• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil HD |OT|

Pooya

beyond-good-and-evilv7ni.jpg

Product Info
Official Website
http://beyond-good-and-evil.ubi.com/beyond-good-and-evil-hd/en-US/home/
  • Published by Ubisoft
  • Original Developer: Ubisoft Montpellier
  • Designer: Michael Ancel
  • Composer: Christophe Héral
  • HD Version Developer: Ubisoft Shanghai
  • Genre: Action-Adventure
  • Platforms: Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network
  • Price: 800MSP, $10
  • Release Dates: XBLA: March 2 2011, PSN: June 2011 (out now on EU PSN Store)
  • Ratings:
    ESRB: T
    PEGI: 7+
  • Marketplace Page
  • Boxart
    boxartz7sp.jpg
  • Achievements & Trophies
    capturewnok.png

What's New in HD Version?
720p 60fps, improved textures, 16:9 Widescreen, improved audio and Leaderboards.
settinghojc.jpg

The game is set in the fictional world of Hillys, a remote mining planet in Sector 4, in the year 2435. The planet comes under siege by an alien species called the DomZ, causing the Alpha Section, a group of mysterious soldiers headed by General Kehck, to step up with promises of protecting the populace.
bge_ca_01wp86.jpg

hyllisconceptarttrf0.jpg

Jade
jade-beyond_good_26_evlmxx.png

Jade is the protagonist and player character of the Beyond Good & Evil series. A sassy/strong tomboy who throughout her whole life grew up on Hillys where war is the only subject of discussion. Jade has been an orphan throughout her whole childhood, with only her camera which is the only link to her origins. She was eventually brought in by her adoptive uncle, Pey'j, who took care of her like she were his own daughter. Jade eventually gains a job as a photographer and started her own business: "Jade Reporting" and gets money from various companies that are interested in her skills with a camera. Along with Pey'j she lives at the lighthouse shelter along with six other orphans and a dog name Woof

Pey'j
peyjax90.png

Pey'j is a cross between a pig and a human. He is Jade's uncle, and runs the lighthouse orphanage with her. He is also an expert mechanic, using his wrench as his main tool throughout the game.

Double H
doublehll0gkpht.png

Double H is an operative of the IRIS Network , and a main character in Beyond Good And Evil. He wears a military suit of armour throughout the whole game, donning his helmet for battle and to ram through metal bars.

IRIS Network
irisrmcffnvy.jpg

The IRIS Network is an underground organization that dispenses information regarding the war against the DomZ and the betrayal of key military, government, and corporate entities through their publication, IRIS.

Alpha Section

alpha_poster4a3o.jpg
bge_art_0657uc.jpg

Alpha Section is a military force that serves as the defenders against the DomZ.
The majority of Hillys praises them as heroes for fighting off the DomZ, however, they have been questioned by those who believe they reek of conspiracy, noting that the DomZ invasions haven't decreased either in frequency or in size since Alpha Section took over the Hillys government.

DomZ
domzfuf2.jpg

The DomZ are the alien invaders, very bony in appearance, that thrive off the energy of other living beings. They begin attacking the Hillys, causing the Alpha Sections to take charge, although they prove ineffective at defending the land.

gameplayrthx.jpg

Beyond Good & Evil is an action-adventure game with elements of puzzle-solving and stealth-based games. Players control the protagonist, Jade, from a third-person perspective. Jade can run, move stealthily, jump over obstacles and pits, climb ladders, push or bash in doors and objects, and flatten herself against walls. As Jade, players investigate installations in search of the truth about a war with an alien threat.
609596_20110223_screeniukg.jpg

In the game's interior spaces, players solve puzzles and make their way past enemies in order to reach areas containing photographic evidence. Jade's main tools are her Daï-jo combat staff (a melee weapon), discs for attacking at range, and a camera. Jade's health decreases when attacked by enemies, and health can be restored by using fictional food items "Starkos" and "K-Bups".
combatpulj.jpg

At times, it is only possible to advance in the game with the help of other characters. The characters are computer-controlled, and players direct them via contextual commands. For example, the player can order them to perform a "super attack", either pounding the ground to bounce enemies into the air, allowing the player to hit them from long distances, or knocking them off balance, making them vulnerable to attack.These allies also possess a health bar and are incapacitated if their health is depleted.

