• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Righto, my Colnago build is getting there. Total investment about 700 euros, ie. not counting wheels that I had already and a chainset that I got from a friend. Feeling really good about it. Can't wait to put it all together.

ShapeGSX

It is in fact a plastic press fit BB30

My LBS told me it's a remove, inspect and re-install/replace once a year kind of thing. They installed mine with some press-fit retaining compound. Like blue loctite, but meant for press-fits. Other people have said that you shouldn't use any retaining compound or grease. Not sure who is right here. :)

My LBS told me it's a remove, inspect and re-install/replace once a year kind of thing. They installed mine with some press-fit retaining compound. Like blue loctite, but meant for press-fits. Other people have said that you shouldn't use any retaining compound or grease. Not sure who is right here. :)

I'm noticing that bike mechanics are all heavily opinionated with this stuff and it's quite funny. I trust the shop I go to so I'm going to go with what they feel is best. They've all be on bikes for years, we all ride the same way and like the same style of bikes/etc. So we'll see. I'm sure it will end up being a screw in my brake caliber or something stupid.

teepo

absolutely

though for me personally, it's highly dependent on the type of bike and how it's used. if it has downtube shifters, a steel frame or is a single speed of any sort, then brooks it is

I think it's highly dependent on your riding position too. I tried to use one and absolutely hated it. The upward angle is just too steep for me and there is barely any flex in the nose on them.

The Cambium's are an option for Brooks "feel" but without the drawbacks of break in or stiffer nose.

Addnan

Do Canyon do custom colours, I saw the most beautiful Aeroad bike today, it was a metallic royal blue almost and I want to see it again, but can't find on their website.

Rbk_3

How big of a difference is there between a Tiagra and Ultegra BB?

I bought an Ultegra groupset but the BB is a threaded on and my bike is a press fit. Should I just keep using my Tiagra one, or buy an Ultegra?

Anyone riding Ragbrai this year?

I'm part of a six person team made up of three mountain bikers (all on road bikes), a roadie (my wife), a recumbent rider and myself (well retired cyclocross rider). The weather is looking hot as balls, but there is still a week out until the bike party begins. This is my first organized bike tour and I'm nervous yet stoked to be riding with up to 20,000 other cyclists for a week straight.

Anyone riding Ragbrai this year?

I'm part of a six person team made up of three mountain bikers (all on road bikes), a roadie (my wife), a recumbent rider and myself (well retired cyclocross rider). The weather is looking hot as balls, but there is still a week out until the bike party begins. This is my first organized bike tour and I'm nervous yet stoked to be riding with up to 20,000 other cyclists for a week straight.

Keep us updated. I've read nothing but great things about Ragbrai

Keep us updated. I've read nothing but great things about Ragbrai
I will. I've been to Bonnaroo, Outsidelands, Tour de Fat, Moonlight Classic, and followed the Grateful Dead in the early 90's; however, I've never been around that many people intensively while riding a lot of miles everyday for a week straight. It's pretty intimidating. I've been training the miles in Wyoming but the fucking humidity has me fearful. I can rely on my hemocrit level, right?

T8SC

Sometimes I wonder what possesses me. 1.2 mile climb, 693ft total elevation bottom to top ... then did 10 reps of it including a PB on my first run.

12 mile : 6930 feet

Nice ratio.

Gonna have to give the bike a full strip down & service soon though, it's been through a lot lately.

Reminds me of the Everesting shit. Total waste of a day in my opinion.

Horses for courses and all that though.

Edit - Oh, and got through my ride. Stupid damn bike wouldn't give me access to my lowest gear though, god knows why. Wasn't the limit screw, and I don't think the hanger is bent. Frustrating.

My Tiagra rear derailleur seems to have given up the ghost after a mere 3000km. There's lateral play at the derailleur/hanger pivot, resulting in having to shift up twice to move one gear, then back so it doesn't rub. Basically the first click up is always picking up the lateral wobble. Shifting down the cassette is perfect.

One thing that pisses me off with Strava is that I can't generate detailed reports of my activities. I'd love to be able to compare last year with this year as it relates to average miles.

Funnily enough, on yesterday's ride I really wished I had a flask full of espresso. On my longer stuff there's almost always a point where I'd literally kill for coffee.

Curious why you're saying this? Aside from it being a dietetic I can't think of any other cons. I've seen it recommended to have before work outs because the caffeine can help boost metab/fat burn (Trainer Road podcast).

