• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

Man, there's a lot of people doing a lot of miles around these parts lately. Kudos to you lot but I think I'll stick to my gentle twenty-mile bimbles. I associate cycling with sheer enjoyment and wouldn't want to anything to break that connection.

Obligatory hangage daguerreotype from today:

4KztcD8JOlPl9CmwuDrFc4mNVe96vdSISK9HlabnWs0=w407-h609-no

Also, check out this awesome ramp, well over five feet high. Shame somebody parked it right in front of big concrete bollard.

S02QOGiTiUVC5JLpQ-yMXbOMlm1MuUrx5O2tx4U_iV0=w812-h609-no

I attacked it a few times but bottled out right at the top. There's a big enough landing gap to the side (especially with the pallet moved) but a wonky landing could bring the bollard into play, and I was on my own. If someone else was with me egging me on with emergency services on speed dial I might have attempted it. Maybe.

But probably not.

u--KzC-_4vgAAMmlI_m7uWIRlkLKsvCjEpCe8MdBYTI=w812-h609-no

I've done drops of slightly lower height but not onto concrete.

Watevaman

Yeah, there were two pretty big jumps on the singletrack I was at, but I was alone, not only in my group, but essentially on the trail (I only saw one other biker while I was there), so I didn't want to risk busting my butt. Hoping to go back at another time with someone else and film it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Rudeness on trails.

I realize this is pretty anecdotal, but it's such a real phenomenon I wanted to get Gaf's take on it.

Our local famous trail, the Burke Gilman in Seattle is a really amazingly gorgeous former railroad that follows the circumference of part of Lake Washington. It's gorgeous and beautifully maintained. And so it's attractive to all kinds of cyclists - from kids and moms, to Recumbent hippies to spandex carbon srs bznss riders. And it's the latter I've started to have an issue with.

For some reason, the more expensive the bike, the less likely the rider is to use his voice (heaven forbid he weigh his bike down with a bell). And I say "his" because female riders almost always seem to call "on your left."

It's not just manners, it's safety and common sense. Especially when a pack of them blasts past at close to 30mph on a family trail, unannounced.

I have seen these chumps cause many near-accidents as startled riders swerve out of the way. And this weekend I saw them make a girl ride off the trail into the weeds.

I get the feeling they simply think it doesn't apply to them, and that the faster you ride, the more "right" you have to be on the trail and that we amateurs are some kind of inconvenience.

And of course there are plenty of serious riders who do use voice callouts, but they are a vanishing minority.

And don't get me started on the two and three abreast Lance Armstrong wannabes.

I always call out 'on your left' and I usually get a 'thank you' back from the person. Those interactions are nice. Then there are the ones like you mention. I usually holler back at them, "on your right!" real loud and it startles them.

I've also seen the attitude that the fastest person deserves the space. It's frustrating because the rules of most MUPs clearly state to yield to the slower moving traffic.

Stinkles

I always call out 'on your left' and I usually get a 'thank you' back from the person. Those interactions are nice. Then there are the ones like you mention. I usually holler back at them, "on your right!" real loud and it startles them.

I've also seen the attitude that the fastest person deserves the space. It's frustrating because the rules of most MUPs clearly state to yield to the slower moving traffic.

It's like "the wave" for a traffic infraction, like an accidental cut off - doesn't matter how egregious the original incident was, I'm OK as long as there's a half hearted attempt at it.

Personally, I don't consider a multi-purpose, community bike path an appropriate place for srs bznss riding. It's like a half step up from riding on the sidewalk.

Mascot

That's really not that high. Big wimp. :p

It's been bugging me all day. Nagging at me.

There's a big enough gap to the side of the bollard.
It's half a mile from home if I pretzel a wheel on landing.
I've been off stuff almost as high (maybe as high).
The ramp transition is fucking perfect.
There's a long run-up so speed isn't an issue.

Went back to it again this evening. Left defeated.

Bah!

Did some hangage instead to cheer myself up.

IMG_20140629_104257.jpg

Stinkles

Personally, I don't consider a multi-purpose, community bike path an appropriate place for srs bznss riding. It's like a half step up from riding on the sidewalk.

