• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil HD |OT|

szaromir

Banned
miladesn said:
[*]Boxart
boxartz7sp.jpg
Jade: Angry Bitch edition?

Vexidus

One of my fav games ever, and I've been itching to replay it! I already have it for PS2 and PC, but I'm gonna triple dip on day 1 for PSN.

The more units this thing sells, the better. Still holding onto the dream that is BG&E2..

Can't wait. Always wanted to play this but the performance of the PS2 version back in the days was just.... well, guess... Beyond good and evil. ^^

Bought this on xbox for £20 years ago, played the first area and some of the hub world stuff, ended up trading it in a month later because I is dum derp.

I was unable to get into the game back then, my love for racing games was too high I guess so a game like this was just not catching my interest, I am willing to try again with this version.

Ramenman

SO PUMPEDDDDD \o/

szaromir said:
Jade: Angry Bitch edition?

Watch the trailer pal, it's Jade "Angry Videogame Badass" edition. But I hear that kind of things sells better anyway so it's fine (since the game is still the same). It's almost false advertising though at this point D:

Don't know why they didn't use official art for the boxart though.

kazuma_pt said:
this should've come out on pc, the original release runs like crap on modern systems =\

Well I hear some people have problems with it but mine runs just fine with Anti-Aliasing and 60 FPS. There's some box-unchecking to be done in the settings app I think.

Still gonna buy it on 360, just to be sure :D

Corto

Ramenman said:
Well I hear some people have problems with it but mine runs just fine with Anti-Aliasing and 60 FPS. There's some box-unchecking to be done in the settings app I think.

Still gonna buy it on 360, just to be sure :D

Yep. You need to run the bg&e settings app and disable HW Vertex Processing on the advanced settings. The game runs beautifully on my new PC. It was one of the first games I installed and played on this new rig.

Aaron

_dementia said:
This is my favorite game I've never finished. I'll rectify that with this release.
PS3 or 360? Does either one run better?
I'm pretty sure it's a 360 exclusive, timed probably.

Door2Dawn said:
What is so great about this game anyway? It looks boring to me.
I found the bit I played quite enthralling and immersive. The universe is great.
I suppose it's not for everyone though, don't feel left out.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I own it for GCN and completely beat it when it came out (thank you X-Play for making me buy it). I'll download it on PS3 when it's available.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Cool thread. I tried playing this on Gamecube back in the day, it seemed cool but my disc stopped working just a couple hours into the game, so I'd definitely like to give it another shot. 'Spose I could just get the PC version but I believe it goes for $10 so I might as well just wait for the PS3 version for trophies and less hassle with tweaking the game to get it up to speed with my rig.

Ramenman

Door2Dawn said:

I think "more than the sum of its parts" is a good way to describe the game, which is probably why it bombed back then. Terrible lack of communication on Ubi's side, combined with the fact that when you explain what the game is about it just sounds boring or nothing new D:

Which is pretty sad because it achieved back in 2003 some of the stuff that is highly praised today : cinematic presentation (seamless blend between cut-scenes and gameplay, with set-pieces à la Uncharted), multi-gameplay, semi-open world, etc.

And even today, after 8 years of game releases, it still has a unique vibe in some ways. (which is not something that new trailer will help you see though. Yurk.)

All of the above do not mean that everyone who plays it likes it though (some people don't), but at $10 a pop if you like action/adventure games it would be a little crime no to try it out.

epmode

Drkirby said:
I am guessing Ubisoft isn't going to do something like release this as a patch to the PC version
No chance. I'd rebuy a PC port in an instant if it included proper gamepad support. Xpadder is a lousy alternative.

I suppose I'll just get the XBLA version to tide me over.
Snuggler said:
'Spose I could just get the PC version
Don't. It's a terrible port. No pad support, lots of menus that are only navigated with a keyboard, permanently letterboxed (even in widescreen resolutions), etc.

I have it on the GCN, probably gonna wait for it to come to the PSN before I buy it again.

Does the game remind anyone else of Don Bluth?

Empty

Door2Dawn said:

ramenman is exactly right when he says that it's more than the sum of its parts. it's definitely one of those games where there are loads of solid but not spectacular elements to enjoy but it's all about how it resonates as an overall experience.

