• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

Funny thing is, if you read the review they don't mark it down on anything other than the fact that it's not available at your LBS and that the brakes aren't their favourites.

It's a monster bike for cross country. If you're heading for more gravity fuelled fun you might want to look elsewhere though.

Yeah, I didn't understand the 'low' rating - it didn't seem to tally with the opinions expressed in the review.

The bike needs to be a bit of an all-rounder, mainly for XC and AM with a bit of DH on occasion. I did the Ski Run and the Sheepskull at FoD last week, chasing a mate on his £2.5k LaPierre FS and my hardtail Trek coped admirably. I'm pretty sure mine is the only HT I've seen at the FoD trail centre - it's certainly the only HT I've ever seen on the three-dot downhill runs.

From what I've read, Mondraker's all mountain bikes seem pretty good for that all round business. Something something forward geometry.

The only way I'd be travelling with a $7k bike on a plane is using one of these or similar: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/evoc-bike-travel-bag-280-litres/

I'm going to Whistler at some point this year, but no way in hell am I risking my baby with those assholes in baggage handling. Will just rent a (ludicrously high end) bike when I get there.

That's a nice case. As for traveling with expensive bikes: You can usually add your bikes to your home owners or renters insurance. Back when I had a couple of absurdly expensive ones ($10,000 +) I was able to have them coveres under my homeowners policy.

Mascot

From what I've read, Mondraker's all mountain bikes seem pretty good for that all round business. Something something forward geometry.

I love Mondrakers based purely on the aesthetics. Gorgeous machines, but out of my price range.

The 2014 Nukeproof Mega TR Comp is 38% off at CRC right now. I'd probably already have bitten if it wasn't for the fixed front gear and the faff/expense of changing it (new derailleur, shifter, chainrings etc).

click

Mascot

I don't know about your size, but Wiggle has some old Mondraker individuals around your price range.

Thanks, I shall take a look - but in the meantime: ooh ooh, this one is quite tempting. Great spec for the money. Great reviews, too.

Norco Sight Ally 7 1.5 650b
norco-sight-alloy-7-15-650b-2014-mountain-bike.jpg

Looks great for the price. Similar to the Canyon in spec. Real nice.

Only advantages I see on the Canyon are the rims and drivetrain (DT Swiss vs Sun Inferno and full XT vs XT / SLX mix).

Ahh, I didn't notice the dropper post. I guess it probably balances out the extra cost of the drivetrain bits.

...and yeah, the Canyon is amazingly light for a full suss bike. It's lighter than my nephew's old hardtail.

Mascot

Ahh, I didn't notice the dropper post. I guess it probably balances out the extra cost of the drivetrain bits.

...and yeah, the Canyon is amazingly light for a full suss bike. It's lighter than my nephew's old hardtail.

I'm looking at the Nerve 6.0 now and wondering why I'd spend an additional 50% for a half-kilo weight saving and slightly better components on the 8.0. The frame (and much of the kit) is identical.

Nerve AL 6.0

The £600 saving would be a sizeable contribution to a new gaming PC...

The fork and shock on the Nerve 8.0 are considerably better. Also, Acera brakes are entry level.

I think I'd miss the rims most though. Those DT-Swiss ones are excellent.

Mascot

The fork and shock on the Nerve 8.0 are considerably better. Also, Acera brakes are entry level.

Oh yeah, absolutely. But justifying a 50% premium? Don't forget, i'm coming from a hardtail with 100mm Recons. The components on the 6.0 are probably still more than good enough, I reckon. Maybe.

Yeah, most likely. I always tend to spend as much as possible up front on the fork as if it doesn't work out then it costs a massive amount to get another one later.

Probably also why I only have three bikes. :)

Speaking of new bikes, I was looking for more information about the new LeMond and found this on reddit:

It was originally $1,799 for the frame but now it's $2,299. The 105 was $2,599 and now it's $3,099 What the heck could cause a $500 increase?

See: http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/gear-shed/cycle-life/First-Look-Lemond-Washoe.html
On sale later this fall, the Washoe will be available as a frameset for $1,800 or four stock builds, ranging from a complete 105 group set for $2,600 up to Dura-Ace Di2 for $6,000. Campagnolo options will be available in the winter.
http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/08/14/lemond-introduces-new-steel-washoe-road-bike/
Washoe steel bikes can be pre-ordered starting now with the first bikes expected to ship around the start of September. Frame kits start at $1,799, and complete bikes range from $2,599 for a 105 built, to $5,999 for Dura Ace Di2 with Campagnolo builds on the way.

Maybe it's because the bikes were being sold as frames only or the 105 set so they decided to raise the price there? I notice the Di2 is only $100 more than before, for example.

I was saving for the $1,799 frame but the extra $500 has kind of soured me. Couldn't explain why, but over 2k for just a frame is too much for me.

I also noticed that the paint options has dwindled from what was first offered. One wonders.
I emailed the builders since they're here in Portland and haven't received a response. I'm not expecting anything, I just wanted to see if I'd get one.

