• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Finally got a new bag. Roadrunner Rolltop backpack, I love it!

iYLTI.jpg

Also, I started strapping my fishing pole to my top tube for some after work fishing and relaxation. Using zip ties right now, which works fine but they aren't reusable so I need to get some velcro straps.

I'm back from my mini adventure and I pretty much survived on the whole (had a few cleat related offs, one which had me throwing my bike in a stream, but they were fine once I got the adjustments right).

Three days, 10k calories burned, 6500 feet worth of climbs (maybe some of those got walked) and one mostly broken body. Am looking forward to doing it again.

Oh, and for the mountain bikers here... Coed Y Brenin is brilliant. A complete class apart from any other trail center I've been to. Have a visit one day (and stay at the Plas Dolmelynllyn Hall because that's really nice too).

SmokyDave

God bless sunny Sundays and god bless mountain bikes:

Hallelujah. My other new toy.

I'm back from my mini adventure and I pretty much survived on the whole (had a few cleat related offs, one which had me throwing my bike in a stream, but they were fine once I got the adjustments right).

Three days, 10k calories burned, 6500 feet worth of climbs (maybe some of those got walked) and one mostly broken body. Am looking forward to doing it again.
Heh. Pain is addictive.

Oh, and for the mountain bikers here... Coed Y Brenin is brilliant. A complete class apart from any other trail center I've been to. Have a visit one day (and stay at the Plas Dolmelynllyn Hall because that's really nice too).
Sounds good. Might have to persuade the good lady that we need a long weekend away.

beje

Banned
I did a short 7.5 mile paved trail ride and it beat. me. up. I need to get back in shape to really enjoy this.

Force yourself to use it in any way. I had to stop buying the monthly transit ticket in order to start using the bike everyday. Went from getting destroyed by a short ride with all kinds of cramps and soreness to go to work and back 32km (20 miles?) in total everyday without a sweat in just one month. And that was after 10 years without touching a bike.

Brera

Banned
I'm going to get my self a 29er on the UK Cycle 2 work scheme.

You pay every month from your wages and it's deducted before tax so save around 30-40% depending on your salary. It's a good deal apart from the fact that higher earners save more!

I'm getting this as soon as my size is in stock:

screen_shot_2012-09-01_at_14.35.38.png

It's got XT and SLX all round apart from the brakes but I have a set of XT sitting around so going to have one monster Hardtail!

Anyone heard of the Minatou Marvel fork? Any good?

Vaguely related, I've decided I'm switching to 2x10 with a bashring. I just don't get enough use out of the big ring on most trails and there's too much overlap in 3x9 anyway.

Fork related, Cube don't tend to throw any old shit on their bikes. I've not seen any reviews but I'd say those Marvels are probably mid range so they should be fairly good. They seem nicely adjustable.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

You pay every month from your wages and it's deducted before tax so save around 30-40% depending on your salary. It's a good deal apart from the fact that higher earners save more!

I'm getting this as soon as my size is in stock:

It's got XT and SLX all round apart from the brakes but I have a set of XT sitting around so going to have one monster Hardtail!

Anyone heard of the Minatou Marvel fork? Any good?

Sorry, can't comment on the fork.

How is the XT disc set? I've heard good things about the 2012 set. Looking to upgrade.

SmokyDave

I tried to buy my P1 on that scheme but the shop refused to believe I was going to ride a P1 to work every day. I do and I love it :(

Can't comment on the Manitous but that's a lovely looking HT.

Vaguely related, I've decided I'm switching to 2x10 with a bashring. I just don't get enough use out of the big ring on most trails and there's too much overlap in 3x9 anyway.

Fork related, Cube don't tend to throw any old shit on their bikes. I've not seen any reviews but I'd say those Marvels are probably mid range so they should be fairly good. They seem nicely adjustable.
I reckon I'm going to go 1x9 on the FSR. My P1 is 2:1 and feels great, when I'm on the FSR I never use granny or big ring so I figure I've got nowt to lose.

Brera

Banned
I haven't tried out the XT brakes yet but have high hopes. The M495 brakes are awesome as it is on my Cube Attention so I can only imagine what the M785 are like!

I bought mine from Rosebikes in germany. Front and rear for £120! It's around £120ish for just the front or rear in the UK so well worth it at that price!

It seemed like a good idea at the time but not so sure now but I went for silver fronts and black/silver rear to mix it up abit!

