• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Jobiensis

No, but that's only because I never have my shoes on me when I head out to a store. I'll probably pick some up this week. What I've been doing is a thermal silk sock underneath a pair of Smartwool or DeFeet.

Careful with the 4000s, my experience is that they'll puncture easily when wet, despite how they handle. I saw Conti's Four Season tires on sale a while ago, might be worth looking into.

I think your confusing what I mean by shoe covers, you wear them while cycling. Like this.

My Sat ride was cut short because of a second flat. Wire from a radial tire that I probably missed the first time while changing a tube on the side of the road.

I'm probably going to try out tubeless after I get another 5-600 miles out of these tires. My Mavics don't have spoke holes, so it is basically tires, valves and sealant to give it a shot. A cyclist I know swears by them and does far more miles than me.

First day back cycling was horrible. My worst average speed ever and it's clear that there's been a not insignificant amount of damage done to my leg. :(

Worse than that, the rain, wind and cold got so bad (especially at the peak altitude) that I very nearly just curled up and died. Was all I could do to keep going and my hands and feet were agony (I forgot my sealskins and it turns out that my gloves aren't actually waterproof).

Large sections of the trail were completely flooded and took significant time to bypass (or in one case, wade through). Annoyingly there were a couple of gates flooded too and there's basically no way to avoid those unless you want to try and climb over a barbed wire fence.

Not happy. :mad:

Over an hour in threshold is never easy. I've had rides were nothing went right, but never had to wade across rivers. Good to see that you can ride again.

vidcons

Banned
I think your confusing what I mean by shoe covers, you wear them while cycling. Like this.

I know, I've just been going the illogical route in trying to solve the problem of cold feet. More layers will certainly work the same way as wind resistance covers!

or not.

Psycho, so was the whole scare with your leg for nothing? Bummer about the first day back, but it shouldn't take too long to get back to where you were.

I'm not sure I understand the question. The DVT was diagnosed and I'm on ongoing treatment. There's obviously been some damage to the muscle because of it... that, or there was muscle damage which caused the DVT, the doctors weren't exactly clear on it (they used a bunch of very large words which I didn't understand). Yesterday was the first day I was willing to risk intense exercise.

Unrelated to that, looking like the exercise induced asthma diagnosis is right too. Did a peak flow test after I got back yesterday and my results were just about half what they normally are. Stupid broken body.

brentech

RA12_Revenio-2.0_matteblack-silver-red.jpg

Just purchased the Raleigh Revenio 2.0 (2012) today. Will need it to build back my ankle before I can do any serious trail riding on my mountain bike.
So pumped to start riding again, but might still be a bit before weather is suitable here.

brentech

Yea, while I rode my mountain bike on roads fairly often even the last 2 seasons, I'm going to miss the single tracks for a while.
I dislocated and fractured my ankle real bad back in June. While I rehabbed it from about Aug to November 1st, it's not back in sporting condition.
It's real weak when I have to make quick movements which would make technical trails really tough. I have a large metal plate with 10 screws in it on one side, and 2 more screws on the other. Just need all related muscles to bulk up.

My back yard is real choppy. When I started to be able to do yard work again last fall, I'd still real easily have my ankle start to roll on me.

Kind of gave me the excuse to buy a road bike earlier than I might have. Convinced my wife to get one too. She's got to test ride some tomorrow when I pick mine up.

I dislocated and fractured my ankle real bad back in June. While I rehabbed it from about Aug to November 1st, it's not back in sporting condition.
It's real weak when I have to make quick movements which would make technical trails really tough. I have a large metal plate with 10 screws in it on one side, and 2 more screws on the other. Just need all related muscles to bulk up.

Injuries fucking suck. If you end up going clipless on your new bike I'd make sure you keep them at the absolute minimum tension (you really don't want to jar your ankle getting your foot out in a rush).

Jobiensis

Since there are new road bike people, please refer to the rules.

