• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

blanky

I bought the Cube Acid I posted about sometime ago, super happy with it and love riding around the country. I have a question though about parts. I'm not aware of how nice the package on my bike actually is, looking at the catalog the only significant thing that changes when the prize goes up is first the front fork, after that a lot more.

Would it be possible and significant upgrade to put a Rockshox Reba later in my bike, instead of the XC 32. Is it even possible without messing up the geometry? There's a Cube LTD 29 that's basically my bike it seems only with the reba and different disc brakes.

total noob here.
is this a good bike - giant escape 2:
Escape_2.jpg

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/escape.2/8910/48614/

when compared to the trek fx 7.1?
13200100413.jpg

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/7_1_fx/#

i was looking at both right now, still haven't ridden either in person though.

vidcons

Banned
My bike should be back from the shop today. Needed some cable work and frankly, I hate all of that. Some day I'll not be lazy.

So it looks like I'll be riding around Boulder today and that is awesome. Any Gaffers in Boulder with some routes/rides/groups to know about?

SUPREME1

Banned
total noob here.
is this a good bike - giant escape 2:
Escape_2.jpg

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/escape.2/8910/48614/

when compared to the trek fx 7.1?
13200100413.jpg

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/7_1_fx/#

i was looking at both right now, still haven't ridden either in person though.

Talk to the guys at the bike shop, ask them to give you their honest opinion and what they're experience is with both brands at the saem price point. Then take them for a ride around the block.

I'd look up reviews too. Sorry bro, don't have any more advice.

I have a Trek 7100 and I am very happy with it.

Chris R

Got about 2 months left in biking season here :(

Trying to decide if I get shoes and pedals now, or wait until spring and get some then. Trying to keep it under $150 total for everything. I just keep hearing from cyclists how much better their ride is with SPDs.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Any bike trainer words of knowledge any one wants to throw out here?

No rollers, can't support my weight on left leg.
Getting it because of surgery I had on my left hip.

Probably going to turn my road bike into fulltime trainer bike and my cx will be for when I feel well enough to hit the pavement.

LBS stocks Kinectic and Cycleops.

muu

Congrats on your visit 400K brevet! I thought I was the only rando nerd on here. :)

Thanks! Signed up for a 600K next weekend which should complete the set. I love how it's not a race, yet still challenging, and that you have much more camaraderie w/ the other guys riding vs those century rides and such. Both Oregon and Seattle Rando's are within ~4hr drive from where I live, so it's been great in terms of discovering new places to ride.

Got about 2 months left in biking season here :(

Trying to decide if I get shoes and pedals now, or wait until spring and get some then. Trying to keep it under $150 total for everything. I just keep hearing from cyclists how much better their ride is with SPDs.

Complete snake oil. OK, not completely, but it's certainly not the holy grail that people claim it to be. Upstroke pedaling is at best something that offers a bit extra oomph on an uphill, most of the time if your motions are correct you're lifting your foot up regardless of if you're clipped in or not. If you get plain ol' SPDs you might also suffer from hotspotting on your foot like I did because of the small contact area.

It's funny how strongly people are opinioned on this though. Even on the aformentioned rando rides you have groups of people with steel bikes, fenders, front and rear bags, and... Clipless pedals. Shoot, at least they could go to toe cages to complete the look!

vidcons

Banned
I can understand why people have opinions on some of those but preferring anything over clipless for riding is... yeah, nope.

Cages and such are such a chore. I've exerted more energy trying to keep my foot in the damn thing than if I just went without them. Clipless pedals with some shoes changes everything. Your form can improve and you can say more energy since the upstroke works a couple different muscles.

It's not even about the efficiency for me, it's about knowing my foot is always in the right place and I'm not about to take a jump and have the pedal scrape off the front of my shin after I lose it in mid air.

Sure, it makes me a bit sloppy form wise, but I'll happily swap that for intact shins. :D

cbox

I can understand why people have opinions on some of those but preferring anything over clipless for riding is... yeah, nope.

Cages and such are such a chore. I've exerted more energy trying to keep my foot in the damn thing than if I just went without them. Clipless pedals with some shoes changes everything. Your form can improve and you can say more energy since the upstroke works a couple different muscles.

Sounds like your bike isn't fitted properly if your feet are slipping off, that or you're wearing flip flops. In the ~6 years I've been riding daily, I've never lost my footing with my cages. (I have the cages)

Though I'd like to try clips eventually, to see the difference in power.

