• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Rimshot

I was thinking of getting a Hybrid bike first, and posted here about a couple of different alternatives I was thinking of. But now I am thinking maybe it's a better buy to get a Cyclocross for the money. What do you guys think?

Rimshot

a cyclocross bike is a wise choice.

According to people online it is supposed to be more of a "hybrid" than the regular hybdrids, that is capable of more. The reason I'm not completely sure is the road sitting position when using it mostly in town for commuting.

I also thought all CX bikes had two sets of brakes (in the middle of the handles as well), but I have not seen any bike come this way when looking at them online ( at least not in my price range I guess). Is it hard to add such brakes if the standard brakes are hydraulic disc brakes?

Update: Ended up ordering this bike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzmXfLweFIU

t-ramp

According to people online it is supposed to be more of a "hybrid" than the regular hybdrids, that is capable of more. The reason I'm not completely sure is the road sitting position when using it mostly in town for commuting.

I also thought all CX bikes had two sets of brakes (in the middle of the handles as well), but I have not seen any bike come this way when looking at them online ( at least not in my price range I guess). Is it hard to add such brakes if the standard brakes are hydraulic disc brakes?

Update: Ended up ordering this bike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzmXfLweFIU
FWIW, I almost never have my hands on the top of the bars on my road bike. It feels much less controlled than other positions, and I've never wished for brakes there.

Rimshot

FWIW, I almost never have my hands on the top of the bars on my road bike. It feels much less controlled than other positions, and I've never wished for brakes there.

I'm not used to road bikes though, never used them, so I was hoping for being able to switch as I felt comfortable between the two styles to ensure I felt safe all the time :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
a cyclocross bike is a wise choice.

For me it's the worst of both worlds- the uncomfortable and unstable riding position of a road bike and the heavy tire drag of an mtb without the ability to properly use your body. But I have a really severe negative reaction to road bike position and geometry.

Stinkles

If you are new to biking then your arse will hurt until you battle-harden it over several rides. It's bruising, nothing more. I get the same if I've been off the bike for a few months. A different saddle won't necessarily help.

Haha yes it will. Get a medium sized male serfas gel seat..No need for a racing seat unless you plan on racing.

Laekon

I'm not used to road bikes though, never used them, so I was hoping for being able to switch as I felt comfortable between the two styles to ensure I felt safe all the time :)
The 2nd set of brake levers only work with cables not hydraulic lines.

I've never heard of that brand before.

Rimshot

For me it's the worst of both worlds- the uncomfortable and unstable riding position of a road bike and the heavy tire drag of an mtb without the ability to properly use your body. But I have a really severe negative reaction to road bike position and geometry.

I really hope I won't feel like that :x As I said never tried a road bike before so might regret not going for the hybrid.

The 2nd set of brake levers only work with cables not hydraulic lines.

I've never heard of that brand before.

Oh so I limited myself by opting for the model with the more expensive breaks? :x

Stinkles

I really hope I won't feel like that :x As I said never tried a road bike before so might regret not going for the hybrid.

Oh so I limited myself by opting for the model with the more expensive breaks? :x

You HAVE to test ride some bikes man, not only is it subjective as hell, your arm atm and torso and leg proportions will have an impact on what makes sense.

Rimshot

You HAVE to test ride some bikes man, not only is it subjective as hell, your arm atm and torso and leg proportions will have an impact on what makes sense.

Yeah.. I just got stuck in specs on paper and what I could get for the money. Shouldn't have had that approach. Will se how much or little I faltered when it does show up and I manage to assemble it.

First tubeless ride with the full susser, with a brand new High Roller II as front tyre. The grip was simply nuts, I ended up feeling so adventurous I almost scared myself.

trebbble

The only way for the Yeti to be 2-3lbs lighter is from the build kit. The SC CC frames should be really close in weight. The 429 is a heavier frame, no question there.