Cycle2Work is fucking awesome...I'll be using it to get to work...and other things as well! lolz

I think I've probably got a long way to go in fitness terms before I could consider 1x9/10. Would spend half of my time walking, or spinning my legs like a loon trying to get some speed up.

That, or I guess I could consider custom ratios rather than your standard 11-32... but I'm sure I'd just run into different problems that way.

RSTEIN

M785s are around $400 for the pair around here (Toronto). I went to the Trek Store and they wanted $100 for installation. Went to my go-to shop and they are going to charge $20.

SmokyDave

I haven't tried out the XT brakes yet but have high hopes. The M495 brakes are awesome as it is on my Cube Attention so I can only imagine what the M785 are like!
I'm struggling to wrap my head around how much better brakes can get. I don't feel like absolute stopping power or control is really all that different from M739 V's. My (Avid BB5) mechanical discs and (Avid Juicy) hydraulic discs feel slightly different but ultimately both stop me like running into a brick wall. My mates Hope 4-pots are the same, all the power you'd ever need, so why buy 6-pots?

I dunno, maybe I'm not hardcore enough. Perhaps I'm not running into fade issues where others do.

I think I've probably got a long way to go in fitness terms before I could consider 1x9/10. Would spend half of my time walking, or spinning my legs like a loon trying to get some speed up.

That, or I guess I could consider custom ratios rather than your standard 11-32... but I'm sure I'd just run into different problems that way.
I don't need to walk much but I definitely find myself spinning out fairly often. That's on a 25/12 though and my FSR would be 32/11. My rear cassette is a nice 11-34 spread. We'll see though, I can't upgrade anything for a month or two because I've spent way too much lately.

Bought a bike a couple of weeks ago, after not having had one for Many Years. Yesterday I rode it into work (about 5 miles).
My arse is still recovering :(

Brera

Banned
M785s are around $400 for the pair around here (Toronto). I went to the Trek Store and they wanted $100 for installation. Went to my go-to shop and they are going to charge $20.

That's around £200/E250?

Pretty expensive!

Half the price here:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/

Not sure if they ship to Canada but worth a try! Play with their little game and you get an extra £10 off!

Brera

Banned
I'm struggling to wrap my head around how much better brakes can get. I don't feel like absolute stopping power or control is really all that different from M739 V's. My (Avid BB5) mechanical discs and (Avid Juicy) hydraulic discs feel slightly different but ultimately both stop me like running into a brick wall. My mates Hope 4-pots are the same, all the power you'd ever need, so why buy 6-pots?

I dunno, maybe I'm not hardcore enough. Perhaps I'm not running into fade issues where others do.

I don't need to walk much but I definitely find myself spinning out fairly often. That's on a 25/12 though and my FSR would be 32/11. My rear cassette is a nice 11-34 spread. We'll see though, I can't upgrade anything for a month or two because I've spent way too much lately.

No I agree. From what I've read, you don't need much more than XT785...they're better than XTR from reports I've read. I want it for modulation rather than extreme power.

SmokyDave

Bought a bike a couple of weeks ago, after not having had one for Many Years. Yesterday I rode it into work (about 5 miles).
My arse is still recovering :(

Took me about 3 weeks to get back into the swing of things. Did my first 20 mile plus ride yesterday and my arse knew about it!

No I agree. From what I've read, you don't need much more than XT785...they're better than XTR from reports I've read. I want it for modulation rather than extreme power.
Yeah, there's not a lot of modulation on my Juicys. Single digit, squeeze veeeery gently, stop like you hit a wall. I kinda love 'em though, even if they don't 'feel' as good as cable operated discs or V's IMO.

Took me about 3 weeks to get back into the swing of things. Did my first 20 mile plus ride yesterday and my arse knew about it!

Yeah, I fully expected my arse to get broken on my trip which is why I ended up doing long sessions on the turbo trainer in the fortnight before going out. Still had a bit of pain (you can't really replicate trail bashing on a trainer) but it was much better than it could have been.

vidcons

Banned
Set a really good time on a descent today. If I can shave off 59 seconds then I'll oust Taylor Phinney from first. Should be doable if I can shave 3 seconds off every corner by accelerating halfway through and staying in a tucked position.

(if you want your gaf name listed instead of your shortened name, pm me)
THE STANDINGS FOR THE SECOND DAY OF SLAM FEST:

P T 27.2km ridden 557m climbed (KOM)
Jobiensis 48.6km ridden (DISTANCE KING) 484m climbed
vidcons 20km ridden 466m climbed
Rob B. 19.5km ridden 30m climbed
Igor G. 2km ridden 12m climbed

brentech

After being off my bike since June due to a tri-fracture in my right ankle, I think I'm going to try going on a ride today.
Nothing crazy, the whole leg is still pretty weak, but it needs more exercise than basic walking and the PT I have twice a week.

