• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Jobiensis

Lots of lycra vitriol.

Thank you, but I know the laws in my state. I'm under no obligation to share a lane with you, and it is actually incredibly dangerous to do so. I will ride abreast and take the lane, so you don't try to thread the needle at 60mph. A bike lane will make this a non issue (although you are now required to still give 3ft when passing), but don't confuse a shoulder with a bike lane.

Yeah, I do run my share of traffic lights, an unfortunate requirement to not getting killed and actually getting somewhere. Some cities' lights don't respond to cyclists. Left hand turn lanes are a great place to get run down from behind. Stop signs I'll roll if it is safe and no one is there, pretty standard fare on the back roads.

I don't like riding on MUPs, most are a little too dangerous to be doing at speed. There is one I use (in one direction) for 20 minute tests, but it almost always has a serious headwind that keeps the speed under 25mph, it is straight and almost no one is on it during the weekday afternoons.

I can't count the number of times I've had people buzz me in the bike lane, cut me off doing right/left turns, tell me to ride on the sidewalk, illegally try to pass me when I was already exceeding the speed limit, throw things at me. Almost all people/drivers are courteous and seem to understand the laws, but some will never be happy, and have no problem using their 2-ton vehicle as a weapon.

People just need to slow the fuck down and chill out. The dangerous pests are auto drivers that kill tens of thousands people a year in the U.S.

I think that most people over here agree that a cyclist should use the space he is allowed to use. Over here it is recommended to use the complete lane on a public road. You should, as it were, act like a car. This way cars can't press alongside when there's oncoming traffic.

Not all roads are created equal though. Some roads are single or 1,5 lane. Like country roads. Riding abreast and using the width of the road is still not a bad thing. Letting motorized traffic slow down isn't that bad either. But make way when someone needs to pass. This can happen in a controlled manner and should minimize aggravation from both parties.

As for city traffic... sucks to be you if the infrastructure isn't suited for both bicycles and cars. I guess I'm lucky to be living in the most bicycle friendly country in the world.

My #1 rule of the road: if I see someone doing something stupid, I call them out on it. Sure they might get pissed at you, but cross that bridge when you get there.
Road cyclists in this region (Seattle) can be incredibly annoying and RUDE AS FUCK on public TRAILS. I don't care what they do on the road as long as they obey stop signals, but our trails are for commuters, families, exercise, they are not for racing.

So on my last ride, I did a poll to see if I was just having confirmation bias. But here's the result which was a numerical observation based on a 2.5 hour ride over about 25 miles of the Burke Gilman trail:

1. Road cyclists are more likely to ride two abreast by a massive margin, even more than families. And they DO NOT switch back to one abreast when passing oncoming traffic. They were also the only riders who ignored passing signals when I passed them.
2. Road cyclists almost universally ignored voice signals (heaven forbid they add a two ounce bell to their ride) EXCEPT girls. For some reason, female road cyclists almost universally called out "on your left." Props to them (although many waited until they were actually ON your left, which is far too late).
3. The more expensive the bikes, the douchier the behavior. Felt riders seem to have it in for manners, period.
4. At road crossing, road cyclists ignored the order people arrived at the stop light, and worse, are slower to accelerate than many other bikes, causing a clusterfuck.
5. Recmbent bikes are too slow to be an issue and are all driven by hippies with gray beards.
6. There are no fixies on the trail, I don't know why, but I suspect it's not hip enough.
7. Elliptical bikes are ridiculous.
8. Skateboarders can't really adequately control their longboards when they do that swerve thing to go faster.
9. People walking little dogs on long leashes are the most dangerous, followed by tiny children on training bikes - however that's a good usage case for the trail and it's up to us to avoid them. I crashed into a tree last week when a three year old did a 360 turn in front of me. Ow.
10. I am probably worse.

I've noticed that when I pass someone and say, "on your left", if it's a girl I almost always get a "thank you" in return and guys don't say anything. And if I'm passed without an "on your left" I yell "on your right" at them.

Mascot

I’m sorry, but nobody will ever convince me that a pair of cyclists riding side-by-side at 20mph on a 60mph B-road, casually chatting away to each other and ignoring the queue of cars, vans and trucks building up behind, are not creating a dangerous and avoidable situation for themselves. The vehicle drivers will inevitably become frustrated and impatient, especially if they think the cyclists are taking the piss or blocking the road. Ignore any prevailing by-laws for a minute and whether or not the cyclists are technically ‘allowed’ to ride like this: common sense surely dictates that we cyclists should do as much as possible to avoid confrontations with vehicles, especially those driven by angry or frustrated drivers. It’s about extending common courtesy to your fellow road-users as much as it’s about self-preservation. By riding single file cyclists are giving drivers far safer opportunities to overtake the much slower cyclists with as much clearance as possible. Safer for the cyclists, safer for the drivers, no?
And there’s nothing anti-lycra about any of this. It applies to all cyclists of all denominations.