In addition to obtaining evidence and completing assignments, Jade's camera can be used to take pictures of animal species in exchange for currency and scan objects to reveal more information about the environment.
bge_ca_023mom.jpg

When the "Gyrodisk Glove" is obtained, Jade can attack enemies or activate devices from a distance using the camera interface.There are also various mini-games and sub-missions offered by cleverly designed and charmingly acted NPCs scattered throughout the world.
hovercraft67s4.jpg

A hovercraft is used to travel around the world, and also used for racing and in other minigames. Later, spaceship Beluga is acquired. The hovercraft can park on board the spaceship. Both vehicles require upgrades in order to reach new areas and progress through the game. Upgrades are purchased using pearls that are collected throughout the game. The vehicles have a boost ability, and can be repaired using a "Repair Pod" if damaged by enemies.
bge_hd_bild5km7z0ui1.jpg

The main city serves as a hub, allowing the player access to the various areas that must be explored in order to expose the conspiracy.

It takes most players about 10 hours to complete the story, doing side activities and collecting all the items can take as long as 20 hours.

Menus

beyondgoodevil_236314bsnlw.jpg

beyondgoodevil_236315biusy.jpg

beyondgoodevil_236289btuui.jpg

ost37cb.jpg

squareenixmusic.com
The most interesting and unusual thing about Héral's work is the sheer variety of vocals that lend a quirky, contemporary flair to many of the song. From the calypso vibes of "Mammago Garage" to the funky "Akuda Propaganda" and the bizarrely kooky "Fun and Mini-Games," Héral's themes are a hoot, performed in a bizarre mélange of Spanish, French, and English. Many tracks without singing include a capella work, with vocal beatboxing mixed into much of the sneaking and battle music. "Behind Enemy Lines" and "Fear the Reaper" may sound like they use techno samples, but on closer examinations much of the music is just a human voice reinterpreted. There's even some classical choral work in "Dancing with DomZ" and "Sins of the Father" while a guttural chorus of alien voices brilliantly punctuates several battle tracks.

Héral also creates beautiful music for the more peaceful and contemplative sections of the game, with tracks such as "Home Sweet Home" and "Hyllian Suite" bursting with melody and a certain world music sensibility. The wistful piano in "Thoughtful Reflections" is especially affecting. The final track, "Redemption," ties all the various threads together, with moving instrumental performances and a wordless boy soprano (Héral's son Patrice) building to an explosive choral rendition of the main theme. Sound quality is generally excellent, with orchestral performances by the Orchestre de Création du Languedoc mixed with Héral's synths and vocalizations.

The game's commercial failure meant that no official album was released. Héral himself rectified this when he released an officially sanctioned suite of music from the game as a free digital download on his MySpace page. Héral's arrangement contains most of the important music from the game, but in many ways is hardly an ideal listening experience. In fact, it occasionally seems more like a fan-made game rip than an official release from the composer.

Some Samples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6GKCObmH-k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2prV0pLxv4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxfbwoRG_Wg

previewslnq6.jpg

Reviews
Metacritic
Gameinformer 9.25/10 <- the review is not on the site anymore! probably posted sooner than it should.
If you're among the majority of gamers who didn't play Beyond Good & Evil when it originally came out for PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube, you have no excuse for passing up its new form.

Eurogamer 9/10
It certainly shows that Ubisoft recognises the value of its overlooked cult favourite, and bodes well for the treatment of the long overdue sequel.