Now, I'm going to break #1 and #2 by saying some of the rules seem to be written by someone that still wears wool jerseys, and should only be taken tongue in cheek. I'll be damned if I'm going to give up Caramel Frappuccinos or my Garmin and I'll switch to metric once I do a ride in the the Pyrenees or French Alps.

Rule 5 is by far the most important.

ameratsu

Looking to purchase a road bike for my commute to work this summer. About 5 miles each way. Saw this on Amazon and it looks slick. The reviews seem really positive too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GWP6CK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Well it depends. Do you want a bike to ride or are you buying with good intentions but won't actually ride it? Bikes like this are for the latter group. Don't spend more than you need to on a bike you won't actually ride.

Also...

Mountain Biker's Tips For Becoming A Roadie

1. Your bike is different.

As a mountain biker, you are used to putting your back into it when you need to lift the thing onto a bike rack, over a log, or so forth. My own preferred method is to use the 'Clean and Jerk.' If you use similar force when lifting a road bike, there's a good chance you'll accidentally throw it over a building.

Also, you need to pump the tires up harder. Much harder. No, even harder than that. Generally, in fact, it takes the weight of two or three 'roadies' (an endearing term road cyclists like to call themselves) to push down hard enough on a standard floor pump to get the tires to the proper pressure.

How do you know when a road tire is inflated to the proper pressure? The answer is simple: it's hard enough when one single more stroke of the pump will blow it off the rim. The real art is, naturally, in knowing whether you've reached that point.

2. The terrain is different.

When you are mountain biking, you naturally are inclined to look for interesting obstacles to ride over -- roots, rocks, fallen logs are all part of the fun. On a road bike, on the other hand, anything but perfectly smooth pavement is a potentially life-threatening danger, and must be avoided at all costs. Further, if you are ahead of another cyclist, you must use elaborate hand gestures to indicate that there is -- horrors! -- a pebble 75 metres up the road.

3. Words you know have different meanings.

Since roadies and mountain bikers have a common heritage, it's no surprise that they share some vocabulary. It's also no surprise that the variance in meaning in some of that vocabulary can get you into trouble.

For example, if a mountain biker says a ride is 'technical', you can assume that there is loose shale, several ledge drops, high-penalty (e.g., death) exposure on one side of the trail, or slick, mossy roots twisting along the singletrack. If a roadie calls a ride 'technical' on the other hand, it most likely means that there is a roundabout somewhere in the ride.

As a second example, when a mountain biker talks about going on a 'group ride', it means that a bunch of friends got together, regrouped at junctures of the ride, talked as they were riding, and probably had a beer or twelve together after the ride. When roadies have a 'group ride', on the other hand, riders are expected to ride in a tight formation, paying strict attention to the gap between your front tire and the rear wheel ahead of you. the gap should be no more than four inches. After the obligatory ten minute warmup, it becomes each rider's dual purpose to drop every other rider, while not being dropped yourself.

4. Beware of triathletes.

As a mountain biker, you've always been deeply suspicious of triathletes. As a road cyclist, you will find out you were correct to be so, and you will find out why. Triathletes will try to infiltrate your ranks and join your rides, then demonstrate that they have no idea of how to ride in a group, and very little control of their direction of travel.

Most importantly, though, they wear these short shorts and tank tops that are just plain creepy.

5. You must now keep your bike clean.

On a mountain bike, dirt is a badge of honor. A little mud on the downtube tells other riders that you're not afraid to ride in the rough stuff. On a road bike, on the other hand, if your bike isn't 15 percent cleaner than when you bought it, you are a slovenly ne'er-do-well who cannot be trusted.

6. Your body needs to change.

As a mountain biker, you've no doubt noticed it's quite helpful to have not just strong legs, but strong arms as well. Roadies, on the other hand, regard their arms as a necessary evil, their sole function being to keep their chests from falling onto the bike's stem.

It's a well-known fact that roadies bind their arms to their sides when not riding bikes, doing everything they can to facilitate the atrophy of these non-contributing limbs.

