• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Addnan

I will take a look at those Wellgo pedals cheers.

I got a pair of 4 season Conti delivered today and one of them the fucking bead is ripped out, so pissed. How the fuck did that happen. Thought these things are hand made in Germany.

Addnan

Didn't even for a second consider that could be a thing, had opened up my other tyres already. I had some unopened 4000SII sitting around which i hurriedly opened up to make sure they are ok.

NuHJrAv.jpg

HTupolev

"Hey HTupolev, we've got an old bike that we're not sure what to do with, you should tune it up and figure it out."

"Uh, okay."

*Shortly thereafter*

GlPoqQW.jpg

rzgK2WZ.gif

Mascot

"Hey HTupolev, we've got an old bike that we're not sure what to do with, you should tune it up and figure it out."

"Uh, okay."

*Shortly thereafter*

Be careful, you'll be putting your balls in mortal danger if you sit on that thing.

In other news, i finally got Relive.cc working. Turns out it was linked to a Strava profile that I didn't even know I had, one created when I accidentally clicked a 'sign up with Facebook' link, probably. Anyway, the guys at Relive were super helpful in sorting it out and I should automatically get videos of every future Strava upload now. I even told them I'm off the bike for a while so they dug out one of my recent local rides and processed it.

https://www.relive.cc/view/802050182

PT, I imagine you'd find this a good snapshot of your various expeditions - it's more interesting and informative than the 2D Strava animation, especially if there's good elevation during the ride. It's a one-time one-click thing to link your account, and that's it. The videos get automatically emailed to you a few hours after the ride.

Nothing like a Christmas present from I to me. Merlin Cycles has some Kinesis Maxlight mtb wheels for almost half off, couldn't resist ordering a set. I hope they have a loud freehub.

Fucking hell. Was great to start with, then it ended up being one of the grimmest rides I've ever had. Was seriously losing my sense of humour towards the end of it.

I was having to pedal hard downhill in some cases just to get any sort of speed. Entire second half of the ride was into a gale force headwind. =/

Mascot

Fucking hell. Was great to start with, then it ended up being one of the grimmest rides I've ever had. Was seriously losing my sense of humour towards the end of it.

I was having to pedal hard downhill in some cases just to get any sort of speed. Entire second half of the ride was into a gale force headwind. =/
Show us the video!

frontieruk

I was lucky with my 40km ride yesterday, my Jimmy rode itself, if I didn't have to keep it on two wheels I could of dozed off, was a bit to sunny on the return leg as I didn't take sun glasses as it was overcast when I left.

8BIZluP.jpg

Didn't see the point in getting the bike in shot, but this is the setting to Howards Way, and the pub they use is in the shot.

Thoughts on building up a bike versus going all stock?

If I go with the bike I've been demoing, and liking, it's going to be around 2K

It's less backpacking-geometry oriented sibling can be had for around $500 for the frame.

I'm wondering if I can use that other $1500, or less, to build up a better option.

Mascot

I was lucky with my 40km ride yesterday, my Jimmy rode itself, if I didn't have to keep it on two wheels I could of dozed off, was a bit to sunny on the return leg as I didn't take sun glasses as it was overcast when I left.

8BIZluP.jpg

Didn't see the point in getting the bike in shot, but this is the setting to Howards Way, and the pub they use is in the shot.
Nice!

You might do well in the sales, have a look around and price up all the appropriate bits.

From what I've seen, you're usually a bit worse off in the pocket by going with a self build, though obviously no compromise on parts that way.

Trails have been perfect all week, and I finally got to hit them up today. Hopefully they will be empty tomorrow morning as well.

New bike has been great, got to get used to the wider bars, felt a bit harder to turn on the tight tuns, also coming from a shimano shifter I need to get used to the sram levers.

ptCCaqKh.jpg

Merry Christmas!

Sadly no cycling today for me. Off out for a hike with the missus. Though I am tempted to get a sneaky hour in later if I can.

chronos86

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask technical questions about bikes. But its the only bike forum I could find in search.

My rim bent on my bike.I got a new rim.I figured I could just take the old cassette off and put it on the new rim.I looked online how to do it, watched videos, it will not come off.so I figured I just buy a new one. I'm trying figure out exactly what to buy . I need one like this.

