• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

Just got back from a little 20-mile test of the new rear mech.

Mmm. Needs some adjustment. It searches in a couple of gears which strips all my confidence away when I need to put the power down. I foresee a large pot of coffee and a morning of tweaking ahead tomorrow.

Mascot

Surprised it would take you that long. These days I can do it in minutes.

Yeah, it didn't take me long to install the mech and set the limits and alignment, but I skimped on not changing the cable to save time and didn't fit a new chain. Got a feeling those are contributing to the searching issue. I'll probably change the cable and chain tomorrow and be done with it. Need to double check the alignment of the hanger too - I can't believe it wasn't damaged somehow - the old mech is bent like a bastard. Must have been one hell of a force.

To the guy wanting to put weights on his bike to be slower: I don't think it will slow you down significantly after you get rolling, especially on flat terrain. If you're doing a lot of hills, then it would most likely work.

How about challenging yourself by doing a different kind of training instead? Like: limit yourself to the inner cog and pedal only using the lower gears. Coast when you have spun out the gear. Heck, if you feel that's still too fast, how about doing one-legged pedaling drills on the road?

I already know it works by virtue of having gone out with that much weight on the bike (bikepacking). That was the whole reason behind trying to find a more balanced way of getting the weight on the bike.

Besides, slowing down on the flats is easy, going slow on the hills is another story.

Mascot

Yep. Hanger was bent to buggery. The whole mech was toeing in.

20150517_091122.jpg

Took the mech off and persuaded it square with a big adjustable spanner, checking the final fit with my DIY calibration tool (a length of fibreglass rod sitting in the drop-outs and a square plate for alignment. Perfect!

20150517_092958.jpg

Adjustable spanner related... I trued my discs that way a few days back. They no longer touch my pads, but the discs wiggle like crazy now when you look at them close up. :D

Panzon

Hey guys firat time posting on this thread.

I'm going to be doing some courier work starting next week for some extra cash but also to take advantage and get in shape. I know how to ride bikes but have no idea of what's good and What isn't so I'm lookig for some help. Midtown and downtown manhattan will be where I will be doing deliveries.

What is the best starter bike for this kind of situation? My budget is from $200 to $400 and maybe $500 if absolutely necessary. I'm trying to learn about all the brands and stuff but my god there is just so much to absorb in such a short amount of time. Had no clue the Bicycle world was this complicated and expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P470E96/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030U8SU6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So far these two have caught my eye but I would really like some of you experienced folks to guide me. Thanks!

Most couriers I know use shitty old bikes, generally single speed or fixie (the fashionable tossers on the latter). I'd be half tempted to grab something used.

Panzon

Most couriers I know use shitty old bikes, generally single speed or fixie (the fashionable tossers on the latter). I'd be half tempted to grab something used.
I don't like buying used things. Never works out for me. I also don't mind investing on a decent bike because it won't only be used for courier sevices. That's only for some extra cash and I won't be working more than 3-4 hours a few times a week. Getting in good shape is more important to me but I'd just like to knock down 2 birds with one stone

Fair enough, but one way or another you're going to need to learn how to maintain / fix a bike if you're going to be spending courier sorts of time on it. At it's heart a bike is a really simple bit of kit. Easy to check over for problems.

Panzon

Maintaining shouldn't be a problem and I'm sure there's plenty of tutorials on that. I just want a decent bike that isn't too heavy or too tall (I'm only 5'7)

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I have a 5 year old Gary Fisher Tiburon and the stock hardware's seen better days (the front derailleur doesn't even shift into 2nd anymore). The frame's a bit heavy, but I like it for the mix of city and trail riding that I like to do, and I'm on a budget so I'm looking to just turn this into a Frankenbike. Any suggestions on affordable derailleurs and other hardware I would probably need? I wouldn't mind tires a bit fatter to handle dirt better, but I'm not sure if I can do that with the stock rims or if I'd have to get a couple new ones. I'm open to buying new rims, too.

