• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Teggy

That actually reminds me of a funny story from this weekend when I was buying my bike. It's been so long since I have ridden a road bike (I had a 10 speed back in the early 90's maybe) that I didn't know how to hold the handle bars right.

In the olden days we had brakes like these:

SekineSHC271_56_HandleBars.jpg

so you would ride with your hands up high and use those levers to brake, unless you were in "speed mode".

Now they've gotten rid of those (for safety I guess). So I was way down low, and the sales guy had to show me that you could ride with your hands on top of the brakes:

Yup, that's how they were when I was a kid. Admittedly I don't get out on my road bike much, but I really don't feel comfortable braking from the hoods.

It's all about setting up the brakes. There's a local bike shop that knows how to make caliper brakes feel super light and responsive. I did a real emergency stop, on the hoods at 30km/h, on my road bike last autumn and it stopped like an mtb with hydraulics.

Tuck

I bought a bike! My first bike in a long time. A Raleigh Venture. By no means is it a high end bike, but its not a garbage walmart bike either, so hopefully it won't fall apart in a year.

Now I just need to come up with a list of places to take it riding.

HTupolev

That actually reminds me of a funny story from this weekend when I was buying my bike. It's been so long since I have ridden a road bike (I had a 10 speed back in the early 90's maybe) that I didn't know how to hold the handle bars right.

In the olden days we had brakes like these:

so you would ride with your hands up high and use those levers to brake, unless you were in "speed mode".
That was an artifact more or less from the bike boom, where the only cool bike was a drop bar road bike. Some people wanted to get in on the road bike action but weren't actually inclined to ride on the hoods, so manufacturers offered those crazy brake lever attachments on some of their entry-level bikes. As these funky-lever bikes typically also lacked hoods on the brake levers, you were basically forced to not use the classic hood position.

But the "standard" configuration has always been like the modern ones.

Here's Gino Bartali being awesome shortly after WWII:

Gtdxt2Q.jpg

And here's a midrange road bike from 1983 with a decently-good sport tourer from 1979 behind it, both with their original levers:

cBcb2M4.jpg

Can't say I agree on that one. I've done tens of thousands of miles on flats with no worries, and I still manage to be pretty much the quickest person in any group up the climbs.

If you like having your feet snapped to your pedals... cool. If you don't... cool. But it's really not an "upgrade". The differences in efficiency are next to nothing (I spent years convinced clipless was the only choice, and then I actually tried both, one ride on, one ride off for about six months).

Edit - Oh, and that's a sexy blue bike, no doubt. I'd definitely lose the cages though... clipless or not.

Edit 2 - This is where Mascot and I fight.

Of course its a preference thing. But i have yet to meet a single person who wasn't blown away by the feel of switching to cleats. Myself included. Cleats and some cycling shorts with a good shami will make you extremely comfortable on long rides. Helmet is obligatory when it comes to biking. I guess everyones different. Me on the other hand cant stand wearing cycling gloves and just use a nice gel bar tape. Meanwhile everyone els around me doesn't seem to ride without them. I like the feeling of the road on my hands.

HTupolev

Of course its a preference thing. But i have yet to meet a single person who wasn't blown away by the feel of switching to cleats.
They offer more confident foot contact, which can definitely be nice, although oddly enough perhaps most significant on bikes with clunky derailleurs. My hardtail has platforms, which feel fine except for the occasional instance where the drivetrain momentarily loses pressure in the middle of a rear shift.

But in my experience, most of the "massive improvement" is a silly trick where marketing tells new cyclists that they should be driving up hard on the upstroke, which can "feel good" when you're at a point where you haven't figured out a decent pedal stroke, and so a bunch of people sort of buy into it. It's probably a valid tip for edge cases like sprinting, but creates inefficient and clunky form for cruising.

