• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I'm fairly certain it's not the first time they've done that (they may mention it, I've not watched the vid).

Edit 1 - Yeah, they've missed a trick here. Would have been better getting some lactate sensors because heart rate and power doesn't really take into consideration the muscular requirements of technical terrain.

Edit 2 - That's my race MTB, though I don't have the stupid upside down fork.

Mascot

i knew it was going to be that video before even clicking on it, lol

I thought it was going to be that one of the mountain bikers in Ireland who ride past some bloke on his knees smashing his girlfriend's back doors in. I think about fifty people sent me a link to that one yesterday.

There's no joy in running.

Literally. I don't think I've ever seen a runner smiling.

What is there to smile about when you know you'll need replacement knees before you are fifty?

Christ... I just had to re-torque about 30 different bolts. I think about 2 of them were about where they should have been.

Thanks random factory worker!

Mascot

Bollocks! I've blistered my palms to buggery building a shed this afternoon. That's gonna smart during tomorrow's wank ride.

broony

Was supposed to be doing my first 100 mile sportive today, but prolapsed a disc in my spine two months ago and haven't been on my bike since. Somewhat gutted but I can take some consolation in it being a bastard hot day today and it would have been horrific.

Addnan

A power meter has made climbing so much more manageable and enjoyable. I didn't realise how much I was mashing at the start of climbs. I knew I was probably going in too hard at the start of climbs, but didn't quite realise just how much I was going into the red so soon. Heart rate monitor is pretty cool too. Not sure if I should be scared seeing it sit at 190bpm on a climb.

Addnan

I run sometimes, but I'm not sure if I ever described it as fun. Rather just something I force myself to do once in a while.

I went cycling in the capital of Finland.

Bc1Yygp.jpg

LDGVwGJ.jpg

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Guys (any gal?), after 8 months I started cycling I'm in the best shape of my life! But, now that my muscles and cardio seem to be on semi-decent shape... I sweat a lot after a ride, even a commuting one (~10Km). I didn't had this problem before, I usually got tired and slowed down before that happened :p... Does sweating ever get "better" or I should just slow down? :(

Some of us just can't deal with heat. I go to pieces if it gets to hot, I can't exercise or cycle for shit.

Which is funny really, because this weekend I was at mountain mayhem (24 hour MTB race) and it was SCORCHIO (by British standards). Really, really struggled.

Addnan

Sweat is just part of it.. but when commuting should go slower and keep a change of clothes.

Yesterday it was about 28-30C while I was riding, sweat started to pour pretty quickly. Was only a 60km ride but felt so much longer by the end of it and in the evening I was just dead.

What PSI do you guys keep on your road bike tires (well tubes I guess)?

I know I should keep it at like 100 psi but I get a bit nervous it's going to pop or something... so I normally stop at 80 psi. Only just took my bike out from a long time in storage to get riding again.

For whatever reason I have some anxiety about things popping (I hate it when ppl pop balloons). Am I being too cautious or might an old tube spontaneously blow up at 100 psi?

Addnan

What PSI do you guys keep on your road bike tires (well tubes I guess)?

I know I should keep it at like 100 psi but I get a bit nervous it's going to pop or something... so I normally stop at 80 psi. Only just took my bike out from a long time in storage to get riding again.

For whatever reason I have some anxiety about things popping (I hate it when ppl pop balloons). Am I being too cautious or might an old tube spontaneously blow up at 100 psi?

What size are you tyres.

No, 23 + 25mm tyres will easily handle 100psi. They won't pop. Running lower PSI risks 'popping' your tubes though, from pinch flats.

Looking up tires again because I'm ready to move off my current set. While I love them as a tire they're just way too much for my needs. Problem is trying to find 700x35mm tubeless compatible tires is impossible. What's funny is my ideal tire is a 650b, but that would also mean a new set of rims. I did find a few options in the 32mm range but I'd have to hope for them to fill out. Anyone know of a good way of telling what the width would be based on the rim?

Mascot

Protip: never bail on a jump at the last second because there's a fluffy little bunny sitting in your landing patch unless you like the feeling of flying otb.

Mascot

I felt OK after the crash yesterday and thought I might have gotten away with it, but nope - 'day after syndrome' has kicked in nicely with a gammy swollen knee and full-body stiffness.

Bah!