I sort of agree. I don't begrudge the Lance Armstrong fantasy, but just respect the fact that it is a shared path not a velodrome.

WedgeX

Banned

Pictures from my epic chain snapping.

I have a cheap chain on there currently. I need to do some research and deciding upon new chain, cassette, crank set...then maybe shifting cables, derailleurs...

This is going to end up with me just buying a new bike, isn't it?

If you get all of that then it'll probably end up cheaper to just get the new bike, yeah.

For now I'd just grab a new chain and maybe a cassette.

Pictures from my epic chain snapping.

I have a cheap chain on there currently. I need to do some research and deciding upon new chain, cassette, crank set...then maybe shifting cables, derailleurs...

This is going to end up with me just buying a new bike, isn't it?

Oh wow, you have that kickstarted led thingy on your wheels. Is it any good?

Ecto311

Anyone know anything about the trek 3700? Google found some reviews and good things said but anyone here have experience? Found one on craigslist for $50 missing the rear wheel bolt. Seems like a good deal. It's 16.5 inch and I am 5'7" with 30in inseam so I assume it would almost be too small?

Jasup

Anyone know anything about the trek 3700? Google found some reviews and good things said but anyone here have experience? Found one on craigslist for $50 missing the rear wheel bolt. Seems like a good deal. It's 16.5 inch and I am 5'7" with 30in inseam so I assume it would almost be too small?

So you're about 170cm tall with 76cm inseam? What I gather from bike sizing tables a 16.5" mountain bike is just about the right size if not a bit on the larger end of the scale.

While I've had Trek bikes I don't have any experience with the 3700's of any year, but Treks are generally quite decent. However, the missing rear wheel bolt may indicate that all the parts may not be in top condition, and if the bike's old and used a lot you might have a bit of repair work coming your way.

I assume you're in America. Trek 3700 bikes sell at around $400 new, used ones should be considerably less. Check ebay and other places what others ask for the same/comparable bikes before you make your decision.

Jasup

One of the advantages in living in a bicycle friendly city is that, like right now, you're able to stop for a drink or two whenever you like while on the bike and not worry about riding in the traffic while under influence. It's normal to ride home for 7km and not even interact with a car. Separate network (or parallel) is something every city should have.

waypoetic

Banned
One of the advantages in living in a bicycle friendly city is that, like right now, you're able to stop for a drink or two whenever you like while on the bike and not worry about riding in the traffic while under influence. It's normal to ride home for 7km and not even interact with a car. Separate network (or parallel) is something every city should have.

I don't know where you live but in my country its illegal to ride your bike while under the influence. You're a hazard to both yourself and others, obviously.

Indeed. We have a paved stretch of 42 miles roundtrip that is only 200ft in total elevation and I'll see some people in their Sky team kit just flying out there, not speaking at all and generally being an asshole. Mind you, when I start my base riding I'll spend 4 weeks on these trails just to wake up the legs but it's always slow and I'm not out there to break any records or make everyone else's life miserable. These clowns should be out on the big roads instead of spreading their wings on a small width trail populated by people on bikes, recumbunents, people and their dogs, elderly citizens, and basically anything else you can think of.

I sort of agree. I don't begrudge the Lance Armstrong fantasy, but just respect the fact that it is a shared path not a velodrome.

Yeah, my rule is if you're in an aero position pushing 20mph + then it's time to take your riding elsewhere. Or slow down and enjoy the scenery.

thomaser

I've been lovingly pestered to register for my first organized event. It takes place in three weeks, and is a 40 km off-road race. It's a small local event with only 30-40 participants, so I expect to finish last or thereabouts. Should be fun anyway! It goes up gravel roads to a mountain, then mainly on gravel with short stretches of singletrack around a nice, long water before going down again.

