• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Some here might find this interesting, as there's been some discussion of flats vs cleats for mountain biking.

It's fairly long though!

Flat Pedal Revolution Manifesto (PDF)

Edit - As I shouldn't post three in a row... I've just pulled the trigger on a full drivetrain upgrade to 2x10. Pretty reasonably priced all told. I believe that the last bit of my bike that's original now is my frame. lol

Mascot

Looks like I'll be staying in the middle ring at the front for a while - I stupidly managed to chop the top of my left thumb off last night. Bah!

Jasup

My dirty little secret is that I can't properly shift. I stick to 1 gear, 2 tops.

I use 3: 1 in the city center, 2 outside it. In winter I sometimes use more if the maintenance crews haven't cleared up the snow fast enough from the cycleways. For everyday cycling most gears are useless.

My order will probably get cancelled but I just ordered a Renovo Elwood for $175 total. For some reason when I added the bike to my cart it said $0. I clicked checkout, it still said $0 but $175 shipping. So I clicked submit.

Order Summary
Elwood

Elwood × 1

54cm
$ 0.00

Subtotal $ 0.00

Shipping $ 175.00

Taxes $ 0.00

Total $ 175.00

Paid

$ 175.00
We'll see.

Hell, all of the bikes that you can order are showing as $0.

Never mind. :lol
Renovo Hardwood Bicycles has refunded your order (#1001) a total of $175.00 USD for:

1x Elwood - 54cm

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I just got tubeless tires put on my hybrid so I can do gravel trails. But they put the tubes in. So now I feel like I am wearing underwear over my pants.

My order will probably get cancelled but I just ordered a Renovo Elwood for $175 total. For some reason when I added the bike to my cart it said $0. I clicked checkout, it still said $0 but $175 shipping. So I clicked submit.

Worth a go. :p

I just got tubeless tires put on my hybrid so I can do gravel trails. But they put the tubes in. So now I feel like I am wearing underwear over my pants.

Hang on, you're running tubes and sealant?

I've been running my tubeless with tubes in for ages as I never got around to replacing the sealant after I swapped them around the last time. It's not that unusual. Running tubes and sealant would be though. :)

Mascot

I know Maxxis High Roller IIs are the MTB tyre of choice for the discerning gentleman, but I picked up a Maxxis High Roller XC for £13 delivered from CRC yesterday, which I didn't think was too shabby.

All I need now is two working thumbs to be able to fit the bastard. I haven't dared look to see if my DIY sellotape surgery has been successful yet, but the juice that's seeping out is at least running clear now. It'd be funny if I stuck it on back-to-front.

Mascot

Problem with the original is that there's a nasty moment with no grip when you start to lean them over.
Yeah, I read this in some of the reviews on various sites, but for every complaint there seemed to be a wutchootalkinaboutwillis rebuff.

Seemed heavily dependent on inflation pressure.

Stupid question time:

My hybrid came with 700x32c wheels and slick tyres. A while back I bought grooved 700x32c tyres but apparently I bought a 700x35c tube at the same time. Firstly, is that a problem? Secondly, why does the same 700x35c tube hold air in the grooved 700x32c tyre but not when I put my old slick one back on?

I told you it was stupid question time.

Jobiensis

Stupid question time:

My hybrid came with 700x32c wheels and slick tyres. A while back I bought grooved 700x32c tyres but apparently I bought a 700x35c tube at the same time. Firstly, is that a problem? Secondly, why does the same 700x35c tube hold air in the grooved 700x32c tyre but not when I put my old slick one back on?

I told you it was stupid question time.

It probably is fine, just might be a bit tougher to not pinch the tube when mounting the tire.

No idea why you can't get it to hold air, the tube should hold air regardless if it is in a tire at all, much less what size of tire.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Worth a go. :p

Hang on, you're running tubes and sealant?

I've been running my tubeless with tubes in for ages as I never got around to replacing the sealant after I swapped them around the last time. It's not that unusual. Running tubes and sealant would be though. :)

Nah, dry. Just feels redundant on principle.

My bag came in the mail. It is nice. Also, Brooks cambium seats are really comfy.

j77YIUU6ArLRW.jpg

It probably is fine, just might be a bit tougher to not pinch the tube when mounting the tire.

No idea why you can't get it to hold air, the tube should hold air regardless if it is in a tire at all, much less what size of tire.
That's what I thought. I just went and put a second spare tube in and it's holding air so I guess I just mounted it incorrectly.

PS: I didn't mean the grooves would actually make a difference, it was just the way I differentiated the two. :)

I guess everyone's gotta do something. Seems pretty shitty that he's not doing it for charity though (in fact, it's worse than that, he's actually taking donations for kit etc).

Also, WTF at his heart rate? Are there like, no hills at all on his route?

kottila

I guess everyone's gotta do something. Seems pretty shitty that he's not doing it for charity though (in fact, it's worse than that, he's actually taking donations for kit etc).

Also, WTF at his heart rate? Are there like, no hills at all on his route?

I'm sure it's not a well paid gig cycling every day for a whole year and the maintenance costs add up as well. He has my respect even if he makes money from doing it (and why shouldn't he be allowed to?)

It's certainly not something I'd give my money to. I actually went to donate to whatever charity he was supporting, and I was disgusted to find there wasn't one.

I wouldn't have actually minded if half was going to maint costs, half to a charity.