I think another factor with people hating platforms is that stock platforms often aren't particularly good. Moving from stock wellgos to SPD-SL 6800 can be an improvement, no doubt; but so can moving from stock wellgos to a half-decent platform with set screws.
edit: Oh, and this is especially silly with vintage bikes whose pedals were meant to go with cages and straps and cleats that fit into the gaps in the pedals which a lot of people don't realize existed. The resulting "platform pedal" is basically flat metal, and often one side has a bulge so the result is also a one-sided pedal that doesn't gravity itself to the correct side. And when those things get wet... D:

Me on the other hand cant stand wearing cycling gloves and just use a nice gel bar tape. Meanwhile everyone els around me doesn't seem to ride without them. I like the feeling of the road on my hands.
It depends on your hands and the gloves in question. I can deal with some amount of squishiness on the bars (most of my bikes have gel cork tape), but I can't use padded gloves without pinching the crap out of my nerves. I usually wear full-finger unpadded gloves, occasionally going glove-free.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Of course its a preference thing. But i have yet to meet a single person who wasn't blown away by the feel of switching to cleats. Myself included. Cleats and some cycling shorts with a good shami will make you extremely comfortable on long rides. Helmet is obligatory when it comes to biking. I guess everyones different. Me on the other hand cant stand wearing cycling gloves and just use a nice gel bar tape. Meanwhile everyone els around me doesn't seem to ride without them. I like the feeling of the road on my hands.

I don't really care for the clipless in my road bike and I will probably never switch from flats on my mountain bike.

teepo

wouldn't the pros and cons between clips and flats be more pronounced on mtbs when compared to road bikes? you'd have to be a real pro -- on top of being fearless - to use clips on some of the rock gardens and tech climbing videos i've come across. no way i'd ever use clips once i get a mtb

Yeah, SPD on MTB is another level of scary at times. You need big balls like Mascot to use them on the really technical stuff. Fair play though, they're AMAZING on technical climbs... the one place I wont even try to argue flats are better. It's not even close.

As for their use generally... get them adjusted wrong and they're a one way trip to completely destroyed knees. That's why you're always better off going for a set with a decent multidirectional float (and getting them fitted professionally).

But in my experience, most of the "massive improvement" is a silly trick where marketing tells new cyclists that they should be driving up hard on the upstroke, which can "feel good" when you're at a point where you haven't figured out a decent pedal stroke, and so a bunch of people sort of buy into it..

Pulling on the upstroke; another great way to toast your knees. Ironically one of the best ways to get a properly smooth pedal stroke is learning how to do super high cadence on flats.

Yeah, SPD on MTB is another level of scary at times. You need big balls like Mascot to use them on the really technical stuff. Fair play though, they're AMAZING on technical climbs... the one place I wont even try to argue flats are better. It's not even close.

As for their use generally... get them adjusted wrong and they're a one way trip to completely destroyed knees. That's why you're always better off going for a set with a decent multidirectional float (and getting them fitted professionally).

Pulling on the upstroke; another great way to toast your knees. Ironically one of the best ways to get a properly smooth pedal stroke is learning how to do super high cadence on flats.

The upstroke i do also believe is a myth. I also wouldn't dare ride a mountain bike with spd's. Im just shocked by the amount of people saying they don't like cleats for road biking. Fair enough. I just love that one to one feel i get from biking shoes on long rides.

I wear SPD's when I go mountain biking....

I'm not doing super technical stuff, but they're still kind of tough on climbs with some roots. I routinely feel unbalanced on climbs with them.

Probably just need to work a bit on your core strength and balance. Tis a meaningful disadvantage of mountain biking... you can't just make your legs go around. ;)

It's mostly positioning. Every time I hit a climb with some roots I for some reason I lean forward and take all the weight off the rear wheel. That coupled with poor gearing where I'll likely end up spinning the rear wheel.

HTupolev

Get a soft brush on a longer wand. Something that is flexible and maleable which can be worked into those spaces. Get it in with a good lather and just let it sit for a 30-1 minute. Then hit it with some water. It wont be perfect, but it should break up most of it.
I'll give that a shot next time.

bWvnEUa.jpg

SUGINO MIGHTY, restored to something vaguely approximating its 1979 shiny splendor.

