• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BGR Rumor: Apple to phase out iPad Mini / JPN blog: Apple to phase in mini iPad Pro

Majine

Banned
MacRumors said:
Waiting for an iPad mini 5? You may be disappointed. BGR, citing a source close to Apple, claims the 7.9-inch tablet is being phased out. The report doesn't offer a timeline as to when the iPad mini will be discontinued, and its sources couldn't confirm if the iPad mini 4 will remain on sale for a period of time.

Apple is rumored to introduce a new 10.5-inch iPad Pro as early as the WWDC 2017 keynote on June 5, so it's conceivable to think the iPad mini could be axed then if the report is accurate. Apple's tablet lineup would then consist of the iPad Pro in 12.9-inch, 10.5-inch, and 9.7-inch sizes, and the new low-cost 9.7-inch iPad.

Apple launched the original iPad mini in 2012. Since the iPhone 6 Plus launched in 2014, it's been speculated that the 5.5-inch smartphone may be at least partially cannibalizing sales of the iPad mini, but Apple doesn't break out its tablet sales numbers on a model-by-model basis, so it's hard to say for sure.

Nearly two months ago, Apple discontinued the iPad mini 2 and stopped selling a 32GB version of the iPad mini 4. It also lowered the starting price of the 128GB iPad mini 4 to $399, which was previously the 32GB model's price point.

Japanese blog Mac Otakara claimed Apple would release a 7.9-inch iPad Pro in March with a Smart Connector, True Tone display, four speakers and microphones, a 12-megapixel rear camera with True Tone flash, and an improved processor, but it's already May and the rumor has yet to materialize.

Source

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That sucks. I get that larger phones might take away from tablet share, but the Mini screen is still quiet a bit bigger than the Plus.

It's also still a smaller compact size than the regular 9.7".

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Makes sense. Why would you have 4 tablet models when overall market is down.

So its now

Air
Pro Mini
Pro

The Mini makes for great car installs. That sucks.

I also miss (with my 9.7 vs the Mini) being able to put it in my back pocket.

I get the argument that it cannibalizes higher-end iPads and/or that it's a product without a real niche now that Apple has Plus-sized iPhones, but even though it isn't a product for me, this is a shame, IMO.

Tim Cook is too interested in raising the average sale price of Apple's devices and, combined with Jony Ive's less-than-great impulses, it's gradually turning Apple into a boutique brand instead of a luxury-for-the-masses one.

I'd much rather see them identify their problems with the iPad mini and fix them than kill the product outright. iPad hardware has been and continues to be excellent; if they want to encourage people to upgrade more often, they need to foster an environment in which iPads will get higher-end software on them. There's no hardware-power reason Civilizations VI can't be running on iPad Pros, but the App Store is wildly inhospitable to any software priced above $5.

We're gonna see touch/gyro games come to the Switch that could perfectly easily be ported to the iPad but won't be because the business model isn't supported.

NYR

iPad mini was a novel idea and fit a particular niche of customers that wanted something that was sized like an e-reader. Things have changed, the mini came out well before an iPhone with a 5.5 inch screen existed, so the business has changed incredibly since then, the iPhone Plus model is more or less the new mini.

01-home-screens.jpg

Totakeke

Are we ignoring the last line in the quote?

Japanese blog Mac Otakara claimed Apple would release a 7.9-inch iPad Pro in March with a Smart Connector, True Tone display, four speakers and microphones, a 12-megapixel rear camera with True Tone flash, and an improved processor, but it's already May and the rumor has yet to materialize.

DOWN

Banned
iPad mini sucks in a world where you can have an iPhone 7 Plus and a big iPad for those big screen moments

If you thought Mini was a good screen size compromise to dodge tablet monsters but couldn't just work on iPhone 5S sized devices that were major back when Mini launched, you arguably should just have merged the needs into an iPhone 7 Plus by now once the big screen phones took hold.

Maedre

Banned
I use iPad minis since the release of the first mini. It's imho the best format. Light, powerful and handy.

Wouldn't surprise me, the tablet market is shrinking from where it was in the past
It is, in unit sales, but there's been reporting that it's SMALL tablets that are shrinking. Large iPads are actually growing I think.

Also; the Plus phones killed the mini, I think

Vanillalite

iPad mini sucks in a world where you can have an iPhone 7 Plus and a big iPad for those big screen moments

If you thought Mini was a good screen size compromise to dodge tablet monsters but couldn't just work on iPhone 5S sized devices that were major back when Mini launched, you arguably should just have merged the needs into an iPhone 7 Plus by now once the big screen phones took hold.

The Mini screen is still quite​ a bit bigger in terms of usable area though.

