• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

My nephew has spent the last couple of hours whining about how long the ride is going to be tomorrow (it's really not that long).

God knows how he'll be when he's actually out there.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
What I learned about riding a DH bike in a major city.

1. Rooster tails. My entire back is wet and dirty.

2. I felt like a guy in a lifted full size pickup truck next to people on fixies.

3. Potholes ain't go shit on me. Or curbs. Or rats.

4. I can never chain that bike anywhere.

purg3

slept with Malkin
What I learned about riding a DH bike in a major city.

1. Rooster tails. My entire back is wet and dirty.

2. I felt like a guy in a lifted full size pickup truck next to people on fixies.

3. Potholes ain't go shit on me. Or curbs. Or rats.

4. I can never chain that bike anywhere.

LOL, why are you riding a DH bike in a city? Hope you didn't have to try and pedal up any hills.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
There's no way in hell I'd ever leave my bike anywhere out of sight... even with a 16mm chain on it.

Yeah, I was lugging a 5' Krytponite New York Chain with me and I still felt uncomfortable.

I went to go get a Gatorade at 7-11 and just brought the bike in with me.

LOL, why are you riding a DH bike in a city? Hope you didn't have to try and pedal up any hills.

My folks shipped it to me from Colorado. Chicago is really flat, so it's OK. I bombed some staircases which was fun and hit up a skate park.

Does anyone have a recommendation for some lightweight shoes for riding? They don't need to clip in or anything, just want something besides my converses to wear.

Installed a new stem on the bike and was stoked to see how comfortable is but when testing it I noticed a really bad creaking from putting load on the creaks. I looked up on Sheldon Brown's site and did the test where you pull and press the cranks towards the seat tube and it pops/creaks. Do you guys think I should take it to the shop or pony up and buy a ISIS bottom bracket tool and do it myself? I'm fairly competent when it comes to fixing stuff, but at the same time the bottom brackets mystifies me.

My shorter stem is nice though!

davidnic

Installed a new stem on the bike and was stoked to see how comfortable is but when testing it I noticed a really bad creaking from putting load on the creaks. I looked up on Sheldon Brown's site and did the test where you pull and press the cranks towards the seat tube and it pops/creaks. Do you guys think I should take it to the shop or pony up and buy a ISIS bottom bracket tool and do it myself? I'm fairly competent when it comes to fixing stuff, but at the same time the bottom brackets mystifies me.

mmm... I think you should give it ago at fixing it yourself and if you get stuck you can always take it to the shop.

vidcons

Banned
The shop dudes I've talked to always tell me it's never the BB. It totally could be but when I was having that type of creaking issue it turned out to be the chainbolts needing to be tightened.

WaXYy.gif

Easy pic with labels.

Hm, I did the test with the non-drive side. Would the same apply? I'd love for that to be the issue and will try it in the morning before making my calls to local shops for service and/or tools.

Yeah, I was lugging a 5' Krytponite New York Chain with me and I still felt uncomfortable.

I went to go get a Gatorade at 7-11 and just brought the bike in with me.

I have a Krytponite U lock, and will lock up my bike if have to but I never lock it up outside a place if I can't see it from inside wherever I am.

My Bianchi gets way too much attention to lock it up outside for an extended period of time.

Have just been putting together some GPS tracks based on old paper ones. Problem is, as always, that sometimes I simply can't see the track from the piss poor resolution satellite view so I end up guessing... and I pretty much always guess wrong.

I'm going to end up stuck in a river somewhere in the middle of Wales (again).

The route I just did has an artillery range in the middle of it. You really, really don't want to take a wrong turn there.

Quick Question - My wife bought me a bike online for my birthday. Its a single speed road bike. The pedals hit the front tire when the wheel is turned, is that normal?

I rode BMX bikes as a kid and had a big mountain bike in college. Its been years since I had a bike so maybe thats normal for a road bike. I'm finding it very annoying however. I'm wondering if I should return it. Ehh, maybe I'll just get used to it.

t-ramp

Quick Question - My wife bought me a bike online for my birthday. Its a single speed road bike. The pedals hit the front tire when the wheel is turned, is that normal?