Addnan

Well fuck. No tubeless for me. Ended up picking up colleagues 404 for a good price few days ago. Couldn't justify the extra cost to Reynolds for tubeless. He couldn't justify them, I wanted them, so deal done.

img_9980z3s4y.jpg

Mascot

Well fuck. No tubeless for me. Ended up picking up colleagues 404 for a good price few days ago. Couldn't justify the extra cost to Reynolds for tubeless. He couldn't justify them, I wanted them, so deal done.

img_9980z3s4y.jpg

That is one fine looking bicycle.

Finally got my knock off Rapha top

The quality is of Lidl's Crivit range standard. It's the same cut too, not like seller's store photo, the collar and sleeves are completely different, infact I'm sure Lidl's stuff is from the same manufacturer as this and my Crivit jersey have the same messed up cuffs (one is noticeably thicker/not straight compared to the other and the stitching is off). Logos are stitched into the jersey, though the chest logo placement is too close to the stripes.

ali39gsbt.jpg

ali26dsev.jpg

alicbs8w.jpg

I wouldn't buy another one of these Rapha knockoffs, but I would get a fully customized jersey off the same seller for a tenner. I wonder how crazy you can go with the design?

Anybody had a custom jersey done from Aliexpress?

T8SC

I wouldn't buy another one of these Rapha knockoffs, but I would get a fully customized jersey off the same seller for a tenner. I wonder how crazy you can go with the design?

Anybody had a custom jersey done from Aliexpress?

You get what you pay for (generally) in my opinion. Granted there's not a lot of difference between the majority of high end kit but I'd still buy genuine over fake, unless you enjoy discomfort.

I want to bring beer on casual group rides but not sure whether to put a tall boy directly into the bottle cage (in which it fits perfectly), or to pour the beer into a bottle like a Camelbak Podium.

If I drink from the can, won't it spill and splash everywhere during the ride? And if I use the bottle, will the carbonation hold up? Anyone have any experience with this?

Addnan

Carbonated drinks hold up pretty well in the podium from the once I tried. I imagine beer tasting a bit weird being squeezed out like that though, not sure why, just feel it wouldn't taste right. Why not just give it a try at home :D. I see enough people with open cans of beer in their bottle holder to know it works, but obviously go over a bump fast and it will probably fall.

T8SC

I want to bring beer on casual group rides but not sure whether to put a tall boy directly into the bottle cage (in which it fits perfectly), or to pour the beer into a bottle like a Camelbak Podium.

If I drink from the can, won't it spill and splash everywhere during the ride? And if I use the bottle, will the carbonation hold up? Anyone have any experience with this?

thinking-face.png

I like my Stans Grail wheels and quite cheap if you build them yourself. They've been pretty bomb proof for me and I can fit 25 > 42mm tires on there.

I don't trust myself to build a wheelset yet, especially not one that is comparatively expensive. But one of the local stores does have reasonably priced Stans builds.

Carbonated drinks hold up pretty well in the podium from the once I tried. I imagine beer tasting a bit weird being squeezed out like that though, not sure why, just feel it wouldn't taste right. Why not just give it a try at home :D. I see enough people with open cans of beer in their bottle holder to know it works, but obviously go over a bump fast and it will probably fall.
Good point. No reason not to experiment at home! And yes, I've seen lots of people dropping beer cans on these rides but a "tall boy" (24oz) would be snug in a bottle cage.

Your plan is to drink alcohol while riding in a group of other riders?
Not really. There are a couple casual urban group rides in my area that either bar crawl, or ride to surprise pop-up parties. Lots of people have pannier coolers, backpacks full of beer, etc. I'm not a huge drinker so I'd be fine with a tall boy; just trying to figure out the best way to transport the tasty golden liquid on my bike.

thomaser

Going to Italy on Thursday for a week of cycling and hiking in the Abruzzo region. Will probably get a chance to tackle the Muro di Guardiagrele-climb, which is not very long, but very, very steep. And there will be lots and lots of gelato, which I will attack most ferociously.

I don't trust myself to build a wheelset yet, especially not one that is comparatively expensive. But one of the local stores does have reasonably priced Stans builds.

Yeah that's what I did. My shop's owner loves building wheels so he bought the rims and hubs as separates, spokes were basically free, and it was like $125 per wheel which is pretty cheap for hand built.

Mascot

Whisky or wine works better. Unless you fancy drinking real ales.

I like to mix up a litre and a half of 50/50 gin & tonic in my Camelbak then put it in the freezer the night before a ride. Stays nicely chilled that way and stops you drinking it all in one go, as you have to wait for it to thaw. Remember to pop a couple of lemons in there as well.

Don't forget there's also a surprising amount of room between your helmet shell and your head for stashing Pringles if you grind them up into a powder first.

Top Bottom