The Bronson is really close to the 5010 so something must have been up with the suspension or tire pressure set up to feel so different.

I like the 429 for the trails around me in So Cal. Fast fire road type trails with rough rocky sections and tight switch backs all with loose over hardback dirt.

The Intense Spider 275C is a great bike to try if you can find one.

I was surprised by the difference with the Bronson too, and am willing to chalk some of it up to a setup quirk, even though we set the suspension to the same relative settings as the 5010.

I was surprised by the weight differences too. My budget is ~$5k USD ($6.5K CAD), so I'm comparing the SB5c enduro build you recommended to the Bronson C-S and 5010 C-S which are the comparably priced Santa Cruz equivalents. Even by posted weights on the manufacturer website, the Yeti comes in at around 2.5 lbs lighter which I found quite surprising and noticeable on the climbs.

The Spyder looks super sweet, but I'm not a big fan of the local shop that carries their bikes. They never seem to have them in stock either :(

First tubeless ride with the full susser, with a brand new High Roller II as front tyre. The grip was simply nuts, I ended up feeling so adventurous I almost scared myself.

Once I went tubeless, I never went back. It makes such a huge difference in grip and rolling speed. They're much more reliable too. One time early on slashed my sidewall on sharp rock, which resulted in a loss of some air before sealing. I put in a bit of spare goop, gave it some air on the side of the trail, and ended up riding the tire until the tread wore down :)

Mascot

Haha yes it will. Get a medium sized male serfas gel seat..No need for a racing seat unless you plan on racing.

Haha? What's so funny? The saddle isn't necessarily the problem. I don't know how you can say otherwise with absolute conviction. Have you inspected said saddle and said arse sitting on it?

Stinkles

Haha? What's so funny? The saddle isn't necessarily the problem. I don't know how you can say otherwise with absolute conviction. Have you inspected said saddle and said arse sitting on it?

Of course I can't say it with absolute conviction, since elements of it are unknown and elements of it will be subjective. But three things are objectively true in this scenario:

1. He's an absolute beginner cyclist.
2. Racing seats are designed for lightness and speed. And (most) OEM seats are cheap and effectively disposable.
3. A well designed gel saddle for a casual rider has no negative impact and is 99% more likely to be comfortable than the two situations in #2.

You concede at least there's a good chance he'll be (the absolute beginner cyclist) more comfy in the long run than with a 2oz carbon razor, or a Chinese lowest bidder OEM?

You're of course 100% correct that he'll eventually get used to the pain, callous/bruise through and be OK. But he doesn't have to do that.

You can buy a cross bike and just not ride with cross tires. Put on something for gravel and you're fine.

We need to see the seat though. OP saying "are those flat seats" better is making me wonder if he has a more comfort style seat which can be a problem in the long run. However as you point out, a week is not nearly enough time to say that's the cause. Also he says bum but it could be the perineum too.

The only reason I don't rule out seats anymore is because I had been dealing with a nagging pain in my butt/back/sciatica with my Aliante. I borrowed a friends Brooks Cambium C17 and for the 10 miles home I felt NOTHING in that spot. The curved angle of the Aliante with the tapered sides was definitely contributing to some of the pain. He's letting me borrow it for a few more days so it's to early to say the C17 IS the seat, but I do know right now I need off the Aliante.

Rimshot

WHat are the accessories that are must buys for a new bike owner? :) I'm guessing a pump is one of them for example. Waterbottle holder, some tools, mudguards, etc?

Mascot

Rather than get sucked into a pointless internet squabble, here's a photo of some bluebells. It was fucking gorgeous in the woods today, and that I can say with absolute conviction.

20160508_125014_zpsaqlg7djg.jpg

Rimshot

Rather than get sucked into a pointless internet squabble, here's a photo of some bluebells. It was fucking gorgeous in the woods today, and that I can say with absolute conviction.]