Edit: okay I guess it's a freewheel I'm looking for.not a cassette.

iuft4f8.jpg

Aap1oXP.jpg

HTupolev

Yep, that's a freewheel. If you've got the right tool on it and it's refusing to budge, it's because it's been torqued on very tight. Freewheels stay put on their threading because the drive direction is also the threading direction, so pedaling tightens the freewheel to the hub. You'll just have to use a big wrench to apply tons of torque, that's how this goes.

If you want to just get a new freewheel? Basically any modern six-speed freewheel will likely be compatible with your drivetrain in terms of spacing and threading. The biggest thing to avoid is a freewheel where the largest cog is bigger than your rear derailleur can handle; you can possibly look up your rear derailleur to see what its max cog capacity is, or just choose a new freewheel where the big cog has the same tooth count as your old one.

If you don't move the spoke protector (the round plate that sites between the freewheel and the spokes, also frequently called a "dork disk") on your old wheel to the new wheel, make doubly sure that the low limit screw on the rear derailleur is set up to not allow the derailleur to move beyond the big cog to where it could drop the chain into the spokes. Dropping the chain into the spokes can sometimes turn into a pretty gnarly failure.

Teggy

I got shoe covers and thermal pants. Now all I need is my full finger gloves and balaclava and I can wait until spring and take a ride ;P

broony

I did a training ride for that sportive I signed up for next June, doing a few hills from the route. On two of the steep ones I had to stop for a minute where my legs were fine but I'd completely run out of breath. Anyone got any training I can do to improve that? Is it the vo2 max stuff I need to look at?

I did a training ride for that sportive I signed up for next June, doing a few hills from the route. On two of the steep ones I had to stop for a minute where my legs were fine but I'd completely run out of breath. Anyone got any training I can do to improve that? Is it the vo2 max stuff I need to look at?

Keep riding hills
Shift into a higher gear to spin your legs a little more

Stick on a bigger cassette or a smaller ring at the front. When you can get up at reasonabe cadence (75+) then put the original cassette / whatever back on and try again.

At the end of the day, the only real way to get better at doing hills, is doing hills. Turbo training can help, but it can't truly replicate the agony.

Unrelated, really nice day today. Lovely weather... though sadly all these miles are catching up with me and I find I've got very little to give.

Add cassette lockring to the list of things I've broken when putting a bike together. I'm blaming the instructions on eThirteen's expander ring. The box said "remove 15t or 17t" when in fact it's dependent on your expander ring size.

But thanks to this I've learned what the difference is between 11t and 12t lockrings. Also that Chris King lockrings cost 20 euros.

I ended up ordering a red anodized lockring from ebay for 7 euros. Everything matches now, except for a bit of blue on the stickers around the hubs, but taking those off is just too hard.

Finally got to hit up some mountain biking trails. Did the fun (downhill) bit of Gorlech and the full Derwen trails at Brechfa. This preceded and followed by some seriously big hills to get to and from my cottage.

Tried giving it full beans but my back was so painful after a while that I could only pedal standing up. :(

Still, great to be back on the trails. :)

HTupolev

Man, the world of wheel building sure is overwhelming. So, double butted or straight spokes, which are sturdier?
In terms of the resulting wheel, typically double-butted.

Spokes work by distributing load to neighboring spokes. To do this well, they need to be under substantial tension; imagine trying to build a wheel where the spokes were loose pieces of yarn, only the piece currently on top would be taking up the load and it would be getting massively stressed.

Wider spokes are capable of being stronger, but there's a catch: they also need to be under higher raw tension in order to adequately distribute load. This is because thicker spokes are less elastic, so you need more tension to pull them to where it takes a lot of deflection before they'll go slack (therefore causing them to stop distributing load). So, if you build a wheel with wider spokes, you also need a beefier rim that can handle more highly tensioned spoke nipples. If you take a lightweight rim made for 14g spokes and decide you'll make a tougher wheel by building it up with thick 12g spokes, the end result can actually be weaker in addition to heavier; adequate tension can result in issues like rim cracking at the spoke nipples, inadequate tension can make it prone to failures like broken spokes.

Double-butted spokes are a clever solution: they're thick on the ends which is where failures usually occur, but they're thinner over their middle sections, making them more elastic and capable of distributing load better at a given tension. So they end up being lighter and result in a stronger wheel than a straight-gauge spoke whose thickness is the same as the double-butted spoke's end sections.

