• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Jobiensis

So. I have no idea how many of you have been victims of bike thefts.

I caught a bike thief a couple weeks ago.

BikeThief.jpg

Wasn't my bike. The guy and his friends had stolen the seat off my friends bike about 15 minutes earlier and we were headed back out to give her a ride home, and saw then surrounding her bike. They scattered, except fot he big feela there, who came running at me. Turned out he was trying to get to his bike. I honestly had no idea.

Just kept him there until the police came.

Fuck ChiTown, you are my hero, putting choke holds on bike thieves.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Fuck ChiTown, you are my hero, putting choke holds on bike thieves.

Well, I got a stern lecture from Chicago PD about rear naked chokes being deadly force. But I understand they don't want citizens rolling around choking people.

Oh my friend who took the picture had captioned it,

"Whatcha thinking about? Oh you know. Bike theives."

vidcons

Banned
why though? it's just as fun on the streets

and Trasher if you want to buy a fixed gear buy a fixed gear
Skid stopping isn't really the safest thing on the planet, especially if you don't have much experience with bike handling.

Obviously there are people who can ride a fixie safely. For them I say "Go for it." The vast majority of people who ride fixed, because there are always people who ride fixed for looks and not there preferred form of practicality, are shit riders who fuck up and piss motorists off.

jamming your legs to brake is also not that great for your knees.

brentech

Well, I got a stern lecture from Chicago PD about rear naked chokes being deadly force. But I understand they don't want citizens rolling around choking people.

Oh my friend who took the picture had captioned it,

"Whatcha thinking about? Oh you know. Bike theives."
I was about to ask what the police had to say. They really don't like civilians taking action like that. "You could get shanked!"

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I was about to ask what the police had to say. They really don't like civilians taking action like that. "You could get shanked!"

They didn't want me to get in trouble. They were nice about it. They thanked me for catching the kid.

I have ridden a fixie and I almost understand the appeal but I just find them so limited compared to a mountain bike, even a rigid single speed mountain bike. They're fine if you're sticking to a paved road but anything other than that and they just aren't as useful as a mountain bike. My ride home involves lots of 'urban traversal' that a fixie simply couldn't handle.

I definitely feel you on the maintenance angle. A single-speeder is easy, a fixie must almost maintain itself!

Eh, to each his own I guess. More people on bikes, the better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a paragon of practicality myself, here is my daily ride:

Believe me, not being able to sit down builds up the calves!
See, I can't imagine using a mountain bike at all, unless you're riding trails on a regular basis. There are basically no trails around me.

Skid stopping isn't really the safest thing on the planet, especially if you don't have much experience with bike handling.

Obviously there are people who can ride a fixie safely. For them I say "Go for it." The vast majority of people who ride fixed, because there are always people who ride fixed for looks and not there preferred form of practicality, are shit riders who fuck up and piss motorists off.

jamming your legs to brake is also not that great for your knees.
just put a brake on it. that's what I did and what a lot of people do

Somewhat stupid question, but is there like a weight limit for Road bikes?

I only ask as I would like to pick up a lower end road bike for next year to try out, but im slightly hesitant about wheels that thin lol. I'm 6'1 245lbs, so im not like super obese but still large enough that im thinking about it.

Ive been using a terrible mountain bike that is like 10 years old, and it just time to junk it. I also do zero trail riding, so im thinking a road bike would be perfect and may even better my daily times.

S. L.

[KoRp]Jazzman;43025776 said:

I only ask as I would like to pick up a lower end road bike for next year to try out, but im slightly hesitant about wheels that thin lol. I'm 6'1 245lbs, so im not like super obese but still large enough that im thinking about it.

Ive been using a terrible mountain bike that is like 10 years old, and it just time to junk it. I also do zero trail riding, so im thinking a road bike would be perfect and may even better my daily times.

your weight usually only could be problematic with higher end bikes with full carbon forks and the likes. But those usually come with weight limit notes.

vidcons

Banned
just put a brake on it. that's what I did and what a lot of people do

Ah. I haven't seen many brakes on fixed gears so it's not my go-to mental image. If you've got a brake then no worries.

