• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

vidcons

Banned
I could cut through that with a concealable set of bolt cutters in about 5 seconds.

You don't even need something special. Use an allen wrench to take the seat post off, possibly something to deal with a skewer, and then kick the chain in half.

bolts would be faster.

Word to the wise: bike locks don't stop thieves, they deter. The better the lock, the bigger the time window to catch the thief in the act.

Also... uh...

hdPT1Dd.jpg

my new frame

Jobiensis

I have no problems riding in the rain, I actually enjoy it, but it really takes a toll on the bike. A 1.5 hour ride on Thursday basically ends up with me spending more than that amount of time cleaning and re-lubing everything. I'm certain the bottom bracket will need to be cleaned out as well, but really didn't want to spend the time on it this weekend.

I never lock up my bike. I don't typically let it get out of my sight, if I'm going into a diner/convenience store/coffee shop I set it to the highest gear and try to put it where I can see it. That way if someone tries to steal it, they are going to need quads like Greipel to outrun me in my cleats.

Nice vidcons, so was your frame questionable after the crash, or was it just a convenient excuse for an upgrade?

cbox

I did about 100km in the pouring rain in June for a charity ride and my bike the next day ( for the next 100km ) was a whining mess of a bike. I had to stop a couple times to lube up my chain and other parts just so they could function. It's like I was riding in a very strong head wind for about 15km.

vidcons

Banned
I have no problems riding in the rain, I actually enjoy it, but it really takes a toll on the bike. A 1.5 hour ride on Thursday basically ends up with me spending more than that amount of time cleaning and re-lubing everything. I'm certain the bottom bracket will need to be cleaned out as well, but really didn't want to spend the time on it this weekend.

I never lock up my bike. I don't typically let it get out of my sight, if I'm going into a diner/convenience store/coffee shop I set it to the highest gear and try to put it where I can see it. That way if someone tries to steal it, they are going to need quads like Greipel to outrun me in my cleats.

Nice vidcons, so was your frame questionable after the crash, or was it just a convenient excuse for an upgrade?

My old frame is going to get repaired for sure. I'll probably resell it for $500-800, depending on what people suggest. Pic of the damage. http://imgur.com/w8dldDa

I don't know if it's really an upgrade, but the frame is certainly new enough for me to get excited. I linked to the TCR but actually am getting the Defy Advanced. Not much difference other than less glossy finish and a bigger headtube.

davidnic

I did about 100km in the pouring rain in June for a charity ride and my bike the next day ( for the next 100km ) was a whining mess of a bike. I had to stop a couple times to lube up my chain and other parts just so they could function. It's like I was riding in a very strong head wind for about 15km.

I sometimes I have a problem riding in the rain I don't know why I just dislike it else it just raining lighting I will go out. I rather do ergo and do a quality workout and enjoy it if it pouring rain.

Getting a power meter soon for my TT bike...
sram-red-quarq-web.jpg

ameratsu

Bike shop let me take a Surly Moonlander for a spin around the block. So much fun in the snow! I want one
but i'm not spending $2k+ on a fat bike

muu

You just need to get a slightly shittier rain bike with full fenders. Been commuting about an hr each way in Oregon weather for the last 2 months w/ no probs, I just take 10 secs to dry the chain off with paper towels when I get to work/back home. I figure when things get truly out of hand (I'm pretending to not see all the gunk on those pulleys) I'll unleash the garden hose on it, a little bit of rust be damned.

ameratsu

I am a pretty unabashed fair weather cyclist (in the summer) so I wouldn't be commuting. But I'd like a fat bike because it was a lot more fun to ride than something with much skinnier tires given ice/deep snow. It would be fantastic to take out during snowstorms and bomb around town. I'd buy a moonlander in great shape for <$1k in a heartbeat.

Jobiensis

Getting a power meter soon for my TT bike...

I really want to get a Quarq; but then I think I should really update to a Hollowgram first; then I think I should really update the entire gruppo first; then I start calculating out the prices and do nothing. I find it really difficult to train with just a HRM, some days it is very hard to keep it in Z4 without it spiking into Z5 due to lag, and the weather bouncing cold and hot also seems to have a dramatic effect on my heart rate. I'm hoping that I can free up enough funds to get some sort of powermeter after the hard Spring rides I have planned (if they go well) and before (if I can get in) Lotoja so I can use it for those training rounds. If not maybe next year.

