• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

CAW

It's going to be something I definitely research before I buy, but while at my LBS yesterday one of the owners was showing me a nice pair (for about $79.99 CAD). He said the good thing about them was that you can clip in from any side, where as many have to be facing a certain side so you'd have to rotate the pedal before you clip in.

He also had a pair there that had clip-ins on one side and a regular pedal platform on the other.

I don't see myself biking many places and then walking. If I go down to the mall or something it'd probably be to pick something up, not walk around but most of the time when I'm going somewhere with my bike, I'm going riding. More riding less commuting, although I do ride to work. Then again I find I always have my back pack with me so for work I can just bring my other shoes and switch them out.

CAW said:
It's going to be something I definitely research before I buy, but while at my LBS yesterday one of the owners was showing me a nice pair (for about $79.99 CAD). He said the good thing about them was that you can clip in from any side, where as many have to be facing a certain side so you'd have to rotate the pedal before you clip in.

He also had a pair there that had clip-ins on one side and a regular pedal platform on the other.

I don't see myself biking many places and then walking. If I go down to the mall or something it'd probably be to pick something up, not walk around but most of the time when I'm going somewhere with my bike, I'm going riding. More riding less commuting, although I do ride to work. Then again I find I always have my back pack with me so for work I can just bring my other shoes and switch them out.

The question to ask yourself is why would you need to be clipped in? Outside of racing and hardcore trail riding I personally have not seen much of a benefit. As a retailer i always enjoyed getting another $200 - $600 out of a bike sale though. :D

Grant Peterson of Rivendell wrote what i consider to be the best essay out there about clipless shoes/pedals:

http://www.rivbike.com/kb_results.asp?ID=45

I think it is well worth a read. :)

magicstop

outunderthestars said:
The question to ask yourself is why would you need to be clipped in? Outside of racing and hardcore trail riding I personally have not seen much of a benefit. As a retailer i always enjoyed getting another $200 - $600 out of a bike sale though. :D

Grant Peterson of Rivendell wrote what i consider to be the best essay out there about clipless shoes/pedals:

I'll have to read that, but I have to say . . . coming to this as a single-speed commuter, having clipless pedals is a huge assist. It's like adding another gear, as pedaling is far more efficient when clipped in. You simply get far more power per revolution of the pedals, and you can engage your muscles differently as they grow tired, etc.
Something you should keep in mind, CAW, is that shoes designed to be used with clipless pedals have extremely stiff, unbending soles and bottoms. The shoes don't bend. It's like walking on steel plates. This is because it allows you to more efficient transfer power from your leg and foot to the pedal, but it makes for terrible shoes for anything else, including any sort of walking, etc.
Try some on and walk around in them first before even thinking about the pedals.
I would maintain that something like the Crank Bros Mallets, while not up to snuff for hardcore mountain biking while not clipped in, still have you more than enough grip for commuting around.
I use my tiny little Crank Bros Candy C pedals with tennis shoes sometimes when just going for a commute, and I can manage fine. I just wouldn't dream of doing that on a serious trail without going ahead and using real shoes designed to clip in.
Just my .02

CAW

outunderthestars said:

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out.

As for the the salesman/mechanic at the LBS I was at. It was me actually asking all the questions. I didn't feel as if he was trying to push sales or anything and I spent a great deal of time just asking questions about many things related to cycling. I'll always research and get multiple opinions on something instead of being suckered into something. Or, well, at least I'll try to anyway, haha.

Magicstop said:
Something you should keep in mind, CAW, is that shoes designed to be used with clipless pedals have extremely stiff, unbending soles and bottoms. The shoes don't bend. It's like walking on steel plates. This is because it allows you to more efficient transfer power from your leg and foot to the pedal, but it makes for terrible shoes for anything else, including any sort of walking, etc.
Try some on and walk around in them first before even thinking about the pedals.
I would maintain that something like the Crank Bros Mallets, while not up to snuff for hardcore mountain biking while not clipped in, still have you more than enough grip for commuting around.
I use my tiny little Crank Bros Candy C pedals with tennis shoes sometimes when just going for a commute, and I can manage fine. I just wouldn't dream of doing that on a serious trail without going ahead and using real shoes designed to clip in.
Just my .02

That's what the LBS mechanic was saying. He had some clip-in shoes designed for walking as well as riding. They looked like hiking shoes to be honest. I believe they were Shimano brand too. So he was also saying how some can be stiff and terrible for walking and some are made to be easier and more versatile, etc.