I also like the bike in the background, even though I have no idea what it is it looks good :)

Rather than get sucked into a pointless internet squabble, here's a photo of some bluebells. It was fucking gorgeous in the woods today, and that I can say with absolute conviction.

I bet you do grocery runs in your Sky kit 😉

WHat are the accessories that are must buys for a new bike owner? :) I'm guessing a pump is one of them for example. Waterbottle holder, some tools, mudguards, etc?

Depends what you're doing. Saddle bag is good but so are some frame bags. CO2 is my preferred pump method but I also carry a hand pump. Tools are entirely up for debate (beyond tyre levers). People will say you need a multi tool but it really depends. On the road you probably don't and if someone says "yeah but a chain breaker!" Think long and hard about that. If you need to repair a chain shit may have gone bad already and you're likely a phone call from help. Now if you're on trails then a tool makes a lot more sense.

Teggy

What a terrible week to get a new bike. It rained pretty much every day. I was going to do a club ride this morning and it got cancelled due to rain. The upcoming week looks good, though.

Here's a rant:

Fuck front derailleurs. They're awkward and barely function even at their best. The moment there's dirt they need readjusting. And fuck the bike brand and the bike store. They neglect to put a barrel adjuster onto a cross bike's front derailleur, meaning that you'll have to retighten the cable manually. Which in turn means it frays really fast. Are they purposefully sabotaging their builds to make maintenance hard?

Tldr; I'm getting a narrow wide chainring tomorrow. Fuck gear range, I'd rather die climbing a hill than endlessly fix a rubbing chain.

edit: oh right, forgot to mention. There's an inline adjuster, but it doesn't do anything!

HTupolev

Here's a rant:

Fuck front derailleurs. They're awkward and barely function even at their best. The moment there's dirt they need readjusting. And fuck the bike brand and the bike store. They neglect to put a barrel adjuster onto a cross bike's front derailleur, meaning that you'll have to retighten the cable manually. Which in turn means it frays really fast. Are they purposefully sabotaging their builds to make maintenance hard?

Tldr; I'm getting a narrow wide chainring tomorrow. Fuck gear range, I'd rather die climbing a hill than endlessly fix a rubbing chain.
Is your setup sufficiently non-integrated that you could shove a friction shifter next to the grip and brake? They're stupidly easy to set up, indexing doesn't fail when it doesn't exist, and you wouldn't sacrifice your gearing.

Laekon

I was surprised by the difference with the Bronson too, and am willing to chalk some of it up to a setup quirk, even though we set the suspension to the same relative settings as the 5010.

I was surprised by the weight differences too. My budget is ~$5k USD ($6.5K CAD), so I'm comparing the SB5c enduro build you recommended to the Bronson C-S and 5010 C-S which are the comparably priced Santa Cruz equivalents. Even by posted weights on the manufacturer website, the Yeti comes in at around 2.5 lbs lighter which I found quite surprising and noticeable on the climbs.

The Spyder looks super sweet, but I'm not a big fan of the local shop that carries their bikes. They never seem to have them in stock either :(

The Yeti suspension system gets nothing but rave reviews. I've yet to ride one off road but have a friend that went from working at a bigger company to Yeti and just loves the bikes. Current employment situation keeps it out of the running for my net bike. I still don't see how it can be that much lighter but its even more of a reason to go with it. Santa Cruz bikes do seem to be getting heavier. The only issue I see with the Yeti, and it applies to the new the 5010, is the lower linkage seems to be the perfect design to hold as much mud as possible.

Is your setup sufficiently non-integrated that you could shove a friction shifter next to the grip and brake? They're stupidly easy to set up, indexing doesn't fail when it doesn't exist, and you wouldn't sacrifice your gearing.

100% single ring at this point. I'll have to redo the cabling in the rear too, there's some gunk inside that makes shifting act erratically. I don't know why this bike is so terrible when it comes to maintenance. Perhaps Shimano's road groupsets just can't handle dirt and mud?.