- good story and characters. it's not tolstoy or anything, but it's charming and entertaining in a quality cartoon way, sometimes rather poignant and you do get very attached to the different characters.
- game is jam packed with personality. it boasts a really creative, colourful and unique feeling world that's a joy to explore and populated with enjoyable side characters and fun situations. it does a single player co-op thing a lot so you're often having partners comment on the gameplay situations with fun dialogue. there's loads of little details in there to find, the world changes a bit as the plot progresses as an example. just feels like a game that's had a lot of care put into it.
- genre blending gameplay. stealth, exploration, zelda style puzzle dungeons, collectathon (don't worry) phototaking, light combat, racing. none are amazing or that deep but they are fun and all come together really nicely, giving the game lots of variety without making it feel disjointed as an experience.
- pacing. it's not too long, about ten-twelve hours, and full of different ideas. when you want to push forward you can, though you can take it at your own pace too. the world is quite small, but very dense. the side quests come together nicely and all integrate well into the main quest. it's a very tightly designed game in general.
- seriously amazing soundtrack.

daycru

fart town usa said:
I have it on the GCN, probably gonna wait for it to come to the PSN before I buy it again.

Does the game remind anyone else of Don Bluth?
Your username is awesome.

Speaking of awesome, Beyond Good and Evil. So great. Never finished it due to a glitch, will buy day one.

zoukka

God I hated the sneaking in this game.

But still I finished it back in the days. The final boss was kinda epic.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I never got a chance to play this game the first time it was released, so I cant wait for Wednesday.

All I need now is a arcade or psn release of Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.

TimmiT said:
I already bought the PC version a while ago on Steam, but I'll probably double dip on the XBLA version.

Honestly this is a rare occasion where I would not recommend the PC version. It's plagued by issues with sound and graphics on modern PCs and lacks gamepad support. I have it on PC as well, but 800 points is well worth not having to deal with the hassles of the PC version.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I never played this game (PC version is horrible).

I probably won't play it right away, but since it's only 800 (in a world were things like this go for 1200 points), I'll buy it on release day (specially since hardcorps uprising didn't turn out so well, so I'll wait for a deal on that).

I hope it's a good port.

Pyrokai

I loved this game so much back when it came out. Can't wait to get it (when/if it hopefully hits PSN).

I really, really hope Ubisoft is re-releasing this game because it wants to create some buzz around the BG&E brand again, prepping for release of the second game. OMG PLZ BE TRUE

teiresias

If they want my money that "TBA" on the PSN release date had better change to a real, relatively soonish, actual date soon.

I'm liking how all the gems I missed last gen (BG&E, Ico, SotC etc.) are getting HD rereleases. Will get this day one on PS3. Gimme a date please, Ubisoft. :(

Empty

Pyrokai said:
I really, really hope Ubisoft is re-releasing this game because it wants to create some buzz around the BG&E brand again, prepping for release of the second game. OMG PLZ BE TRUE

them pricing it at 800 points is a good sign. they could easily go for the now standard of 1200, but they chose not to, which could easily be because they want to get it to as many gamers as possible so as to help market the sequel.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This is so bought. It'd be nice if we had a PSN release date.

Grisby

This had better sell.

Ahem, with that said its been forever since I played the original on my xbox. Bought that PC version but never got around to doing a run through. Can't wait for this one with the achievements and faster framerate.

How bad ass would oit be to get a sneak preview of BGE2? If there was any time to give some new info it would be now.

zoukka said:
God I hated the sneaking in this game.

But still I finished it back in the days. The final boss was kinda epic.

YES. The stealth sections in this game are TERRRIIIIBLLLEEEEE. Everything else is kinda good. Though I'd rather play the Jak series.

Hesemonni

Banned
I bought the game on Gamecube couple of years ago. Never played it longer than two hrs or so. Don't know why...

BUT figured I'd make this the first game I buy on PSN and finally finish it.

*cue Death is the Road to Awe*

E: Wtf no PSN date?

Empty

Minamu said:
Is it worth it if I haven't been bitten by the nostalgia bug because I've never played it before?

it's not that expensive and the game holds up very well thanks to its art style and elements of its design, so if you like story driven action-adventure games, then go for it!

Top Bottom