• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

To be honest, not at the moment. A lot of the trail is heavily rutted and use right now would just make it worse. I'll keep investigating to find better ways down though (I'm starting to put together some pretty good loops).

This is what it used to be like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho7xXCIrCU0

Looks like fun.

Chest-cam MTB footage cracks me up. It looks like he's doing a long continuous wheelie. :p

I actually stopped carrying my gopro as I realised that I never watch any of it back.

That's the reason I cancelled a GoPro purchase a couple of years ago - I realised I'd probably use it a few times but that the novelty would quickly wear off and it would just sit there, unused, filling me with buyer's remorse on a daily basis. Trail centres should hire these things by the half-day, if they don't already.

Mascot

I use it for my weight lifting, for form checks, and that's it. lol

Yeah, you might want to disable the auto-upload function there buddy...

giphy.gif

That's in part why the forestry commission shuts this sort of thing down.

A little surprised they haven't flat out destroyed the ramps though.

Mascot

How is no one liable for injuries on that thing?

It should be the case that liability is assumed by whoever is daft enough to ride over them. The fucking Nanny State has a lot to answer for, and it's getting worse. Everyone is shit-scared of being sued these days.

frontieruk

It should be the case that liability is assumed by whoever is daft enough to ride over them. The fucking Nanny State has a lot to answer for, and it's getting worse. Everyone is shit-scared of being sued these days.

They should copy car parks and have signs all over saying

Anyone riding this track does so at their own risk, the forestry commission accepts no responsibility or liability for injuries incurred while riding this course.

Teggy

Ok, I need to fill up my wishlist with a bunch of $50 and under bike accessories so my relatives will stop asking me what I want for Christmas. Lay it on me.

Mascot

They should copy car parks and have signs all over saying

Anyone riding this track does so at their own risk, the forestry commission accepts no responsibility or liability for injuries incurred while riding this course.

That would be far too sensible for local councils and forestry commissions. it would remove their ability to bulldoze things the moment some numbskull had a crash.

Ok, I need to fill up my wishlist with a bunch of $50 and under bike accessories so my relatives will stop asking me what I want for Christmas. Lay it on me.

A subscription to a mountain bike magazine..?

Mascot

You could always pool a couple of prezzies and spring for one of these - I really don't know how I've managed so long without one. Bike maintenance (and other DIY) is so much easier now. More time spent doing, less time spent rummaging.

box_zpswl8bmwsj.jpg

Good multi-tool (crankbrothers has good ones)
Lezyne hand pump with digital gauge
Good floor pump
New tires
Good bags (I much like Fairweather)
Trainerroad sub
Zwift sub

Mascot

10 degrees C at dawn this morning up on the bluff. That's amazingly warm for mid-December, never mind first thing in the morning. I was cooking by time I got to Slade then enjoyed a pot of coffee in the garden back home. Weird weather rocks!

141216_zpsxkm79fw9.jpg

Stopped home for lunch and this thing had been delivered. Was just able to put it together quickly, I'll need to set sag and remove decals and reflectors tonight, as well as installing a Race Face narrow wide single chain ring. Dropper should arrive on Friday.

Was close to getting a Commencal Meta v4, and was looking at a Specialized Camber 650b, but I was able to get an amazing deal on the Diamondback Catch 1, and I had to go with it. Not a fan of the cable management, but for the price I think this will be a good intro to full suspension bikes.

Of course it's cloudy and raining today....
i3GxPUdh.jpg

hbFR11ph.jpg

Stopped home for lunch and this thing had been delivered. Was just able to put it together quickly, I'll need to set sag and remove decals and reflectors tonight, as well as installing a Race Face narrow wide single chain ring. Dropper should arrive on Friday.

Was close to getting a Commencal Meta v4, and was looking at a Specialized Camber 650b, but I was able to get an amazing deal on the Diamondback Catch 1, and I had to go with it. Not a fan of the cable management, but for the price I think this will be a good intro to full suspension bikes.

Of course it's cloudy and raining today....
i3GxPUdh.jpg

hbFR11ph.jpg

Congratulations! I have a Release 1, very similar to your bike just with non + 27.5 wheels. I love it! The only issues I have had are that the rear derailleur hanger gets loose and the causes a creak. Just take the wheel off and loctite the hanger bolts to solve that. I also had issues with the rear hub, it would lock up on me, but Novatec and Diamondback were great and they rebuilt my wheel with an upgraded wheel. I was an early adopter some hopefully they figured out that issue already for yours. Going tubeless also made a big difference! Enjoy the bike!

HTupolev

Oh wow, WTF is wrong with the market for "sixteen inch" round objects? It's like there are multiple competing BSDs but nobody wants to talk about it. Absolutely terrifying.

HTupolev

Just for clarification... I'm assuming he means with Loctite threadlocker rather than superglue. :D

If he doesn't, I certainly do.
Use superglue if you want to make it retro. When you rip the hanger off, it means the frame's life as a multi-speed bike is up and it's time for a fixie conversion.

HTupolev

I found some! Link.

I'm a total noob on this, can I fit my gears on those type of wheels!?
There's a possibility that you could thread your freewheel onto the hub, but the wheel won't be spaced correctly for it.

Also, the hub has a coaster brake, which is incompatible with derailleur gearing.

Also, I'm not convinced that that's a particularly good wheel, unless your only priority is "it's shiny."

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
There's a possibility that you could thread your freewheel onto the hub, but the wheel won't be spaced correctly for it.

Also, the hub has a coaster brake, which is incompatible with derailleur gearing.

Also, I'm not convinced that that's a particularly good wheel, unless your only priority is "it's shiny."
I was looking at the number of spokes...

HTupolev

I was looking at the number of spokes...
Quality wheels typically don't need huge numbers of spokes in order for the structure to adequately distribute load. Take a look at high-end racing wheels; an Enve SES 7.8 wheelset costs several thousand dollars and has 20 spokes on the front wheel and 24 in back. Generic entry-level wheels have traditionally tended to use 36 spokes, with wheels for tandems sometimes being 48.

More relevantly, though, the "lowrider" title means that the wheel you're looking at is specifically designed for bicycles styled after motorcycles, to build things like this out of:

VG1cKiS.jpg

In what particular way(s) are you trying to improve over your current wheels?

So I was able to get the Race Face 32T narrow wide on it pretty easy, looks much better, and most trails here in Houston only have short climbs so hopefully I'll be ok.

0EyvTCRh.jpg

3nVN9brh.jpg

Thinking of dropping it off at a bike shop to get a tune up, because the wheels aren't true, and just want to get it ready.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Quality wheels typically don't need huge numbers of spokes in order for the structure to adequately distribute load. Take a look at high-end racing wheels; an Enve SES 7.8 wheelset costs several thousand dollars and has 20 spokes on the front wheel and 24 in back. Generic entry-level wheels have traditionally tended to use 36 spokes, with wheels for tandems sometimes being 48.

More relevantly, though, the "lowrider" title means that the wheel you're looking at is specifically designed for bicycles styled after motorcycles, to build things like this out of:

http://i.imgur.com/VG1cKiS.jpg

In what particular way(s) are you trying to improve over your current wheels?
I need them to be more resistan. I have broken two spocks already. Im a heavy rider.

Mascot

Looks like a standard seatpost to me.

Ah, tru dat. I can see it now on PC. Couldn't tell on mobile. Phew - crisis averted.

Man, I'm fucking glad I went out early this morning. It's bastard pissing down now, which was not forecast. The dawn light hitting the side of the bridge was lovely.

dawn_zpshgqik4tk.jpg

Top Bottom