I hear you on the fenders Muu, maybe when I get a new bike in a couple years, the CAAD can be my beater.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I live in Seattle and only cycle recreationally, so no cycling basically between the end of October then the end of April. I am lame, I know.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience/setups for storing a bike indoors, stuff like ceiling hooks etc.

As much as I'd love something as elegant as these, it'd be real tight on space. That said, some of those DIY ones are fantastic.

davidnic

I really want to get a Quarq; but then I think I should really update to a Hollowgram first; then I think I should really update the entire gruppo first; then I start calculating out the prices and do nothing. I find it really difficult to train with just a HRM, some days it is very hard to keep it in Z4 without it spiking into Z5 due to lag, and the weather bouncing cold and hot also seems to have a dramatic effect on my heart rate. I'm hoping that I can free up enough funds to get some sort of powermeter after the hard Spring rides I have planned (if they go well) and before (if I can get in) Lotoja so I can use it for those training rounds. If not maybe next year.

I been wanting Quarq or SRM since last year cause it a better way to train with power you see improvements alot easily. But this year seeing the Para-Cycling program are going to give certain athletes (Paralympic Athletes) one I thought I will buy the second for my TT.

Which came to my local bike shop yesterday so I know what I am doing on the weekend!

6fasxPY.jpg

Jobiensis

I'm looking forward to the coming rest week.

Nice Daven, you need to link up to the Strava group.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience/setups for storing a bike indoors, stuff like ceiling hooks etc.

As much as I'd love something as elegant as these, it'd be real tight on space. That said, some of those DIY ones are fantastic.

If you are somewhat handy I think taking one of the DIY ideas might be best. I bought a freestanding bike rack and ended up immediately returning it because it was so unstable. The most simple for one bike would just be a pedal stand, although I don't know how well they work. For multiple bikes, even though it isn't as pretty, I think the best method is a saddle mount bike stand, basically all you need is a pole/2x4 high enough to hang the bike by the front of the saddle. Ceiling hooks work fine, but aren't very wife friendly (if that is a concern).

I have no idea how you guys up north ride in the cold. It's 55 here in Florida and I had to call it quits 10 miles in (night ride). Breathing sucks, joints are always tight and I never warm up, I just get colder. I guess it would help to get some cold riding gear but its not cold long enough for the investment.

55's not that bad, and this is from southern california. I just put on some light gloves and I'm pretty much fine, even a jacket gets hot after a while. once it hits the 40's though that's a different issue, I have to resort to a beanie

Well I only have Florida gear, so it was bib shorts, normal jersey and mtb gloves full fingers that breath a lot and at night, so it's probably just a gear thing. After about mile 6 I start to smell bleach, only happens in the cold.

I rode like 5 or 6 miles the other night in 50 degree weather but I don't have any legit biking gear, I was just wearing cords, a t-shirt and light jacket and some snowboard glove liners.

I wonder how much riding a fixed gear contributes to being warm while you ride

vidcons

Banned
55? lol, that's like the minimum you can go in just a pair of bibs and jersey. anything below that and you should at least have a pair of cheap walmart underarmor (STARz brand)

Jobiensis

I think temps are similar to gradients, you get used to what you ride. Personally, I don't dress differently for 55 than 105, but a coworker breaks out the warmers once it drops below 60. I prefer full finger gloves no matter what the temp.

Anyone know any good hybrid bikes in the $400 range? I want one to ride to school and work (about a 5 mile ride) and to ride some trails and the bike path near my place. Trails aren't anything crazy, they're dirt but very well worn.

I'm really iffy about buying used. Is there any decent bikes I can get for that price or should I just grab one at Target or Costco or whatever?

Never ever buy a bike at Target, Wal-mart or Costco. It's pure garbage that will break down.

Used really is the best way to get bang-for-buck. If you live in a city, see if there's any places where they sell second-hand, perhaps a bike coop-type shop.

The cheapest "acceptable" new bikes you can buy are at bikesdirect.com. It's a step up from Wallyworld, but still not 'good' or anything. Check their website to see if they have anything that fits your needs.