I appreciate the info, as always. I'm hoping to test some out before making the ultimate decision and definitely won't be something I rush into.

Thanks guys. :)

edit: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GSQVEE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Is it a universal fit or are there size differences for installing these? I might give these Lambda's a try. Fairly inexpensive and the reviews seem pretty solid.

CAW said:
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out.

As for the the salesman/mechanic at the LBS I was at. It was me actually asking all the questions. I didn't feel as if he was trying to push sales or anything and I spent a great deal of time just asking questions about many things related to cycling. I'll always research and get multiple opinions on something instead of being suckered into something. Or, well, at least I'll try to anyway, haha.

That's what the LBS mechanic was saying. He had some clip-in shoes designed for walking as well as riding. They looked like hiking shoes to be honest. I believe they were Shimano brand too. So he was also saying how some can be stiff and terrible for walking and some are made to be easier and more versatile, etc.

I appreciate the info, as always. I'm hoping to test some out before making the ultimate decision and definitely won't be something I rush into.

Thanks guys. :)

edit: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GSQVEE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Is it a universal fit or are there size differences for installing these? I might give these Lambda's a try. Fairly inexpensive and the reviews seem pretty solid.

Always find what works well for you personally. :)

As for the the lambda pedals: They have a 9/16th " spindle, which is standard on everything but kids bikes and super cheap Walmart sold "bike shaped objects"

That Amazon price seems really close to the local bike shop price. Call your shop and check their price as well. Supporting your local shop keeps them in business, and will usually get you discounts, better service, and friendly help.

SUPREME1 said:
WTF mang, no love for our Honda Ridgeline?

: (

You could always use a bike rack that goes in the bed of the truck:

15500.jpg

RedSwirl

perryfarrell said:
Cycling builds quads. (And the cardio vascular system of course.)

It also works your hamstrings, glutes. To a lesser extent calfs (which only perform isometric exercise, unlike your quads).

Here's a little graph that shows the muscles used during the pedal stroke:
pedalstroke_large1.gif

So basically just your legs.

Also, tips on getting dry dirt off of tires?

CAW

Quote said:
Is that bike suited for any MTB trails or are the tires too thin? I have a road bike at the moment, but wanted to get and MTB that I could ride to work (less than a mile) and go on the trails on my days off.
I rode some trails today to test out the bike's performance. I'm very pleased. The trails ranged from easy to medium difficulty I'd say. The most challenging being the smaller trails with the wet leaves and a lot of roots coming out of the ground. The suspension and tires handled them very well imo.

I also did a lot of steep declines and inclines and even though the tires aren't as thick as mountain bike tires, they still had enough tread to stick to the dirt and not spin out on the heavy inclines. For the declines I really enjoyed having the disk brakes and the tires didn't slide out either, so all and all I was quite impressed.

I rode to the trails too and after leaving the trails the bike was just as smooth on the road as it was before I got there. And, by the time I got home, all the mud was off the tires. Bonus!

Here's some cell phone pics of the trails:

http://imgur.com/a/Vo6yr

edit pics from all rides here: http://molsonwarrior.imgur.com/

CAW said:
I rode some trails today to test out the bike's performance. I'm very pleased. The trails ranged from easy to medium difficulty I'd say. The most challenging being the smaller trails with the wet leaves and a lot of roots coming out of the ground. The suspension and tires handled them very well imo.

I also did a lot of steep declines and inclines and even though the tires aren't as thick as mountain bike tires, they still had enough tread to stick to the dirt and not spin out on the heavy inclines. For the declines I really enjoyed having the disk brakes and the tires didn't slide out either, so all and all I was quite impressed.

I rode to the trails too and after leaving the trails the bike was just as smooth on the road as it was before I got there. And, by the time I got home, all the mud was off the tires. Bonus!

Here's some cell phone pics of the trails:

edit pics from all rides here: http://molsonwarrior.imgur.com/

Awesome! Glad you're enjoying the trails! :D

Jobiensis

Ok, bicycle gaf. Thank you for the suggestions, I completed the century last week without too much difficulty. Between my Cateye that loses connection, and my phone that flipped out, I don't have as accurate stats as I would like. But total time was 6:20, they changed the course so it had more climbing (I'm guessing about 4k), but that worked to my advantage, I am not at a big disadvantage with my flat bars when climbing. I have a tendency to push slowly into anaerobic zones as the ride progresses, but I did better than I expected. I think I pushed a bit too hard at 70 miles and then lost a lot of time in the headwinds (last 15 miles).

