• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Ugh, two hour turbo trainer session. Really wasn't up for that, feel like crap now.

same. i knew going in it was going to be bad since 1) last workout before recovery week 2) day before did Palisades on TR, 5X9 over/under at 95% 1 min and 105% 2 min.

so i thought, hey, why not end the training block on a high and load up sufferfest ISL (the 2 hour climbing one) and promptly struggled through the first intervals and subsequently didnt make it past the first climb. dumb, but oh well. i bailed and did 30 min easy spin, something i probably should have done anyway.

Watevaman

I think (hope?) you're being facetious but MTB maintenance is a lot more involved than for roadies. The bangs, knocks, shakes and rattles all need attending to and the trail crud needs constant removal. We have one (and usually two) shocks to maintain, a higher chance of wiping out, and bearings and bushes to keep an eye on. Drivetrains get performance-affectingly filthy after most rides. Things shake loose. Rocks and logs love to strip spoke threads and smash our wheels out of true. I could go on. I hate the feeling of riding my bike when I've not given it a once-over beforehand because I know a failure could be catastrophic for me OR the bike.

Is this a reason why Jimmy farthings are so popular? Generally just hop on and go?

Speaking of, what kind of things should get a once-over after a bike has been sitting for a long time? I haven't ridden my cheap Fuji MTB in almost a year but I recently saw that they're gonna open up a skills park in town and I'd like to give it a try. The bike has been in a covered shed for that time so it hasn't been exposed to rain/snow/sunlight, but it's still been sitting. The only things I can think of that would've changed are tires deflating and surface rust on parts that may have been exposed to crud/water. The forks are cheap and it's got cable actuation on the discs. I just don't want to land from a jump and have something fail.

danowat

Banned
Speaking of, what kind of things should get a once-over after a bike has been sitting for a long time? I haven't ridden my cheap Fuji MTB in almost a year but I recently saw that they're gonna open up a skills park in town and I'd like to give it a try. The bike has been in a covered shed for that time so it hasn't been exposed to rain/snow/sunlight, but it's still been sitting. The only things I can think of that would've changed are tires deflating and surface rust on parts that may have been exposed to crud/water. The forks are cheap and it's got cable actuation on the discs. I just don't want to land from a jump and have something fail.

My race bike hadn't been ridden for over a year till last week, all that needed was tyres pumping up.

Depends on wear before going into storage. After a year in a covered environment I suspect it will just be some tire inflation, at most maybe a tire or tube dried up a bit but I doubt it.

Is this a reason why Jimmy farthings are so popular? Generally just hop on and go?

I'm pretty bad with maintenance. I only really do cleanings, tires/tubes and brake adjusting at home. I want to learn more with repairing but I just don't trust myself to not fuck something up. Once the season is over here I should ask my bike shop owning friend if I can shadow for a couple weekends to just learn some stuff.

In my experience road bike maintenance is just as important as MTB, muddy rides excluded. Then again I don't live in a Southern European wonderland of silky smooth asphalt.

The real reason you wanna ride one is because they go hella fast. Like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Mascot

After a year? Depending on the environmental conditions:
Open/close any QR skewers, seat post clamps etc. Check for tightness and rust.
Check spokes for tension and rust, especially around the nipples. Check wheels are true (if spokes have rusted through, wheels might not be true).
Check for rust, then oil the chain.
Check the indexing of the gears.
Lube everything.
Pump tyres up and leave overnight then check them again.
Lube your brake cables, pump the brakes several times and feel for any grinding that could signify rusted cables.
Pump the forks up and down a few times (they'll likely be stiff at first), check and reset the preload if necessary.
Check lateral play on the wheel bearings, cranks, bottom bracket.
Give the bike a quick but thorough local shakedown then recheck everything.
Listen carefully for creaks and rattles, act upon them.

I found a 150km gravel circuit that's super cleverly designed, lots of it in deep forest but never far from public transport if your bike fails. Totes going to ride it before summer. Gonna try fitting gravel tyres to the Bianchi, something like Challenge Strada Bianca.

It even has over 2k of ascent somehow, very scary.

Ha... first proper trail out with my nephew was a complete disaster. Since last time we went out he's stopped playing sports and has lost basically any semblance of fitness.