Cool idea but it's even more uncomfortable than a helmet for me, I absolutely can't stand having anything around my neck, ESPECIALLY in the summer.

Oppo

i never say this but

thezerofire said:

i really love that avatar. atari 2600 basic or something wasn't it?

edit - oh god it was like Chuck Yeager's Galactic Ping Pong or some bullshit I think.. i refuse to wiki it

Chris R

My bike actually came with cages. Took them off as soon as I could, they caused me nothing but issues.

Guess I'll just wait for next year and then just to see if they have a pair I can just muck around with for half an hour or so at the LBS I got my bike from to see if they are for me.

ameratsu

I have clipless pedals on my road bike and cages on my commuter. I prefer cages over just platforms because they keep your foot on the ideal position on the pedal. Clipless pedals are great but I don't like having to use special shoes when I am out and about shopping or whatever.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
It seems my old Haro may need some pretty massive surgery. I wheeled it out of the garage having not ridden it in a year and the disc brakes seemed stuffed. Plus my front shocks are on the way out. I bought the bike 10 years ago and even then it was second hand. The frame is excellent and super-light.

Any advice on which brakes and fork I should buy? I plan to get back into general riding with some trail riding slowly worked in.

RayStorm

Dear Bicycle Age,

for the very first time I noticed this thread. And it couldn't be at a much better time, as I'm about to put down an order for an Electra Townie 21D with 21 gears. Still, I'm not yet convinced about my purchase, due to my lack of knowledge in bicycles.

I want to ride in the city, with some slight elevation changes along the way, but mainly on rather flat surfaced. I'll probably ride at night quite a bit.

I have test ridden for about 10 minutes each, after asking for advice at a small bicycle shop: Some sort of Touring/Crossbike, which wasn't to my liking. While the riding itself was rather effortless, the comfort was just lacking. Couldn't sit on it painlessly. After that the Electra Amsterdam, which was a revelation in comfort. However, speed was another issue... and looks as well. As superficial as it might be, but I just don't see myself riding such a bike for the next 20 years. At least not for fun.
And then I tried a Townie 7d. I did like it, while not quite the Amsterdam I felt I moved fast enough. But I kind of wanted at least one more gear beyond the 7th.
I also rented an Electra Courier 3i Cruiser for one hour. And the internal hub shift actually felt quite good. However I was surprised that it felt less comfortable than the Electra Amsterdam. But obviously as with the Amsterdam, getting from there to here just takes quite some time.

My main concern is comfort, otherwise whatever bike I buy will suffer the same fate as my last and stand unused for 15 years until it's beyond reasonable salvaging. Still I wouldn't mind some degree of efficiency while riding. And I'd also like to be able to pack some groceries/gear onto it from time to time. And I am slightly concerned about how the bike looks.

I imagine I'd mostly ride about 5km to the next subway station, hop on it with the bike and then ride around the city. Perhaps I might even dare to cut the subway out of my route and ride straight through to the city center of Vienna, which would be about 18km.

My concerns with my choice are threefold:
1) Electra says that their fenders don't fit bikes with non-rigid forks, which the 21d is. How would I ever drive in bad weather conditions without getting all sprinkly with rain and mud?
2) After hearing horror stories from my elders, I have some degree of worry of catching the leg of my pants in the chain. The Townie 7d with 7 gears is fitted with a chain guard to prevent this, but are there guards for the 21d too?
3) Are there any other/better choices available in a similar price range?

TLDR: I want a ride that is: 60% comfort, 25% speed/efficiency/Effortlessness/10% good looks/ 5% utility and spend as little as possible but as much as needed. OR to put a number on it: less than 1000€. Are there better choices than the Electra Townie 21d for city use?

Thank you for reading.

Totally buying a Mountain Bike tomorrow.

Have my eyes on either a Trek wahoo 29

Or

The Specialized mtb equivalent whatever model it might be.

What do you gentlemen recommend ?

I am a total beginner but the friend I plan on riding with is pretty well versed in mountain biking.

He rides a Trek Cobia.

I just bought a nice bike that i'll be taking it to a university that is big in bike theft. What precautions should i take so that no one will steal it? I have a simple U-lock but i don't think that's enough.

I just bought a nice bike that i'll be taking it to a university that is big in bike theft. What precautions should i take so that no one will steal it? I have a simple U-lock but i don't think that's enough.

Leave the nice bike at home. Buy a dirt cheap bike to use with your U-lock.

Failing that get comprehensive insurance

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
Lock both wheels to each other using a cable and a good, sturdy padlock.