Jobiensis

Set a really good time on a descent today. If I can shave off 59 seconds then I'll oust Taylor Phinney from first. Should be doable if I can shave 3 seconds off every corner by accelerating halfway through and staying in a tucked position.

Be careful on those descents.

A couple of weeks ago I trashed my front Mavic Rim. Had a blowout going down a hill. Luckily, it was on the way home and I was tired, so I wasn't tucked, just on the hoods so I was only going a bit under 35mph. Trying to steer or front brake made it feel like it was going to peel the tire off the rim, so I rode it out with just rear brakes. I ended up going off road, took about 150m or so to stop. The road turning to the left and not having a drop off or railing (just dirt and rocks) meant I didn't have to lay the bike down (I'm not sure I'd have the balls or skill to do it anyway). I'm lucky I wasn't pushing it, at 50+ that wouldn't be pretty

There was glass embedded in the tire but non in the road when it blew, so it was from some time earlier. Rim is beat up and previous experience tells me that truing it now will end up with the spokes pulling out of the rim, and rebuilding one Mavic rim seems to cost almost as much as a wheelset. I'm thinking about getting some Boyds, possibly getting a power meter (I am a data/tech whore).

Just started using the Strava app to record my rides, its probably the best cycling app i have used, the challenges on parts of my ride home with other people and achievements make riding that little bit more fun!

Can you run Strava on an iPod or does it lack the appropriate sensors? What about connecting it to a HRM?

I'm umming and ahhing about getting one just for that purpose. Maybe a 4S when the prices drop in a few months.

RSTEIN

I'm running the map my ride app. Also has a nutrition general workout/fitness tracking. Highly recommend it. Also got an iPhone holder that screws right into the stem. Tracking your stuff definitely keeps you motivated.

brentech

I'm running the map my ride app. Also has a nutrition general workout/fitness tracking. Highly recommend it. Also got an iPhone holder that screws right into the stem. Tracking your stuff definitely keeps you motivated.

I have both the stem attachment and an easier one that just wraps next to the stem. Holds really well, I prefer that one. If I'm doing trails I just put the phone in my camelbak anyways though.

Road rides, more than anything else, I often look at it because I'm just riding and at times have no idea where I am. So having a live map to look at makes it easy to get out of areas and onto a road I know.

vidcons

Banned
Can you run Strava on an iPod or does it lack the appropriate sensors? What about connecting it to a HRM?

I'm umming and ahhing about getting one just for that purpose. Maybe a 4S when the prices drop in a few months.

I think iPhones can connect to HRMs but iPods can't. If you're going for that type of monitoring then you might as well pony up for Garmin.

Because dedicated GPSs are sweeeeet.

Really wouldn't recommend paying any attention to nutrition or calorie tracking. Without all the fancy readers and such, it's pretty much just white noise.

Group ride tomorrow wants to do 33miles. Think I'll tack on a Flagstaff climb and decent onto that to get back into the competition. Last I checked, Jobiensis passed by everyone in all categories.

I think iPhones can connect to HRMs but iPods can't. If you're going for that type of monitoring then you might as well pony up for Garmin.

Because dedicated GPSs are sweeeeet.

I've been waiting forever for the new version of the Edge 800... but they don't seem in any rush to release it. =/

Jobiensis

I don't believe any of the iPods have a GPS, so it is of limited value. They do make Bluetooth HRMs, but if you want a HRM, you should just get a Garmin.

I've been waiting forever for the new version of the Edge 800... but they don't seem in any rush to release it. =/

I really don't think there is a new model on the horizon, the 800 is only two years old IIRC. I'd suggest get a lower model if pricing is an issue. I just got my 500 and I feel foolish for not doing it over a year ago. I wanted an 800 but balked at the price. After talking to others with 500s and 305s, I decided I'd settle with the 500, couldn't be happier, other than the speed sensor already breaking. A phone's battery doesn't last long enough for the really long rides, and it's nice to have a phone with a battery charge if you end up stranded 20 miles from home.

Last I checked, Jobiensis passed by everyone in all categories.

This is a rest week for me, so after a short ride today, I'll probably just do a Sufferfest session on the trainer tomorrow morning. I'm not sure I'll break 100 miles this week.

I just started training a couple of weeks ago for a century ride on Oct. 6, so that ride will probably be 'fun'.