I did a loop of Verderers in the FoD in 33m. My loop with him took 2h 23m.

He was crazy dramatic about how hard it was too. Like his world was ending, and his legs were about to fall off, and his arms burst into flames. When he decided he was tired (which happened about a hundred times) he'd slam on the brakes (didn't make much sense to me) and just slump over the bike.

By the final section it was all I could do not to piss myself laughing because of all the mewling and groaning noises he was making even on fairly flat stuff.

I found a 150km gravel circuit that's super cleverly designed, lots of it in deep forest but never far from public transport if your bike fails. Totes going to ride it before summer. Gonna try fitting gravel tyres to the Bianchi, something like Challenge Strada Bianca.

It even has over 2k of ascent somehow, very scary.

This sounds magical!

Hey Bici-GAF, soon I'll be a poor student again and would like recs on beater bicycles. Just something that does the job and can take it for a couple of years with proper maintenance. Thanks in advance for the help.

Mascot

Ha... first proper trail out with my nephew was a complete disaster. Since last time we went out he's stopped playing sports and has lost basically any semblance of fitness.

I did a loop of Verderers in the FoD in 33m. My loop with him took 2h 23m.

He was crazy dramatic about how hard it was too. Like his world was ending, and his legs were about to fall off, and his arms burst into flames. When he decided he was tired (which happened about a hundred times) he'd slam on the brakes (didn't make much sense to me) and just slump over the bike.

By the final section it was all I could do not to piss myself laughing because of all the mewling and groaning noises he was making even on fairly flat stuff.

Is that the same chap who came out with us at Slade last summer and had to stop due to fatigue? Sounds like he hates mountain biking. Tell him I'll take his Canyon off his hands for a decent price.

:p

I hate riding with people of significantly lesser fitness and ability. One mate is currently in a huff because we didn't invite him down to Swinley last weekend, but it would have been a disaster. He rarely rides so has no bike fitness and thinks he's a lot more skilled than he is. He's had session-ending crashes at least four times in the past when we've been out as a group and it fucks the day up for everyone. He also doesn't maintain his bike at all so mechanical failures are a constant threat.

I hate riding with people of significantly lesser fitness and ability. One mate is currently in a huff because we didn't invite him down to Swinley last weekend, but it would have been a disaster. He rarely rides so has no bike fitness and thinks he's a lot more skilled than he is. He's had session-ending crashes at least four times in the past when we've been out as a group and it fucks the day up for everyone. He also doesn't maintain his bike at all so mechanical failures are a constant threat.

I think this entirely depends on the ride. Though last year we had someone who hadn't ridden in close to three months show up for a long ride (~120KM). He came with no money, no food, a single bottle of water and drank a pot of coffee before the ride. He refused to eat the whole way out. We had to force him to eat something but by that point he was already done for. It easily extended our day 2-3 hours. I was livid and so was the guy who organized the ride.

Is that the same chap who came out with us at Slade last summer and had to stop due to fatigue? Sounds like he hates mountain biking. Tell him I'll take his Canyon off his hands for a decent price.

:p

No, actually he's come on some margin of late. Whilst I was dragging my other nephew around he actually did two loops of Verderers, and with a pretty respectable time.

Regarding my other nephew. Got this from my sister today.

He woke up crying last night in pain, not sure he will be able to walk for a few days.

***cough***pussy***cough***

Mascot

I think this entirely depends on the ride.

Oh, definitely - but when we hit the trails we like to pound around them for three hours at a good lick, and it really breaks your flow when you're constantly stopping for someone to catch up (or faff with their bike, which they should have done BEFORE THEY FUCKING LEFT THE HOUSE).

For 'days out' exploring it's not as much as an issue, but still grinds if the person in question insists on dictating pace, does nothing to improve their fitness or technique, and does nothing to maintain their bike.