Lock the frame to the stand with a u-lock.

Lock the frame and wheel to the stand with another cable and a good, sturdy padlock.

Basically... add 15 pounds to your carry load/gear just to be able to secure your bike with stuff that can be snipped away in moments with bolt cutters or a portable 18v grinder... while others look on with a "omg" look but don't do anything to save your $1200 bike.

Lock both wheels to each other using a cable and a good, sturdy padlock.

Lock the frame to the stand with a u-lock.

Lock the frame and wheel to the stand with another cable and a good, sturdy padlock.

Basically... add 15 pounds to your carry load/gear just to be able to secure your bike with stuff that can be snipped away in moments with bolt cutters or a portable 18v grinder... while others look on with a "omg" look but don't do anything to save your $1200 bike.

Sounds good. The GPS trackers look sweet but a little too expensive.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
Make sure you have a locking seatpost as well.

Actually, get fitted to your bike and JB Weld it in place. (not really. maybe.)

This might be useful...

http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html

Found it last night when I was looking for a heavy duty chain for when I'm away and my bike's going to be spending time behind a bed and breakfast. :S

I'd say one of those properly hardcore U-Locks is your best bet unless you want to be carrying 10kg worth of chain around. They're bolt cutter proof and will withstand an angle grinder for a reasonable amount of time. I personally wouldn't touch armoured cables as I've seen them snipped with portable (read, concealable) bolt cutters in the blink of an eye.

Cycling GAF! I dusted off my 10 year old Pacific QuickSilver mountain bike and took a 36 minute bike ride today. I purchased Cyclemeter and according to it I did 5.77 miles in 36". Not bad for not riding that bike in years. I need to work on it in the garage tonight to tighten up some things/clean it up.

I am dedicating myself to doing my first Tri this fall (believe it is last tri of the season), then doing some running events to keep my legs in shape this winter.

So questions

1) Is Cyclemeter a good app to track my bike rides with? What other iOS apps should I consider
2) I wouldn't mind getting a more accurate way of knowing what my rotations per minute are and/or getting a heart sensor I can also use with my Nike Running app. Any suggestions
3) Are there any additional accessories I should look at getting for my bike. I am planning on at least getting some sort of blinking light as the days get shorter and shorter. Obviously I am thinking of getting a phone mount, but considering I am getting an iPhone 5 soon, I am holding off.
4) Any other suggestions in getting ready for my first "sprint" tri? I am sticking with my mountain bike until I get a few races under my legs and feel confident I want to keep doing these.

Thanks GAF!

Tuning my 'junker' Mercier Kilo TT tomorrow after a few months off. Will probably need to get a new tube/tire for the front but hopefully I can get a few more rides in before that happens. I really miss that feeling you get when you first get moving on a bike. Best purchase I made in the last few years was this single speed.

That Bianchi posted is fucking beautiful.

During my road bike ride around the Palos Verdes area here in SoCal today I was getting carbon compact envy (I ride a modern steel road bike with standard cranks myself).

GAF please stop me before I go crazy at my LBS =P

Antagon

Dear Bicycle Age,

for the very first time I noticed this thread. And it couldn't be at a much better time, as I'm about to put down an order for an Electra Townie 21D with 21 gears. Still, I'm not yet convinced about my purchase, due to my lack of knowledge in bicycles.

I want to ride in the city, with some slight elevation changes along the way, but mainly on rather flat surfaced. I'll probably ride at night quite a bit.

I have test ridden for about 10 minutes each, after asking for advice at a small bicycle shop: Some sort of Touring/Crossbike, which wasn't to my liking. While the riding itself was rather effortless, the comfort was just lacking. Couldn't sit on it painlessly. After that the Electra Amsterdam, which was a revelation in comfort. However, speed was another issue... and looks as well. As superficial as it might be, but I just don't see myself riding such a bike for the next 20 years. At least not for fun.
And then I tried a Townie 7d. I did like it, while not quite the Amsterdam I felt I moved fast enough. But I kind of wanted at least one more gear beyond the 7th.
I also rented an Electra Courier 3i Cruiser for one hour. And the internal hub shift actually felt quite good. However I was surprised that it felt less comfortable than the Electra Amsterdam. But obviously as with the Amsterdam, getting from there to here just takes quite some time.

My main concern is comfort, otherwise whatever bike I buy will suffer the same fate as my last and stand unused for 15 years until it's beyond reasonable salvaging. Still I wouldn't mind some degree of efficiency while riding. And I'd also like to be able to pack some groceries/gear onto it from time to time. And I am slightly concerned about how the bike looks.

