• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Holy shit, that is drool worthy. I love track bikes and I love Bianchi. Nice seat tube cutout.

How's no brakes working on the street? I would never dare do that even if I knew how to ride a fixed gear.

Shun

This is my main means of transportation at the moment as an international student other than bus or BART.

There aren't that many slopes around me when I usually ride around in Berkeley/Oakland and I'm no stranger to fixed gear so I'm holding up fine. You just have to learn how to control your pedaling when going a certain speed and be wary of things around you.

I'm lucky to not have run into any cars, trashcans, or anything else yet.

I got my Super Pista secondhand so I'm definitely going to install front brakes when I have the money for insurance sake.

Mascot

A mate of mine is doing this MTB event SOLO this weekend.

24 HOURS IN THE OLD PUEBLO, ARIZONA

That's 24 hours in the saddle. In the desert.

I originally thought he was doing it as a 4-man relay, taking turns for the 16-mile circuit. But no. He's doing it solo.

Madness.

Update to this: my mate managed 204 miles in desert conditions during the 24 hours. Amazing achievement for a recreational MTBer, I reckon.

1534277_10153169704561095_906946428082858851_n.jpg

Laekon

Update to this: my mate managed 204 miles in desert conditions during the 24 hours. Amazing achievement for a recreational MTBer, I reckon.

Had a bunch of friends and other people I know there this weekend to. An ex coworker male/female duo did 13 laps which is about the same as your friend. It's crazy the solo winner did 288 miles.

thomaser

You have a very broken definition of fun. I've done a lot of endurance stuff and that's never been a word I'd have anywhere near it. :D

Well, the video makes it look more like a party than a ride, to be honest... 200 miles is probably quite enjoyable if you can fill up with beer after every lap!

Fucksake. My bike is completely seized up. No ride for me tomorrow.

That's what happens when you don't have time to properly maintain your bike. GRRRRRR.

Took my missus's bike. Wasn't a bad ride, but damn cold when the clouds came over. Ended up pulling about half the way for my nephew, which was actually sorta fun. Had to keep looking over my shoulder to make sure I wasn't leaving him behind.

Stupid question time: I'm running an Ultegra triple that's a few years old, ~2002. I want to clean up my cockpit and get those cables under wraps (lol) so is it possible to just buy new shifters and route the cables or does it require a more expensive output of money? Thanks.

2SeeKU

Picked up my bike yesterday. Was very excited. Decided l'd skip the gym before work and hit the trails near me instead:

W0UGOSW.jpg

jts

...hate me...
^ nice looking bike.

Picked up mine a year ago, wish I'd gone with a 29er instead :/

One day.

kottila

Still haven't taken my by bike outside this year and going by the forecasts, it will remain in the basement at least until March. It looked so sad and lonely when I went down to see if it was still there the other day.

Jasup

Still haven't taken my by bike outside this year and going by the forecasts, it will remain in the basement at least until March. It looked so sad and lonely when I went down to see if it was still there the other day.

That's unfortunate. What's with the weather though?

Changed to slimmer spike tyres (Schwalbe Winter Active) on the SS because there's very little ice left. But what's left of it is deadly, I dismounted and my feet just kept going. I had to brake with the bike to stop myself!

Also, the super snugly fitting 35c tyres had lifted enough dirt and snow to remove paint from the seat tube. I'm tempted to put pitch on it, the channel the rat rod spirit.

Jasup

I'm considering buying studded tyres myself. I've never used them before and have managed to cycle through the year for years now.

This winter has been very bad with thaws and wet icy cycleways though, and I'm not getting any younger. I've still managed with my bike (I've driven maybe 5 times this year), but it hasn't always been a pleasant experience.

Lombax

Banned
Least cycling I've ever done this winter. I've turned properly fair weather in my old age.

We recently moved to NH and with the amount of snow this year I am in the same boat. Planning to buy a fat bike this summer because we now have 9 acres with trails to explore + conservation land behind that!

Jasup

Winter in the north. I'd rather run or ski than ride my bike when it's cold and/or wet.

Or do an hour of sufferfest on a spinning bike

I guess it depends on how your city deals with winter cycling (or cycling in general) and what you use your bike for. I rarely use my bicycle for recreation in winter, but still use it as my main mode of everyday transport. It's mainly because I can and because it's just more convenient in most cases than driving my car.

LeBoef

anyone else here attending this years 24h bicycle race on the nordschleife?
did the run in 2013 and told myself to come back for the cycle race.

going for the road race. there is a mtb race aswell.

jts

...hate me...
Seriously, every weekend past March is booked up for an event or a holiday or something.

You shouldn't be so stuck in the past, mate.

RE: winter riding, I've been doing it day in day out, even with lots of ice, snow, wind, sometimes water, and a half broken bike.
Finally got it fixed yesterday though. I think the derailleur was rotated backwards or forwards or something, the guy couldn't explain it very well, but the point is now it properly keeps the chain tensioned (?) again.

Counting the days until I break something else.

Got a flat this morning on the ride in. Wouldn't usually be a problem but I just switched my seat and hadn't gotten around to putting the tool bag back on as I've been having fit issues with it and I need easy access to the hex bolt for adjustments.