Weird that there are zero reviews of the bike.

Mascot

Seems like it's a no brainer. Get that thing ordered!

Edit - Though before you do, you might want to see how the frames compare with the figures you get here: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp#type, plus don't forget to use Canyon's sizer too.

Yeah, thanks. I need to take some dims but am nodding off here. I'll sleep on it but the 6.0 is looking favourite at the moment. The VFM seems outrageous.

Looks fucking gorgeous in black with the white fork too... :p

Jasup

The joys of winter commute.
07012015811k8sn2.jpg

The bike doubled its weight during the 7km ride from the city center to my local supermarket.

Today's been snowing all day and the temperature's risen to around 0C, so the snow's wet, heavy and sticky. The cycleways are constantly being cleared, but the maintenance crews just can't keep up with the snowfall so you have to pedal in deeper snow from time to time. You'll get a good exercise though.

Speaking of new bikes, I was looking for more information about the new LeMond and found this on reddit:

I emailed the builders since they're here in Portland and haven't received a response. I'm not expecting anything, I just wanted to see if I'd get one.

Weird that there are zero reviews of the bike.

I used to sell Lemond Bikes and loved them. That said, $3100 for a 105 build is a bit nutty. For that kind of money I could get a custom steel bike with the same group.

I also worry about warranty support from such a small company...

You can get a custom made Gunnar road frame with the same fork for $1700 or save $350 with US built stock frames with custom paint. I put several thousand miles on a GUnnar and loved every second of it.

Mascot

Still dithering on the full-susser. I suddenly remembered cycle-to-work so am trying to establish whether direct sales suppliers like Canyon could be included. Some say yay, some say nay.

Also flip-flopping about whether I actually need a full-susser again or whether I just want one.

Of course it's "want". No-one "needs" a full bouncer unless they race for a living. :D

But still, it doesn't hurt to want things. I don't believe they do cycle to work btw... but you'd need to email them to be sure.

kottila

Since I'm posting alone, bored at work, here's my vicarious singlespeed of the day: Felt Brougham

I like how it comes with a front hub shiner. I'm really getting the urge to buy a third bike. Halp.

Why would you have deep rims on a fixie with a flat handlebar? I can't imagine it has to do with aerodynamics? Does it make the wheels sturdier or is it just because of the looks? (bur wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a wheel with more spokes? )

I used to sell Lemond Bikes and loved them. That said, $3100 for a 105 build is a bit nutty. For that kind of money I could get a custom steel bike with the same group.

I also worry about warranty support from such a small company...

You can get a custom made Gunnar road frame with the same fork for $1700 or save $350 with US built stock frames with custom paint. I put several thousand miles on a GUnnar and loved every second of it.
I live near Portland so getting warranty support from the company should be easy.

That said, Gunnar is the other frame that I've been eyeballing. I road one at a local shop here and it felt really good. I mean, for a fifteen minute ride.

I live near Portland so getting warranty support from the company should be easy.

That said, Gunnar is the other frame that I've been eyeballing. I road one at a local shop here and it felt really good. I mean, for a fifteen minute ride.

We sold a few Gunnar's over the years, and were always impressed with the build and ride quality.

As a guy who loves steel bikes, I can't really fault either brand. :)

Jobiensis

Why would you have deep rims on a fixie with a flat handlebar? I can't imagine it has to do with aerodynamics? Does it make the wheels sturdier or is it just because of the looks? (bur wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a wheel with more spokes? )

Those are only 30mm, I've seen flat bar fixies with full out track tri spoke fronts and disc backs. Is there anything about fixies on the street that is about functionality? Their only function seems to be reducing the hipster population.

Speaking of wheels, Saw a touring bike fully loaded with racks on the front and back and running these wheels:

4834-DEFAULT-m.jpg

Those are a grand easy and I really doubt they can handle the rigors of touring/commuting.

Speaking of wheels, Saw a touring bike fully loaded with racks on the front and back and running these wheels:

4834-DEFAULT-m.jpg

Those are a grand easy and I really doubt they can handle the rigors of touring/commuting.

Those wheels have a 220 pound weight limit. No way that person on a fully loaded touring bike was under that.

Sounds like an expensive mistake.

I was riding a charity ride a few year back and saw a very large man riding a set of carbon racing wheels. I turned to point this out to my riding companion, and before I could finish the sentence the front wheel crumbled, resulting in a face plant into pavement. He ended up with a broken collarbone, multiple shattered teeth, several large cuts, and an ambulance ride to the local hospital.

People really need to use common sense over fashion sense when picking bicycle parts.

As a mountain biker I think I'd probably ride very differently in the US. The insurance policies the pro downhillers must have likely cost a fortune.

davidnic

4834-DEFAULT-m.jpg

Yep it is not a wheel for commuting\ touring, else your race Track or do Road Time Trails a lot I won't buy a 3 spoke wheel and in any case personally I won't buy one anyway to expensive & if something goes wrong if it, for example if you buckle the wheel the only way to fix it is to hit it on the ground to true them again, if you don't make it worst.