I imagine I'd mostly ride about 5km to the next subway station, hop on it with the bike and then ride around the city. Perhaps I might even dare to cut the subway out of my route and ride straight through to the city center of Vienna, which would be about 18km.

My concerns with my choice are threefold:
1) Electra says that their fenders don't fit bikes with non-rigid forks, which the 21d is. How would I ever drive in bad weather conditions without getting all sprinkly with rain and mud?
2) After hearing horror stories from my elders, I have some degree of worry of catching the leg of my pants in the chain. The Townie 7d with 7 gears is fitted with a chain guard to prevent this, but are there guards for the 21d too?
3) Are there any other/better choices available in a similar price range?

TLDR: I want a ride that is: 60% comfort, 25% speed/efficiency/Effortlessness/10% good looks/ 5% utility and spend as little as possible but as much as needed. OR to put a number on it: less than 1000€. Are there better choices than the Electra Townie 21d for city use?

Thank you for reading.

You might want to check out Koga Miyata. The new models are too expensive for you (on the Dutch site they start around 1300 euros), but they might have some 2011 models on sale.

Say something like the CityLite:

Koga_CityLite_Gent_800.jpg

Where are you from?

RayStorm

You might want to check out Koga Miyata. The new models are too expensive for you (on the Dutch site they start around 1300 euros), but they might have some 2011 models on sale.

Say something like the CityLite:

Where are you from?

Thank you.
I'm from Vienna, Austria. I'll have a look at one of their bikes though I feel that my comfort requirements demand an upright seating position.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any recommendations for an iPhone mount? I see plenty of options available but I'm concerned with reports of the mount coming lose and sending the phone flying to its doom.

I'd like to mount the phone and use a bike computer app.

I've been cycling almost daily now for three months and I'm loving it so I'd like to bring my phone into the mix for a bit of extra data (I've been using a Garmin watch, which is great in and of itself, but harder to monitor while riding).

I got the Chicago triathlon in 5 days. Not since my first day of high school have i been this nervous about something. Incase you dont know, its a triathlon. You first swim a mile, bike 25 miles and then run 6 miles. Anybody els ever try one? Anything to cheer me up would be great. :)

Le-mo

I have a question. I broke my left elbow 15 years ago and it didn't align properly when it healed. Now when I go out for a long bike ride my left elbow would become so sore that I could barely bend it and any pressure on it would hurt. I was thinking of purchasing a compression sleeve, but I don't know how effective it would be. Any recommendations? Now I lift weights and play sports and have no problem with my left elbow, it's only when I bike.

Dorpheus

Neo Member
I'm glad this thread exists.

I'm just now starting to look for a cheap bike to get to school (about 4 miles), and also just to ride around the area for fun. It's pretty flat around here, in general (there are a few small hills between my apartment and school), and there are many bike paths.

Unfortunately, I've heard that bikes get stolen a lot around here, and especially on campus. Any recommendations on what kind of bike to get? I've considered a road bike, but the tiny seats look unbearably uncomfortable for riding around on the beach.

ameratsu

I'm glad this thread exists.

I'm just now starting to look for a cheap bike to get to school (about 4 miles), and also just to ride around the area for fun. It's pretty flat around here, in general (there are a few small hills between my apartment and school), and there are many bike paths.

Unfortunately, I've heard that bikes get stolen a lot around here, and especially on campus. Any recommendations on what kind of bike to get? I've considered a road bike, but the tiny seats look unbearably uncomfortable for riding around on the beach.

If theft is a problem, look for something used (maybe a hybrid) and get a decent u-lock to lock your bike at school. I am willing to bet that a lot of the bikes that are stolen are locked with shitty combination cable locks that can be defeated with relatively small bolt cutters.

A hybrid will have slimmer tires which are well-suited to road/bike path riding with flat handlebars that you would be more comfortable with. If you want something more comfortable to cruise around on, maybe look for a comfort bike like the giant cypress the guy above me bought.

muu

I have a question. I broke my left elbow 15 years ago and it didn't align properly when it healed. Now when I go out for a long bike ride my left elbow would become so sore that I could barely bend it and any pressure on it would hurt. I was thinking of purchasing a compression sleeve, but I don't know how effective it would be. Any recommendations? Now I lift weights and play sports and have no problem with my left elbow, it's only when I bike.

