• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

So looking to get back into biking but it's been years so sorta out of the loop on prices/brands and such. Don't need something super fancy and new and not looking to spend a fortune. I'm in Olympia, WA Anyone want to help me out and see if there are any deals worth checking out on craigslist around me? I'm 6' btw

https://seattle.craigslist.org/search/oly/bik

I also have a phone number of a guy selling a 2013 (he thinks it's the 2013 model) giant escape for $200 in Tacoma which has fenders and a rack

Aiustis

So looking to get back into biking but it's been years so sorta out of the loop on prices/brands and such. Don't need something super fancy and new and not looking to spend a fortune. I'm in Olympia, WA Anyone want to help me out and see if there are any deals worth checking out on craigslist around me? I'm 6' btw

https://seattle.craigslist.org/search/oly/bik

I also have a phone number of a guy selling a 2013 giant escape for $200 in Tacoma

I suggested to someone to see if they have a bike co op where they lived. Ours has mid/high quality bikes at great prices also assists with repairs.

Giant has some nice bikes though.

Mascot

Just back from the weekend at Swinley Forest, and it was brilliant. Did a total of around 80 miles on the trails with one hell of a lot of alcohol consumed on Saturday night so my legs are like warm jelly this evening. The trails have fantastic flow with massive berms and great changes in elevation. I'll definitely be heading back there soon.

received_10157237653380644_zpsrc09s2mz.jpeg

Mikeside

Just back from the weekend at Swinley Forest, and it was brilliant. Did a total of around 80 miles on the trails with one hell of a lot of alcohol consumed on Saturday night so my legs are like warm jelly this evening. The trails have fantastic flow with massive berms and great changes in elevation. I'll definitely be heading back there soon.

received_10157237653380644_zpsrc09s2mz.jpeg

crazy, that's about 10 minutes away from me.

Bike arrives this week - I can't wait to get on the thing

Don't do a fasted ride starting 10 hours after a hard as hell turbo trainer session. :(

Only ever bonked a couple of times before, not in any great rush to do it again.

Think I'm going to swap my Look pedals on my road bike over to A520's. Ready to give up the multi-shoe approach and just stick with SPD. Also tempted to move my A600's over to A530's.

I'd give crank brothers a shot but every review I've seen on them is the cleats wear out super fast.

Mascot

crazy, that's about 10 minutes away from me.

Bike arrives this week - I can't wait to get on the thing

You lucky, lucky boy - it's a fantastic centre. Don't drink their coffee or eat their sausage baps though, both were pretty nasty.

From talking to some chap we met on the trails there's a bike shop somewhere in the Reading/Bracknell vicinity that let's you trial brand-new bikes for £50 a month (redeemable if you buy the bike). That's £50 A MONTH. He was on a brand-new £6k Santa Cruz Hightower that was effectively costing him around £1.70 a day to hire. Crazy. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the shop though.

hightower_black_275plus_hero-1200x930.jpg

He said he was sold on Plus tyres after riding this beast.

Mascot

Forgot to say, they also gave his son an equivalent bike for a month, all included in the original £50. He said he was totally paranoid that he had £12k of bikes under his care without actually owning them.

I guess this must be a one-off thing otherwise people would abuse the fuck out of it.

Mascot

There must be a catch somewhere, seems way to good to be true, what are the shop getting out of it?

We discussed this with him at the time and he said it might be money well spent by the shop because both he and his son were now in love with the bikes and would find it hard giving them back. I wish I had more details - I bet there was all sorts of penalty systems in place, maybe a fat damage deposit etc. I'll ask my mate if he remembers the name of the shop - he was more interested being more 'local' (Windsor).

Mascot

Aha! Did a quick search for Santa Cruz dealers in the area and came up with Mountain Trax which rang the memory bell. Here's their page regarding demo bikes:

http://www.mountain-trax.com/page/39/Demo_Centre

How Does The Demo Scheme Work?
- There is a small charge for Demo's (see table *£50/month for MTB*). You will receive a Demo Card valid for 30 days from the date of issue so you only pay the once, but have the opportunity to test multiple products to really get a feel for what suits you and meets your requirements. Duration of each bike test is for upto 48hrs.

- Mountain Trax is open 7 days a week so you can book for anytime that suits you.

- Your demo fee will be refunded if you subsequently purchase the product.

- Identification will be required in the form of a driving licence or passport which will remain securely with us during the demo, and a disclaimer form signed.

- We request that demo mountain bikes are not taken further afield to trail centres. Most riders take the bikes over to Swinley Forest which is just a 10 minute drive from the shop. Swinley has two easy to follow waymarked trails graded blue and red so you can compare bikes on identical test loops.

So you pay £50/month and can demo an unlimited number of bikes in that period, but can only keep any one bike for a maximum of 48hrs.