Anyone else in Arizona? The weather is finally getting to be decent enough for longer rides in the morning.

I miss being there during the winter. The ride out past Canyon Lake is a blast and the scenery is magnificent.

Jobiensis

Go to a bike shop, your weight shouldn't be much of a problem with a road bike. However, it may be a problem with wheels, especially the cheap wheels they put on lower end bikes.

I'm 6" 250-260lbs (losing it steadily). I ride a 2010 Felt F95 (700x23 tires) for road. I've only had 1 flat and it wasn't from a pinch flat or anything but actually a metal barb. I've ridden on all types of roads and even had to take it off a curb once or twice. Wheels still hold true. You'll be fine and if all goes well you won't be 245 for long. I also MTB on an entry level Scott 29er, no issues yet and I beat the shit out of that thing.

SmokyDave

t-ramp

Wow, that was awesome.

He was always the cooler of the two Martyns. He's done a couple of these on road bikes now, it's something else. I thought Danny MacAskill had stolen his thunder somewhat but this is a clever way to switch things up.
Wow, MacAskill is incredible too. And Scotland is gorgeous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw

ChiTownBuffalo

Yay!

My bike from my parent's home is waiting for me at my Chicago home!

Now, where in the city can I ride a Yeti 303?

ChiTownBuffalo

Very nice, Chi. Very very nice. Pics when it arrives?

(The answer is EVERYWHERE btw).

Will do. I will also post pics getting my first inevitabel bike ticket riding down stairs I probably shouldn't have been riding down. Or of my prone body after bailing.

I've got a 2007 Marin Pioneer Trail 19" That I ride 3.5 miles each way to work. We have bike lockers at work. But some places around town have some pretty jank bike racks, stuff that I'd be concerned about scratching the bike.

I know it's like sacrilege to put a kickstand on it. But is there any kind of stand that I could carry with me like in a backpack so I can stand it next to, and just lock it to one of those not so savory racks?

Though I personally wouldn't mind a kickstand. I haven't found one yet that I liked. Pass on the standard ones. I've also seen models that clamp onto the rear fork or whatever it's called. I didn't like that cause I got the impression that I'd have to pinch the tube to get it tight enough to not slip around.

Edit: Oh and anyone have recommendations for lighting attachments for night time riding?

ch0mp

I've got a 2007 Marin Pioneer Trail 19" That I ride 3.5 miles each way to work. We have bike lockers at work. But some places around town have some pretty jank bike racks, stuff that I'd be concerned about scratching the bike.

I know it's like sacrilege to put a kickstand on it. But is there any kind of stand that I could carry with me like in a backpack so I can stand it next to, and just lock it to one of those not so savory racks?

Though I personally wouldn't mind a kickstand. I haven't found one yet that I liked. Pass on the standard ones. I've also seen models that clamp onto the rear fork or whatever it's called. I didn't like that cause I got the impression that I'd have to pinch the tube to get it tight enough to not slip around.

Edit: Oh and anyone have recommendations for lighting attachments for night time riding?
Pretty sure it can be bolted onto the rear derailleur because I remember taking one off a bike once. Edit: of course it's on the other side. It was the axle I think. Anyway I think this is what you're after:

I see those stands that chomp posted often for high-end bike displays at local bike shops, but can't find them for sale there or online.

But, I recently ordered this at Amazon:

Feedback Sports Bicycle Display Stand
http://amzn.com/B001F9V842/
41fZxWp-8jL._AA300_.jpg

If you want a portable foldable version of it there's this too (it may or may not work with locks/cables but don't quote me on it =)

Topeak LineUp Stand
http://amzn.com/B0039TE2US/
51dzuDTYnfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ChiTownBuffalo

H108z.jpg

My weekend.

And my protection:

helmet.jpg

Brera

Banned
Fuck!

My chain came off and jammed it's self in the front deraileur. I managed to get it loose and it wrapped back in place but it's rubbing on that that metal pusher bit when it's on the big ring.

I can switch from the small ring to the middle ring but not from big to middle.

Is it fucked? I think I spotted just one of the ring teeth slightly bent as well but it was too dark to check...am I worrying to much or will adjusting the deraileur and gears solve it?

