• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

Ah, the fun begins.
Wiggle want the tyre returned 'for inspection' (they won't see anything that isn't in the photos I've already sent them).
The tyre is non-foldable 26" so the package (and just how the fuck am I supposed to package up a tyre?) will be at least 75cm x 75cm.
Maximum size for returns using post-paid Collect+ is 50cm x 50cm.
The tyre must therefore be sent back at my expense (I'm guessing at least £10 based on size?) using Royal Mail, a week before Christmas.
Fucking BAH HUMBUG!

How about "Thanks for the photos, sorry about the tyre failing so soon after purchase, glad you weren't injured, and apologies for the inconvenience this has caused and the damage to your rim. We can send you a new one or offer store credit against future purchases and we won't make you jump through hoops, try to package up a large ungainly object and queue at the Post Office a week before Christmas to return the faulty item at your own expense and further fucking inconvenience. Yours, Wiggle".

Just explain that and if they don't make good, tell them you're disappointed and must from now on buy from somewhere else because of the quality of customer service at wiggle.

Mascot

Just explain that and if they don't make good, tell them you're disappointed and must from now on buy from somewhere else because of the quality of customer service at wiggle.

I'm not sure big companies are too concerned about that these days.
Anyway, customer service from Wiggle is normally pretty good.

Edit: they are now arranging collection. Seems a lot of faff and expense for a tyre..!
Good service though. Balance has been restored to the universe.

Laekon

Ah, the fun begins.
Wiggle want the tyre returned 'for inspection' (they won't see anything that isn't in the photos I've already sent them).
The tyre is non-foldable 26" so the package (and just how the fuck am I supposed to package up a tyre?) will be at least 75cm x 75cm.
Maximum size for returns using post-paid Collect+ is 50cm x 50cm.
The tyre must therefore be sent back at my expense (I'm guessing at least £10 based on size?) using Royal Mail, a week before Christmas.
Fucking BAH HUMBUG!

How about "Thanks for the photos, sorry about the tyre failing so soon after purchase, glad you weren't injured, and apologies for the inconvenience this has caused and the damage to your rim. We can send you a new one or offer store credit against future purchases and we won't make you jump through hoops, try to package up a large ungainly object and queue at the Post Office a week before Christmas to return the faulty item at your own expense and further fucking inconvenience. Yours, Wiggle".

Twist the tire once into a infinity shape and fold it in half. It won't damage the tire.

ISPs are on, fingers are hurting, tomorrow morning is first ride!

They sit slightly lumpy on the rims, but I'm 99% sure they're seated properly. I inflated them a couple of times and massaged the beads to be as certain as possible, so I think it's just a feature of these tires.

jts

...hate me...
Today I went to Decathlon where I bought my bike, just to check out the models and gear, since I've been wanting to buy a few things for my bike, as well as trying to find anything that would look like a bolt for my friend's bike derailleur, but no luck. So I'm probably giving up on the idea of fixing it to fool around in the meantime. There's not even a marking visible to identify the derailleur so I can get proper part or search for it.

For my bike I bought a clip-on front basket, which will return some dignity to it, vs having a fixed basket held by plastic straps. On a MTB. I know MTBs are not supposed to have baskets but it's my main means of transport back in Finland, haha.

Still thinking about getting a rear pannier though. I wanted to get one that they have, with a clip-on system as well that lets me clip another basket and maybe other accessories. But it seemed so heavy. I see that it's like 1.5kg which is not much but all that junk adds up.

Anyway, it's interesting the different perspective I have now vs early this year when I bought my bike. I didn't know the first thing about them.

Now I see the difference between brakes, wheels, frames and so forth.

When I bought mine I just went straight to a clearance sale on a MTB model and then inquired the employee about it. He seemed convincing that it was a good purchase, and a quick search on the web after the fact seemed to indicate that way as well.

I gotta admit though, the newer models they have look so much cooler. All in dark matte colours, while mine is a white shiny one. Just looks demodé already :p

Love their 29", the RR Big. 850€. I await the day I buy one (a 29" that is, not necessarily that model).

Also near my house opened an official KTM bike store, I'll pay a visit one of these days and go home sad about not taking the Fat Rat with me.
ISPs are on, fingers are hurting, tomorrow morning is first ride!

