• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hhmm I'll take the wheel reflectors off, probably will get some new pedals. I have bike shorts but nothing to fix flats. My lbs is close to the trail I ride so at most a 5-10 mile walk.

My man! Fixing flats is for suckers. Uber is my road team.

This is kind of related, but do any of you dedicated roadies ever think about taking up mountain biking? A lot of my MTB friends have subsequently bought road bikes (with maybe half of them regretting it as the bikes simply don't get used) but I rarely hear of a shift in the other direction. Personally I've never really seen the attraction of road cycling (please don't be offended :p) but then again I've always lived close to good off-road trails. Apart from the fear of dicing with traffic on a road bike, road biking just seems a bit ... boring to me (seriously, please - do not be offended) compared to the variety, excitement and technical challenge of mountain biking. And to be honest, I'd much rather be in the middle of the trees, trails and rockery rather than looking at it over a hedge, and I'd much rather share my space with squirrels and birds than vans and trucks.

Do any of you roadies live in good MTB territory but have simply never been tempted? Or is road biking simply the most appropriate option for you because of where you live?

Edit: Christ, I hope this doesn't come across as inflammatory. BikeGAF is probably 80/20 road/mtb so I hope nobody gets offended as that is not the intention.
I live an hour or so from Mt. Hood, but I've never been. I have a mountain bike but it's not used very often as there just aren't any easy-to-reach areas.

Though I do take it with me when I go camping. I mean, what's the point otherwise?

Speaking on the "planned rides": https://goo.gl/maps/fLXR1AssYZP2

That's going to be me in a few weeks. It's not 100% but it's basically what I'm going to do barring some catastrophic failure of a bridge, in which case I'll have to divert and take some ferries.

This... this is how you cycle.

OMYZDXZ.gif

(though maybe don't plan on going far)

kottila

This is kind of related, but do any of you dedicated roadies ever think about taking up mountain biking? A lot of my MTB friends have subsequently bought road bikes (with maybe half of them regretting it as the bikes simply don't get used) but I rarely hear of a shift in the other direction. Personally I've never really seen the attraction of road cycling (please don't be offended :p) but then again I've always lived close to good off-road trails. Apart from the fear of dicing with traffic on a road bike, road biking just seems a bit ... boring to me (seriously, please - do not be offended) compared to the variety, excitement and technical challenge of mountain biking. And to be honest, I'd much rather be in the middle of the trees, trails and rockery rather than looking at it over a hedge, and I'd much rather share my space with squirrels and birds than vans and trucks.

Do any of you roadies live in good MTB territory but have simply never been tempted? Or is road biking simply the most appropriate option for you because of where you live?

Edit: Christ, I hope this doesn't come across as inflammatory. BikeGAF is probably 80/20 road/mtb so I hope nobody gets offended as that is not the intention.

I try to run offroad and ride on the road. It's much better to just walk out the door and start riding, than spend half my time in the shop washing, bleeding and airing stuff and the other half discussing online which tyres to use for different trails/weather conditions. my city is short on forest and full of mountains, so I'd probably crash horribly and slowly starve to death stuck in a bush).

Mascot

Same shoes from 1995, actually.

Seriously though, it's as easy as you make it. Same tyres all year round, basic maintenance, grab the Camelbak from the beer fridge (refill the bladder after each ride and put the whole thing, tools 'n' all, in the fridge) slap the helmet on, activate Strava, select a podcast and go.

Mascot

Charge 10 LR. Done. (it's got a higher litre capacity than you said, but you don't have to fill it)

That or one of their bumbags... but you're far too manly for that.

I'm thinking the Camelbak Rogue might be more suitable for my use, if the mini-pump can fit inside.

Edit: yep, ordered the Rogue. Seems perfect for my needs.

Mascot

Couldn't deal with having the water anywhere but on my hips now. It's what I used to notice most with my old bags.

Yeah, I like the idea of that but tbh a 'normal' bladder has never bothered me before. The Rogue looks ideal for me I think, both size-wise and storagey.

Yeah, looks like a good little bag.