The same pesterers also want me to join on a much, much bigger event on Friday, August 29th: Fredagsbirken, a 92 km off-road race with around 5000 people. It's just a side-event, though. The main event, Birkebeinerrittet, is held the day after, and uses the same route. It's the world's largest off-road race, with around 15-17000 riders. I figure that the earlier ride should be much nicer, with much less people around, roads that are still not destroyed by all those wheels, and less super-serious time-focused riders. Has anyone here done the Birken? Kottila, maybe?

kottila

I've been lovingly pestered to register for my first organized event. It takes place in three weeks, and is a 40 km off-road race. It's a small local event with only 30-40 participants, so I expect to finish last or thereabouts. Should be fun anyway! It goes up gravel roads to a mountain, then mainly on gravel with short stretches of singletrack around a nice, long water before going down again.

The same pesterers also want me to join on a much, much bigger event on Friday, August 29th: Fredagsbirken, a 92 km off-road race with around 5000 people. It's just a side-event, though. The main event, Birkebeinerrittet, is held the day after, and uses the same route. It's the world's largest off-road race, with around 15-17000 riders. I figure that the earlier ride should be much nicer, with much less people around, roads that are still not destroyed by all those wheels, and less super-serious time-focused riders. Has anyone here done the Birken? Kottila, maybe?

I've never done any off road races, but Birken should be a relatively easy start. The "real" offroaders call it a gravel race, so it shouldn't be too technical for a newbie. If you're fit enough too stand the distance, the biggest problem is probably going to be riding with so many people around you

I don't know where you live but in my country its illegal to ride your bike while under the influence. You're a hazard to both yourself and others, obviously.

Doing anything while under he influence of alcohol puts you at a higher risk of having an accident. Though due to the the local infrastructure over here and relatively low speeds I think that a cyclist wouldn't be at significantly higher risk of having an accident than a pedestrian.

Jasup

Finland. Riding under influence s illegal only if your riding is dangerous/harmful to others. Basically you can take a few, but if you're able to still ride and abide the rules, it's completely legal. Just don't drink enough to get drunk and stay on the cycleways and you're good to go even though you're over the legal driving limit.

I wouldn't do it in other cities though, but in Oulu the network is completely separated outside the immediate city center and it's common for people to ride to bars and restaurants. It's quite safe too as implicated by the statistics, there are around 80 bicycle accidents a year, of which around 20 leads to injury and you get around one death every two years in a city with around 200 000 inhabitants with 20% modal share for bikes. The infrastructure makes it possible (along with slow traffic).

The statistics for cyclists are comparable with pedestrians.

thomaser

I've never done any off road races, but Birken should be a relatively easy start. The "real" offroaders call it a gravel race, so it shouldn't be too technical for a newbie. If you're fit enough too stand the distance, the biggest problem is probably going to be riding with so many people around you

Yeah, that's why I want to do the Friday race when there's "only" 5000 on the trail. But I might not go at all. Seems to be a lot of stress around the whole thing, although I'm sure finishing it feels great. I'll do the local race first and see how that goes.

Jasup

Of course...

We don't joke about you guys being reckless drunks for nothing ;)

With love
/Sweden

Making you look good is the least we can do for all the things you've given us - like Crescent bikes.

edit: and even though I'm drunk as a... well, a Finn (and safe at home), the above statement is only partially sarcastic. I do have a soft spot for Crescent bikes, because I used to ride them as a child and a teenager.

Jasup

Why buy Crescent when you can get something much better; like Nishiki :)

VINKEL-Race-Carbon.png

I've had a Nishiki too, but like my Crescent it got stolen (like my Trek after that). My Felt's still with me, but now that I think about it I might have to buy a better lock.

kottila

Yeah, that's why I want to do the Friday race when there's "only" 5000 on the trail. But I might not go at all. Seems to be a lot of stress around the whole thing, although I'm sure finishing it feels great. I'll do the local race first and see how that goes.

could be nice to get a relatively poor time that you can crush next year. but isn't the race quite expensive especially with all the travelling necessary?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I just had my first fall after going clipless. I came around a bend only to see the trail stop suddenly. And by stop suddenly I mean stop with a 10 foot cliff created by erosion.

