• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

magicstop

No problem :D It's hard not nab a bike quickly when you know you want one and you are ready to be riding. But homework always pays off.
Keep browsing and let us know what ideas you come up with!

magicstop

CAW said:
Found a Giant dealer here in my town. The guy said if I put an order in he could have this bike here as early as this week.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/roam/9785/49384/

The reviews seem pretty solid and so does the price.

edit: ordered! (don't hate me, Magic haha)

lol, no hate . . . You're on a bike, so that's awesome, period! And that bike is definitely a better compromise than the others you've been listing. Not a fan of the suspension, but I think you'll have a great time riding it! Take plenty of pics when it gets here!

brentech

Currently in San Francisco.

I actually live south of Cleveland, OH. I thought I'd jump in and say, while I ride all the time back home, I'm totally jealous of the biking culture here in SF. Makes me feel like bikes don't even exist at home.

RedSwirl

I need to go ahead and ask: does anyone here know specifically how much riding a bike does for your body?

More specifically I like to ride a fair distance, and the neighborhood where I ride is very hilly. The part of my body where I tend to feel the most strain is my thighs.

dojokun said:
After more searching for Google images of the movie and looking at still-shots of the trailer, I'm convinced that he ride a bike with a back brake and they editted out the brake for the movie.
Of course there is at least one brake on that bike. Gordon-Levitt is worth buko bucks, his agents and contracts would never let him ride without a brake.

dojokun

Banned
Quote said:
Of course there is at least one brake on that bike. Gordon-Levitt is worth buko bucks, his agents and contracts would never let him ride without a brake.
Understandable. Though I am still left wondering why a back brake instead of a front brake.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Quote said:

This fact should also demonstrate why a brakeless fixie is a scientifically dangerous object to its rider and those around him/her.

CAW

magicstop said:
lol, no hate . . . You're on a bike, so that's awesome, period! And that bike is definitely a better compromise than the others you've been listing. Not a fan of the suspension, but I think you'll have a great time riding it! Take plenty of pics when it gets here!
Thanks man! The good thing about this bike is that while it does come with shocks, at least they have a lockout feature for when I'm riding on the road. I've also been reading some bike forums where people will even just replace the front forks so that's always an option too.

Anyway, I figured I'd have some pictures by now but the bike still hasn't come in. Bah, I'm so impatient too, it's driving me mad! I figured it would have come in yesterday but didn't. I was told to call back today at around 2PM. Of course it's raining too. I was hoping to ride it home.

Speaking of bike related movies. I grew with this movie as a kid (I'm an 80's child). I loved this movie so much, I must have watched it over 100 times. Now it's on blu-ray! Definitely going to order it. That's going to be one hell of a nostalgia trip!

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwPbdYE9tZY&feature=related

Info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085204/

RedSwirl said:
I need to go ahead and ask: does anyone here know specifically how much riding a bike does for your body?

Cycling builds quads. (And the cardio vascular system of course.)

It also works your hamstrings, glutes. To a lesser extent calfs (which only perform isometric exercise, unlike your quads).

Here's a little graph that shows the muscles used during the pedal stroke:
pedalstroke_large1.gif

CAW

Y83Ij.jpg

FOM0C.jpg

w00t! Just got home with the new bike. Rode it home, only about a 5KM ride. Man it was smooth though! Thankfully the rain let up as well. Roads were still wet though.

I'll take some better pics once the weather clears up. Prob going to do some riding tomorrow if the weather is nice.

Quick question for the pros or avid riders. What's some proper basis care and maintenance after a good ride? I mean I have the manual as well which I plan to read thoroughly, but I figured maybe some tips and tricks from the pros wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks again Magic and those posting in this thread for all the helpful information! It's made buying a bike much, much easier.

magicstop

Good looking wheels! Congrats!

First thing is first: take off all the damn reflectors, lol. If you are going to ride at night, you need to invest in a good rear light (red, and will blink or strobe) as well as a good front light (clear, typically more for being seen than seeing in the dark, though some are bright enough for that). I use a Bontrager Ion 2 for my front light, and a Bontrager Flare 3 for my rear. They can be bought together in a pack for around $65.00 USD.

As far as maintenance goes, you'll want to be lubing your chain. If you are riding on the road and it's dry, you can lube every week or two. If you are riding off the road, or in wet conditions, you'll want to lube before / after every ride. I'm sure there are a billion tutorials on how to due it. It's very simple. Basically, I grab a washcloth (that I don't mind ruining), and I grasp the chain with it, then spin the pedals (all while bike is upside down). I usually go backwards so as to avoid spinning the wheel. This runs the chain through the cloth and gets a lot of the grime and dirt off. Do this several times on different parts of the cloth until it is coming off noticeably less dirty. Then grab your lube, and apply it to the chain. I usually slowly spin the chain, being sure to get a drop of lube on each connecting point for the links of the chain. Some people just squeeze the bottle to insure a flow of lube, and spin the chain to get it covered. Either is probably fine. Then, run the pedals in the proper direction for a bit, spinning the wheel. Go ahead and shift gears front and back, and get the lube worked in. Finally, grab your cloth and start removing excess lube. Do this by running the chain on the cloth like before, but on clean spots. You'll see the excess comes off black. That's good... you are cleaning and lubing at the same time.