Jobiensis

I don't particularly care if you respond to 'on your left' as long as you don't go left.

Not all roads are created equal though. Some roads are single or 1,5 lane. Like country roads. Riding abreast and using the width of the road is still not a bad thing. Letting motorized traffic slow down isn't that bad either. But make way when someone needs to pass. This can happen in a controlled manner and should minimize aggravation from both parties.

Agreed, I certainly will make room when it is safe.

By riding single file cyclists are giving drivers far safer opportunities to overtake the much slower cyclists with as much clearance as possible. Safer for the cyclists, safer for the drivers, no?

This isn't true though, all this does is give drivers carte blanche to pass within inches of you. Why can't you just pass them like they are a car? For a 60mph zone, I'm not sure I'd take the lane unless it was a descent. They may be douchebags in your case, but saying to AFRAP (or is it AFLAP in your case?) always is bad advice.

And there’s nothing anti-lycra about any of this. It applies to all cyclists of all denominations.

I was joking, although it's pretty clear who rides on roads regularly and who doesn't. Very few cyclist death's on the road are because they broke traffic laws. Where I live and work, it is relatively safe, although there are certain back roads I'll avoid during certain times.

thomaser

If I'm riding with other people, we usually ride in a line, but sometimes we end up abreast to talk for a while. If a car comes from behind, we shout "car!", and go into a line again to let the car pass. The only times a car might stay behind us for a while is if the road is very narrow and there's a bend coming up with little visibility. If I'm in front and see that the road is clear, I then let the driver know that he can pass us by waving him past.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Riding abreast on a country side road is safer for the riders. And don't give me that bullshit "hogging up all the road" - what, and a car doesn't?

So morally you're correct. Legally you're correct. But practically you are exacerbating the already terrifying hostility shitty drivers have. So I am begging you, don't fucking be that guy. Tractors pull over to let faster traffic pass and they are indestructible and faster than you.

You are making it worse by being inconsiderate and creating a disproportionate problem.

Mascot

This dumb fuck just spent almost an hour trying to get his pedals off the bike with a spanner on one side and an Allen key on the other, turning both in opposite directions and wondering why the bastards wouldn't shift. Checked, double checked and triple-checked the thread direction. Broke two Allen keys and busted a gut before finally realising that all I was doing was trying to twist the pedal shaft. Equal part stupid, equal part funny, equal part ridiculous and equal part embarrassing.

I've change countless pedals over the years and know exactly how to do it. It's no harder than undoing a nut.
I've got a 3D design degree, a post-graduate diploma in engineering and a master's degree in industrial design. I've been designing things that bolt together for twenty years, and I handle nuts and bolts on a daily basis.

Yet this simplest of simple task defeated me.

My only mitigating circumstance was that I was on the phone to someone the whole time trying to talk them through removing a virus, sweeping for malware and doing a system restore on their PC. But still. I should have known.

Anyway, swapped out the pedals and went for a ride aaaaaand... the click is still there.

Even tonight's hangage was shit!

IMG_20140718_163441.jpg

Bottom brackets are either really easy (my bracket is one piece, no exposed bearings) or impossible (my wife's bracket is several pieces and requires a few one-use tools). Good luck.

Mascot

Can't detect any play in the bb. Hope it's something simpler/cheaper.
Just got back from a dawn ride before the bad weather arrives later. Really pleased with the new pedals - so glad to be going back to full SPDs instead of half-and-halfs. Much quicker to engage. And I got the pedals 'free' (plus £10 back) to blow on throwing knives.

A noisy hangage while waiting for the world's longest goods train to pass by:

s_D6vUAq8niVpZL1JgT3l4xPlJFcgL68ticso9JHAVU=w958-h470-no

I had a click in the 6 o'clock position of my peddle stroke recently too, and instead of checking the peddle first I decided to see if there was play in the bottom bracket. There was a tiny amount, so my brain decided "thats the one" and spent about £30 fixing it. Next ride, and the click is still there. It took me another two days (mostly of laziness) to actually decide to look at the peddle, and of course that turned out to be the cause.