Can't say about elbows but I ride w/ knee support which works like a charm. I only use them when I run/ride longer distances and they're a lifesaver. Similar deal w/ my left wrist which began hurting a few months back.

These things are dime a dozen, try a few and see how they feel. It's not like you still have something broken so you're not likely to benefit from using a $200 super elbow replacement vs a $20 mueller elbow support. Try the latter, try various positions (I assume you're not locking out your elbows, though that'd do more harm to your shoulders than elbows), work it up slowly and don't kill yourself in the process. Maybe consult a sports physician too, the orthopedist will just tell you you're lucky you can walk around and do everyday stuff.

Le-mo

Can't say about elbows but I ride w/ knee support which works like a charm. I only use them when I run/ride longer distances and they're a lifesaver. Similar deal w/ my left wrist which began hurting a few months back.

These things are dime a dozen, try a few and see how they feel. It's not like you still have something broken so you're not likely to benefit from using a $200 super elbow replacement vs a $20 mueller elbow support. Try the latter, try various positions (I assume you're not locking out your elbows, though that'd do more harm to your shoulders than elbows), work it up slowly and don't kill yourself in the process. Maybe consult a sports physician too, the orthopedist will just tell you you're lucky you can walk around and do everyday stuff.
Yah, I don't lock my elbows when riding. Well, I can't even if I wanted to because it would hurt like hell after a long ride. I tried various riding positions on my bike, but that doesn't seem to help either. I"ll just purchase an elbow support and see how that goes. Thanks for the advice.

beje

Banned
I am willing to bet that a lot of the bikes that are stolen are locked with shitty combination cable locks that can be defeated with relatively small bolt cutters.

All of the random theft reports I see in Spanish forums and blogs come from bikes that weren't using a U-lock, just a shitty and cheap coloured cable bought at Decathlon. I guess there are tiers on that as always but a half-decent U-lock and parking the bike at a concurred place is usually more than enough to drive thieves away. Cables are just for extra security in wheels and saddle, but always combined with a U-lock.

Also, run away of quick-release mechanisms if you plan on parking outside. They're the best invitation for "please, steal my wheels".

Fuckers stole my bike... It was a Winora Domingo Deluxe, great bike all around.

http://www.winora.de/produkte_detail_de,9817,6249,detail.html?css=winora

Fuck fuck fuck.

It was locked up in my garage, we were gone for the week end and when we came back we found the garage's door open. Could have been worse, they just took the two bicycles and nothing else!

But I'm still wondering why they stoped at just stealing the bikes? There was plenty of stuff but they didn't touched it. They could have even tried to smash the door that gives access to the rest of the house. All of that for just one bike? It was worth around 1000 € , my GF bike wasn't worth much around 200 €

Thankfully our insurance has it covered. But still kind of shocked that someone basically broken into our house, even if its just a garage.

Now how I'm going to get to work? My GF use our car for her commute to her job and I fucking hate public transport. As soon as the insurance will reimburse the stolen bike i'll buy a new one but damn I can't see myself in public transport for a few weeks.

Now I Got my eyes on a Trek bike http://www.trekbikes.com/fr/fr/bikes/town/dual_sport/crossrip/crossrip_elite/# or Specialized http://www.specialized.com/fr/fr/bikes/multiuse/tricross/tricrosselitedisc Nothing in common with my previous bike, Just looking for something more sportish.

Nothing set in stone yet though, I could settle for this http://www.specialized.com/fr/fr/bikes/multiuse/crosstrail/crosstrailsportdisc or this http://www.specialized.com/fr/fr/bikes/multiuse/crossover/crossoverexpertdisc

But I'm still wondering why they stoped at just stealing the bikes?

You can wheel bikes away and no-one will give you a second glance. Walk down the street with a TV or stereo and people start paying attention. Plus of course they can actually ride off on the bikes if anyone asks them any questions.

As for getting to work, just hire a bike for a few days. Shouldn't cost much if you explain the situation to your LBS (and that you'll be in the market to buy a nice shiny replacement from them).

SmokyDave

Woah, hadn't realised there was a topic for bikes!

I just picked one of these up yesterday after a 5 year break from bikes:

2011 Specialized P1. I'm absolutely loving it so far :)

Will keep a much closer eye on this topic from now on.

SmokyDave

Did not take you for a trails bike rider thats for sure!

It's more dirt jump than trials, but I was doing trials when the big names were Libor Karas, Martyn Ashton and Martyn Hawes!

Currently I'm just trying to convince my lungs to stay inside my body. I hadn't realised I wa so unfit!

Top Bottom