As for making money on it, if you can't afford to do something like that out of your own pocket. Don't do it (especially given it's being done for notoriety more than anything else). I'm currently supporting a guy that's riding around the world for cancer research who hasn't taken a penny of donated money for his own costs (which would be far higher due to air fares etc).

Ultimately though, it's down to individuals what they want to support... that's just my opinion on it.

I think it's about time I started making the mtb lighter. First order of business, going single chainring. Really cheap for significant weight savings, and useful too since I noticed that I pretty much never need the small ring. If things get hairy, I'll just get one of those cassette expanders.

That's certainly true, I'm a weakling. But the granny gear expander is pretty effective. My current lowest gear is 22-36, or 17.6 gear inches. With 1x10 granny it would be 32-42 / 22.0.

And most importantly I'd have red anodized rings and cogs. Red wunz go fasta!

HTupolev

So, I just moved to a place that's within a few miles of work. But, I've never really done much biking, and the only bike I owned was some mountain bike that I got when I was 13; too small for me to ride now without hurting my knees, and way too springy to be an efficient ride on smooth pavement.

Anyway, cut to the 1970s. Turns out that my grandfather once decided that he was totally going to get into biking, and he went and got a sweet road bike.

He also only rode it a couple times before chucking it in his shed, where it rested for almost forty years.

Anyway, recently, he was all like "hey, I've got this bike, want it?"

The old Fuji wasn't in perfect condition; break pads were rotting, cable casings looked iffy, boots on the break levers looked like a marshmallow peep that someone squeezed in their hand, the tires literally made crinkling noises, handlebar wrapping was hard, and various parts were in desperate need of some lube.

But all the core metal parts were basically pristine. This really wouldn't even take much fixing up.

So, yeah:

XFbyLCU.jpg

First things first: When this bike was made, indexed shifters weren't doing a very good job of existing, so friction shifters it is. Took a day to get used to, but I'm sort of liking it. Feels weirdly natural, actually.

Second things second: Road bikes are different, whoa. This thing is way faster and more efficient than any bike I've ridden before. On my first ride, I was really apprehensive about a brief stretch where I'd have to leave the bike path for a 35mph road. Actually sustaining high speeds will require some kind of "being in shape" thing, but at a sprint I was holding my own.

tl;dr :D

Jasup

That's a beautiful bike HTupolev. I really like the old design.

As a side note: I realy feel that you should never be forced to fast moving traffic. Safe cycling infrastructure where you're well away from cars should be available for everyone.

Also I wouldn't even dream of riding my bike home from a nightclub at early hours during a winter storm, completely wasted, for 7km if I'd had to cycle on streets with automobile traffic.

jts

...hate me...
Hi m8s.

I'm back on my bike, Schwalbes ISP are on. They feel great! And the place is really icy up in here right now so this makes a world of difference.

Anyway, I've removed and put back my chain quite a few times lately and now and I'm riding the bike for the first time in 2 months and the chain is sticking to the chainring thus getting jammed. This must be a lube problem right? (I am concerned that instead I might have inserted the chain wrong but I don't think so, seeing how everything works until it just sticks) Any recommendation to what to get, something that's easily available over the counter?

Sorry for the lame question, but I'm still new enough to the whole thing to have never lubed up a bike before.

Mascot

Fantastic day for riding yesterday: calm, sunny and 6 degrees.
Got halfway through swapping out my rear tyre for the new Maxxis but just could not get the new tyre on the rim with my butchered thumb. In fact, I pretty much undid all the healing process so far by attempting it and had to superglue the tip back on again.
Gave up and mowed the lawn instead.
Bah!

That sounds pleasant. =/

@jts: Sounds like it needs a good clean more than anything. As for lube, just get something that specifically says it works in low temperatures (and I guess when it's wet). Some gum up when they get too cold.

jts

...hate me...
That sounds pleasant. =/

@jts: Sounds like it needs a good clean more than anything. As for lube, just get something that specifically says it works in low temperatures (and I guess when it's wet). Some gum up when they get too cold.

Thanks. It definitely needs a clean. Meanwhile it got stuck again, to the point I had to take it apart, and I think now I put it 100% the correct way, as it goes through that thing that stops the inside of the chain of touching itself (sorry as my technical lingo is very limited :p) Pic: http://i.imgur.com/mCJEkee.jpg. I've rode some 10kms with no problems. Somehow the chain looks loose but maybe I'm just not remembering well how it always was.

And the Schwalbes are amazing! Can't believe how slippery the ground is as I put my foot on it, after bringing the bike to an easy stop almost like I was on dry asphalt.

Anyway, here's my bike, nothing to write home about but it is my vehicle, and my leisure as well :3

44PTAIcl.jpg

Hi m8s.

I'm back on my bike, Schwalbes ISP are on. They feel great! And the place is really icy up in here right now so this makes a world of difference.

Anyway, I've removed and put back my chain quite a few times lately and now and I'm riding the bike for the first time in 2 months and the chain is sticking to the chainring thus getting jammed. This must be a lube problem right? (I am concerned that instead I might have inserted the chain wrong but I don't think so, seeing how everything works until it just sticks) Any recommendation to what to get, something that's easily available over the counter?

Sorry for the lame question, but I'm still new enough to the whole thing to have never lubed up a bike before.

Sounds like chain suck, I read about it while researching for my 1x10 conversion. Off the top of my head, could be lack of lube, old chain, slack chain, old chainring or even a sticky freewheel.

Top Bottom