I did happen across this massive list of bike noises/solutions, though. So it's not all bad.

thomaser

14803285632_77a22109f0_z.jpg

Tried to hang over the outer side, but that was too risky. Deep water on the left, drop to the right. So I hanged it safely on the inside instead. The back wheel is above ground, I swear.

14617123367_190ccefa62_z.jpg

Same place two days ago. There's a good climb up there, real popular on Strava. Took me 23 minutes two days ago, and only 21 today! Next time I MUST do it in under 20.

Aiustis

So I've been avoiding this major street since March and the construction got all serious, but I road down it today and surprise: they have made a dedicated bike lane down the stretch of it. Not just the painted bike lane, which was there before, but protectors and protective curbs.

So I've been avoiding this major street since March and the construction got all serious, but I road down it today and surprise: they have made a dedicated bike lane down the stretch of it. Not just the painted bike lane, which was there before, but protectors and protective curbs.

Where is this?

waypoetic

Banned
So morally you're correct. Legally you're correct. But practically you are exacerbating the already terrifying hostility shitty drivers have. So I am begging you, don't fucking be that guy. Tractors pull over to let faster traffic pass and they are indestructible and faster than you.

You are making it worse by being inconsiderate and creating a disproportionate problem.

I'm not riding in the middle of the lane when I'm on straights. If there's for example a round about I will however position myself in the middle of the lane for safety reasons And to clarify where I'm going.

In my country the bicycle is classified as a vehicle, so I know my rights and I know the traffic laws.

I'm not riding in the middle of the lane when I'm on straights. If there's for example a round about I will however position myself in the middle of the lane for safety reasons And to clarify where I'm going.

In my country the bicycle is classified as a vehicle, so I know my rights and I know the traffic laws.

I made the mistake of not taking the middle lane when at a roundabout today and a white van driver decided not to wait and almost squashed me, had to jump into the curb. Lesson learned, would rather take the lane than people think they can squeeze past.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Cinci Ohio our cycling infrastructure has had some exponential growth.
That does my heart good to hear. I'll be honest, I'm thankful that here in Florida it's legal to ride on the sidewalk. I have rode on the street before but it's a dangerous experience. Plus I see so many cyclists going the wrong way down the middle of the road and just really pressing their luck. I hate to admit it but more people need to take the time to read cycling law.

I have a new fork on the way. I'm finally going full air with a Fox 34 Float 140mm CTD FIT. My current for is a Rockshox Recon Gold TK 120mm and I just haven't been happy with it. Fingers crossed for a big difference.

That does my heart good to hear. I'll be honest, I'm thankful that here in Florida it's legal to ride on the sidewalk. I have rode on the street before but it's a dangerous experience. Plus I see so many cyclists going the wrong way down the middle of the road and just really pressing their luck. I hate to admit it but more people need to take the time to read cycling law.
SoFla?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I have a new fork on the way. I'm finally going full air with a Fox 34 Float 140mm CTD FIT. My current for is a Rockshox Recon Gold TK 120mm and I just haven't been happy with it. Fingers crossed for a big difference.

SoFla?
North Central. Citrus county area. The scary thing is that in the span of a week I saw 4 people riding into oncoming traffic on their bikes and seemingly nobody batted an eye because, I'm guessing, nobody knows exactly where and how bikes belong on the road.

Mascot

Went for a gentle bimble (my back still isn't quite right) and happened across this funky butchered tree. Simple leanage I'm afraid.

FVai2aW02DdEVhIVXRUF31aiadzHhq79eEuhXtQnqZc=w448-h609-no

Pons

Neo Member
North Central. Citrus county area. The scary thing is that in the span of a week I saw 4 people riding into oncoming traffic on their bikes and seemingly nobody batted an eye because, I'm guessing, nobody knows exactly where and how bikes belong on the road.

Well, while I am aware of bike law, tbh I would rather see the car about to hit me coming and be able to possibly do something about it/get out of the way, if given enough notice of someone weaving or going into the bike lane, than the blind grandma driving up on me from behind and clipping me or running over me with me none the wiser, just my personal take on it.

Cinci Ohio our cycling infrastructure has had some exponential growth.

Nice to hear!

But really, infrastructural planners should just integrate cycling paths into their plans as standard when a road renovation is due. Here in the Netherlands it's still quite eye opening to see an existing situation being transformed into something that is unrecognizable when finished. Bicyclists will always have it better but in general changes will result in an optimized traffic flow.