The penalties of double-butted are:
1-They cost more.
2-It's a bit more difficult to build up and true wheels with double-butted spokes. They have reduced stiffness with respect to twisting, so they can accumulate twist more easily when the nipples are rotated. Mechanics have to be more careful to over-turn and then back off, so that the spokes are all passively untwisted.

Mascot

Was going to go against doctor's orders and risk the foot with a quick up 'n' down at Cwmcarn tomorrow morning but I've somehow managed to knacker my back. Been stuck in a chair for the past couple of days, slowly going insane.

Edit: totally non-biking related, but remember those vintage letterpress blocks spread out on the table when you came down for a MTB ride recently, PT? I finally got around to making them into Xmas prezzie lamps. NB, this is not why i have a bad back.

They look awesome. :)

Unrelated, have finished my adventuring. Am so broken now, have never done so much riding over consecutive days like that.

untitled1ya1m.png

Been a pretty good year on the whole given my injuries. I would have liked to have worked on my technical skills more, but it's just not the sort of thing you can really risk when you're trying to heal up breaks etc.

indexf4jgm.png

Onwards and upwards for 2017!

HTupolev

Oof! No injuries to you or your bike I hope?
Bike looks fine besides the front fender struts being slightly bent, although I might want to replace the spoke that jammed the stick just to make sure. I took a bruise and a bit of scuffing but am mostly fine. I was only going 15mph at the time, and the surface was way too slick for the wheel to lock against the pavement, so I basically just got plopped down and slid as the bike slipped away beneath me.

I am trying to get back from injury, but that's separate; tweaked something in my back a couple weeks ago. Fortunately my fall today didn't seem to exacerbate that.

Falling on snow is the best case, even a little bit does wonders to soften the blow. I like the pic, looks like you had a friend with you who had to swerve a bit to avoid joining in the crash.

Mascot

Bike looks fine besides the front fender struts being slightly bent, although I might want to replace the spoke that jammed the stick just to make sure. I took a bruise and a bit of scuffing but am mostly fine. I was only going 15mph at the time, and the surface was way too slick for the wheel to lock against the pavement, so I basically just got plopped down and slid as the bike slipped away beneath me.

One of my earliest memories is as a very young kid, playing in front of the house with a thick bamboo stick. A man went past on a bicycle and for some reason (Science experiment? Curiosity? Mischief?) I jammed the bamboo in his front spokes then watched in horror (delight?) as he went flying over the handlebars. I remember getting a telling off from him but that was that.

bosseye

Finally got myself a new bike just before Christmas, bit the bullet and ordered a YT Industries Capra AL. Delivered, built, drooled over...took it out for a first ride on some gentle local trails (and I mean real simple stuff)....and fucked up a simple jump and fell flat on my face. Very minor scrapes and bruises, but I've definitely yanked a rib muscle (intercostal?) or something. Took a couple of weeks to kick in,but it's seriously painful at times. Hurts when I sneeze/cough/breathe deep, but its not all the time and I'm assuming it's not a cracked rib or something as it took time to develop. Ah well.

Despite the rib pain (which bizarrely didn't bother me at all on the day), I got to do some proper trails on it at Bikepark Wales and it's amazing! I'm in love with it. Ate up all the red trails with ease, it's a blast on the blues, such a confidence inspiring bike. Absolutely rock solid, it's just my ability level holding me back now so time to refine my downhill techniques.

Look at it, it's gawjus. Also £600 cheaper than the equivalent spec giant or Whyte. It's a £1700 bike but I've had numerous people mistake it for the carbon equivalent and some bloke thought it was worth £3k so it obviously looks the part. The forks and shock don't have the white Rockshox logo on as shown in the photo, it's the black logo instead so it looks pretty smart.

Capra_AL_gelb_Seite_web_720x600.jpg

Now I have a decent bike I decided I need some better gear in the sales. I'm doing more riskier stuff on it so I bought some kneepads. Given the rib issues I might also grab some chest/spine armour. I've pensioned off my old shorts and bought some proper mtb ones. Next up a new helmet (undecided on full face or just a proper trail one) and I might treat myself to a proper cliché mtb jersey, all bright colours and covered in fox logos or whatever. I'll properly blend in with the crowd then, haha.

Top Bottom