• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil HD |OT|

O D I N

800 pts? SOLD.

Well, I was gonna buy it anyway. But it's nice knowing I won't be spending a ton of money. Can't wait to actually play through this game.

wipeout364

It was a pretty good game though I never understood the high regard some people seem to have for it. Gameplay mechanics were in many cases not fantastic if I remember correctly although I played it at release on Xbox so it has been awhile. Characters were memorable though and a sequel could correct some of the problems with the original so I will buy it to help get that supported.

Jhoan

I'm definitely double dipping on this game day one. I have the Gamecube version which I played through 3 times. I loved the hell of out of it back when I played it and it's themes, and I'm gonna love it now even more,. I don't wanna look at the achievements, but since it's exploring type, it should be fun. You could get the Beluga very early in the game, provided you find the password, which I'm not gonna spoil. I never thought the pearl hunting was annoying. One last thing: the view of Hillys from the Beluga is fantastic and it's one of the prettiest vistas I've seen in a game. Looking at this thread is bringing back the memories, so nice job OP.

EDIT: Here's fun fact on how I got the game: I traded Animal Crossing for it. Suffice to say, it was well worth it as I enjoyed it a lot more than AC despite all the NES games that it had, so I didn't get it when it originally launched.

Y2Kev said:
Liked this game until I had to triforce....pearl hunt and got bored.

Nicely they have a map in the shop that shows all of the pearls in the game, and it's nowhere near as long as the triforce hunt... there are caves with 10-20 pearls in.

Hyunkel6

I never played the original. Is it one of those games that people play for the nostalgia even if the mechanisms of the game have not aged well? (I'm not saying that they did not). I'm just skeptical about buying another HD remake that everyone is praising. I bought the Perfect Dark hd remake on xbla a while ago, but couldn't get into it because of the controls and shooting mechanisms.

kuYuri

Had the PS2 version for a few years and played maybe an hour of it. It's been in my backlog since, then this got announced. I'm definitely giving it another chance.

pringles

This game is fucking amazing and everyone who hasn't played it before and doesn't buy it this time around is a bad person.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that everyone who doesn't buy it ATLEAST twice is a mediocre individual. More sales=more chance of a sequel. I bought it for Xbox when it was released, I've bought it on Steam, and I'll buy this version too.

Simply put: Buy it, or keep living that pitiful existance you call your "life" until you die and your soul forever burns in hell.

Chiggs

Gold Member
PC version doesn't support widescreen or gamepads and the textures are the same as the console version. Will this get released on Steam?

wind_steaker said:
Nicely they have a map in the shop that shows all of the pearls in the game, and it's nowhere near as long as the triforce hunt... there are caves with 10-20 pearls in.
Plus you get to
FLY
. That alone made it awesome!

The only part of the game I didn't like was the 30 second cutscene at the end of the game, because I felt it took the wonderful narrative in a bit of a boring direction. Probably my only criticism of the game.

Myriadis

One of the few games I played over and over again.10 times at least.I know that I didn't like the stealth section at first,too.But on my last playthroughs I enjoyed them completely,because they add a lot of tension in the game.Definitely a must-buy for those who never played the original version.

Empty

Hyunkel6 said:
I never played the original. Is it one of those games that people play for the nostalgia even if the mechanisms of the game have not aged well? (I'm not saying that they did not). I'm just skeptical about buying another HD remake that everyone is praising. I bought the Perfect Dark hd remake on xbla a while ago, but couldn't get into it because of the controls and shooting mechanisms.

i don't think so. i'm not nostalgic for the game as like many many fans i only played it this generation (shame on me, yes), it's more of a cult hit than something people are nostalgic for. it has certainly aged much better than perfect dark, it plays like a modern game and if you don't dig it then your non-technical complaints today will likely be the same as complaints you would likely have had if you played it in 2003.

Roi

I remember buying this for the Cube, playing it for 4 hours and after that never picking it up again.

SykoTech

Never played this one, but the good word of mouth and intriguing footage of the sequel have me very interested. Hopefully the PSN release isn't too far off.

AniHawk

Foliorum Viridum said:
Plus you get to
FLY
. That alone made it awesome!

The only part of the game I didn't like was the 30 second cutscene at the end of the game, because I felt it took the wonderful narrative in a bit of a boring direction. Probably my only criticism of the game.

BGE's story gets really crammed in there at the very end. I get the feeling that Ancel's guys were really being pushed to get it out for the holiday so UbiSoft wouldn't support it in any way because Ubisoft is stupid.

Empty

also a note for first time players: the game has a point of no return it. it happens when you'd expect based on the story, so you'll know. just be warned if you want to explore the world/take more photos.

XenoRaven

I'm hoping the hype isn't going to kill things for people who have never played it. One of the things I loved about this game was the surprise I got when I loaded it up. Everything about it was unassuming. Never heard of the game when I saw it on the shelf. It was brand new and hit at a discount price ($30 I think?) which to me signified a bomb. Then I had a friend recommend it to me so I picked it up not expecting much.

Really there's hard to point at anything in this game and say it's "great." But it does a lot of things "good." Then it takes the good things and weaves them together in seamlessly. From there it wraps it up in a charm that pulls you in and makes you feel part of the world.