I'm going to sign up for another one mid November that has more climbing (7.5k). My eventual goal is LOTOJA (looking 2013 at this point). I'm hoping to get in some of the tougher SoCal centuries next year, and work harder on my hill climbs. I'm planning on working in a Palomar mountain climb in the next two weeks.

Ok, enough of the Live Journal, a question...

I am a data/tech whore, so I like to record all my rides, but my phone/computer combo just isn't cutting it battery or reliability wise. I'm really tempted to get a Garmin Edge 500, does anybody use one? I would get the HRM and cadence sensor.

CAW

I've discovered and have fallen in love with night trail riding! Definitely a new challenge but man it's great!

I haven't been riding bush trails at night....yet. For that I'm waiting to get a 100+ Lumen light (or maybe 500+). Right now though I'm riding at a local park here in my city that has some path trails and paved paths that go through some light bush and it's all on the waterfront. It's very peaceful and the bonus is there's next to no one there past 8PM. It's getting dark at around 7:30 PM now since it's October.

So far here's the lights I'm using:

http://i.imgur.com/Jm6JH.jpg

Rear:

Still searching for a decent, powerfull 100+ lumens front light. Been looking at something like this http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-ld10.html and then getting the mount http://www.fenixtactical.com/twofish-bikeblock-bike-flashlight-mount.html

Any late night trail riders heres? Any suggestions or experience with that?

FooTemps

anyone ever order a bike from bikesdirect? I'm fairly proficient at maintaining and tuning my bike right now and I have all the tools/facilities needed to assemble a bike so the assembly part won't be a surprise. Anyone have any comments on the frame quality? Customer service?

I'm looking to get a cx bike from them since I can get an alu frame with a sram rival gearset for under 1000.

edit: stupid autocorrect

Picked up a Raleigh Furley single-speed cyclocross bike at my LBS yesterday, love it...not very fast given as it's set at a pretty comfy 39t/18t cruise/light mountain gearing compared to my fixed gear bike set at 46t/16t but since I'm planning to use it as my 'comfort commuter' to work at least 2 times a week I don't mind it much.

Got a bunch mods in store for it though, one thing being the disc brakes...not liking the stock Promax's on it, will be switching them out for Avid Road BB7s later on. Also going to move the MTB clipless pedals I currently have on my road bike to the Furley and get dedicated road pedals and shoes for it (not cheap, especially the SIDI kicks I'd like to get for it =/).

brentech

Rode to one of our local IMBA trails that I've ridden quite a few times this summer/fall.

Should have got pictures earlier in the season, what I ended up with is leaf fall covering up a lot of the more interesting areas. Taken with my iPhone, and somehow they're kind of blown out on the whites.

One of the boulder fields.

Should have taken this pictures from a flatter angle to give a better idea of the drop which gives you some nice speed to take through the next sections.

One of the many areas where you gotta tuck your elbows in. Quite a few spots much more narrow than this.

Really need to take shots next spring when the ground is clear. It's a nice, quality trail. Part of a 5 trail system.

CAW

Looks great. Looks hybrid friendly too.

Those pics make me want to go riding even more but it looks like I'm going to be stuck in the house for a few days. It's been raining non-stop here. Fall weather has finally arrived. I'd go out riding but I don't have the proper rain gear, both for me and the bike.

Bummer too because I just got home with my new toy and I'm dying to try it out (GoPro):

47hRX.png

ameratsu

Anyone have experience with Planet X Model B wheels? I am strongly considering buying a set for my Bianchi to replace the heavy Ambrosio elites that I have now.

McLovin

Last week I road my bike out like 70 miles to my aunts house, stayed a few days and road back on monday (3 day weekend). Anywho I tried riding my bike today and my balls hurt. This normal or should I go to the doctor?

Kraftwerk

McLovin said:
Last week I road my bike out like 70 miles to my aunts house, stayed a few days and road back on monday (3 day weekend). Anywho I tried riding my bike today and my balls hurt. This normal or should I go to the doctor?

Seat is probably in wrong position ( tilt, rail location ). Could be a few things. Bike size, geometry etc. Could also be as simple as buying a new, more comfortable saddle.

Another option would be a seatpost suspension such as a thudbuster.

olore

GamePnoy74 said:
specially the SIDI kicks I'd like to get for it =/).