Fuck!

My chain came off and jammed it's self in the front deraileur. I managed to get it loose and it wrapped back in place but it's rubbing on that that metal pusher bit when it's on the big ring.

I can switch from the small ring to the middle ring but not from big to middle.

Is it fucked? I think I spotted just one of the ring teeth slightly bent as well but it was too dark to check...am I worrying to much or will adjusting the deraileur and gears solve it?

If there's nothing bent then you'll probably just have to adjust the deraileur.

ChiTownBuffalo

Damn, looks like fun. What's the head angle? I remember the older ones being kinda steep for a race bike at like 66 degrees.

This one is 64 - 65 degress based on adjustments you can make near the rear shock.

Jobiensis

Yeah, doubt one of the teeth bent from that. Just need to adjust your limit screws.

Worst case scenario: you have to adjust the angle.

It's far more likely that the bent tooth is supposed to be bent to help shifting. The teeth on the chainring and cassette are not all uniform like the old days.

Jobiensis

Seeing these ads on GAF

http://www.bicymple.com/

This looks awful. Being directly over the pedals is going to suck. Love to see someone get out of the saddle going up a hill, they are going to end up falling on their ass. Do people really have such a problem with chains? They are cheap and easy to maintain.

oldmanyellingatcloud.jpg

vidcons

Banned
Seeing these ads on GAF

http://www.bicymple.com/

This looks awful. Being directly over the pedals is going to suck. Love to see someone get out of the saddle going up a hill, they are going to end up falling on their ass. Do people really have such a problem with chains? They are cheap and easy to maintain.

oldmanyellingatcloud.jpg

These are actually really fun to ride! A friend and I took it around the campus during the summer and tried get the bars to swing all the way around the back.

Terrifying at first but as far as novelty bikes go, I would definitely grab one around $100.

Chris R

Anyone have an opinion on Rim trainers? Figure if I don't have to spend extra on a trainer tire (and being able to take a bike fresh off a ride and stick it on the trainer right away) would make it easier/cheaper for me to use.

Ill Saint

This is going to be a long shot, but anyone have knowledge on Bridgestone bicycles?

I came across a Bridgestone XFC (Crossfire?) in a second-hand bicycle store. Lovely looking Army green Japan-made frame in great condition. The tyres need immediate changing, the shifters are cheap replacements, the derailleur looks worn, the brakes were kinda dodgy, pedals are dodgy worn-out plastic things. Price is way high, though, at around $230 USD.

I've googled but can't find any info whatsoever on this bike except a (now gone) classified sale in Japan where it's going for the same price. Bike looks like this. Love the look of the frame, but it would need a bunch of money sunk into it for new parts. Very tempted but not sure if it's worth it unless the frame is just that good.

I don't know where else to ask for info, so thought I'd throw this out here... any info greatly appreciated!

ameratsu

This is going to be a long shot, but anyone have knowledge on Bridgestone bicycles?

I came across a Bridgestone XFC (Crossfire?) in a second-hand bicycle store. Lovely looking Army green Japan-made frame in great condition. The tyres need immediate changing, the shifters are cheap replacements, the derailleur looks worn, the brakes were kinda dodgy, pedals are dodgy worn-out plastic things. Price is way high, though, at around $230 USD.

I've googled but can't find any info whatsoever on this bike except a (now gone) classified sale in Japan where it's going for the same price. Bike looks like this. Love the look of the frame, but it would need a bunch of money sunk into it for new parts. Very tempted but not sure if it's worth it unless the frame is just that good.

I don't know where else to ask for info, so thought I'd throw this out here... any info greatly appreciated!

Before I bought my 88 Bianchi, I asked on the appropriate subforum on bikeforums.com. There were a couple knowledgeable posters who provided info I couldn't find anywhere else. I posted in the vintage subforum which you may want to try.

Ill Saint

Before I bought my 88 Bianchi, I asked on the appropriate subforum on bikeforums.com. There were a couple knowledgeable posters who provided info I couldn't find anywhere else. I posted in the vintage subforum which you may want to try.

Thanks for the tip, I'll ask around there.

Top Bottom