Now I just need to deal with everything else that's filthy, like the entire rest of the bike. I'll definitely want to try a deep soft brush for the freewheel.

I'm not doing super technical stuff, but they're still kind of tough on climbs with some roots. I routinely feel unbalanced on climbs with them.
Nothing you do to your pedals will make climbs covered in huge roots un-finicky. Such is the nature of huge roots.

Mascot

I don't feel safe unless I'm clipped into my MTB spuds, and always use them. I have them dialled out to the weakest tension yet still never unintentionally disengage. I can twist out of them instinctively when bailing 99.9% of the time, even with the permanent ligament damage in my left ankle which means lateral rotational strength is pretty non-existent. Flats on any rough stuff and jumps just seem like a good way to make balls meet down tube. I don't know how people keep their feet on them..! :p

It's called proper technique Mr Pull Up Pedal Bunny Hop. :p

Unrelated, when are you coming adventuring with me? Need to get you out of that little forest and into Afan or Brechfa.

Mascot

Unrelated, when are you coming adventuring with me? Need to get you out of that little forest and into Afan or Brechfa.

You always make it sound so appealing: freezing cold, soaking wet, eating dirt, crippling injuries, ill from exhaustion, broken bikes, buggered by hillbillies....

Mascot

Sounds like mountain biking to me!

Apart from the buggering, that is.

Had a few snaps of my mate's (just rinsed and therefore wet) bike sent through and can't work out WTF is up with the bash ring. It looks like it's been coated in Tippex (or bird shit), which is now flaking off. Weird.

received_10154566713325329_zpskmutxyou.jpeg

Gonna do the five-hour round trip on Saturday to check it and and probably buy. Just had it confirmed that it's a Large, which makes me very happy indeed.

Probably tried to paint it to make it GNAR.

I think I'd lose the Zee on it though. Probably go with XT for trail or Saint for full on gravity style. That said, it looks like it's a got a clutch mech on it, so it must be relatively recent.

broony

Started riding my dads old mountain bike to work about 8 weeks ago. It's only 4.5 miles each way down gravel paths with a bit of road so changed the route after a couple of weeks and now do 7.5 miles each way, again mix of gravel and roads and more hills. I have to do the morning school run one day so I am doing about 60 miles a week then sometimes get out for 10-20 miles on the weekend.

I feel I have been getting much fitter and I have lost 18 pounds so far. This week though I have started to feel weak and worn out. I'm guessing I am not getting enough of the right foods. Often when I get home around 5 I have a couple of hours looking after the kids and putting them to bed and often don't eat my dinner until about 8.

I suspect this is stupid. However I don't have the time to eat properly any earlier. Do you think something like a banana smoothie as soon as I get home at 5 should help? And something similar after my morning ride?

teepo

sounds like you need rest more so than you need the calories. sixty miles a week will take a toll on an inexperienced rider.

every three to four weeks, cycle to work two or three times during the week at a lower intensity than what you're used to doing to so that your body can recover and build stronger muscles.

also, make sure you're getting plenty of fluids and electrolytes. if weight loss is your intention, you might want to avoid the sugar and carbs until you're at a weight your happy with and want to start riding way more seriously. follow this guide: http://blog.trainerroad.com/3-keys-to-training-fuel-while-riding/

broony

sounds like you need rest more so than you need the calories. sixty miles a week will take a toll on an inexperienced rider.

every three to four weeks, cycle to work two or three times during the week at a lower intensity than what you're used to doing to so that your body can recover and build stronger muscles.

also, make sure you're getting plenty of fluids and electrolytes. if weight loss is your intention, you might want to avoid the sugar and carbs until you're at a weight your happy with and want to start riding way more seriously. follow this guide: http://blog.trainerroad.com/3-keys-to-training-fuel-while-riding/

Thanks for the reply. Weight loss is not really the aim, more just to get fit and I'm just enjoying riding. I'm thinking of mixing it up a bit and do the short route more often or dropping a riding day.

skip

Thanks for the reply. Weight loss is not really the aim, more just to get fit and I'm just enjoying riding. I'm thinking of mixing it up a bit and do the short route more often or dropping a riding day.