Also, I'd like to get a rooftop rack for my 2012 Ford Focus hatchback. Any recommendations on that? Thanks.

Before you assume that the derailleur has gone, have you replaced the cable?

If it wasn't returning to the inner sprocket it would be one thing, but not shifting up is usually because of cable stretch.

As for the rack... if you have to go that way, then Thule Proride is considered the gold standard. Towbar mount racks are better though (you will utterly annihilate your fuel economy with a roof rack model), and far more safe / secure. Maybe also consider something like this: http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products...nted-bike-carriers/thule-raceway-991-_-991000

amnesiac

So I just picked up a mountain bike and have been riding a lot the past week. The saddle is pretty stiff (they're all like that i guess) and I'm getting pretty sore. Will I get used to it after awhile or is it something that just keeps getting worse?

t-ramp

So I just picked up a mountain bike and have been riding a lot the past week. The saddle is pretty stiff (they're all like that i guess) and I'm getting pretty sore. Will I get used to it after awhile or is it something that just keeps getting worse?
Did you get some padded biking shorts? I'm not sure how I managed without them for a while, but I always wear some when I go out now.

Also, what bike did you get?

Can't fault it on looks. To be honest though, that side of the fence isn't my speciality. There are a few posters here who know that sort of stuff.

Hey Psychotext, I think I'm just gonna take your advice afterall and go for a single speed bike. I was looking at a certain fixed gear model. Its a good price and has decent reviews. Tell me what you think

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006CFDMQQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That looks like a Chinese catalogue brand, so you could be getting a good bike or a bad bike, bit of a crapshoot really.

You should probably check out bike stores in your area first, could be you find a great bike there, singlespeed or otherwise.

davidnic

Also, I'd like to get a rooftop rack for my 2012 Ford Focus hatchback. Any recommendations on that? Thanks.

I bought Thule roof racks for my VW Polo GTI Hatchback when I bought in 2013. I love them use them every weekend to go racing.

I use this ones,
www.thule.com.au/thule-wingbar
http://www.thule.com.au/details.php?p_id=805&listid=1&slistid=&seo=Thule_Rapid_System_754
http://www.thule.com.au/thule-outride-561

But before doing this go Thule site and do "Fit my Car" just make sure everything fits,
http://www.thule.com.au/fit-my-car.php

I also had cut about 5 cm (2inchs) of my bike carriers cause there hit my boot when it went up.

Hey Psychotext, I think I'm just gonna take your advice afterall and go for a single speed bike. I was looking at a certain fixed gear model. Its a good price and has decent reviews. Tell me what you think

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006CFDMQQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I buy a lot of stuff online and through Amazon sight unseen, but I would never buy a bike this way. Especially not for a first bike. Go find a a place by you that sells bikes and look at them, take them for a ride, then buy something.

It's well worth getting a bike fit, or at the very least, using something like this:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

Should also be noted that any adjustments you made should be given at least a week to work themselves out. Some professional fits will have you come back in 2-3 weeks to reaccess your riding position. As you adjust your hips, shoulders, back, etc can move again. It takes some time to get something perfectly dialed in.

Phobophile

Before you assume that the derailleur has gone, have you replaced the cable?

If it wasn't returning to the inner sprocket it would be one thing, but not shifting up is usually because of cable stretch.

As for the rack... if you have to go that way, then Thule Proride is considered the gold standard. Towbar mount racks are better though (you will utterly annihilate your fuel economy with a roof rack model), and far more safe / secure. Maybe also consider something like this: http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products...nted-bike-carriers/thule-raceway-991-_-991000

Hmm, maybe I'll take my bike into a local shop and have them take a look. There's and affordable and honest one in my neighborhood I've been to a few times. If it just needs a tuneup, that's great. I'm willing to learn that stuff and to it myself, but I just don't have the time.