I had a puny little hand pump and that was it so I pumped it up and rode until it sounded low and repeated that for 5 miles. Luckily my wife wants to have lunch with me today so I called her up and she's bringing the hardware so I can change it out for the ride home.

Jasup

The condition on the cycleways was great today.
2002201583695jer.jpg

The unseasonably long thaws have been a bit of a problem for cycling, usually the temperature stays comfortably below freezing from december to march.

Still, my bike's tyres look like this.
2002201583886k8b.jpg

I chose to go by bike, because it's really not that bad. I keep saying that to myself.

I've also noted that when I'm approaching a particularly bad looking spot I start whistling. I guess it's some kind of involuntary reaction to stressful situation on bicycle. I didn't think about it that much, but today I heard another guy humming on slippery areas (also on bike). We had a very brief cycleway duet.

jts

...hate me...
Does all of Finland looks the same, Jasup?

That looks almost exactly like the way I ride every other day. Will try to snap a couple of pictures today.

And yeah see a lot of people riding their regular road bikes with regular tires, just like my GF does. I use fancy spiked tires on my MTB but in my defense, I think normal MTB tires are more dangerous/slippery on ice than thin road ones.

I could be wrong though. But one fall I had back in November on an icy patch means I don't want to take my chances.

Jasup

Does all of Finland looks the same, Jasup?

That looks almost exactly like the way I ride every other day. Will try to snap a couple of pictures today.

Well, no. If you go more south you'll find less snow and ice and more slush. These aren't also typical winter conditions, these are conditions you normally encounter in spring. It's the warm weather that does it.

And yeah see a lot of people riding their regular road bikes with regular tires, just like my GF does. I use fancy spiked tires on my MTB but in my defense, I think normal MTB tires are more dangerous/slippery on ice than thin road ones.

I could be wrong though. But one fall I had back in November on an icy patch means I don't want to take my chances.

It's true. There are a lot of people on bikes. If you look close enough there's a woman on bike in my upper picture, according to statistics about 20%-30% use studded tyres.

And yes, MBT tyres are mostly useless on ice. It's all about the size of the contact area between the tyre and the ice. Mine have very little pattern, so as I keep lower air pressure in them the effective contact area is actually comparably large as the tyre spreads out a little. In MTB tyres the contact area with the ice comprises mainly on the small peaks in the tyre's pattern.

It is slippery when you have water on the ice, but as soon as the temperature drops below freezing you have a good amount of grip.

It's also a matter of how used to you are on riding in winter. You have to plan well ahead when riding as you wan to avoid all sudden movements and sharp turns and forget about the front brake. It's a bit different, but manageable.

As a side note, you see much more slipping pedestrians than cyclists.

Whoah..! Cycling over ice is incredibly unnerving. Hitting patches of slippery mud is bad enough.
It's not that bad when you get used to it and I've been cycling year-round since I was a child. In my teens I even used a road bike with slim road tyres for my school trips. It is the most wrong type of bike for winter. But hey, it was cool. Anyway, you learn to read the road surface quite well around here.

I'll snap a few pics today, definitely not like that down here in Helsinki. It's just plain wet and dirty, with patches of melting ice.

edit: Helsinki winter wonderland!

lXFH2pa.jpg

Ugh, it's tough learning bike maintenance. Bought a new road handlebar, dismantled the old one, then realized the new one is 31.8mm and the old is 25.4. In my defence, according to specs the old one should've been 31.8 too, but then again the bike was heavily discounted.

In any case, I should've checked before ripping off bar tape and unscrewing everything. Now I get to wait for a few days for a new stem. Hopefully the Germans are a bit faster with the shipping thing, now that it's not holiday season anymore.

robox

it's fun learning all the different sizes and specs of parts!

not really, but it's happened to me on a number of occasions. and now i knowww... find specs and measure everything

desu

Bought myself a used racing bike for christmas.

Today we had nice weather (strong winds @ ~4°C) so I took my chance to test it. I cycled ~108km and I am pretty dead now, will sleep super well tonight.

robox

Didn't know there was a thread for this.

Picked this up in December.

bianchi-super-pista-20710_2.jpg

didn't realized i had a super pista brother in here.
got mine in november. found my ideal colorway. that was a happy moment.
to replace another bike stolen in october. that was a sad moment.

been riding this all
california
winter

Laekon

bianchi-super-pista-20710_2.jpg

didn't realized i had a super pista brother in here.
got mine in november. found my ideal colorway. that was a happy moment.
to replace another bike stolen in october. that was a sad moment.

been riding this all
california
winter

Nice build kit. Do you really keep track of your miles with the computer? Doesn't look like you have a mount on the bars for seeing it while riding.

Shun

been riding this all [SPOILER]california[/SPOILER] winter[/QUOTE]

Truuuuu. As much as I miss the snow and the motherland, Bay weather is perfect to ride 24/7. This + BART monorail is perfect at the moment.

I bought secondhand in almost perfect condition. I'm glad it came from good owner since I saw the Never Not Riding sticker.

These past few months, I noticed it attracts more attention than normal. I am meticulous about bringing it everywhere, even into campus lecture hall. It is really selfish but I need to find a way to make sure nothing happens to it.

Top Bottom