I think I'd really like to get my pump back on my bike if I can. Didn't like it there much though as it rattled like crazy.

Mascot

Yeah, looks like a good little bag.

I think I'd really like to get my pump back on my bike if I can. Didn't like it there much though as it rattled like crazy.

One of the reasons for the new Camelbak is that there's no sensible place to mount a bottle or a pump (edit: on my new bike), so I might as well lose the saddle bag as well and put everything including tubes and tools in a backpack.

RS4-

Hi Bike GAF!

Looking around for one, probably just for the roads/sidewalk (lol), figured I'd take that back up instead of running again.

Found a trek 6000 for $150 USD, apparently all it needs is a new tube. The ad has everything but the frame size listed, but it if suits me at 5'11, think I should get it? Yeah, MTB and all.

Avalanche 2.0 for about $135.

I'm probably going second hand route, so what are my options? Say about 300-350 USD. Sadly, the Allez here, even if I wanted one, is 600+ lol

edit - also found a 7300/ and 7.3fx as well.

HTupolev

Found a trek 6000 for $150 USD, apparently all it needs is a new tube. The ad has everything but the frame size listed, but it if suits me at 5'11, think I should get it? Yeah, MTB and all.
Without knowing more than "Trek 6000" it's hard to say much. If it's a 2010 6000 in great condition with a flat tire, $150 is potentially an amazing deal. If it's a beat-up 90's 6000 that's been ridden thousands on miles on low spoke tension and the bearings are making grinding noise, it's probably not an amazing deal.

Although I'm confused as to why you're looking at hardtails if you're planning to just ride pavement. Used road bikes are a thing.

Well, I'm in freezing cold mid Wales and getting ready for spending the next three days going 200 miles of mountain biking and wild bivying.

Gonna freeze to death.

Laekon

I'm thinking the Camelbak Rogue might be more suitable for my use, if the mini-pump can fit inside.

Edit: yep, ordered the Rogue. Seems perfect for my needs.

It has to be a tiny pump to fit in the pockets of a Rogue. I have an older Rogue but they haven't really changed. A pump would fit behind the bottom pocket but if you don't secure it well it could fly out. It's a perfect 2-3 hr pack for me but I use CO2.

Mascot

Well, I'm in freezing cold mid Wales and getting ready for spending the next three days going 200 miles of mountain biking and wild bivying.

Gonna freeze to death.

I did 24 muddy miles after work this evening and it took me an hour to get warm when I got home. It didn't even feel that cold when I was out. It was a beautiful evening, though.

20160429_185801_zpswgjjre2y.jpg

It has to be a tiny pump to fit in the pockets of a Rogue. I have an older Rogue but they haven't really changed. A pump would fit behind the bottom pocket but if you don't secure it well it could fly out. It's a perfect 2-3 hr pack for me but I use CO2.

My pump fits in with the bladder on my Camelbak Classic but there's not space for spare tubes etc.

HTupolev

I did 24 muddy miles after work this evening and it took me an hour to get warm when I got home. It didn't even feel that cold when I was out.
That's how moderately chilly weather seems to go. You feel fine when you're out and about, and then you realize that you're cold when you step indoors.

Mascot

That's how moderately chilly weather seems to go. You feel fine when you're out and about, and then you realize that you're cold when you step indoors.

I think the woods were a good 5 degrees C warmer than the coast, with not a breath of wind either. I bombed back home along the coastal path and a chill wind was blowing off the channel. I think that's probably where my blood froze..!

HTupolev

Fancy. Will you actually be riding it on a track?
The underlying bicycle is a Fuji Feather, which is supposedly a street fixie according to Fuji, but the geometry and stock gearing is track material. If I threw the brakes back on I'd be willing to ride it on the road, but if I really wanted a fixie for that purpose I'd probably start with a totally different bike.

This contraption is for the velodrome.

Stinkles

As a hybrid bike, which would you recommend out of:

Spezialiced Sirius Elite Disc
Trek 7.4 Allant
Trek Zektor 2
Whyte Stirling

New or used? I thought the Zektor was discontinued a while back. Assuming you like the frames and components equally well, and they all fit your physique (I had my Gary Fisher - now owned by Trek - customized a bit with a riser to get the perfect seating and arm position) I would go Trek myself, but I have never ridden a Whyte - and honestly that Whyte Stirling looks fantastic. Just a gorgeous bike.

