• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Teggy

Having a little too much fun shopping Amazon for new bike accessories. OK maybe a pressure gauge, tire levers and CO2 tubes aren't that exciting.

Apparently you don't mix CO2 and tubless sealant? If that's the case I need to find a new/better hand pump. The lezyne I have came with a shit adapter. I should just order one of their new ones.

the Aliante had been working great for me up until recently. after several hours, the seat does become slightly unbearable where as before i had literally no issues. i am slightly more flexible now and i think maybe a year or two more i'll be able to touch my toes, something i haven't been able to do since a car accident herniated a disc or two which significantly tightened my hamstrings.

my LBS did let me try out the Toupe last year for a few weeks and it honestly at the time didn't feel any different than my Aliante but I've been considering giving it another go now that i'm more flexible. it's either that or the Antares.

This is good to know. I can touch my toes now when doing a bend over stretch, but I don't know if I want the Arione. The Antares still has a small bump in the back.

I did 2-3 hours yesterday on it and felt pretty good, but the moment I try to get low in the drops it's pretty rough. I ride on an R7, but also have an R3 which is slightly different. I still think I'd do better on an Arione or Antares because I like to move a lot pending riding position.

You can, but you have to put it in very slowly, and ideally have the valve at the top (which puts all the sealant in the bottom). Otherwise you basically thermal shock the sealant into hardening.

Mascot

Wireless dropper post

Good idea, I guess. Bit chunky at the moment though. If they could build the gubbins into the post to make it more sleek...

2700932.jpg

Wiggle info

Sure, but they're old and crap and should have already been consigned to the dustbin. :p

Probably use 26" wheels too... and I mean, who can ride with those things?

About to start up my second season of riding! I'm going to get some chain grease and an air pump. Anything else I need for basic upkeep between tune-ups?

I went for about a 1 mile ride yesterday and my legs are hurting today. That feeling of starting all over again...

Not really. It's only the cleaning products (you can pretty much get away with water and elbow grease) and the chain lube that you need.

Maybe a chain degreaser if it gets particularly gunked up, though I tend to use wax based lubes now to avoid that.

I went on a 45 mile ride the other day and my body just hit a wall in fatigue. I don't know what happened, if it was a calorie deficit or what, but man did i feel light headed and weak. The next next day i did the same ride at a even faster pace and felt great. Its scary when things like that happen, but it must have just been a fluke i guess.

I went on a 45 mile ride the other day and my body just hit a wall in fatigue. I don't know what happened, if it was a calorie deficit or what, but man did i feel light headed and weak. The next next day i did the same ride at a even faster pace and felt great. Its scary when things like that happen, but it must have just been a fluke i guess.

You had a calorie deficit for sure

Almost zero chance of that happening (burning through your glycogen stores) in 45 mins. Unless you were doing sprint intervals for the entire time anyway.

I rode about 45 miles (which is my usual route) at no less than a 20mph pace. That night i went and got some cliff bars to keep on my bike just incase anything unusual ever comes up like that. Scary stuff.

I saw mins, not miles. I can't read. lol

haha its all right. Keep nutrition on you people! Even if its just once in a blue moon that you actually use it, id rather be safe than sorry. Im not big on sports drinks as they give me cramps. Ive tried First Endurance powder and the Gatorade ones but the sugar cramps me up so i just use water, and now keep one or two cliff bars in my seat bag just in case.

Mascot

Thought I had a buckled wheel, turns out I had a buckled tyre. Like a big-ass 1" wide bulge, 150mm long, doing an A1 impression of a buckle. Deflated, changed tube, reinflated... still bulging. Never had that before. Conti MK2 strikes again after my sidewall fail last year. Love the ride and grip on these things but the QC leaves a little to be desired.

Bananas are the best. Gels can work too, if you can find one that agrees with you.

I got 16 free SIS gels from the recent promo, so will make sure I've always got one or two in my Camelbak. I don't tend to ride more than 40 miles/three hours anyway.

Once you've bonked it's too late to do anything meaningful about it, unless you plan on stopping for half an hour anyway.

...and gels are just fine unless you start doing 8hr+ rides (and even then, you can make do on them). Hell, the RAAM guys pretty much just survive on those and energy drink because a lot of them suffer intestinal distress when they try to get in proper food.

On the really long stuff I love my feed zone portables, but I don't know if I'd be able to eat them if I was racing. Clif bars and shot bloks are just about all I can manage on the fast rides. Maybe a handful of tangfastics and chocolate covered coffee beans too.

HTupolev

Gels should be reserved for "oh shit, I bonked" moments
Why? The main point of gels is to keep your digestive system from having to put in effort and hold onto any matter, useful during physical exertion.

If you're bonked, you're incapable of hard exertion anyway until you get un-bonked (and, preferably, properly rested in addition). Might as well just eat some food. Any performance aspect of your overall ride is done for anyway.

I should have prefaced with, do what works for your stomach but they can be huge gut rot problems because of they're essentially straight sugar.

I say bonked because if you're in that zone of bonked the quick processing of a gel or chews can help you climb out of quicker than resting + solid food.

Most people process that far easier than anything else, as long as they get enough water with it. If you're struggling with stomach issues I'd suggest trying a different brand, or something a bit more chewable like shot bloks or GU chews.

teepo

i simply can't eat solids after three or more hours on the bike. the most i can have is a protein shake immediately after and it'll take at least an hour before i can eat proper food without having to fight the urge to regurgitate with every bite.

and ya'll need to get on that gel life. also that sports drink, chews and sodium capsule life as well, especially if you're riding for 90 minutes or more, regardless of the intensity.

Most people process that far easier than anything else, as long as they get enough water with it. If you're struggling with stomach issues I'd suggest trying a different brand, or something a bit more chewable like shot bloks or GU chews.

clif shot bloks are the GOAT

Yup, delicious.