They sit slightly lumpy on the rims, but I'm 99% sure they're seated properly. I inflated them a couple of times and massaged the beads to be as certain as possible, so I think it's just a feature of these tires.
Cool. I hear there's a lot of snow right now (at least up north). Still bummed out for not having tried mine before leaving. But when I do, I'll be sure to give my feedback to see if it matches up.

Still no snow down south, there was a day of subzero temps and the forecast indicated that too, but now it's just more water until next week, and then maybe finally snow.

edit: also you should totally convert your friend's bike into a single speed.

thomaser

Lots of snow here earlier this week, then lots of rain, turning everything into ice. And for some godforsaken reason I start seeing racing bikes parked everywhere. Not cross bikes, but racing bikes with slick tires. Why on earth are people using them here, at this point in time? Cars with winter tires have a hard enough time getting around. Just stubbornness, I suppose: If conditions are so bad that I cannot use a racing bike, then I MUST and WILL use a racing bike.

Mascot

Twist the tire once into a infinity shape and fold it in half. It won't damage the tire.

Yeah thanks, that's what I did in the end. Got it into a large shoe box with a bit of persuading. I wouldn't want to do it with a brand new steel-beaded tyre in case a kink was introduced but for an old tyre it seemed fine.

thomaser

Had a short ride on wet, slippery, half-melted snow this evening. First time I tried cycling in these conditions. Asphalt covered with chunky, wet snow is not fun at all. Almost no traction when going uphill, even with spikes. Wet snow on gravel or grass, though, is much more enjoyable.

Finally got to have a ride with the spikes, and it just snowed too! Like Dan Lloyd would say, the ISPs rolled like a boss. No slip at all and a good workout because you have to work to keep up the speed. You're supposed to break in the tires by calmly riding for 40km on a hard surface. I tried to stay mostly on asphalt but there were a couple of nice shortcuts I just had to take. I also did some hills, at one point my glasses fogged over and when I took them off, a bus was slowly sliding towards me, tires locked. Luckily there was a concrete barrier between us and the bus stopped there with a thud.

KttuhEj.jpg

Mascot

Finally got to have a ride with the spikes, and it just snowed too!
Nice! Jealous of your white Christmas, too.

Feeling like a lazy bastard right now. Not biked all weekend because a mate gave me the digital crack that is Diablo III, so I've been sitting on my ass for the last couple of days. Feeling guilty and remorseful.

It's ok, we all need some down time. Although Diablo is of the devil. I'm playing Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes, now there's a mountain biker's game!

Only vaguely cycling related, but I'm really enjoying my stay in Stockholm.

The cycling infrastructure here is three levels up on anything any city in the UK has to offer. It's not even funny how much better it is. Traffic lights for bikes, two lane cycle paths, and I even saw a gritter going around the cycle lanes in a park to make sure they didn't get iced up.

Hang your head in shame UK. Oh, and the tube system here makes London's look antiquated too. (24 hour on weekends, woo!)

BMX XXX?

Seriously speaking, I would be all over a downhill mtb game in the vein of SSX and such.

Downhill_Domination_Coverart.png

With Downhill Domination, you'll understand why downhill mountain bike racing is considered an extreme sport. Ride down vertical mountainsides and urban environments while performing stunts at speeds in excess of 60 miles per hour. Playable in first- and third-person perspectives, you can select from one of 14 riders, including five pro-riders, in an intense race to gain corporate sponsorship and a chance at the coveted Downhill Domination Championship. During gameplay, you have the freedom to pick the best racing line through unforgiving canyons, forests, city streets, and more while avoiding environmental and weather hazards.

Mascot

Only vaguely cycling related, but I'm really enjoying my stay in Stockholm.

The cycling infrastructure here is three levels up on anything any city in the UK has to offer. It's not even funny how much better it is. Traffic lights for bikes, two lane cycle paths, and I even saw a gritter going around the cycle lanes in a park to make sure they didn't get iced up.

Hang your head in shame UK. Oh, and the tube system here makes London's look antiquated too. (24 hour on weekends, woo!)

Never mind all that bollocks - was I right about the women, or what?

Is cycling the new golf?