Rimshot

New or used? I thought the Zektor was discontinued a while back. Assuming you like the frames and components equally well, and they all fit your physique (I had my Gary Fisher - now owned by Trek - customized a bit with a riser to get the perfect seating and arm position) I would go Trek myself, but I have never ridden a Whyte - and honestly that Whyte Stirling looks fantastic. Just a gorgeous bike.

New. The Zektor still seems to be in production as the store had the 2016 line in. But there was a special deal on the Zektor 3 so thinking of going with that. But just as you said the Whyte is just gorgeous so still thinking about that one. Does the Zektor 3 have better equipment though? I am very new to this so don't know.

Stinkles

New. The Zektor still seems to be in production as the store had the 2016 line in. But there was a special deal on the Zektor 3 so thinking of going with that. But just as you said the Whyte is just gorgeous so still thinking about that one. Does the Zektor 3 have better equipment though? I am very new to this so don't know.

Looks like the Zektor 3 is a Euro only config? Anyway looking at the configs - if you live in a flat city and don't plan anything more than a dozen miles, I'd get the Zektor, but if you want a more flexible bike that will feel similar but be more adaptable, the 7.4 for sure. I did centuries and the AIDs ride (80-100 miles a day for a week) on my old Trek 7500 fx (similar geo and components) and was actually much more comfortable than the road bikers at the end of each day, albeit slower. I also got up to 45mph on a downhill stretch outside Half Moon Bay (before getting scared my rims would overheat and burst, pre-disc brakes) , and averaged about 18-19mph on flats at a steady, manageable pace.

The Whyte has great equipment. I just haven't ridden one so I can't properly judge.

Rimshot

Looks like the Zektor 3 is a Euro only config? Anyway looking at the configs - if you live in a flat city and don't plan anything more than a dozen miles, I'd get the Zektor, but if you want a more flexible bike that will feel similar but be more adaptable, the 7.4 for sure. I did centuries and the AIDs ride (80-100 miles a day for a week) on my old Trek 7500 fx (similar geo and components) and was actually much more comfortable than the road bikers at the end of each day, albeit slower. I also got up to 45mph on a downhill stretch outside Half Moon Bay (before getting scared my rims would overheat and burst, pre-disc brakes) , and averaged about 18-19mph on flats at a steady, manageable pace.

The Whyte has great equipment. I just haven't ridden one so I can't properly judge.

Do you think the Whyte has 500 USD of better equipment? xD Because that is the price difference ;_; Thanks for your input btw, it helps a lot since it is more knowledge than I have myself on the subject :)

trebbble

Any enthusiast mountain bikers in here? :)

I'm thinking of getting a new bike soon, but am willing to wait until next season for the right bike. It's not an immediate need, but for the right deal I'm willing to drop some cash this season.

I tend to buy once every 5-7 years or so, and get a bike that's built to last. I'm going back and forth between a full custom build, or getting a decent manufacturer build and upgrading parts over the first year or two of ownership.

I'm coming off a 2009 Yeti 575 and a 2011 Santa Cruz Chameleon. I may or may not keep the Yeti (heavily leaning towards keeping it as a second/bike for friends, etc). I'm definitely keeping the Chameleon. Both are 26ers and while I love the wheel size as a long time rider, the industry has moved on, so I'm keen to try a 27.5. I'm not sold on 29ers, the ones I rode about 3-4 years ago had wheelbases that seemed too long for our trails, but I understand the trend is towards shorter chain stays, so I'm open to hearing about them as well.

I live in the Toronto area, so I'm often riding steep escarpment trails that are fairly tight, rocky, rooty, and technically challenging. I also take a few trips out for destination riding per year.