If that doesn't work you now have a frisbee!!

Mascot

Of course it's "want". No-one "needs" a full bouncer unless they race for a living. :D

Even having owned full-sussers before (my last three bikes were FS) since owning a HT I've only ever found a mild requirement for FS when bombing down some of the rockier sections at Cwmcarn. And even then I managed OK on the HT, I just couldn't quite keep up with the FS mob.

It is a little odd to be almost exclusively surrounded by FS bikes on trails like the Forest of Dean and Cwmcarn, and I do get a lot of double-takes when people see the seat stays. Maybe it's kudos and admiration I'm getting? P:

I guess I might cool my jets a little and ponder a while longer. Maybe if some uber-deal suddenly pops up and I'm in a good mood... who knows. I was very close to pushing the button on one of those Canyons though.

You could swing about hard and get a Charge Cooker single speed, no gears, no suspension, all steel.

Personally, I really like suspension bikes despite never having ridden one, but they do seem awfully maintenance heavy and offer little for my kind of slow riding. I'm already despairing over the cheapo fork on my Trek, because a full maintenance costs 50% of its RRP.

Maint isn't really that hard to do yourself on a fork. I would probably avoid it on a really high end one though.

It is a little odd to be almost exclusively surrounded by FS bikes on trails like the Forest of Dean and Cwmcarn, and I do get a lot of double-takes when people see the seat stays. Maybe it's kudos and admiration I'm getting? P:

I'm yet to do Cwmcarn. Seems like it might be a bit past my hardtail skills.

All the guides keep blabbing how DIY maintenance is not a substitute for a real fork overhaul at a bike store, so that's what I was going on. Makes me want to get one of them Lauf spring forks with no moving parts.

In other news, I put spds on the mtb, weirdly enough because shoe covers don't work that well on flats. Without covers I'm unable to ride more than 1,5 hours without my toes falling off at -10C.

In the process I made a new discovery, those makeup removers that women use are excellent for getting grease off your hands. Leaves a lemony scent too.

Well, you can get a full overhaul done, but I've never had one and I've never killed a fork. A lower leg service will suffice for most things, you pretty much clean it and replace the seals and the oil(s). It's not exactly rocket science, though I can understand why someone would want to avoid it.

Here's a vid of how to do probably the best (and one of the most expensive) forks on the market: http://www.mbr.co.uk/products/forks/service-rockshox-pike-fork-lower-legs-video-323120

...and an article:
http://www.parktool.com/blog/calvins-corner/rock-shox-pike-fork-service

All the guides keep blabbing how DIY maintenance is not a substitute for a real fork overhaul at a bike store, so that's what I was going on. Makes me want to get one of them Lauf spring forks with no moving parts.

In other news, I put spds on the mtb, weirdly enough because shoe covers don't work that well on flats. Without covers I'm unable to ride more than 1,5 hours without my toes falling off at -10C.

In the process I made a new discovery, those makeup removers that women use are excellent for getting grease off your hands. Leaves a lemony scent too.

It's the shape of the shoe I think. I tried it and ended up buying covers that were three sixes too big so they'd fit, but they still didn't. So I gave up on that and bought bike shoes and haven't looked back. I rarely get on my bikes without bike shoes, though I do have double-sided pedals just in case I have to.

It's more that mountain biking flats will destroy a shoe cover by the end of a single ride. Mine have pins like razors, as the scars all over my shins can attest to.

Mascot

I'm yet to do Cwmcarn. Seems like it might be a bit past my hardtail skills.

Ah, you'd be fine. It's well worth a visit but I much prefer the Forest of Dean - there's just a much wider network and so much more variety. Cwmcarn is fucking rocky and crazily narrow in places, too, but the killer climb to the top of the mountain has some fairytale-gorgeous landscape to pass through. I'll be there at the crack of dawn tomorrow for my sins - in the pouring rain and howling gales, according to the forecast. Lovely!

I do like the giant rusty iron/stainless steel arty mountain biker sign on the roundabout in the middle of the town though - you can tell these folks take their mountain biking seriously.

Mascot

I love the forest of dean on the whole, but I'm not a fan of the trail centre. Gets stupid busy.

Yeah, hence the dawn starts. We always time it for first light to get the place pretty much to ourselves, or go up during the week when people are in work AND only when schools aren't on holiday.

Laekon

It's more that mountain biking flats will destroy a shoe cover by the end of a single ride. Mine have pins like razors, as the scars all over my shins can attest to.

If your using flat pedals just use hiking boots. I've used bread bags in-between a layer of socks for water and wind protection to a long time ago.

My problem was indeed about flats destroying shoe covers. It's no biggie swapping pedals, and as they say variety is the spice of life.

thomaser

Went on the year's first longer ride today. Icy roads everywhere, so it went slowly. But the studded tires worked charmingly. Felt like riding on fine gravel, no slipping anywhere. I got the 2015 KOM on most of the sections, so I'm probably the first to ride them this year...

Top Bottom