If we aren't going square footage there actually is a greater jump 5.5 to 7.9 than 7.9 to 9.7.

FyreWulff

damn. i was given a Mini and loved it. wish i could have a phone in that size because it was exactly comfy for my hands and could fit in my jean pocket still.

Well I guess when my mini dies I'll finally be free of IOS (only got a mini for the 1ish ios only mobile game a year that I felt mad I couldn't play).

Gladly will buy a cheapo amazon tablet next since all I actually care about is light browsing + video.

jrcbandit

Why would they have a 9.7 inch Pro model still if they are replacing it with the 10 inch model that's the same size and smaller bezel? Also, seems short sighted to get rid of mini entirely. It still feels much larger in size than a 5.5 inch screen, and not everyone wants a massive phone. Heck, the iPhone SE is still popular because it can actually fit in the pockets of women's jeans.

damn. i was given a Mini and loved it. wish i could have a phone in that size because it was exactly comfy for my hands and could fit in my jean pocket still.

Unless you're wearing jeans for clowns I don't see how an iPad mini would fit in your pockets.

I had a mini and it was great, but with the 329 9.7 non pro, not sure where a ~300 dollar mini would really fit considering it was older hardware at that price

LiK

Fun littl emachine. I always preferred it. But I can't use my current ones as often cuz processing is too slow for some of the apps I use. Shame.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I had a mini for a while (Until someone borrowed it and refused to return it.) but wasn't using it at all towards the end.

I have a 7+ now and that's enough mini for me. I just wish Apple would make/allow devs to treat the Plus iPhone as a hybrid for app development so we can get some iPad versions of things on the Plus.

muu

Hope they're wrong. I'd rather use my Surface than a regular sized ipad, the mini works well for comics and actually works as a mostly one-hand device. True the 7+ has mostly replaced it, but it really needs an extra inch in size to truly replace it.

Mrbob

RIP best ipad. Regular Ipad is too big and Iphone is too expensive.

Interested in the 7.9" Ipad Pro though.

Servbot24

Banned
Seems like a pretty pointless product to me anyways. I'm not sure how many people find iPhone Plus to be too small yet a regular iPad to be too big.

Here come the anecdotes.

Somnid

It is, in unit sales, but there's been reporting that it's SMALL tablets that are shrinking. Large iPads are actually growing I think.

Also; the Plus phones killed the mini, I think

2-in-1s were growing which is what prompted the Pro to align with the Surface, now though I think those are also sliding back. Tablets across the board are falling, the only ones that buck the trend are Kindle Fires because Amazon changed their strategy from premium to as cheap as possible and it worked. It's unclear if even that will hold though.

And with the discontinuation of the Mini goes any lingering interest I had in the iPad line.

Holding a Mini in portrait mode felt absolutely perfect. I owned a few 9.7" iPads before, but the iPad Mini 2 was the first iPad that really clicked with me. It's aging now, and the Mini 4 has some pretty dated specs for 2017, so spending $400 on one seems difficult to justify.

If they do kill off all 7.9" iPads, I have a feeling the Mini 2 will have been my last iPad purchase.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thread title doesn't reflect content of article.

The original title was Rumor: Apple to discontinue iPad Mini

The article claims they're going to phase out the iPad Mini, and then separately that another source cited in the article claims they're phasing in a mini iPad Pro.

Let's see what I can fit to make this clearer. Edit: I think this is a little closer.

The original title was Rumor: Apple to discontinue iPad Mini

The article claims they're going to phase out the iPad Mini, and then separately that another source cited in the article claims they're phasing in a mini iPad Pro.

Let's see what I can fit to make this clearer. Edit: I think this is a little closer.

"Discontinue" implies too much immediacy, "phase out" seems to more accurately describe Apple letting the aging Mini 4 continue to fester.

At a certain point it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. The sales of the Mini line are dwindling in-part because it has 3.5 year old hardware inside of it.

Vanillalite

The Pro line is such a scam for the average user.

As an average web/email/consumption device it's such overkill.

Plus while there will be a new Mini Pro it'll be priced higher than the current regular non pro iPad.

I can only assume margins weren't worth it for Apple to try and go cheaper than the current new non pro iPad.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Pro line is such a scam for the average user.

As an average web/email/consumption device it's such overkill.

Plus while there will be a new Mini Pro it'll be priced higher than the current regular non pro iPad.

I can only assume margins weren't worth it for Apple to try and go cheaper than the current new non pro iPad.

Yup. And the new cheaper iPad is a step backward with no laminated screen.

I'd love a cheaper 12.9" iPad for consumption

Top Bottom