• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

awesome, just noticed my front wheel is missing one of the bolts on the axle. Forgot my wallet and have to ride about 5 miles. If I die, avenge my death, bike-gaf.

Depends a lot on the fork you've got / rear triangle you're running.

To be honest, you've got to be REALLY carving the shit out of the bike to notice. I've only recently started picking up on the flex, and that's when I'm down in the top third of numbers on descents.

That said, I don't weigh much, so I guess heavier riders might notice sooner.

Gray Matter

Probably not as bad your injury Psychotext, but my right knee has been bothering me since last week. I should probably go easy this week.

I'm quite heavy but I don't have a point of comparison. The Trek just goes and so far no issues with QRs. I should test ride some stuff but I don't think most shops would appreciate me bombing down a rocky hill on a tester.

Mascot

I used to want a Y-foil so bad, especially after they appeared on Pacific Blue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh82-UKk6Xs. Not sure I'd ride a road version though

Ha ha... that looks like an awesome show.

My Y-11 was blue with yellow forks.

DSCF9140.jpg

Ah... the 1990s.

I used to want a Y-foil so bad, especially after they appeared on Pacific Blue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh82-UKk6Xs. Not sure I'd ride a road version though

Aren't those basically the wheels that will shatter when the right force is applied?

It was rainy this morning and my booties didn't keep up their side of the bargain so I had some wet shoes. I usually wear them upstairs and then change into my dress shoes but I didn't want wet socks so I was carrying them on the elevator. Another person got on and looked at me and asked, "Are those soccer cleats? Or maybe baseball?" I'm in an elevator in a downtown building getting ready to go up to work. I just laughed and said they were bicycle cleats. He turned red and said, "Oh, yeah, that makes more sense."

:lol

Yeah I'm getting something similar too. Yesterday tried riding on the highest gear all the time (to get more of a workout, or so I thought). Awoke this morning with muscle swelling around my left knee...

Read a bit, and it turns out its muscle imbalance. Looked up on YouTube to do some strengthening exercises.

This is such a bad bad bad idea.

Today I've been looking into ways to add weight to my bike so as to slow me down when I'm out with (much) slower friends. So far the best suggestions seem to be water bottles filled with lead shot, and ankle weights.

There were other suggestions like putting on DH tyres / tubes but I don't really want to have to mess around too much swapping bits in and out.

Stryder

That seems ridiculous. Why don't you set waypoints that you meet at and you just take a lengthier route? Or just.. be patient.

That seems ridiculous. Why don't you set waypoints that you meet at and you just take a lengthier route? Or just.. be patient.

Because they don't navigate, I do, and they've complained about it feeling like a solo ride when I either give them a headstart or when I just go off at my pace.

As for being patient, no-one wants someone going up a hill next to them happily chatting away when they're blowing out their arse dying trying to get up the hill. Even with that aside, it's bastard hard trying to slow down to someone else's pace when you're used to a particular rhythm on a hill.

All that aside, I have very limited ride time, and I can't just go out without it having at least some training benefit. This is the best solution to drag me back to their speeds without making them feel useless or frustrating the hell out of me.

Edit - To be clear, I'm not talking about riding with people that are say 10-20% slower than me... I'm talking about riding with people who are 50% slower than me. They tend to ride maybe once every couple of months, whereas I ride at least once a week and train at least every other day.

Looks like bollocks to me.

Fun fact, I bought the bike (Scott Genius 750 for those interested) from a big chain store because it was cheap, and naturally the gears were set up all wrong. Could've taken it back to get them sorted, but instead I finally learned to index gears. Wasn't nearly as hard as I thought!

That goes for just about everything on the bike. Except for trueing. Oh man that's difficult. Which sucks because a project cruiser that "runs great, just needs the rear axle adjusted" turns out to have half of the rear spokes broken and needing replaced. How the guy didn't notice I have no idea. Maybe he did and just wanted it gone? Anyway, it would appear that I get to build a wheel in the next few weeks.

I don't bother with truing. I have someone who charges me £10 ($16) for it. It's really not worth the stress to consider doing myself.