Not quite what I thought but still a pretty goddamn sweet deal. Fuck, if I lived down there I'd be all over this like a dung beetle on horse shit.

Mascot

I think I'm going to have a job resisting the traditional end-of-year stock clearances next month. I've seen some beautiful beasts recently.

Mascot

I'm narrowing the search down for the maintenance stand and i'm close to buying this one.

clicky click-click

£28 delivered, good reviews, looks sturdy. I prefer the idea of fixed flat perpendicular legs (as opposed to the quadpod legs on folding stands) because they don't get in the way and stop you getting up close and personal with the bike (is this even an issue? I don't know). I've also heard that you can stand on the legs to get rock-solid stability when jobs involve a lot of torquing. This stand is slightly harder to fold away for storage (ie needs the central post lifting out of the base) but my workshop is a double garage so I'll probably leave it up anyway.

Thoughts?

danowat

Banned
As long as the quick release gives enough clamping force so the bike doesn't wang around. and enough controllable clamping force so that it doesn't crush the top tube, it looks pretty good.

Mascot

As long as the quick release gives enough clamping force so the bike doesn't wang around. and enough controllable clamping force so that it doesn't crush the top tube, it looks pretty good.

My only slight concern is the knob for locking the rotating angle of the jaws (top left in this photo)
and whether you'd get enough purchase on it to lock the bike at different angles. If it was an issue then the knob could be drilled through and a short bar inserted to give better tightening torque, or a series of holes could be drilled through the tube & insert so a bolt could be dropped in to lock the rotation at various positions.

Found it from the same seller for £26.90 delivered too, so it's hardly a huge gamble.

This is what i have. Ive had it for years and have no idea where i got it or if the company is even still in business. Its called the Ultimate Bike Support. I use it on my carbon road bike all the time and holds an aluminum mtn bike with ease. It can swing so that it can hold the bike by the cross bar, or vertically by the seat post. Its heavy duty as shit. Im curious, but i think the company may have been bought out or even turned into Feedback Bike Stands. Not 100%. Quality product though.
406804d1226154932-ultimate-support-out-bike-repair-stand-biz-3ult.jpg
acc_ultproeli_437x560.jpg

Mascot

This is what i have. Ive had it for years and have no idea where i got it or if the company is even still in business. Its called the Ultimate Bike Support. I use it on my carbon road bike all the time and holds an aluminum mtn bike with ease. It can swing so that it can hold the bike by the cross bar, or vertically by the seat post. Its heavy duty as shit. Im curious, but i think the company may have been bought out or even turned into Feedback Bike Stands. Not 100%. Quality product though.

Can't find much on them since 2008 so I don't think they're still trading. The Feedback stands look kind of similar but are probably a lot more than I want to spend.

Can't find much on them since 2008 so I don't think they're still trading. The Feedback stands look kind of similar but are probably a lot more than I want to spend.

I hear you. Im on their site now and it all seems quite expensive for a bike stand. If i had to guess id say i spent around 200 or more on this one. I love it, but i wouldn't do it again.

Mascot

Just wait till Aldi (or Lidl) do their cycle stock, can't be too long till they do.

It could be a while and I've got brakes to bleed, wheels to true, gears to index and a new bottom bracket to fit so I've taken a punt with the one I linked to earlier today. I shall opine loudly on receipt.

Mascot

I almost bought a cheap stand but too many reviews had issues with clamping force or the top tube sliding down.

Yeah, if I was constantly working on a fleet of bikes then I'd spend a few hundred quid but for occasional home maintenance I couldn't really justify the expense. I'm sure that any performance issues can probably be solved with a drill and hammer.

Mascot

My home maintenance is as follows.

Do wheels turn?, if yes, ride, if no, find out why till they do, then ride.

I think (hope?) you're being facetious but MTB maintenance is a lot more involved than for roadies. The bangs, knocks, shakes and rattles all need attending to and the trail crud needs constant removal. We have one (and usually two) shocks to maintain, a higher chance of wiping out, and bearings and bushes to keep an eye on. Drivetrains get performance-affectingly filthy after most rides. Things shake loose. Rocks and logs love to strip spoke threads and smash our wheels out of true. I could go on. I hate the feeling of riding my bike when I've not given it a once-over beforehand because I know a failure could be catastrophic for me OR the bike.

Is this a reason why Jimmy farthings are so popular? Generally just hop on and go?

danowat

Banned
Unfortunately, I am not being facetious! the stereotype of all roadies being obsessed with image is false, that said, my race bike is always in peak condition, every watt counts!.

For my training bike(s) as long as they aren't dangerous, then I just ride them, they are normally pretty dirty, especially in winter.

Top Bottom