Sidis are awesome. I've been wearing them since the early 90's and for fit just firgetaboutit. The best. Currently have a pair of Genius 5 Pro and Dominators. Have used Duegis, Lakes, Gaernes (also Italian and very good), Shimanos (extremely stiff but fit no good)

olore said:
Sidis are awesome. I've been wearing them since the early 90's and for fit just firgetaboutit. The best. Currently have a pair of Genius 5 Pro and Dominators. Have used Duegis, Lakes, Gaernes (also Italian and very good), Shimanos (extremely stiff but fit no good)
I ended up ordering a pair of black Lake CX170s instead for under $100 along with a set of black Shimano Ultegra pedals (PD-R670s) for my road bike. At the end of the day the SIDIs were just way out of my budget...maybe I'll look into them again later on.

magicstop

GamePnoy74 said:
Picked up a Raleigh Furley single-speed cyclocross bike at my LBS yesterday, love it

I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you

I am SO JELLY

Here's my good old wire mule (a coloquial term for bikes in German; "Drahtesel").

4PjuB.jpg

I really need to adjust the breaks and the gear shift (I ride it like a fixie to avoid chain jumping, lol).

Kraftwerk

We had one of these left at the shop, so decided just to grab it myself. It's designed to be a Trick/Track Freestyle bike. Very solid bomb proof frame that is pretty light and a smooth ride.

Mainly picked it up to ride through winter. WIll put some massive studded tires on it and roll like a tank :D

Redline - Urbis NOX

MIDJK.jpg

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a dumbass. Everyone come point and laugh. I just ran a red light knowingly and got pulled over by a cop.

I was riding really fast and it would have taken a huge distance to slow down so I looked up saw the light turn yellow and I sped up, but the light was red before I was barely even in the intersection. I made it through before any cars had started, though one guy on a Vespa scooter honked at me. I felt like an idiot right then and there. This is right in front of the Occupy protests in my city too. I was speeding by a tent city.

So I kept riding, and about ~10 minutes later a cop pulls way in front of me. And the officer gets out and gives me the "I am morpheus" stance to stop." So I stop. And he berates me. Talking about scraping me off a windshield and how if a car had done that to me I'd be cursing them. All true. I am terrified of cars, to the point where I don't even drive one.

Anyway, he was a nice guy. He just gave me a warning, and ended up giving me a really great handshake. He gripped my hand really hard and was like "I ride too."

All in all it was a good experience. It;s kind of placated my fear of policemen. The last officer I ran into basically forced a search on me. (I didn't have anything.) Obviously I could have said no, but his intimidation tactics were so strong I just buckled to the pressure. But whatever, that was like two years ago.

Jtwo said:
I'm a dumbass. Everyone come point and laugh. I just ran a red light knowingly and got pulled over by a cop.

I was riding really fast and it would have taken a huge distance to slow down so I looked up saw the light turn yellow and I sped up, but the light was red before I was barely even in the intersection. I made it through before any cars had started, though one guy on a Vespa scooter honked at me. I felt like an idiot right then and there. This is right in front of the Occupy protests in my city too. I was speeding by a tent city.

So I kept riding, and about ~10 minutes later a cop pulls way in front of me. And the officer gets out and gives me the "I am morpheus" stance to stop." So I stop. And he berates me. Talking about scraping me off a windshield and how if a car had done that to me I'd be cursing them. All true. I am terrified of cars, to the point where I don't even drive one.

Anyway, he was a nice guy. He just gave me a warning, and ended up giving me a really great handshake. He gripped my hand really hard and was like "I ride too."

All in all it was a good experience. It;s kind of placated my fear of policemen. The last officer I ran into basically forced a search on me. (I didn't have anything.) Obviously I could have said no, but his intimidation tactics were so strong I just buckled to the pressure. But whatever, that was like two years ago.
I'm glad he has perspective from the other side to recognize that what you did was stupid and against the law but isn't the end of the world.

The opposite story just happened to me. I avoided getting hit by squeezing my brakes so hard that my back wheel flew off the ground and I nearly flipped forward. A lady in an SUV (such a stereotype, but it keeps proving itself accurate) rolled through a stop sign without even really looking. She just did a courtesy "I'm going to slow down enough that it's like I'm following the law, but not really at all, and then I'm going to keep going forward without even moving my eyes." She noticed me at the very last moment, I guess from the corner of her eye, and stopped in the middle of the intersection right in front of me. If my brakes hadn't worked as well as they did, I probably would have launched through her side window.

CAW said:
I couldn't wait any longer. Shitty weather or not I was determined to get out and play with my new camera.

Short park cruise:

Bike Mount: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKKTviH4dzs

Head Strap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTfAonfrzCA

I like the head strap much better. I'm going to play around with the bike mount though and find some better places to mount it. I'm also going to check out the chest mount.