I think he means that he never drinks coffee, rather than saying not to.

I live off the shit, which probably explains why I feel I need it whilst I'm out. Coffee beans are a poor substitute for the hot stuff.

Gray Matter

I think he means that he never drinks coffee, rather than saying not to.

I live off the shit, which probably explains why I feel I need it whilst I'm out. Coffee beans are a poor substitute for the hot stuff.

Exactly, I enjoy my cup of joe once in a while, but I don't drink nearly as much as some people do.

kottila

Walking along in Cannes, I just happened to spot a guy eating lunch in a world championship jersey. At first I thought he was a big wannabe, but passing him again I realized it was Sagan himself. Got a quick selfie and a look at his bike. Best cycling celebrity day since having breakfast at the table next to greg lemond.

frontieruk

Walking along in Cannes, I just happened to spot a guy eating lunch in a world championship jersey. At first I thought he was a big wannabe, but passing him again I realized it was Sagan himself. Got a quick selfie and a look at his bike. Best cycling celebrity day since having breakfast at the table next to greg lemond.

Pics or it didn't happen... dems the rulez

My new roll top bag showed up yesterday
New tires should be coming tomorrow
Possibly instally a BB myself tomorrow

Gunna be a good bike week, I hope, after 3 days of back pain and misery

I bought a new bike a couple months ago from my local bike shop but I am sick of the front disc brakes always needing to be adjusted to not rub. I have quick release wheels and I think that's part of the reason it's happening so often.

Needless to say, I am going to be contacting the shop soon to ask to exchange it for a different model bike. I've put 200 miles on it and removed the stickers on the wheels, but it's otherwise in good shape.

How do you guys expect a typical bike shop to respond to this situation?

teepo

i recently bought the silca seat roll premio and it's unbelievable how nobody had thought of using the boa closure system in place of velcro before this product. the design all around is ingenious, with it being a tool-roll saddle bag which folds up as nicely as a zipped pouch.

silca-seat-roll-premio-mounted-side.jpg

highly recommended if you're in the market for a new saddle bag

I bought a new bike a couple months ago from my local bike shop but I am sick of the front disc brakes always needing to be adjusted to not rub. I have quick release wheels and I think that's part of the reason it's happening so often.

Needless to say, I am going to be contacting the shop soon to ask to exchange it for a different model bike. I've put 200 miles on it and removed the stickers on the wheels, but it's otherwise in good shape.

How do you guys expect a typical bike shop to respond to this situation?

I've honestly never had an issue with brake rub and I have QR as well. I wonder if it's something more to do with the caliber/brand than anything else.

i recently bought the silca seat roll premio and it's unbelievable how nobody had thought of using the boa closure system in place of velcro before this product. the design all around is ingenious, with it being a tool-roll saddle bag which folds up as nicely as a zipped pouch.

I was interested in this, but I wanted something more flexible than a roll. That's why I ended up with a roll top bag from Outer Shell (handmade in US) http://www.outershelladventure.com/shop/cziofh91assn12b2595c4rhsyfr6kq

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

highly recommended if you're in the market for a new saddle bag

I just got a side opening Topeak the other day. I just need a bike tool, my phone and a credit card. For some reason I find the side opening way more secure and easy to grab stuff from at the stoplight and so on. I don't carry spare tubes unless I'm in country - I would rather uber it home and fix it there with some water or talc to help me identify stuff inside the tire. Fixing flats on the road (for me, I'm mechanically incompetent and it's never the thorn or tack you think it is) is a nightmare equaled only by putting on car chains in the slush of a mountain's foothills.

But I also saw an amazing seat.

fR0E5JF.jpg

Selle Italia. Gel. As comfy (feeling) as a Serfas (what I use) and maybe light and aerodynamic enough to finally convince a roadie to take care of their nards and taints instead of fretting about weight. I get it if you're riding the Tour De France, but I still can't understand amateurs who ride hard saddles on centuries and more. On the AIDS Ride, most of the pain I saw people experience was saddle related. I rode with a gel seat and I didn't even get a rash in 600 miles. Just comfort. And all for maybe a half pound of extra weight. And it lets you distribute your weight as you ride. A couple of swigs of water would weigh more.

Hella expensive though. $200. Has air cooling dynamics and mesh too.

Top Bottom