My brain fried and I just stood there and tried to wiggle out of my pedals at the last second. TIMBER!!!!!!

brentech

I'll usually unclip one foot if I'm feeling like I'm coming up on a questionable area. then clip back in when I think I either understand what's coming or feel like there is a slim chance i'd need to save myself with a leg.

Think the only time I went down because of clipless pedals, I was on a snaking bridge made out of three 2x4s. I was too busy at looking at where not to go at the end of it, and ended up going there. That slow, helpless feeling as you're falling to your side, unsure of what you're about to fall into, is a unique delight.

t-ramp

I tipped over into the grass in the side of the road while waiting to cross recently after switching to clipless. That was fun.

Ecto311

So I got the 3700 and like it a lot. It didn't have a rear skewer so I took the one from my wifes bike and it fit just fine. How do I measure it to buy another one. Amazon has them for $7 shipped and the local bike shop has them for $18. I cant imagine there is that big of a difference in them right? I found that end to end with the cap on it - its about 7in long. I assume you measure the rod itself and not the caps or quick release handle right? All the google work in the world is not showing me what the 3700 trek without disk brakes has for a skewer size.

Mascot

Up to speed with the first three episodes of The Cycle Show now.
Where's all the mountain bike coverage gone? It's 90% road bikes now. Bah!
Will his media influence never diminish?

2011-12-28-jimmy-saville-bicycle-bike.jpg

Mascot

NEED FOR SPEED!

Man, it's just too damn dangerous.
If the vodka-fuelled truck driver doesn't kill you quickly then the fumes from his diesel-fuelled truck will do it leisurely.
Too many mad bastards on the road around here, too many Julies texting at the wheel.

waypoetic

Banned
Man, it's just too damn dangerous.
If the vodka-fuelled truck driver doesn't kill you quickly then the fumes from his diesel-fuelled truck will do it leisurely.
Too many mad bastards on the road around here, too many Julies texting at the wheel.

I've yet to run into a crazy murderous driver, but they're out there - I've just had the luck not to meet one.

But I rarely ride on "normal roads". There are great bike lanes where I live; and the only problem on those are the occasional joggers (running in the bike lane, ie towards me) and dog owners with their dogs on a long leash.

thomaser

I've seen racer-cyclists text while cycling. But that was in Italy. It was so cool, hope to be like that one day!!!

I'm lucky with the roads around here. It's possible to ride pretty far on roads with minimal traffic and little or no heavy traffic. And I mostly ride long trips on Sunday mornings, when even the heavily trafficked roads are almost empty. Riding in the week, when traffic is high, isn't much fun, though... even the largest main roads here are narrow, with only one file in each direction. So it pays to be smart about when and where to go cycling.

Mascot

I'll stick to the woods where dogs, people and horses are nice and soft to crash into. Trees and rocks? Not so much.

Stop press: just saw a massive owl on next doors TV aerial getting dive bombed by bats. Beautiful thing. Shone a torch on it and took a cell phone photo but managed to miss it's head. Bah! Making a bloody racket it was. Woke me up. Fuck-all to do with biking, but cool.

Speed cyclists are becoming a pest over here (even more so in Belgium). And they seem to keep growing in numbers. Can't ride down a normal cycling path minding your own bussiness without a few of them yelling to get out of the way. How about getting a bicycle bell instead of yelling like you own the road.

waypoetic

Banned
Speed cyclists are becoming a pest over here (even more so in Belgium). And they seem to keep growing in numbers. Can't ride down a normal cycling path minding your own bussiness without a few of them yelling to get out of the way. How about getting a bicycle bell instead of yelling like you own the road.

"Speed cyclists"? And in Belgium? Bike racing is pretty huge in Belgium. My favorite team (Omega Pharma-Quick Step) is a Belgium team.

I don't know what the situations look like but I gotta ask; are you swerving from left to right or staying in your lane? I don't got a bell on my bike and I rarely shout at people; when I do shout I go "wrong lane!". I always slow down when I see dogs or kids in front of me. Whatever with the pace, I'm not gonna run a kid or an animal over just because "I gotta go fast".

Top Bottom