Yep, rest and distance reduction are important. I ramped up my distances too fast this spring and now I've got some nagging knee pain I didn't have last year. Scaling back the miles and adding an extra rest day is my plan.

Yep, rest and distance reduction are important. I ramped up my distances too fast this spring and now I've got some nagging knee pain I didn't have last year. Scaling back the miles and adding an extra rest day is my plan.

Yeah, loads of people get knee issues in the spring because they didn't keep up the volume through winter. Bad times.

Mascot

The route map shows that Strava ended the recording when I stopped to share a gel with a distressed bumblebee. I don't feel so bad about it now. Hell, if every rider on the planet donated ten miles from every ride to save a bee then the world would be a better place.

Protip: bees love lemon & lime SIS GO gels.

teepo

"It's spring, better go hit the KOMS and slam the hills" -- most people coming out of winter

despite fall and early winter being undoubtedly the best time to attempt KOMS, given less traffic, less cyclists/pedestrians/kids, favorable headwinds, higher FTP, cooler weather, etc etc tec

Just finished putting my Welsh Ride Thing route together.

325km with 7,740m of climbing (201 miles / 25,400 feet) probably about half on road, half off. Will actually be slightly longer than that though as I'm heading past Coed Y Brenin trail centre, and I'm definitely going to have to get a loop in. :D

Kawl_USC

So I jumped in and bought a 1997 Trek 2100 carbon road bike as a semi spur of the moment type deal.

I've put in a couple of 10 mile ish easy rides, and worked my way up to a 20 mile/1 hour ride today. The bike feels great but I feel like I have very limited idea in what I'm doing. Any one have tips/a link on basic riding form, especially for the down position?

I'm trying to gather up all the necessary accessories (bike pump, light, lock, etc) but definitely feel like a bit of a jabroni riding in just gym shorts and shirt as well, so figure I will probably get some shorts at the very least.

In terms of planning out rides, is there any recommended programming (similar to Starting Strength) for some one getting into cycling and wanting to make a concerted effort to not just be spinning my wheels?

HTupolev

Don't forget the unicorn tears for the rims.
Nonsense, you only use magnets with rims, so that you can drive the wheel with an electromagnet in your seat tube.

Could you imagine steel wool on a bike? So many scratches
0000 steel wool is really soft, and steel wool can definitely be used to clean chrome without catastrophic results.

Depending on what you're dealing with, it can be an easy way to make aluminum gleam as well, although some people raise concerns over microscopic bits of steel sticking around.

Mascot

I tend to just stick mine against a wall, or better still in a corner.

I tell you, this wall-mounted bracket-clamp-thing is awesome for cleaning your bike. It comes with two wall brackets so I've got one in my garage for hanging the bike up out of the way for normal storage (with a big-ass motorbike codelock hard-fixed into the wall for security) and one mounted outside in the cleaning area. I also use it for general maintenance (it's not as good as a freestanding frame because you might need to flip the bike around but really - it's no problem).

IMG_20140503_141731_zpscgmnukru.jpg

Regarding cleaning gubbins, I tend to hose/jetwash the mud off (avoiding bearings, seals etc, natch) then wipe it down with an old teeshirt (if I can be arsed). The chain gets done with a clockwork chain cleaner then dried, GT85'd and lubed. Moving parts on shifters, levers, derailleurs etc get a quick blast of GT85. I've never bothered with Muc-Off or any of that pointless overpriced shite but I was in Poundland the other day buying roast beef & mustard Brannigans and they had a litre spray of a Muc-Off clone for a quid... but I still didn't bite.

Top Bottom