HTupolev

100% single ring at this point.
Are you going to try to fit a wider-range cassette to compensate?

I don't know why this bike is so terrible when it comes to maintenance. Perhaps Shimano's road groupsets just can't handle dirt and mud?.
In my experience Shimano road stuff tends to be pretty bulletproof in the face of a lot of fine gritty goop, but I've never seen how it deals with the big clumpy stuff that muddy trails can throw at you. What groupset?

It's an old Tiagra derailleur so I don't think it can handle more than 30t. What I'm thinking is a 38t chainring, so my lowest gear would go from 34/30 to 38/30.

Ideally I'd get a full Sram CX1 groupset but that's waaaaay too expensive.

edit: looks like people have had success with a 11-32 cassette, might try that.

No, at least two days off all exercise. Work time. :(

I will be hitting the trainer hard again next week though as I have an event at the end of the month.

Mascot

4 days of mountain biking on some of the best trails I've been on in some time...

...bliss.

Now back to reality. :(

I just got back from seventeen days cycling around the base of Mt Everest, including cycling to Nepal and back from the UK (and along the sea bed of all necessary oceans), up and down the mountain itself (towing a piano), and my rear mech failed 50 yards from my house so I did it all in the biggest gear with a flat tyre. And I forgot my saddle. Below I have provided exactly the same number of photos as you have.

Come on, people - more photos!

HTupolev

Come on, people - more photos!
Stuck a 30-mile bike shop A group ride in the middle of a century on Saturday. Ride was structured with a few regroups. I tried hanging with the leaders, but there were moments when that paceline was going 30mph on level ground; I definitely did not take any pulls with them, and I definitely also got dropped multiple times, heheh.

The weather was perfect. Warm enough by 6:30 that I was able to take off in shorts without arm warmers, but only reached the 70s later on.

Scenery wasn't grand, but pleasant. Lots of trees and foothills and Mt Pilchuck in the background.

GFOivNk.jpg

Mascot

Sold my hardtail last week because I'll never ride it while Black Beauty is just sitting there with her metaphorical tits out. Fuck N+1, it's a daft space-consuming concept. I can only ride one bike at a time.

So guess what? The buyer is being a dick. A polite dick, but a dick nevertheless. He's changed the collection date three times (so far) and failed to transfer the money despite assurances that he would. I'll give him until tomorrow (his latest promise) to pay and then I'll salvage some pride and cancel the transaction.

Fucking eBay fidiots.

Sold my hardtail last week because I'll never ride it while Black Beauty is just sitting there with her metaphorical tits out. Fuck N+1, it's a daft space-consuming concept. I can only ride one bike at a time.

Depends what you do really. I couldn't imagine knocking out 100+ miles on a relatively heavy full susser. Nor would I really want to attack some aggro black trail on a cross bike.

I could be persuaded to spend ridiculous money on an all conquering carbon fibre enduro bike though.

Any suggestions for a really cheap road bike?

Just moved to SF, and I'm not going to be riding around in my Specialized here since I have a feeling it's going to get stolen if I do so.

Psycho ever fix a rim dent? Noticed this yesterday and surprisingly I'm holding pressure. My LBS tends to be more on the crafty side of things and thinks it might be salvageable.

1fXJqnO.png

Yeah, I used heat plus pliers plus patience. It doesn't need to be perfect for it to hold the tyre just fine anyway.

Slightly bigger issue if you're running tubeless, obviously.

Mascot

Christ, it's rained pretty much non-stop for the past couple of days - the local trails will be swampy quagmires in places. It's a shame because they were drying out very nicely.

Stinkles

Any suggestions for a really cheap road bike?

Just moved to SF, and I'm not going to be riding around in my Specialized here since I have a feeling it's going to get stolen if I do so.

I had a chained rock hopper stolen from a fourth floor balcony in SF. Your bike is already dead.

Top Bottom