Bummer about the added drag from the rooftop racks. I hadn't thought of that. I get 38-40 mpg on the highway and I'd be miffed if I lost that.

I bought Thule roof racks for my VW Polo GTI Hatchback when I bought in 2013. I love them use them every weekend to go racing.

I use this ones,
www.thule.com.au/thule-wingbar
http://www.thule.com.au/details.php?p_id=805&listid=1&slistid=&seo=Thule_Rapid_System_754
http://www.thule.com.au/thule-outride-561

But before doing this go Thule site and do "Fit my Car" just make sure everything fits,
http://www.thule.com.au/fit-my-car.php

I also had cut about 5 cm (2inchs) of my bike carriers cause there hit my boot when it went up.

Unfortunately, that fit my car is only on the Aussie website.

I'm not really a fan of those rear mounted bike carriers, either. What about getting a hitch installed? I know my car isn't rated for towing, but that shouldn't preclude me from getting a hitch for a bike rack.

Bummer about the added drag from the rooftop racks. I hadn't thought of that. I get 38-40 mpg on the highway and I'd be miffed if I lost that.

I lose about 5 to 8mpg with my bikes on the roof.

...and yeah, you could get a tow bar (hitch) fitted, though obviously that can be expensive.

I used to mountain bike a lot. I haven't done it regularly since maybe 2011. I'm sort of thinking about getting back into it but apparently wheels larger than 26" are a common thing now? Can anyone fill me in on that stuff? Or maybe point me in the right direction...

Phobophile

I lose about 5 to 8mpg with my bikes on the roof.

...and yeah, you could get a tow bar (hitch) fitted, though obviously that can be expensive.

Is that just with the bikes on? Do you lose mpg with the rack empty? I'm fine with losing mileage with bikes on top since that's not a daily occurrence for me. It's a dealbreaker if I lose mileage during my daily commute.

davidnic

Is that just with the bikes on? Do you lose mpg with the rack empty? I'm fine with losing mileage with bikes on top since that's not a daily occurrence for me. It's a dealbreaker if I lose mileage during my daily commute.

You do use more km/L or mpg with the roof racks on with no bikes but isn't too much, I tink mine use .4 of Litre more per 100km. Any car is made as aero as possible by the manufacturer and any add-ons to any car will increase the kms\L or mpg.

kottila

I used to mountain bike a lot. I haven't done it regularly since maybe 2011. I'm sort of thinking about getting back into it but apparently wheels larger than 26" are a common thing now? Can anyone fill me in on that stuff? Or maybe point me in the right direction...

29 was the big thing for a year and now it is 27.5. Next year 26 will be retro cool.

Anyone here have any experience flying with bikes? What sort of bags/cases do you use?

There's really not much between them in terms of speed, but it's hard to recommend at 26er these days as companies are starting to stop making them.

Go with a 27.5 (650b) or 29er and you'll be fine. The difference isn't really worth going into, but generally if you do much twistier, tighter trails, the small wheel size is better. If you're doing more climbing and general cross country, the bigger wheel size is better.

1 or 2 mpg less with the bars on generally, though it depends on the bars. I have Thule Wingbars which are considered to be amongst the most aero you can get.

Anyone here have any experience flying with bikes? What sort of bags/cases do you use?

I generally try to hire when I'm there (I don't need my pride and joy smashed to bits), otherwise, one of these: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...es/product/review-evoc-bike-travel-bag-39710/

Hey Mascot, is it Slade Woods that's your local haunt? Been looking at various trails all day, trying to catch up on some long term route planning.

Mascot

Hey Mascot, is it Slade Woods that's your local haunt? Been looking at various trails all day, trying to catch up on some long term route planning.

Indeed it is! Responsible for one chipped elbow, one (tiny) fractured coxxyx and one bent rear mech in the last month alone...

IMG_20140720_160418.jpg

Heading down this way? Hit me up and I'll be your tour guide.

Top Bottom