Lol.

I've not played golf all year but prior to that I played three times a week on average for three decades.

Edit: the article seems mainly Savile-centric.
When I used to work at the place warehousing Focus/Cervelo bikes here in Australia the guy from Focus mentioned that "cycling is the new golf" about five years ago. It definitely seems that way, at least in my experience.

It snowed a whole lot more. Biking on snowed in gravel paths is really, really hard. It's ok if the snow is untouched, but trampled snow is a lot like a rock garden or a patch of roots. With mud in between. Luckily it doesn't hurt if you fall.

So much energy is spent on staying upright that my legs plain ran out on a climb, and at that point I saw it wise to practice on flatter ground first. If I can keep riding like this regularly, I'm going to be so fast when spring arrives.

Final thoughts: need less pressure on tires. Bare minimum to avoid pinching.

thomaser

How do you even get up on one of those?

Was out on a ride today, but my Garmin had run out of juice. Nothing on Strava, so the ride might as well not have happened. That sinking feeling of disappointment.

Oh, and merry Christmas, everyone!

robox

How do you even get up on one of those?

get a rolling start, then launch yourself up. it felt a little tall and nervous at first, similar to my first feeling of riding on a short wheelbase track bike

Was out on a ride today, but my Garmin had run out of juice. Nothing on Strava, so the ride might as well not have happened. That sinking feeling of disappointment.

ahahhaa metricsssssssss

thomaser

Nice. You'll be weeping in agony in no time.

Reading reviews of this thing, the set-up process should make me a weeping wreck long before I actually start to pedal. But cycling is very much about suffering. Good thing nobody told me that before I bought the first bike.

Mascot

Happy Christmas, BikeGAF!
Loot:
Jawbone UP24
Long sleeved Troy Lee top
Parka coat
HH rain jacket
HH thinsulate gloves
Hiking boots
...and a refund from Wiggle.

Back again, Bike-gaf. Took a few weeks off starting in October to recharge and gain some weight back (hit my goal of 137lbs) and have just started to get back on the bike the past few weeks. Got a nice little haul yesterday from fiance and parents consisting of some Oakley radarpath sunglasses, louis garnau carbon shoes, wahoo tickr x, and speedplay zero chrome-moly pedals.

And oh my god I simply cannot clip in to the pedals for the life of me. Previously I was using very basic Shimano 105 pedals and it was a cinch, but everything I read about speedplay pointed to clipping in and out being even easier due to the design. But this basic act still eludes me and my fiance is pretty sure I'm gonna start on a rampage soon if I don't figure out what the hell is going on.

So I have the pedals on and attached the 3 hole cleat system to the new shoes, precisely following the speedplay directions, both in print and in video. But I can't clip in. Just not happening. I'm not sure if it's my weight or what but it's very frustrating. Anyone else speedplay pedals and if so, did you have any issues with clipping in at first? Speedplay itself says that people that are light will have some initial difficulties clipping in but I think I've gone beyond the problem phase. Ughh.

Anyway, rant over. What bike computer is everyone using? I'm undecided between picking up the Garmin 510 bundle or just going with Wahoo RFLKT + and their speed/cadence sensor. All are ANT + but it appears the Garmin's are not bluetooth 4.0 enabled, which is wtf worthy. Although the Wahoo combo is significantly less pricey than Garmin's 510 bundle in the end I just want something that will turn on when I want to turn on. Wahoo's products seemed to be favorably viewed but reviews indicate there is a process to getting everything synced and ready to roll.

My ideal setup would be Wahoo Kickr, with Garmin 510 bike computer and SC sensor, hooked up to Trainerroad or even Wahoo's apps. This Ant + shit is pretty awesome but I think I've become needlessly confused by it due to spending too much time trying to find the right products....

The new wahoo speed / cadence sensor does bluetooth and ant+. It's a no brainer if you want to use for both. It's a shitload better than their last sensor too. I have one and it works nicely with the iphone / android, though not all the bike apps support it. With regard to computers, I have an etrex 30 for basic mapping, which works well but is heavy. I'm getting a Bryton Rider 60E next. All the Garmin functionality, but without the Garmin tax.