7. What you look at changes.

When mountain biking, you have no doubt been astounded at the beauty around you -- the trees, the streams, wildlife, beautiful sandstone vistas. As a road cyclist, you will also find yourself occupied with things to look at, such as the pavement. Or, if you're riding in a group, you'll be treated to the constant, unavoidable sight of the butt of the guy riding ahead of you. And cars flying by you, yelling out helpful suggestions about what you should do and to whom, as well as their understanding of whether you belong on the road (their stance is that you do not).

It's breathtaking, frankly.

Jobiensis

Tan lines are great. I understand this is an issue for mountain bikers, as it requires you to shower every once in a while. ;)

Nobody likes triathletes. I live in a large population of them, luckily they tend to spend their mornings either feeding great white sharks or riding the flat sections of roads. Sticking to the hilly areas and you don't see them often. I have seen people using aerobars in the middle of a group.

vidcons

Banned
Things triathletes are thinking:

"Oh, did you expect me to pull on this climb?"

"Thanks for the lift but I'm just going to tuck my head down and make holding my wheel impossible for the next 10 minutes."

"Of course you passed me, I just set a new Strava time on this flat area on calm day!"

"They're called aero-bars, not brake-like-a-bitch-at-a-red bars."

davidnic

Things triathletes are thinking:

"Oh, did you expect me to pull on this climb?"

"Thanks for the lift but I'm just going to tuck my head down and make holding my wheel impossible for the next 10 minutes."

"Of course you passed me, I just set a new Strava time on this flat area on calm day!"

"They're called aero-bars, not brake-like-a-bitch-at-a-red bars."

haha I hate triathletes on there areo-bars in a pack it is dangerous.

Jobiensis

Are road bike wheels really that weak? It looked like it was bending all over the place.

Not very strong laterally, especially when it is a massively low spoke count (like the guy has in the video). Also, he broke a spoke from the collision, so he was one down.

Just an excuse to post a Cavendish pic.
7i2xdJD.jpg

It really depends on the wheel.

Lots of edits, keep in mind you would destroy a mountain bike wheel by sticking something in the spokes as it is moving.

Yea, while I rode my mountain bike on roads fairly often even the last 2 seasons, I'm going to miss the single tracks for a while.

My back yard is real choppy. When I started to be able to do yard work again last fall, I'd still real easily have my ankle start to roll on me.

Kind of gave me the excuse to buy a road bike earlier than I might have. Convinced my wife to get one too. She's got to test ride some tomorrow when I pick mine up.

Biking will help you rehab your ankle fast! I broke my ankle in June and have a plate with 8 screws in it. I exactly know that weakness that you described. Keep doing your exercises and the strength will come back. I noticed that once I started riding more often, the strength started coming back very well. I still go the the gym, do single leg presses, balances etc.

I also ride my mountain bike with the Aerocast ankle brace that my surgeon gave me. It does not inflate but give extra support (has 2 strips of metal on the sides and velcros on). It allows me to ride and have the extra support when unclipping or putting a foot down.

brentech

Biking will help you rehab your ankle fast! I broke my ankle in June and have a plate with 8 screws in it. I exactly know that weakness that you described. Keep doing your exercises and the strength will come back. I noticed that once I started riding more often, the strength started coming back very well. I still go the the gym, do single leg presses, balances etc.

I also ride my mountain bike with the Aerocast ankle brace that my surgeon gave me. It does not inflate but give extra support (has 2 strips of metal on the sides and velcros on). It allows me to ride and have the extra support when unclipping or putting a foot down.
Good to hear. I only got to ride once outdoors since finishing PT. I have rode a bit on my trainer as well, but a controlled environment only does so much.
I have an air cast as well, but I haven't used it since around October. I'm mostly fine with the usual stuff, just certain movements I really notice it as a hindrance.

Lots of edits, keep in mind you would destroy a mountain bike wheel by sticking something in the spokes as it is moving.

Not in my experience. My wheels have shrugged off full on branches (~2cm diameter) being put through them. It did take the coating off a few of the spokes if I recall correctly.

I don't plan on putting that to the test on a regular basis though. :)

Jobiensis

Not in my experience. My wheels have shrugged off full on branches (~2cm diameter) being put through them. It did take the coating off a few of the spokes if I recall correctly.