I believe I'll be going to Hawaii in December, has anyone done Haleakala? I'm trying to figure out how to properly train for it, going to hit Palomar, Baldy, and Onyx summit. Should getting in a ride or two with 10k+ ascents should be enough? I'm not really a good climber, more of a masochist.

vidcons

Banned
I'm using a 305 and it does a lot of what is needed pretty well. The 500 is probably your best bet for cost:performance.

The 800 is also not aero :armcross:
This is a rest week for me, so after a short ride today, I'll probably just do a Sufferfest session on the trainer tomorrow morning. I'm not sure I'll break 100 miles this week.

I just started training a couple of weeks ago for a century ride on Oct. 6, so that ride will probably be 'fun'.

I believe I'll be going to Hawaii in December, has anyone done Haleakala? I'm trying to figure out how to properly train for it, going to hit Palomar, Baldy, and Onyx summit. Should getting in a ride or two with 10k+ ascents should be enough? I'm not really a good climber, more of a masochist.

Pretty much got forced into a rest week getting sick over the weekend, rain, and tests. I'll try and get back in the game today and tomorrow.

Probably just do some hill repeats once or twice a week if the climbs will be steep. If they're just long 3~4% grades then just keep putting lots of miles in.

D:

also, steroids.

The 800 is also not aero :armcross:

I'm a mountain biker who carries a 10kg pack of gear / spares / 3 litres of water so that I can pretty much go anywhere. Aero isn't even close to being a consideration. :D

This is also why I like the 800... OS maps are a huge feature for me.

I have a dinosaur age Garmin Quest which I use for basic routefinding at the mo, and my Lumia 800 does the data gathering (it's managed 8 hours of data collection without a charge so it does the job well). I just don't really want to get the 800 and suddenly have the new hotness show up. I can wait, but it doesn't mean I'm particularly happy waiting!

Bless, my nephew is scared stiff of descents and has found himself 75th out of 76th on one section in strata today. Still, I guess he's not last at least. :)

Not that I'm much better. For some odd reason the segment starts from a picnic table where you'd normally stop for a break so the first couple of minutes of mine are stood still. lol

Did another 10-mile round trip yesterday. After last week, I got myself a pair of padded cycling shorts and they definitely helped my poor arse :)
I hid them under a pair of normal shorts though.

Well, yeah... most of them are designed to be worn without underwear (reducing pressure in certain points, chafing, etc).

I always feel a bit nervous about skipping the underwear on my shorts where they're actually built in though (rather than a removable separate layer or standalone shorts). A couple of times I've had the fastener pop on my Oakleys (usually when lifting my bike onto the car) and I'm left sort of holding my knees together to save my blushes. :D

RSTEIN

I always wear underwear with my liners... Feels weird without undies, even tough I know you're not supposed to.

Embrace the sexy! Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all...

(Related, hot fucking damn at one of the girls who was out on the trail yesterday. "Dat ass" doesn't even come close to doing it justice.)

Odd... just looking at data from my phone (WP7 - Lumia 800) vs my nephew's (Android - Galaxy Ace) and his seems to record location much more often, and to more digits of precision for lat / lng / alt.

No idea if it's really more accurate or not (extra digits may be garbage), but it's definitely more regular, with his recording every 3 to 5 seconds and mine every 5 to 20 seconds. I'll have to check my old Garmin for comparison.

Edit - Apparently my old Garmin is even slower, but seems to be more accurate.

I really don't think there is a new model on the horizon, the 800 is only two years old IIRC. I'd suggest get a lower model if pricing is an issue. I just got my 500 and I feel foolish for not doing it over a year ago. I wanted an 800 but balked at the price. After talking to others with 500s and 305s, I decided I'd settle with the 500, couldn't be happier, other than the speed sensor already breaking. A phone's battery doesn't last long enough for the really long rides, and it's nice to have a phone with a battery charge if you end up stranded 20 miles from home.
Just looking at this again and I'm giving some serious consideration to the 500... but there are three things I'm particularly interested in which you might be able to help with.

1: Does the latest firmware have the ability to set the device to 1 per second recording? I've read around and think that's the case, but can't tell for sure.

2: If you input a course, can you get it to show you directions with an arrow / compass, or is it via that annoyingly small triangle and breadcrumb trail?

3: You probably can't help here, but I'm a little concerned about durability. Have read a couple of posts by mountain bikers saying they've had the screen crack. Hopefully that's something they've refined on newer models.

Thanks. :)

Top Bottom