Changing the subject, I found my parking ticket from Swinley with a bike name jotted down (that one of the mechanics recommended I investigate while I was admiring their fleet of Whytes). It was the 2017 T-130 C RS that you mentioned a few days ago, PT. Jeepers, this really does seem to tick all the boxes:

UK designed for UK trails
Carbon frame, alloy rear
1x12 drivetrain
Boost dropouts
Pike RC/Monarch Debonair suspension
internal cable routing
sexy as a motherfucker
£3,600

T-130_20C_20RS_1024x1024.jpg

The few reviews so far have been amazing. I'm rapidly disappearing down the rabbit hole with this one, trying to justify a closer look (which would be fatal). My 'not-so-local' LBS has 0% finance over 24 months as well, with free annual servicing.

Fuuuuuuuck.

Mascot

Yeah, it's definitely an amazing bit of kit.

I'm still trying to work out how it gained a kg over last year's model though.

That seems like an awful lot - like typo levels of awful-lotness.

Factory Jackson weighed their 2016 CRS at 13kg (XL, with pedals). I can't seem to find equivalent weights for the 2017.

(LBS have none in stock, but are getting a large on 22/8).

Mascot

I assume the new wheels are heavier. They're 30mm vs 21mm.

And maybe a bit of frame strengthening if potential weak areas were identified last year - who knows.

It's a wonderful nightmare looking at potential new bikes. I go from totally justifying the expense one minute to chastising myself the next. Flip-flop. Flip-flop.

I'm ok with my mtbs at the moment, which is weird. A while back I wanted all sorts of upgrades, now I'm just thinking a new saddle once the old one gets filled with water because there's a gash in the cover.

I'm ok with my mtbs at the moment, which is weird. A while back I wanted all sorts of upgrades, now I'm just thinking a new saddle once the old one gets filled with water because there's a gash in the cover.

I thought that with my current bike, built last year, but now I want to convert it to a swoop bar set up and buy the titanium version of my frame.

trebbble

UK designed for UK trails
Carbon frame, alloy rear
1x12 drivetrain
Boost dropouts
Pike RC/Monarch Debonair suspension
internal cable routing
sexy as a motherfucker
£3,600

T-130_20C_20RS_1024x1024.jpg

The few reviews so far have been amazing. I'm rapidly disappearing down the rabbit hole with this one, trying to justify a closer look (which would be fatal). My 'not-so-local' LBS has 0% finance over 24 months as well, with free annual servicing.

Fuuuuuuuck.

I've heard nothing but good things about this bike, so I think you should go out and try one posthaste :)

chifanpoe

Heh I remember those well. (Super V's / Ravens) I had a friend in college who raved about how good those were. He finally saved up enough to get one and the frame cracked the 3rd or 4th time he went out. Ended up going through 4 frames in less than 3 months before getting his money back.

Also this mess:
DSCN1105Large.jpg

All this talk about new bikes and there was one of my mates bombing around Swindley on this twenty-year-old relic...

cannondale_zps75os8uzt.jpg

Jesus, it still has old Dart/Smoke tires! I used to have an old Cannondale with a headshock like that. I had like 1.5 inches of harsh fork travel!

Teggy

I'm up in northern Michigan this week for vacation and doing century training. That 10 degree difference and lake breeze makes all the difference. I did 54 miles today with one short water stop and could have gone a little more. 2 weeks ago I did the same distance at home and took 2 long water stops, an additional food stop an 2 stops just to get my heart rate down. Plus I felt like I was going to die at the end.

I'm planning my first 100km ride ever for Friday or Saturday up here.

I'm up in northern Michigan this week for vacation and doing century training. That 10 degree difference and lake breeze makes all the difference. I did 54 miles today with one short water stop and could have gone a little more. 2 weeks ago I did the same distance at home and took 2 long water stops, an additional food stop an 2 stops just to get my heart rate down. Plus I felt like I was going to die at the end.

You should, in theory, be able to get by with just two bottles and a few snacks. Enjoy the time on the bike and don't feel like you need to hammer it the entire time.

HTupolev

"Water stops"? Not that taking breaks is bad or anything, but if you're having to take stops where water intake is the primary purpose, you should be drinking more as you ride. The only times you should stop on account of water are if the bottles need filling or you need emptying.

But, if you can do 54 miles and feel like you've still got gas in the tank, a metric century should be no problem. Even in a deep bonk, people are capable of making half-decent distances at very slow speeds when they're too delirious to realize that they should call for help commit to it!