The main bikes I'm considering are the Santa Cruz Bronson, the Santa Cruz 5010 and the Yeti SB5. I'm intrigued by the Santa Cruz Hightower, but I'm not sure that it's the best for my fairly aggressive but tight and twisty trails, or that I'd really get the best use of the 29/27.5+

I'd say I'm leaning towards the Bronson, with the SB5 as my second choice. Yeti's current offerings are extremely expensive up in here in Canada, so while I'd love to get another, I'm not sure they're at the top of my list any more. A few local shops have dropped them as well. The SB5 is looking due for a refresh as well.

I've also looked at the Ibis Mojo and Ripley, as well as the Pivot 429, but I'm leaning towards Santa Cruz or Yeti based on my previous experiences. That said, are there any others that I should consider? As much as I would love to look at something like the Nomad it's likely too much bike; a 6" travel bike can handle 99% of what I would be riding on a regular basis.

I'll be throwing a leg over a few of these bikes in the coming weeks to help make up my own mind, but any thoughts on those I've mentioned or any I've missed would be much appreciated!

Laekon

Long Post

There are to many good bikes out there to consider right now so if you like the Bronson go for it. Don't get stuck in the search for a perfect bike loop. I don't think the SB5C is likely to be updated for awhile. It's geometry is still pretty current and there is the Enduro model if you are looking to save money.

Even though chain stays are getting shorter wheelbases are getting longer. Wheel size also isn't a good indication of wheelbase any more. So Bronson vs 429 Trail, Bronson stays are shorter by close to 1/2" but wheelbase is longer by 1-1/2".

I've recently ridden the Cannondale Habbit, Pivot Mach 4 & 429 Trail, Giant Trance, and Intense Spider 275 off road for 3 hours or more. The Spider(really close to the 5010) and 429 Trail where my favorites.

Mascot

*snip*

All good bikes. You have exquisite (and expensive) taste. :p

You seem to have already decided that a 29er might be a mistake, and from the description of your typical terrain, I'd have to agree. A couple of friends bought 29ers during the boom and have felt compromised whenever trails get tight ever since. Both now have buyer's remorse. I think of 29ers like I think of 3D TVs: a fabricated desire by marketers to boost sales of new units. 650b generally makes a lot more sense and the market will probably settle on this standard. If I was buying new, 650b would be the obvious choice, but I just bought a pre-loved (and barely-used) 26er in a deal that was too good to pass up, and it's fantastic. I was about to spend £2k+ on a new 2015 £4k bike and ended up spending around 1/5th of that. I lost that fuzzy 'brand new bike' feel but can also thrash it right out of the gate without worrying about that first scratch. Anyway, it's new to me... :)

Teggy

Got out for an initial 10 mile ride on the new bike this morning. Went well except I might want to invest in some full finger gloves if I'm going to make 7am rides a habit (I had to be showered and somewhere by 10).

The one unpleasant surprise I had was that the easiest gear on my 22 speed road bike appears to be a lot harder than the easiest gear on my 21 speed hybrid. I have a very steep hill leading up to my driveway and while on my hybrid I can just shift down and slowly make my way up the hill at normal effort. On the road bike I had to put in extra effort.

Welp, finally sucked it up and scheduled a PT appointment. This back and hip pain is just lingering too long at this point. Hopefully I can keep riding while it's worked through but if not, so be it.

Still thinking about swapping out my seat for something a little better though. The angled backing of my Alliante can sometimes feel like it's pushing me too far forward. Perhaps it can be solved by just sliding it back more. Hmmm

Laekon

You seem to have already decided that a 29er might be a mistake, and from the description of your typical terrain, I'd have to agree. A couple of friends bought 29ers during the boom and have felt compromised whenever trails get tight ever since. Both now have buyer's remorse. I think of 29ers like I think of 3D TVs: a fabricated desire by marketers to boost sales of new units. 650b generally makes a lot more sense and the market will probably settle on this standard.

While I totally agree with this in regards to 29'ers made 3+ years ago most of the bikes released in the last year or so are much better. The newer geometry trends allow you to get 29" bikes that handle really well and take advantage of the tire size. You no longer have super steep head tube angles to make up for long chain stays and big rig wheelbases. I think having the choice based on local terrain, riding style, and rider height is a great thing.

trebbble

There are to many good bikes out there to consider right now so if you like the Bronson go for it. Don't get stuck in the search for a perfect bike loop. I don't think the SB5C is likely to be updated for awhile. It's geometry is still pretty current and there is the Enduro model if you are looking to save money.