And that's it. It will make your chain last a lot longer and will keep you shifting more smoothly longer as well.

Other maintenance: make sure your tires are at their proper pressure before most rides. For road tires, max inflation is recommended. For mountain bike tires, I prefer minimum inflation so that I get more traction and suspension. I would go mid to high on your tires. Keep in mind, the more air in the tires, the easier it will be to pedal on the road (they'll be fast and sturdy), but the more squirrely it will be on the trail (will grip less well, corner less well, etc.).

Make sure to clean the stanchions on your fork (the two posts where they start at the top of the fork, all the way down to where they disappear into the fork legs). You'll want to wipe these down after each ride. Maybe occasionally apply a little lube to the seals around the stanchions on the legs (your bike lube should work fine). These keeps those rubber seals supple and keeps them from getting cracked and ruined.

Your brakes won't need much work, but after a season or two of riding, you'll probably need to change your pads. Look up a tutorial for mechanical disc brakes (I think yours are mech), and it'll be a breeze. You may also need to adjust the cable a bit by twisting the caps that are by the brake caliper as well as by the lever (adjusts how much you have to squeeze it, etc.).

Also, after your first week or two (or an equivalent amount of riding), you may notice it doesn't shift as well or brake as well. This is normal. Things have loosened up, and they just need to be re-tuned. Take it back to your shop, and they should do it for free. In fact, I would hope that you got at least a year's worth of free tune-ups, if not a lifetime of them. That's one of the big benefits to buying locally.

And that's about it. Ride it and love it, and take it to your LBS when it needs work. Enjoy!

CAW

Thanks for the tips!

Light wise I'm using a cheap Walmart set atm but it works pretty well surprisingly enough. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HCSJGE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also have a front and rear Knog set: http://www.thebikedr.com/Bike-Lights/knog-qfrogq-silicon-mini-lights.html

Lvs0s.jpg

The bike came with a lifetime warranty on the frame and a year on the parts plus a year free service from the LBS. The LBS person I dealt with throughout this sale said to bring it back in in a few days to make sure everything is good, etc.

When it comes to cleaning the chain, would this be better than a rag or is it just a gimmick? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzhCaDGLbik&feature=related

edit lol my pets seem to like the new bike. In the first pic my dogs are checking it out and I just noticed in that last pic one of my cats is sleeping beside the rear wheel haha. Gotta love'em.

magicstop

I've used those chain cleaners before, and they are mostly just a pain in the ass. I'd avoid them. In truth, you only need to use something like that every once and awhile, not every time. Almost always, just a dry rag and lube will do. I'll sometimes use a bit of water and a mild solvent to scrub at the chain (nylon brushes work really well, like the one I have from Petro's), and that gets it proper clean when needed. But if you wipe and lube regularly, you won't get that much build up anyway, and shouldn't need anything heavy duty. At best, a nylon brush will help scrub some of that filth off.
Oh, I also like to pinch the wheels on the rear derailleur as the spin; they build up a lot of really funky shit, and it's gross/cool to see the chunks of it come off :D

ameratsu

bought some brake lever hoods (reproduction modolo 919s off ebay) and fizik microfiber tape. looks better than the celeste tape i had before

JXo6v.jpg

3Piax.jpg

sorry for the shitty pics, all i had was my roommate's iphone

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
So shameless plug for a bike shop.

Lakeview Bicycles
622 Grand Ave.
Oakland, CA 94610

(510) 251-1422
info@lakeviewbicycle.com

http://lakeviewbicycle.com/

Yes, the site is very basic. They (we) are working on it.

I will update if I can spread a GAF discount.

The kid in my avatar pic will not be eaten if you go.

Oh, I assure you, the smartest bicycle mechanic in the Western hemisphere works there.

CAW said:
Did a 30KM ride today, man it felt good but damn I'm tired. haha Anyway, I took some pictures but didn't realize until I got home that I had the camera set to the lowest quality.
Man, I would die for scenery like that to bike in. South Florida is so boring.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Chicago is a weird place.

It is very bike friendly, but also very jaywalker tolerant.

This results in some issues, with folks darting out between car and nearly plowing into them.

The typical interchange between myself and them is:

Me: HOLY SHIIII..

Jaywalker: Learn how to ride a fucking bike!

Me: Learn how to use the fucking crosswalk!