I don't plan on putting that to the test on a regular basis though. :)

I've broken a MTB spoke by putting my foot into the front wheel. Yes, I did crash spectacularly and couldn't walk well for a week. I told my parents I hit a pothole.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I am getting ready to buy a bike but have a bit of a dilemma. I want to ride the bike around my house area but I really want to get into mountain biking. I can only afford one bike at the moment and was wondering if it would be better to buy a mountain bike and just ride it around my house and in the mountains. Or should I just buy a road bike and save up for a mountain bike later... Do they have combo bikes? haha

Jobiensis

I am getting ready to buy a bike but have a bit of a dilemma. I want to ride the bike around my house area but I really want to get into mountain biking. I can only afford one bike at the moment and was wondering if it would be better to buy a mountain bike and just ride it around my house and in the mountains. Or should I just buy a road bike and save up for a mountain bike later... Do they have combo bikes? haha

It pains me to say this.

If you want a mountain bike get a mountain bike. You can ride one perfectly fine on the streets, you just won't look as stylish or go as fast.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
It pains me to say this.

If you want a mountain bike get a mountain bike. You can ride one perfectly fine on the streets, you just won't look as stylish or go as fast.

Cool Thanks! I'm not looking to be purty while riding! Just trying to get more physical and I didn't know if the mountain bike would completely suck when riding in town.

davidnic

It pains me to say this.

exactly what I was going to say, and the gearing will be good for the mountains too.

I ride my mountain bike to work everyday and its fine.

vidcons

Banned
MMm, think I'll take that nice lead in the distance category for this week's Strava comp.

Shaved legs are the best feeling in the world and I will hear nothing else.

I can never decide if I started shaving my legs because I was riding, or if I started riding so I could shave my legs. I developed a (justifiable) fear of traffic and haven't been riding in years, so I'm fat and hairy, but I do miss the feel of a shaved leg.

Bicycle-GAF, I need your help.

Younger cousin wants to get into trials/street bikes and has become infatuated with that Audi concept worthersee e-bike.

Is there any actual bike available that resembles the main frame? Tasked with locating a similar bike before his birthday so I come to GAF.

Otherwise, i'll just go with a We The People frame or something similar.

SmokyDave

Bicycle-GAF, I need your help.

Younger cousin wants to get into trials/street bikes and has become infatuated with that Audi concept worthersee e-bike.

Is there any actual bike available that resembles the main frame? Tasked with locating a similar bike before his birthday so I come to GAF.

Otherwise, i'll just go with a We The People frame or something similar.
The Audi concept is is gorgeous but it's a big full-susser. The closest I can think of would be an Orange Patriot or something but that's not a trials / street bike by any means. How about a Specialized P-Series?

Jobiensis

For the new cyclists here is a handy reference guide on the different type of cyclists

Roadie
KxBwVwG.jpg

Mountain Biker
pj4F9wZ.jpg

Triathlete
p6GpdQw.jpg

Fixie rider
39TvGAS.jpg

First day back on the trainer. Did the 1hr FTP test on TrainerRoad.

Actually did better than my last result but I think that's got a lot more to do with the bike (my old trainer bike was a serious clunker) than anything else.

Arse still hurting from the weekend. :(

vidcons

Banned
Is there footage of yesterday's sprint? The recap I saw said that the UCI wasn't letting that get televised.

I'm sure his sprint line poses are not winning him favors in the peloton, not that it matters with his legs.

brentech

First day back on the trainer. Did the 1hr FTP test on TrainerRoad.

Actually did better than my last result but I think that's got a lot more to do with the bike (my old trainer bike was a serious clunker) than anything else.

Arse still hurting from the weekend. :(
First ride on my new bike, on the trainer, damn thing's front derailleur locked up. Already got to bring it in tomorrow to have them make sure it's all fine.
Would have done it today but my LBS that I got it from and both their other stores are all closed for the days. So bummed. Was only 20min into the ride.

Top Bottom