On the solids thing, you can definitely train your body to handle it. Much harder if you're mountain biking though as you get shaken around far more.

Teggy

Well, I signed up for my century today, September 11. I decided to do one closer by, so while it may be more difficult, it only requires me to drive about 15-20 minutes vs. 1.5 hours to make an 8am start deadline.

It's real now, I have to do it, because otherwise I will lose...$25.

Teggy

You'll be fine. Tons of time between now and then to get some good long rides in.

Yeah, I am itching to start getting out, even on my old bike since my new one is still on order, but I am taking care of my sister-in-law's kind of crazy dog this week. I'm definitely going to the gym, but I am trying to limit how much time he is unsupervised. I mapped out 10 and 20 mile routes on ridewithgps and I'm eager to see what they are like.

Nice. I sometimes use a tool in the UK that can find me round trips avoiding the worst traffic etc. I do tend to make my longer offroad rides by hand in GPSies and the like though.

rykomatsu

Did a bike refit ahead of my triathlon this weekend. It made a huge difference. Before, I could only stay in aero for about 30-50% of the time because of lower back soreness, fatigue, saddle pain in a 20k bike segment.

I managed to stay in aero about 80%+ of a 40k bike segment with the other 20% for eating, mild climbs, and being wary of traffic.

I spent $100 on cleat repositioning, saddle adjustment, aero bar repositioning, etc. Didn't realize that cycling could be this pain free...best damn $100 I've spent on cycling.

Teggy

So which is better, short sleeves and shorts + arm/leg warmers or long pants/sleeves? The former seems more flexible but also might be a big pain.

skip

So which is better, short sleeves and shorts + arm/leg warmers or long pants/sleeves? The former seems more flexible but also might be a big pain.

If the temp is borderline, I just carry my rolled up arm/leg warmers in my jersey/jacket pockets, not much of pain at all.

This is what I do for different temps:
45 or lower: long sleeve wool base, wool leg warmers, wool oversocks, castelli espresso jacket, winter specific cycling hat. I'll wear pants over the bibs + leg warmers if it's cold enough

45-55: Sleeveless wool base, wool arm warmers, wool leg warmers and a wind jacket. Also a cycling specific hat. Stuff will get stripped off if the temperature spikes enough

50-60: Same as above but a wind vest instead of a jacket and no leg warmers

65+: bibs + jersey, no gloves

Teggy

LMAO, you'd literally never cycle in the UK.

44-55 is my normal short sleeve top and shorts weather.

Heh, yeah, cycling has always been a summertime activity for me. Now that I'm a bit more invested, we'll see. But once it starts snowing, that thing is definitely staying inside.

Dirt trails in the winter can be super fun and fast though!

Seriously though, I'm typically inside through the winters once the road salt hits. Not worth dealing with cleaning my bike every ride.

I'll cycle in anything above -2c in shorts (over tights) and a t-shirt and a jumper. No probs. That's just below 30, fahrenheit fans.

New bike! ohmygosh it's so pretty. The photo does not do it justice but it's so shiny!

EqiJFhS.jpg

This being my first ever road bike, I rode it home from the shop and it was such an odd experience. I was under the impression that for the most part a bike's a bike's a bike, but it was so different than the bike I was used to. I felt like it was the first time I'd ever been on a bike or something! So nice once I got going though, even though hand position is gonna take some getting used to. The brakes aren't really the best and I couldn't find a comfortable position in which I could pull them with enough force to make me stop when I wanted to stop, haha. But yes, I can tell that I'm going to love this thing once I get used to it.

For comparison, this is the fold-up hybrid-like thing that I've been riding for the last three or four years.

N2Qp4qZ.jpg

It's a really nice bike, but is basically falling apart. The difference in feel is insane between the two though.

I now live in a studio flat with two bicycles.

Congrats. May i recommend that the first upgrade you buy is clipless pedals. Its the first thing i recommend to anyone who buys a bike, as its the most noticeable upgrade. That is of course unless your a city commuter that needs normal shoes.

Can't say I agree on that one. I've done tens of thousands of miles on flats with no worries, and I still manage to be pretty much the quickest person in any group up the climbs.

If you like having your feet snapped to your pedals... cool. If you don't... cool. But it's really not an "upgrade". The differences in efficiency are next to nothing (I spent years convinced clipless was the only choice, and then I actually tried both, one ride on, one ride off for about six months).

Edit - Oh, and that's a sexy blue bike, no doubt. I'd definitely lose the cages though... clipless or not.

Edit 2 - This is where Mascot and I fight.

kottila

I'll cycle in anything above -2c in shorts (over tights) and a t-shirt and a jumper. No probs. That's just below 30, fahrenheit fans.

New bike! ohmygosh it's so pretty. The photo does not do it justice but it's so shiny!

EqiJFhS.jpg

This being my first ever road bike, I rode it home from the shop and it was such an odd experience. I was under the impression that for the most part a bike's a bike's a bike, but it was so different than the bike I was used to. I felt like it was the first time I'd ever been on a bike or something! So nice once I got going though, even though hand position is gonna take some getting used to. The brakes aren't really the best and I couldn't find a comfortable position in which I could pull them with enough force to make me stop when I wanted to stop, haha. But yes, I can tell that I'm going to love this thing once I get used to it.

For comparison, this is the fold-up hybrid-like thing that I've been riding for the last three or four years.

N2Qp4qZ.jpg

It's a really nice bike, but is basically falling apart. The difference in feel is insane between the two though.

I now live in a studio flat with two bicycles.

If you're hands are too small too get a good grip on the brakes, on some models you can adjust the handles to move them closer to you.

Top Bottom