On the subject of Oakleys... I've always wanted to get them, but I've never made it through a ride without damaging my glasses a little, and I think I'd want to weep if I messed up £100 lenses.

The new wahoo speed / cadence sensor does bluetooth and ant+. It's a no brainer if you want to use for both. It's a shitload better than their last sensor too. I have one and it works nicely with the iphone / android, though not all the bike apps support it. With regard to computers, I have an etrex 30 for basic mapping, which works well but is heavy. I'm getting a Bryton Rider 60E next. All the Garmin functionality, but without the Garmin tax.

On the subject of Oakleys... I've always wanted to get them, but I've never made it through a ride without damaging my glasses a little, and I think I'd want to weep if I messed up £100 lenses.

Thanks for insight. How goes the connectivity with Wahoo SC sensor and are you pairing with the Wahoo fitness app? Right now my Tickr X is having issues finding my heart rate, more ugh. Overall I'm inclined just to go all Wahoo (sc sensor, rflkt +, in addition to the Tickr x i already have) just so everything is streamlined. And I can get the sensor and computer for a little under $200, so considerably less than Garmin 510.

And yeah, these are my first oakleys since I lost a pair 4-5 years ago. I'm going to keep them in my case and only use them when I ride. these $15 sunglasses I keep buying just aren't cutting it and I i have to remove them due to direct sunlight or rain it defeats the purpose...

Jobiensis

Speedplays can be a bitch to break in and they don't direct your foot, so you need to have your foot straight and level. If you have a trainer, that is the best way to practice. I had a hell of a time in the beginning and I weight a bit more than you.

ANT+ is basically Garmin's spec, so they are going to be very slow on the Bluetooth uptake. I've got a 510 on order to replace my beat up 500. Only issue with the bundle is the HRM. I've had much better luck with the cheap old straps. All the premium soft straps gave me issues with spikes in cold dry weather.

I've given up with cheap sunglasses. I've got a set of Oakleys that are pretty beat up, but they are a couple years old. Just got some SPY+ with extra large lenses that I'll only use for cycling.

I've never really had any problems with the new Garmin soft strap. My missus has problems with all straps though, she can only really get them to work by using electroconductive gel.

Have used the wahoo fitness app, but there's really no need to as others are better.

Speedplays can be a bitch to break in and they don't direct your foot, so you need to have your foot straight and level. If you have a trainer, that is the best way to practice. I had a hell of a time in the beginning and I weight a bit more than you.

ANT+ is basically Garmin's spec, so they are going to be very slow on the Bluetooth uptake. I've got a 510 on order to replace my beat up 500. Only issue with the bundle is the HRM. I've had much better luck with the cheap old straps. All the premium soft straps gave me issues with spikes in cold dry weather.

I've given up with cheap sunglasses. I've got a set of Oakleys that are pretty beat up, but they are a couple years old. Just got some SPY+ with extra large lenses that I'll only use for cycling.

Yeah, I've been practicing on my trainer to no avail. When I take my shoe off to make sure everything is lined up correctly and what not, it looks good. It's just the actual clipping part that is problematic right now. I figure if I cant make it work tonight, I'll just head to the LBS to get some other eyes on it. And how important is lubing the cleat to initially clip in? I know speedplays require more lube than others but I would think that would be a few rides in, or after it rains.

Have used the wahoo fitness app, but there's really no need to as others are better.

Which ones are you using? It seems I'm late to the game on Cyclemeter. But I've pretty much exclusively using strava the past year and a half.

My camera is apparently also ANT+, so I guess I need to get all sorts of sensors too. Speed and cadence seem like the most interesting ones. GPS data would be great but I think you need something more expensive than the Shimano cam.

Also, hyperlapse videos. They are the coolest thing on earth and I wish to make my own.

Jobiensis

I don't usually lube my cleats. I've replaced them a couple times, and they have never been difficult to clip in except when I first got the pedals. So either the pedals wear in, or there is a technique. This may be worsened because I'm slightly duck footed (which is one of the reasons I went with Speedplays).

Which ones are you using? It seems I'm late to the game on Cyclemeter. But I've pretty much exclusively using strava the past year and a half.

Join our group!!
http://www.strava.com/clubs/bikegaf

Top Bottom