Gamersyde Review

Previews

Gamespot
Ricardo Torres said:
The last time we played Beyond Good & Evil HD, the game had just been announced and was being shown for the first time. The playable version we tried at the time looked promising and hinted at the potential of its HD makeover. The latest version we played at Microsoft's press event made it clear that a lot of progress has been made on the game. The cave, hovercraft, and stealth sequences we played were comfortably familiar and looked fantastic. We're especially pleased to hear that the game's achievements will be geared toward encouraging players to explore the rich world and snap pictures of all the wildlife. While earning that achievement may not be for everyone, we have to say that those who haven't played the game need to spend some time off the beaten path and do some exploring when they get it. Exploration is often rewarded due to the fact that the world of Hillys is dense with content in all sorts of places.

There's not much left to say about the upcoming game other than that it looks great and that anyone who missed the game when it came out should snap it up when it's released. We reckon many folks will be surprised at how forward thinking the game's story is and how clever the gameplay can be.
Eurogamer
Simon Parkin said:
So the answer to the question of whether it's wrong to be excited by spending time with Jade in high definition is: no, not at all. The only definition that ever really mattered in Beyond Good and Evil was found beneath the skin, and it's as sharp today as it ever was.

it's important to give appropriate credit to Ubisoft Shanghai for what seems like an assured, technically accomplished overhaul.

The game appears to breeze along at 60 frames per second and loading times have been vastly reduced. The updated textures and models solidify and add detail to what were always fairly handsome clusters of polygons.

The world of Hillys may not have had its boundaries expanded, but it has been smoothed and rendered for a modern audience. With the help of the extra definition we see creator Michel Ancel's vision more clearly.

The addition of leaderboards, no doubt to ensure the game falls in line with Xbox Live Arcade technical certification requirements, seems a little superfluous. But alongside the introduction of achievements and trophies, these new features do nothing to diminish BGE's appeal.

Gamepro

Andy Burt said:

Just to allay any fears that the remake somehow fouled everything up, we can safely say that the updated graphics look great. Playing on the Xbox 360, the HD overhaul now ironically gives the serious game a more cartoony Ratchet and Clank-style look than the original did. We can't be sure, but the game definitely looked like it was running at 60 frames per second as well, and animations are buttery smooth.

My take: Beyond Good & Evil HD is the same game you played (or didn't play) back in 2003, which is a good thing. The game certainly had a few dissenters the first time around, but for the most part it was praised as a wonderful action adventure, and now would probably be a good time to check it out for yourself, especially considering the stellar job Ubisoft Shanghai did reworking the game into HD.

Wang Xu explains how the remake was made

Eurogamer said:
"From the beginning expectations were set very high: this would not be a quick and dirty port to make a quick buck, but instead a polished HD overhaul that would do justice to the greatness of the original, no matter how much time and resources would be needed.
"Michel was always very clear on what he wanted for the game. We had regular milestones to show the game's progress, and to get his feedback and approval.
mediabytw.jpg

Screenshots

1080p captures here
http://www.gamereactor.eu/images/?productid=9749&id=236314#
compression is pretty bad though.

New Artworks:
http://static9.cdn.ubi.com/en-US/images/beyondgoodandevilhd/Bge-bg_body.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/bgehd-project-1920x1084a0f.jpg

Trailers & Videos:
"I'm a Traitor " Trailer
Beyond Good & Evil HD Teaser Trailer
Beyond Good & Evil HD Slaughterhouse Racing Gameplay Movie
Beyond Good & Evil HD Whale Watching Gameplay Movie
Beyond Good & Evil HD Bridge Collapse Gameplay Movie
Beyond Good & Evil HD CES Demo
Beyond Good & Evil HD Daily Demo: Beyond Good & Evil HD 1
Xbox Live Arcade House Party Trailer

becks said:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He will return!
michel_ancelssju.jpg

Note: text of setting and gameplay sections for this OT are from BG&E wikia and BG&E entry on wikipedia.