Nice vids, I bought one of those cheap Toshiba Camileo HD cameras for my bike today. I've ordered a Gorilla Pod, but I'm hitching to try it out. Are those DIY reflector mounts any good?

Made one of those reflector mounts and the results were appalling, lol, not even worth uploading with all the movement, the camera's image stability did little to improve it. I hope that Gorilla Pod the Gadget Show constantly pimps does a better job.

video screencap.

SD 60fps
zbRap.jpg

HD 30fps

ceYRw.jpg

So, I'm looking at getting a road bike and I am kind of overwhelmed. This will be the first time I get a bike that I didn't buy from a place like Wal-Mart. I have been saving up for a while to get a decent bike, because I want to use it on a regular basis for fun, exercise, and commuting. I have been looking online trying to get an idea of what I want and what my price range is. Currently I'm looking at a Trek Madone 4.7, and I plan to go look at one in person in the next couple days. So is there anything I should know before I go to the store, I don't plan on buying one tomorrow, but I'd like to have a better idea of what I should know.

ameratsu

So, I'm looking at getting a road bike and I am kind of overwhelmed. This will be the first time I get a bike that I didn't buy from a place like Wal-Mart. I have been saving up for a while to get a decent bike, because I want to use it on a regular basis for fun, exercise, and commuting. I have been looking online trying to get an idea of what I want and what my price range is. Currently I'm looking at a Trek Madone 4.7, and I plan to go look at one in person in the next couple days. So is there anything I should know before I go to the store, I don't plan on buying one tomorrow, but I'd like to have a better idea of what I should know.

If I were you -- figure out what brands your local bike shop carries. From there, determine what each of these brands makes that interests you, and ask to ride them while you're there. If it's a trustworthy shop, they should be able to direct you into the right bike based on what kind of riding you plan on doing.

Any reason you are looking for a carbon frame on your first real road bike? Have you considered aluminum bikes like the cannondale caad8 or caad10?

The 4.7 is a really nice bike with a great geometry and stiff but comfortable ride.

The biggest thing is to find a store that makes you feel comfortable about the buying process. Also look for shops that will do a full professional fitting for free with the purchase of a bike. Getting the bicycle fitted is a huge deal and will make your future riding way more pleasant.

Now is the best time of year to buy, as shops are desperate to clear out inventory. Feel free to haggle a bit and see if you can't get $100 - $150 off or store credit towards accessories.

If they give you store credit buy the nicest cycling shorts you can afford. :)

If I were you -- figure out what brands your local bike shop carries. From there, determine what each of these brands makes that interests you, and ask to ride them while you're there. If it's a trustworthy shop, they should be able to direct you into the right bike based on what kind of riding you plan on doing.

Any reason you are looking for a carbon frame on your first real road bike? Have you considered aluminum bikes like the cannondale caad8 or caad10?

My friend has a aluminum bike that I have ridden a couple of times, and I wasn't a big fan of the stiffness when it hit bumps, it made it hard for me to get comfortable. Granted that it is his bike and he was fitted when he got it so it would obviously not be as comfortable for me, but I'll keep it in mind.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just got home from the most amazing ride. No traffic out tonight and it was cold as hell. (42 degrees and SUPER foggy) Met my buddy downtown and we did about a ~9 mile ride maybe. All bundled up. It was great, everything was covered in a thin layer of mist, and the few stop lights we did encounter were glowing out gigantically. I need to install my new handlebars though. I have a flat T stem/bar combo. And while its nice and compact and very maneuverable its HELL for my wrists. I got a pair of hand me down drop bars that I've already painted white. I just need to get some grip tape and a stem for them.

Starting off the new year with a new bike

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041QF9EQ/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

It arrives tomorrow. Can't wait to put it together.

Kraftwerk

@Jamesfrom818:

Good choice with going for a steel frame. So much smoother. I only ride steel when it comes to road/single speed bikes.

---

This year I'm going to take MTB more seriously. My current top choice is this baby:

SCOTT Genius 50

Just waiting for it to arrive at the bike shop, so I can test ride it first. Wanted to go with a 29er instead, but after doing some trail rides on both 26" and 29" bikes, I decided not to go with the 29er. I had much more control on the 26" bike.

Can't wait to hit the trail this year!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
What would be the best way to sell a bike would you say? My Electra Townie 7D is awesome, but unfortunately the type of riding I'm trying to do these days requires a wider range of gears and off-roadability.

If I can recoupe half the cost I'd be a happy dude.

Top Bottom