It's hard to describe really, but I would say the best way to experience the game is to take the advice you've seen in this thread and buy the game, but expect it to be mediocre instead of some epic adventure. As you progress you'll find yourself really liking the game. After you finish it, it will leave a lasting impression on and you won't really know why.

Of course I can't really speak for everyone. That's just how it went for me. Just go in with no expectations and you should be in good shape.

AniHawk said:
BGE's story gets really crammed in there at the very end. I get the feeling that Ancel's guys were really being pushed to get it out for the holiday so UbiSoft wouldn't support it in any way because Ubisoft is stupid.

At least Ubisoft let that, XIII and PoP get made.

Emitan

Azure Phoenix said:
I've got 800 points and a PSN card set aside to get both versions, if the fate of BG&E2 is resting on how well this sells then I'm going to make sure I help the cause.
Same here. Only own the PC version so I've never beaten it because the port runs like shit on my computer, and even with fixes it still feels janky. Can't wait to finally beat one of my favorite games ever!

Lijik

Y2Kev said:
Liked this game until I had to triforce....pearl hunt and got bored.
I wound up being stuck having to do this on my first playthough to get the last hovercraft piece.

Then I learned on my second time
theres a secret dungeon in a nonactive volcano or something that gives you a shitton of pearls at the end that the bartender tells you about

Lingitiz

Really interested to see what this game is all about after all these years. Excited for Wednesday! 800 points can't go wrong...

This game got me back into video games. Of all things, a magazine ad got me to buy it....full price during the minute that it was on shelves and not bargain bins. Loved the idea of a government conspiracy story, then the solid Zelda-esque gameplay was a nice surprise.

yeah day 1! can't wait to play it again.

SykoTech

XenoRaven said:
I'm hoping the hype isn't going to kill things for people who have never played it. One of the things I loved about this game was the surprise I got when I loaded it up. Everything about it was unassuming. Never heard of the game when I saw it on the shelf. It was brand new and hit at a discount price ($30 I think?) which to me signified a bomb. Then I had a friend recommend it to me so I picked it up not expecting much.

Really there's hard to point at anything in this game and say it's "great." But it does a lot of things "good." Then it takes the good things and weaves them together in seamlessly. From there it wraps it up in a charm that pulls you in and makes you feel part of the world.

It's hard to describe really, but I would say the best way to experience the game is to take the advice you've seen in this thread and buy the game, but expect it to be mediocre instead of some epic adventure. As you progress you'll find yourself really liking the game. After you finish it, it will leave a lasting impression on and you won't really know why.

Of course I can't really speak for everyone. That's just how it went for me. Just go in with no expectations and you should be in good shape.

I'm definitely not going to go in expecting to play the most flawless game ever. I'm expecting a great and memorable experience overall, sure. But I'm prepared to deal with a few chore-worthy moments and general aging as well.

Suairyu

Banned
Hyunkel6 said:
It's good, not brilliant. A case of a game being more than the sum of its parts. I've never been quite sure why it was hailed as some lost masterpiece cruelly ignored by the ignorant gaming populace - it's a quality adventure title, but little more.

That said, the character design is brilliant and Jade is one of the best female role models available in gaming. Not that such a feat is difficult, but the character deserves it.

Emitan

Does it come with free cheese? lol
beyond-good-and-evil-cheese-head-promotion.jpg

Still remember playing the demo (first part of the game) on the PS2, didn't really like it. Especially the style, characters etc.

But for 10$/€ I will buy it on PSN. Or maybe after a price reduction to punish this stupid time exclusivity :p

Emitan

SolidusDave said:
Still remember playing the demo (first part of the game) on the PS2, didn't really like it. Especially the style, characters etc.

But for 10$/€ I will buy it on PSN. Or maybe after a price reduction to punish this stupid time exclusivity :p
How far did the demo go? It really picks up after you go through the island cave (your first mission).

I recently played the Steam version. Found it to be a good, solid game (but far from great), charming, with a nice gameworld and some pretty good music. Unfortunately, the awful camera (coupled sometimes with those boring stealth segments) almost killed whatever good time I was having with the game. Combat and puzzles are nothing to write home about either.

Gileadxv

Banned
I bought the original on day one for the XBox. I will most certainly double dip for a day one purchase on this as well :D Jade is a female protagonist done right.

Billychu said:
How far did the demo go? It really picks up after you go through the island cave (your first mission).

I can't really remember, but I think it was a short demo, ending after that tentacle thing (or I lost my patience? ^^).

Never got the chance to play this when it was first around, was too busy playing World of Warcraft. Will definitely be picking this up.

Emitan

SolidusDave said:
I can't really remember, but I think it was a short demo, ending after that tentacle thing (or I lost my patience? ^^).
That's the first 5 minutes of gameplay. No way that was the extent of the demo.

watkinzez

I did not know Christophe had a website. So awesome that after 8 years we're getting not one, but two new games with his music. <3

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I'm glad that Jade looks "ethnic."

I have the Gamecube version, guess I'll have to decide on whether I want to double dip...

mr_nexus

Banned
I had the PS2 version of this game but there was a glitch somewhere around the last level and I was unable to finish it. Needless to say, I will be getting this version.

Top Bottom