I rode BMX bikes as a kid and had a big mountain bike in college. Its been years since I had a bike so maybe thats normal for a road bike. I'm finding it very annoying however. I'm wondering if I should return it. Ehh, maybe I'll just get used to it.
Any chance the fork is on backwards? I thought the idea sounded ridiculous, but apparently it can be used to save space when shipping...?

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-319798.html

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Where did she buy it from? WalMart?

Sounds like someone put the bike together completely wrong.

Ended up needing a new BB. She is riding nice and quiet now.

Jobiensis

I screwed up. After my century ride two weeks ago, I did my usual Monday commute into work. I was sore and knew I needed to take it really easy. So I come up on a traffic light that is green, so I pick it up and sprint across, this is followed by a short but relatively steep hill so I just kept the momentum up. I'm about 100m from the top of the hill and slowing quickly. Rather than downshift out of my big ring, I decide to stand and power it over the hill, which basically becomes a grind out of the saddle. Hit another light about a half mile later and while unclipping felt a twinge behind my knee. Pain gets worse for the remainder of the ride... pulled hamstring. I tried to take it easy over the last week and a half giving it a couple days of rest here and there, but riding with either high cadence or climbing just agitates it, which pretty much makes it impossible for me to train. Even a small climb will have me limping for hours. I've got a hard century on Nov. 10 and it looks like I'm done riding for at least this week, I can only hope it clears by Monday.

Anybody have any great tips to speed healing on a pulled hamstring (above knee, outer back edge of thigh). I'm icing it for 15 minutes every four hours, popping ibuprofen and doing very limited stretches.

muu

I screwed up. After my century ride two weeks ago, I did my usual Monday commute into work. I was sore and knew I needed to take it really easy. So I come up on a traffic light that is green, so I pick it up and sprint across, this is followed by a short but relatively steep hill so I just kept the momentum up. I'm about 100m from the top of the hill and slowing quickly. Rather than downshift out of my big ring, I decide to stand and power it over the hill, which basically becomes a grind out of the saddle. Hit another light about a half mile later and while unclipping felt a twinge behind my knee. Pain gets worse for the remainder of the ride... pulled hamstring. I tried to take it easy over the last week and a half giving it a couple days of rest here and there, but riding with either high cadence or climbing just agitates it, which pretty much makes it impossible for me to train. Even a small climb will have me limping for hours. I've got a hard century on Nov. 10 and it looks like I'm done riding for at least this week, I can only hope it clears by Monday.

Anybody have any great tips to speed healing on a pulled hamstring (above knee, outer back edge of thigh). I'm icing it for 15 minutes every four hours, popping ibuprofen and doing very limited stretches.

Sucks, dude. Best thing you can do is rest it out, ice like crazy, pop Ibu or Alleve regularly.

Once you're back on the saddle something like this may be in order:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LQPXQ4/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NKF3E0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I used the latter for some time when I pulled like the top part of my hamstring on the back of the knee, could be similar to what you got (except I did mine running). You must absolutely make sure you're pain-free when you're riding again, but compression of this type at the point of pain will allow you to ride/run/whatever for a little longer before the pain starts again. If something starts to hurt or you think it's going to start hurting, STOP. Took me 5-6 months to completely clear this shit up because I kept prematurely returning to activity when I thought it was all better, returning to square one. Thankfully it was a part of the muscle that didn't hurt when cycling... Just couldn't run or do anything that involved running.

There's a very good 'golden guide' to treating running hamstring injuries online, but I can't find it right this second. May want to try a couple different google searches, since I think a lot of it will apply to your case as well. Pretty much says what I explained above in more detail (it's what I used to finally clear myself up).

Jobiensis

Sucks, dude. Best thing you can do is rest it out, ice like crazy, pop Ibu or Alleve regularly.

Once you're back on the saddle something like this may be in order:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LQPXQ4/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NKF3E0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I used the latter for some time when I pulled like the top part of my hamstring on the back of the knee, could be similar to what you got (except I did mine running). You must absolutely make sure you're pain-free when you're riding again, but compression of this type at the point of pain will allow you to ride/run/whatever for a little longer before the pain starts again. If something starts to hurt or you think it's going to start hurting, STOP. Took me 5-6 months to completely clear this shit up because I kept prematurely returning to activity when I thought it was all better, returning to square one. Thankfully it was a part of the muscle that didn't hurt when cycling... Just couldn't run or do anything that involved running.