Ironically there is a movement in city planning towards less distinct road marking, called 'shared space'. The goal is to make the whole situation less clear to get drivers and cyclists to pay more attention to their surroundings. The general motto was ' Rather safety through uncertainty than accidents with clarity'. In general, this is done on crossroads where a very low speed limit is in place.
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.9949...m4!1e1!3m2!1s6UvrPO3d3fc5SpaTPFZDdg!2e0?hl=nl
The above is an example of a crossing in my town that has been made a square without any road markings. So far it seems to work. It can be confusing but in the end people are just to scared to take a risk. It's quite funny to see.

thomaser

14839065823_9066c6277d_z.jpg

14839069123_cda2cd5db3_z.jpg

Had two rides today. First, a quite long and difficult trip through the woods. Singletrack, marshes and overgrown forest roads. It's part of the event I'll probably ride in two weeks. The best do it in 20 minutes, I did it in 40, so that's where I'll lose the first place :) Didn't fall once, thanks to clipless pedals that decided to let me go just at the right moments.

After that, I went up a mountain road that I used to walk a lot with my family when I was little (the two photos). Probably 18 years since I was there last. It seemed much shorter now, helped by the fact that there's been a lot of work done on the road, so it's broader and smoother. The climb up was still challenging, and it's a nice place.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
I bought my first new bike about two month ago. How frequently do you guys put oil on the chain? Any other maintenance tips would be welcome, too.

I'm mostly cycling on dry roads with some light off-roading every now and then (nothing that would require a MTB). I'm currently trying to make at least two ~40k trips every week.

BphO00aCUAA5-Pq.jpg

No hanging pictures, sorry.

thomaser

How frequently do you guys put oil on the chain? Any other maintenance tips would be welcome, too.

I'm not good at lubing the chain properly. Have only done it two or three times on the mountainbike in 11 months, and never on the roadbike (had it for 2 months). Should do it soon - that is, first clean away all the old oil and gunk, and then re-oil it.

I do spray a teflon lube on the chain and rings and other moving parts before every ride, but I don't know if it has any positive effect.

Best tip is probably to keep the bike clean.

Mascot

There was actually an excellent chance for hangage from a 10 foot dropoff, but sadly I had no camera.

Did anyone test their wheel strength on this? I went back to that trailer-ramp five-footer a few days ago but it wasn't there any more.
I was secretly relieved.

Mascot

I didn't. I'm informed that it's quite easy to deal with though.

I'm always slightly nervous of anything over 3' onto firm ground now that I only ride a hardtail. There's sweet Fanny Adams you can do about a collapsed wheel when you're miles from home*, and then there's the inevitable two-week wait and all the faffing and expense of it to be rebuilt.

*apart from nose-wheelie all the way back like a BOSS.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Did some really fun trail rides in Mazama, WA this weekend. Had a widlfire on one side, a lightning storm on the other and downed trees on the way back. Rented a bike but it was in good condition and made me remember how much I like cinder trail rides.

thomaser

Fucking cramps :(

I sometimes have the feeling of beginning cramps in the calves when biking, but no full-blown cramps yet. But I was out riding pretty hard last evening, and tonight I woke up with a horrible cramp in a calf. Don't know if there was a correlation between the cycling and the night-cramp. Maybe I should have drunk more after the ride?

Alright so yesterday I was riding my bike and as I was riding I got slightly distracted by a high school marching band practice. So as I look up I notice that I'm about to drive straight into a wooden pole maybe 10 yards away...I thought at the direction I was going I would get around it. Well as I got closer I realized that wasn't quite going to be the case. So instead of making a really sharp turn I hit the brakes really hard...

And as a result I got flipped over and landed on my back first, I think. It actually didn't hurt that much at the moment outside the shock, I was able to get up really quick (due to me feeling embarrassed) but now I'm feeling the damn effects, my neck and upper back area keeps making cracking sounds and the mobility feels limited. Should I feel worried? I hope I didn't misalign my spine or anything lol

Mascot

Back in this thread after a few weeks of traveling.

Did you ever fix the click?

Mine had one, and it was the simplest thing ever. The front shifter cable was draping into the path of the crank. doh.

I didn't notice it on my last ride, but I can't imagine it's somehow fixed itself. I need to have another thorough investigation before tonight's ride.

Mascot

Bike thieves are thundercunts of the highest calibre. Many years ago one followed a mate of mine down his garden path, into his house and nicked his bike from the kitchen. He swears it was out of his sight for seconds.

What bike was it that got nicked?

Was it insured?

Jobiensis

One of my teammates was just very recently hit by a car. Sent him over an overpass, knocked him unconscious. The driver didn't stop, don't know if it was him/her or someone else that passed by later, but someone then stole his bike. Guy is lucky to be alive, but bike thieves suck almost as much as people that hit and run.

Top Bottom