TimmiT

I already bought the PC version a while ago on Steam, but I'll probably double dip on the XBLA version.

I will purchase this game. Have wanted to run through Hillys again for a while now.

Is the game 1080p native or just 1080p capable?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Fantastic game! The XBLA rendition of the box cover leaves some things to be desired though. ^^

Great OP.

Corto

Gorgeous OP! A thing of beauty. The game deserves it. Though I'm replaying it on PC I will double dip when it reaches PSN.

Bernbaum

Bought this for the first Xbox early this gen but I shelved the console and the disc never got touched for want of backwards compatibility on the 360.

Bought it for Steam and the framerate would die in the arse whenever the game tried to render water. Didn't gel with the kb/m controls and the third-party forced gamepad controls weren't ideal.

Thrilled to bits to see this re-release.

I will buy this day one.

It's been a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time coming.

One of the best games of all-time, so if you don't buy this you're both an idiot and a horrible person for not giving Ubisoft reason to hurry the fuck up with the sequel.

Can't wait.

Pooya

_Alkaline_ said:
I will purchase this game. Have wanted to run through Hillys again for a while now.

1080p native, there are 1080p captures on gamereactor, link is in the Media section in the OP, compression is bad tohugh, ~150k jpg.

StuBurns

Banned
I will buy this (although on PSN, so in a little while) if you can now invert the camera controls. Someone please give me the good news I wish for.

Empty

nice work miladesn. you do the game justice with that kickass op. love the pieces of art you posted.

going to dip again on this one, the price is good and i'm due another replay. but mostly i'm just happy that so many more gamers are going to be able to experience it, the game is such a joy.

I've got 800 points and a PSN card set aside to get both versions, if the fate of BG&E2 is resting on how well this sells then I'm going to make sure I help the cause.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am guessing Ubisoft isn't going to do something like release this as a patch to the PC version, or even try to sell them.

I am also assuming Ubisoft actually made new content for the visuals and didn't just report the PC version.

It's hilarious how so many companies charge 1200MP for mappacks and other trollop, when this multi-hour fully featured game is 800MP. Well done Ubi!

Feindflug

_Alkaline_ said:

Yep from what we know this is running at 1080p.

Also some info about the frame-rate from a recent Eurogamer article.

Wang Xu said:
For instance, one thing he (Michel Ancel) really insisted on was to push the frame rate to a constant 60 frame per second as it was part what he thinks of a complete next-generation HD experience.

Michel Ancel = <3.

Can't freakin' wait. :)

big_z

own it on pc. will not be buying this. ubisoft is lazy, they could have at least improved the graphics a bit, instead they just ported the pc version.

worth buying if you never played the game though.

MNC

AKA Beyond Good & Evil PC version OT. Not to be an ass or anything, looks great, but there are no new assets I can see of, and it looks like it's the PC version. Still need to finish this one time.

Crazetex

I support this so, so much. I never played the original - although as soon as I ever see a copy I will - but the idea and quality of this title has always wowed me.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
They push crappy HD ports for the PS3 but once they actually make something half-decent they can't even bother to give us a date?

I will buy, at a low price apparently. A friend of mine had it on the Xbox and although I liked the game, I never played a large amount of it. Now is my chance.

kinoki said:
They push crappy HD ports for the PS3 but once they actually make something half-decent they can't even bother to give us a date?
Probably part of the deal with MS, it's part of the current XBLA promotion like the Summer of Arcade or whatever they're calling this one.

Feep

Banned
mediabytw.jpg

Well if this ain't just the CUTEST. I love you, Jade.

If I were running for GAF president, I would do so on a platform of insta-bans for anyone who ever admitted that they hadn't, at some point, played this game.

BUY IT.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Zeouterlimits said:
Probably part of the deal with MS, it's part of the current XBLA promotion like the Summer of Arcade or whatever they're calling this one.

Probably. Still think it's crappy business practices from Ubisoft... unlike everything else they do.

Top Bottom