Even though chain stays are getting shorter wheelbases are getting longer. Wheel size also isn't a good indication of wheelbase any more. So Bronson vs 429 Trail, Bronson stays are shorter by close to 1/2" but wheelbase is longer by 1-1/2".

I've recently ridden the Cannondale Habbit, Pivot Mach 4 & 429 Trail, Giant Trance, and Intense Spider 275 off road for 3 hours or more. The Spider(really close to the 5010) and 429 Trail where my favorites.

Thanks Laekon. I appreciate the feedback on the other bikes, I'll see if I can demo any of them. Also, thanks for the heads up on the enduro build on the SB5. That's what I originally got on my 575, and hoped they would do something similar, but had missed it until you mentioned it. Called a couple of local shops and looks like they can get it in for around the price of the Santa Cruz lineup.

As for a SB5 refresh, I mean that I expect a slight update to be consistent with the design language in their newer frames (internal routing, etc). No doubt the geometry is solid!

Appreciate the knowledge around the wheelbase and geometry differences on modern 29ers as well... I'll keep a bit closer eye on them. I have been seeing more fat bikes and plus bikes on the local trails around here, so a bike like the Hightower or Pivot 429 might do a bit better than I thought.

There are a couple of demo days within a couple of hours drive over the next month or so, and I'm planning on trying as many of these bikes as I can on local trails before purchasing. The event next week should have Pivot, Santa Cruz and Yeti there, among others.

You seem to have already decided that a 29er might be a mistake, and from the description of your typical terrain, I'd have to agree. A couple of friends bought 29ers during the boom and have felt compromised whenever trails get tight ever since. Both now have buyer's remorse. I think of 29ers like I think of 3D TVs: a fabricated desire by marketers to boost sales of new units. 650b generally makes a lot more sense and the market will probably settle on this standard.)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Mascot. Glad you found a great deal on a 26er. I'd love to keep mine, but am finding it tougher to find replacement parts for reasonable prices, which is what is pushing me into something new... yours is new so you shouldn't have the same problems :) I think you'll get tons of enjoyment out of it, I plan to keep riding mine as long as I can!

Stinkles

Do you think the Whyte has 500 USD of better equipment? xD Because that is the price difference ;_; Thanks for your input btw, it helps a lot since it is more knowledge than I have myself on the subject :)

Maybe $500 in retail value but certainly not in performance. I don't think it's overpriced but it is spendy. The rival components are all excellent.

Teggy

So I looked up the specs on my bikes and while my road bike has a 50/34t crankset, my old hybrid has a "touring" triple with the smallest being 25t. So that's a big difference to get used to.

HTupolev

The one unpleasant surprise I had was that the easiest gear on my 22 speed road bike appears to be a lot harder than the easiest gear on my 21 speed hybrid. I have a very steep hill leading up to my driveway and while on my hybrid I can just shift down and slowly make my way up the hill at normal effort. On the road bike I had to put in extra effort.
That's pretty typical. Most hybrids are made to be relaxed versatile all-rounders, and they almost always have extremely low granny gears. By contrast, most "road bikes" are styled as racers, with the assumption that you're going to attack the hills.

With a 28-inch gear, you already have a very low granny as far as stock builds go. If you're desperate, and you don't feel like you need the high gears, you could look into something like aftermarket 46-30 cranks.

The good news is that with 11-speed cassettes and road derailleurs that can pick up a decent amount of chain wrap, manufacturers can offer compact cranks with decently wide-range cassettes, and it just works. My '83 Miyata 710 has 52-42 cranks, and the largest cog in back is a 28. That gives me around a 39-inch gear. And that was considered fairly relaxed gearing for the day; the real racing bikes had the same 52-42 cranks but the freewheels bottomed out at a 21 or thereabouts.

Shimano you da Man-o
:D

Top Bottom