Teggy

You should, in theory, be able to get by with just two bottles and a few snacks. Enjoy the time on the bike and don't feel like you need to hammer it the entire time.

"Water stops"? Not that taking breaks is bad or anything, but if you're having to take stops where water intake is the primary purpose, you should be drinking more as you ride. The only times you should stop on account of water are if the bottles need filling or you need emptying.

But, if you can do 54 miles and feel like you've still got gas in the tank, a metric century should be no problem. Even in a deep bonk, people are capable of making half-decent distances at very slow speeds when they're too delirious to realize that they should call for help commit to it!

By "water stop" I mean a stop at a store to fill up my empty bottles. I try to drink one bottle per hour, which gets me 30 miles on 2 bottles. I try to stop in the 25-30 mark to buy more water/gatorade.

That ride 2 weeks ago it was in the 90s and I was just getting exhausted so I was occasionally just stopping to rest and was drinking more than usual so I made an extra stop at a store.

Mascot

I've heard nothing but good things about this bike, so I think you should go out and try one posthaste :)

This bike appears to be selling like hot cakes right now so nobody has stock of L/XL sizes. A shop twenty miles away is supposed to be ringing me in around three weeks to test a Large that has been ordered by another customer. Having said that, last night I was bombing around the woods with a huge shit-eating grin on my face and had to question my reasons for looking at new bikes when I love my current one so much - and that's with brakes that need burping, gears that need tweaking and a bottom bracket that needs replacing.

Like I said earlier: flip-flop.

Jesus, it still has old Dart/Smoke tires! I used to have an old Cannondale with a headshock like that. I had like 1.5 inches of harsh fork travel!

Yeah, those tyres are relatively unused, but old. When I used an old Vetta Kaos Theory a few years ago (still my all-time favourite tyre) the rubber starting delaminating, which could easily have turned nasty.

Decided to give the hardtail a bit of exercise today.

Good man!

Mascot

Mini rant: fucking IDIOT DOG OWNERS.

Disclaimer: not all dog owners are idiots. Just the ones I seem to meet.

As if having to dodge them, their dogs, their dog shit and those stupid fucking extendable leads on clearly-marked cycle paths isn't bad enough (Hey! I'm on a bike! On a cycle path! You are standing there in the middle of the cycle path watching me approach and you are making no fucking attempt to control your fucking dog, reel it in, or remove yourself from said cycle path! You're a fucking mouth-breathing cunt! Hope you die in a ditch!) I got chased THREE FUCKING TIMES in different places by the same big dumb dog out on the trails yesterday, and each time this fucking animal kept trying to stick his nose in my spokes and dive under my front wheel while snapping and barking it's head off. And each fucking time the owners did precisely fuck-all to control it. After the third time I stopped, went back and calmly confronted the owners (a man, and I'm guessing his wife and their kid), asking if they were worried that their uncontrolled dog might injure itself or somebody else. I just got blank stares and scowls. The sense of entitlement was tangible. I was completely wasting my breath.

Fucking idiots.

Aaaaaaaand.... relax.

/rant.

For me, it's always the ones with the pointless little pocket dogs that are the worst.

I wouldn't feel more than a small bump if I let my bike just roll over the fuckers.

Mikeside

Bike shop say they're still waiting for the riser bars to come in.
I might not get it by the weekend.

God fucking dammit, I've been waiting ages :(

Teggy

Flexible leashes aren't just annoying, they are dangerous. The fact that people get their fingers ripped off using them is only one of their downsides.

Mascot

@Mascot: http://www.ibikeride.com/index.php?...fan-caerphilly-swinley-freeride-qecp-and-more

I've seen this happening a lot lately. Hopefully it doesn't happen to the cheeky singletrack you took me on.

Fucking nanny state..!

I've been a bit worried lately at Slade because a couple of new fences have been erected on little cut-throughs that are obviously used by mountain bikers. It breaks the flow a couple of times as you have to dismount and climb over them. I keep telling myself it's to keep motocross and quad bikes out (quite rightly, imo) but I really hope it's not the start of de-MTBing the trails.

You better get your ass back down here stat, PT.

Top Bottom