But the assholes who ride their bikes on the sidewalk are the worst. Excluding small kids of course.

CAW

Quote said:
Man, I would die for scenery like that to bike in. South Florida is so boring.
It's especially beautiful in the fall with all the colours of the leaves. Looking forward to some light snowfall as well. I'll take some pics of that. Prob (hopefully lol) not until December though.

Did some park/water front riding this afternoon:

PB3xR.jpg

YxmHt.jpg

What kind of chain lube is bike gaf using? Road riding lube. This is what I picked up from my LBS but I'm not sure about it yet. It turned black after one ride, but maybe I didn't clean the chain enough before applying it or perhaps I put too much.

http://www.pedros.com/go.htm

magicstop

CAW said:
What kind of chain lube is bike gaf using? Road riding lube. This is what I picked up from my LBS but I'm not sure about it yet. It turned black after one ride, but maybe I didn't clean the chain enough before applying it or perhaps I put too much.

http://www.pedros.com/go.htm

Beautiful pics! Great scenery . . . You lucky dog!

As far as lube, I prefer Tri-Flow lubricant. It has worked the best for me, and I've tried several brands. The truth is, don't buy into most of the hype. Most types of lubrication will do, as long as you are cleaning and re-lubing appropriately. Pedro's, Tri-Flow, Finish Line, etc., just keep your chain clean and lubed, and you'll be AOK :D

CAW

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it.

I brought the bike in for a tuneup this morning and the mechanic there was very helpful and spent a lot of time giving me tips as well and showing me how to do things. So all and all I feel very well informed from all the advice here on Gaf and from all the advice he gave me.

Magicstop said:
Beautiful pics! Great scenery . . . You lucky dog!
You know, I've lived here my entire life (31 years) and I'm just now starting to realize how beautiful it really is here, especially for cyclists.

I've been riding so much lately and I've taking a bunch of pics. I think I'm going to start up a freebie blog just to upload them and talk a bit about all the places I've been riding too. Just for shits and giggles.

Anyway, I did another tour today at my city's water locks. And it was such a beautiful day as well. I have almost 100 pics but I'll only post a handful. Sadly they're cell phone quality. Hope you enjoy them!

I also bought a bike computer today. Ironically enough it's made by Giant. :p

4xm0o.jpg

KCvFo.jpg

3pakY.jpg

BXhSa.jpg

zxUws.jpg

BNoMT.jpg

CaZk5.jpg

CAW said:
Y83Ij.jpg

FOM0C.jpg

w00t! Just got home with the new bike. Rode it home, only about a 5KM ride. Man it was smooth though! Thankfully the rain let up as well. Roads were still wet though.

I'll take some better pics once the weather clears up. Prob going to do some riding tomorrow if the weather is nice.

Quick question for the pros or avid riders. What's some proper basis care and maintenance after a good ride? I mean I have the manual as well which I plan to read thoroughly, but I figured maybe some tips and tricks from the pros wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks again Magic and those posting in this thread for all the helpful information! It's made buying a bike much, much easier.

Beautiful bike! Glad you are enjoying the rides! Where do you call home?

If I can make a suggestion:

mks-comp-gripking.jpg

MKS lambda pedals are a godsend if you like to ride longer distances in normal shoes.
I rode a 200km ride on them the other day and loved them.

:)

I guess now is a good time, as the weather starts getting colder, to post some cycling magazines and blogs to soothe that cycling itch on overly cold/snowy days:

My favorite resource is the Riv Reader from Rivendell:

HillborneR1.jpg

It's basically a genius bike designer's rants and raves about cycling, and is now free in pdf form:

http://www.rivbike.com/v/vspfiles/assets/pdfs/RivendellReader43.pdf

I also adore Bicycle Times:

BT%2010%20Cover.jpg

Great magazine for people who enjoy riding, rather than racing bicycles....

And in terms of blogs:

Ecovelo

slide-05.jpg

CAW said:
<GIANT Roam pics>
Is that bike suited for any MTB trails or are the tires too thin? I have a road bike at the moment, but wanted to get and MTB that I could ride to work (less than a mile) and go on the trails on my days off.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
So shameless plug for a bike shop.

Lakeview Bicycles
622 Grand Ave.
Oakland, CA 94610

(510) 251-1422
info@lakeviewbicycle.com

http://lakeviewbicycle.com/

Yes, the site is very basic. They (we) are working on it.

I will update if I can spread a GAF discount.

The kid in my avatar pic will not be eaten if you go.

Oh, I assure you, the smartest bicycle mechanic in the Western hemisphere works there.

I may take a look whenever I'm in the area. Cousin lives in Oakland and we hang out around Grand Ave. all the time or just chill downtown.

Quote said:
Is that bike suited for any MTB trails or are the tires too thin? I have a road bike at the moment, but wanted to get and MTB that I could ride to work (less than a mile) and go on the trails on my days off.