I do re-tensioning if I notice a spoke is particularly loose though.

thomaser

Went on my second training session with the local cycling club today. I set a bunch of PRs, most of them just by coasting behind everyone else. So THAT's how they do it.

HTupolev

Went on my second training session with the local cycling club today. I set a bunch of PRs, most of them just by coasting behind everyone else. So THAT's how they do it.
Yes, drafting makes an absolutely astronomical difference.

It has a large impact even in lower-speed sports like running. Someone leads a group for the first 7 laps of a 3200m race? They'll often get horribly dropped around the start of the final lap when people start their kick.

I'm going to use this to justify not bothering to do any centuries in preparation for STP. If I get to the point where I feel okay doing solo ~70s on two days in a row, a couple of centuries in the slipstream should work out okay.

thomaser

Yes, drafting makes an absolutely astronomical difference.

It has a large impact even in lower-speed sports like running. Someone leads a group for the first 7 laps of a 3200m race? They'll often get horribly dropped around the start of the final lap when people start their kick.

Yeah, it was remarkable how effective it was even on steep climbs. Part of it is of course because I had a higher speed than usual coming into the climb, so I had higher momentum on the way up. But there's also a strong psychological effect in having someone just in front of you on a climb. Makes it easier to kick in an extra gear or two.

Rbk_3

I transferred everything over from MMR to Strava, but man am I disappointed that there is no voice cues. This is pretty baffling.

Would there be issues riding and mapping with both apps tracking on my phone so I can still get the voice cues from MMR?

Mascot

Fun fact, I bought the bike (Scott Genius 750 for those interested) from a big chain store because it was cheap, and naturally the gears were set up all wrong. Could've taken it back to get them sorted, but instead I finally learned to index gears. Wasn't nearly as hard as I thought!

Just curious - how cheap is cheap?

In other news, my new derailleur didn't arrive yesterday. Son of a...

I transferred everything over from MMR to Strava, but man am I disappointed that there is no voice cues. This is pretty baffling.

Would there be issues riding and mapping with both apps tracking on my phone so I can still get the voice cues from MMR?

Shouldn't imagine so. Additional battery pain aside.

I'm going to use this to justify not bothering to do any centuries in preparation for STP. If I get to the point where I feel okay doing solo ~70s on two days in a row, a couple of centuries in the slipstream should work out okay.
Last year on the STP I got to the part that's on a bike path and no one would go as fast as I wanted. I mean, it's a dedicated path, you don't have to worry about usual bike lane hurdles, so go. Anyway, I said 'fuck it' and started passing everyone. After a mile or two I notice that I have a pace line formed behind me. Assholes. Anyway, I led that thing for the duration of the bike path and then they all passed me because I my second wind was gone and I went back to my normal pace.

The hardest part of the ride was the rolling hills on 30 just outside of Portland. I hate those things on normal rides around the area so having to do them after 160+ miles already was a PITA.
yeah, lesson learned.
When I started bicycling again as an adult I thought that the harder I worked my muscles the stronger they'd get (like weight lifting) but all that earned me was some really sore knees. I read a few books and it turns out that cadence is where you get your strength so you should always be in a gear that grants you the 80-90 magic number. You should never be 'working' for your ride for great lengths of time. Sprints and climbing? Yeah. Everything else? Nah.

When I started bicycling again as an adult I thought that the harder I worked my muscles the stronger they'd get (like weight lifting) but all that earned me was some really sore knees. I read a few books and it turns out that cadence is where you get your strength so you should always be in a gear that grants you the 80-90 magic number. You should never be 'working' for your ride for great lengths of time. Sprints and climbing? Yeah. Everything else? Nah.

It's a combination of two things: power and cadence. Ideally you're trying to train your legs to spin at a speed for which you maximize your power. 90-100 is actually more preferable on flatter areas and 70-80 for some climbs. Now, there is a caveat to climbing too where people may be more efficient spinning at 90 on a climb versus trudging at say 80. Climbing is really a fickle beast and every person needs to figure out what works for them (in vs out of saddle for one).

Power meters are really the ideal way to properly train on the bike, but they're expensive and require a bit more learning to properly utilize. For 99% of people who ride their bikes it's complete overkill.

Top Bottom