There's a very good 'golden guide' to treating running hamstring injuries online, but I can't find it right this second. May want to try a couple different google searches, since I think a lot of it will apply to your case as well. Pretty much says what I explained above in more detail (it's what I used to finally clear myself up).

Thanks for all the advice. I'll pick up a compression bandage.

I did 82 miles today (Sheffield to Manchester and back) in 6hrs 31mins, my average speed was down 3.2mph because of the damn wind, but other than that it was a good ride. I just need my replacement S2 screen to hurry up and get here so I can get in on this Strava group.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Hey guys, I'm pretty ignorant of the value of different bikes, but a good neighbor of mine recently asked if I'd like to purchase his 1995 Bianchi Veloce for $250. I trust him very much, and I've been in the market for a road bike for a while, and this seems like the best deal yet. He was honest with me and said it'd need about $100 worth of tune-ups at a shop, which is also reasonable. What do you think?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hey guys, I'm pretty ignorant of the value of different bikes, but a good neighbor of mine recently asked if I'd like to purchase his 1995 Bianchi Veloce for $250. I trust him very much, and I've been in the market for a road bike for a while, and this seems like the best deal yet. He was honest with me and said it'd need about $100 worth of tune-ups at a shop, which is also reasonable. What do you think?

10-speed/fixie/single-speed/etc?

Have you checked out the frame for cracks? I would just take it to a bike shop and have them tell you if anything is wrong with it. $250 sounds right.

ameratsu

Does it fit you? It can only be a good deal if it fits.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Does it fit you? It can only be a good deal if it fits.

I haven't seen it yet, but it fits him well and we're about the same size/build, so I doubt it'll be a problem. I'll see it tomorrow and take a few pics and post them here.

vidcons

Banned
If it's celeste green then you slam that two-fiddy in his hand and throw in a 6-pack.

Last week of pre-off season training. Looked at what's in store for next week and I'm dreading squats already. Absolutely crushed some tricky spots today but chilled out in some stretches.

If I was considering switching to a different chainring, I'd probably need a new cassette and chain to go along with it, right? I'm digging my compact gearing but, and even know I've read that I'm not really missing out on much speed-wise, I feel like I'm not hitting the speeds I'd like to.

At some point I'm going to go 2x10 on my mountain bike. I almost never use the big ring now so it seems fairly pointless having it. Will probably just have a bashring instead.

...and no, just changing your chainring doesn't mean you need a new cassette and chain, assuming you're just changing the number of teeth and not the spacing (so you're not switching from a 9 speed chainring to a 10 / 11 speed one).

Motherfuckers. I guess that's why people are taking to carrying huge locks now so they can lock up every single part right down to the saddle.

So Bike-Gaf, I have been wondering this for awhile; but why do bikes cost soo much? I mean essentially all it is, is an aluminum frame, a few bolts, a chain, a little mechanical pump for the breaks, 2 tires and a couple gears.

It doesn't seem like it should add up to the $200-$400 price tag that stores sell it for, especially when mass produced.

Snowdrift

So jelly of you guys that get to ride year round.

Just picked up a CX bike in August and only got to ride it for two months. Such a different experience than downhill and park biking, but its awesome! Plus I don't have to worry about blowing a couple hundred dollars in parts every weekend.

Has anyone raced in the Vancouver to Whistler GranFondo? I'm really interested in trying it out next year, but I'm worried that a CX bike will be too heavy and a little slow without the correct gearing.

fNrnr.jpg

So Bike-Gaf, I have been wondering this for awhile; but why do bikes cost soo much? I mean essentially all it is, is an aluminum frame, a few bolts, a chain, a little mechanical pump for the breaks, 2 tires and a couple gears.

It doesn't seem like it should add up to the $200-$400 price tag that stores sell it for, especially when mass produced.

Ha, ha ha, ha ha ha, I wish my bike was that cheap! Got my Minxy for £1200, and that was on sale. My boyfriend recently bought a Meta SX for £3000.

Top Bottom