It's really designed for light trail use.

Think this:

virginia-creeper-trail.jpeg

Rather than this:

wv_snosho_39_orange_unreald.jpg

magicstop

outunderthestars said:

Bah, that looks fun! I want to go mountain biking, but I've been far too busy to indulge :(

I've been riding local trails which are a bit of a bore here in Chapel Hill, NC. I'm used to riding in Asheville, NC, and Colorado.

A few pics (thumbnails, click to see full size):

A drop I was sizing up in CO, about 4' or so. Not too extreme, but rough, with its landing in a rock garden.

Hitting said jump:

A more recent picture of me riding my current mountain bike:

Most of the riding around here isn't very technical. Just twisty and tight, which is fun, but I adore rocks, roots, and drops.

There's nothing like being airborne on a bike:

magicstop said:
Bah, that looks fun! I want to go mountain biking, but I've been far too busy to indulge :(

I've been riding local trails which are a bit of a bore here in Chapel Hill, NC. I'm used to riding in Asheville, NC, and Colorado.

A few pics (thumbnails, click to see full size):

A drop I was sizing up in CO, about 4' or so. Not too extreme, but rough, with its landing in a rock garden.

Hitting said jump:

A more recent picture of me riding my current mountain bike:

Most of the riding around here isn't very technical. Just twisty and tight, which is fun, but I adore rocks, roots, and drops.

There's nothing like being airborne on a bike:

Come up to Boone. We just built a new trail, we have some great dh runs at the ski resorts, and you're super close to Pisgah. I'll buy ya a beer if you ever make it this way!

edit: Is that a Jamis Dakar?

magicstop

outunderthestars said:
Come up to Boone. We just built a new trail, we have some great dh runs at the ski resorts, and you're super close to Pisgah. I'll buy ya a beer if you ever make it this way!

edit: Is that a Jamis Dakar?

It WAS a Jamis Dakar :D I'm on the Spec. Enduro SL in the third pic now. The Jamis has been parted out and given to a friend who is making good use of it in Maggie Valley.
I'd love to come up to Boone sometime. The only riding I've done in the area is at Wilksboro, which is windy and fun, but not technical. We've been told the Boone trails are not navigable if you don't have a friend who knows them. I'll have to send you a PM if we're considering hitting up the area sometime soon.

Thanks for the invite! Also, DH sounds excelleeeennnnttt.

Quote said:

I was thinking about what you might enjoy, and thought of the Trek Mamba:

5281132207_e4fc0a8e28.jpg

A fun 29'er bike that will roll fast and has a lockout on the fork (which means you can make the bike ride more like a rigid street bike)

A pretty good deal at about $900.

CAW

outunderthestars said:
Beautiful bike! Glad you are enjoying the rides! Where do you call home?

If I can make a suggestion:

mks-comp-gripking.jpg

MKS lambda pedals are a godsend if you like to ride longer distances in normal shoes.
I rode a 200km ride on them the other day and loved them.

:)
Thanks! I'm from Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada.

Those look like some comfortable pedals. I've actually been thinking about going clipless. I saw a nice set the other day at my LBS.

Quote said:
I've been using it more for road and it works great! I've done some light trail riding, but that's mostly gravel or packed dirt road so I can't say just yet.

I'm planning on doing some trail riding this week/end so I'll report back to you. I'll take some pics of the trails too so you can get an idea of their level of difficulty.

ChiTownBuffalo

Auron_Kale said:
I may take a look whenever I'm in the area. Cousin lives in Oakland and we hang out around Grand Ave. all the time or just chill downtown.

Thanks. It's near a yoga studio packed with attractive people.

ChiTownBuffalo

Auron_Kale said:
LOL! I know exactly where it is then! The froyo place is right next to that yoga studio if I remember correctly.

Yessir.

CAW said:
Thanks! I'm from Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada.

Those look like some comfortable pedals. I've actually been thinking about going clipless. I saw a nice set the other day at my LBS.

I've been using it more for road and it works great! I've done some light trail riding, but that's mostly gravel or packed dirt road so I can't say just yet.

I'm planning on doing some trail riding this week/end so I'll report back to you. I'll take some pics of the trails too so you can get an idea of their level of difficulty.

The thing about clipless pedals is that you'll need to always wear your cycling shoes when you ride. I found it made me less likely to just hop on my and go have some fun.

brentech said:
Not true.

http://www.crankbrothers.com/pedals_candy.php

I have the Candy2's. Totally ride-able with sneakers on. I often do that when just doing a little ride with my wife.

As one who has sold those pedals for years now, I can tell you that many people find the raised cleat engagement area to cause pain through the soles of tennis shoes after anything more than a couple of miles.

You also lose foot stability and grip, which can cause accidents when a foot slips off of the pedal.

Top Bottom