Any Camden or east London cyclists know of somewhere that sells copper grease? Getting new pedals delivered tomorrow but haven't got any. Don't fancy paying the extortionate amount cycle websites charge for a ridiculous tube when you can get a 500g tub for about 6 quid from a car maintenance type shop.

muu

if you got 400 to burn there has to be a local shop that's got a decent entry-level bike on clearance. The biggest cost starting out is going to be 1) accessories and 2) repairs, and buying from a shop makes #2 easy while you're starting out. If there's a bike coop or REI nearby, they should have repair classes that'll also be handy.

If you just buy a used bike on CL or a cheap one off walmart, the first time you run into a significant problem you're probably going to stop using it. And you just managed to waste $400.

Speaking of Craigslist I am in need of a bike. I need to get a road bike fast but I don't have much time for research. I was hoping one of the more knowledgeable guys on the site might be able to help me out. I am thinking of getting this bike

I will be riding at most 15 miles on one trip and on average about 5 miles per day. I figure with such a short trip any seat will be decently comfortable. Any ideas what questions I should ask this guy? I don't know what the hell to offer this guy for this bike, wondering where you all might start for it?

vidcons

Banned
Speaking of Craigslist I am in need of a bike. I need to get a road bike fast but I don't have much time for research. I was hoping one of the more knowledgeable guys on the site might be able to help me out. I am thinking of getting this bike

I will be riding at most 15 miles on one trip and on average about 5 miles per day. I figure with such a short trip any seat will be decently comfortable. Any ideas what questions I should ask this guy? I don't know what the hell to offer this guy for this bike, wondering where you all might start for it?

$250

If you're commuting, get a pair of cycling shorts and some gold bond so you're not walking around with stinky swamp butt for the work day.
The cheapest "acceptable" new bikes you can buy are at bikesdirect.com. It's a step up from Wallyworld, but still not 'good' or anything. Check their website to see if they have anything that fits your needs.
They're not bad. Questionable frame quality, although I'm guessing it's more branding and lower quality standards. You can also get some snazzy components for cheap.

My buddy at a shop gave me an awesome deal on a 2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO frame, which is exactly the same as this years Jet 9 Carbon (which I was originally saving up for) just different color. Threw some money down for them to hold for me till the end of the month. I'm super hyped. Frame weighs like 5.4lbs or something crazy.
IMG_0877sm.JPG

What it will look like built.
ninerjet9-2.jpg

I'm looking to put the Crossmax STs on in it. I want the SLR, but I'm still too heavy for them. By next year I plan to be able to choose any weight wheel set I want. :D
crossmax-st-disc-2012-z.jpg

Still researching a group set and fork. Definitely going to get something 15mm. :D

ameratsu

Wish it was easier to find steel road bikes/frames where I live. Currently have a 54cm 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia as a commuter bike. Bike is great, but I really should be riding a ~61cm frame. I can feel it in my knees compared to my Giant road bike that is sized correctly.

Maybe I'll hit up garage sales in the spring to try and find a diamond in the rough.

muu

Any PacificNW folks sign up for STP? First time riding it this year, doing the 2-day option as I'm riding w/ a few friends that haven't done anything longer than 50miles before.

vidcons

Banned
Strava group, I'm thinking that we should do another distance and elevation challenge now that the season is getting even closer to starting. So let's say, Monday - Sunday (11-17).

Also, pretty neat website to look at your stats http://veloviewer.com/

You can see your distance behind the KOM all clustered on a single graph against the elevation change on the segment. It's really cool and nice to have all of your data easily accessible in some charts and what not.

Jobiensis

Strava group, I'm thinking that we should do another distance and elevation challenge now that the season is getting even closer to starting. So let's say, Monday - Sunday (11-17).

Rest week is over, I'm up for it. Feel a bit (but not too much) guilty about my weather advantage.

Also, pretty neat website to look at your stats http://veloviewer.com/

You can see your distance behind the KOM all clustered on a single graph against the elevation change on the segment. It's really cool and nice to have all of your data easily accessible in some charts and what not.

The veloflow is neat to look at a big event (fun ride/century), you can see how your ride played out with all the other riders, strange that you have to select a segment to start it since it shows the entire ride.

So what are some of the most recommended lighting systems? I'm really tired of just the cheap 20 dollar handlebar mounted lights. Currently, I just have a little pocket LED flashlight strapped to my helmet but I'm changing the batteries often. I don't mind spending more, but please GAF recommend me something good!

Jobiensis

Haha, it just started snowing. I'm expecting you to demolish everyone again.

oh
VyVD1gCl.jpg

Nice, matching bottle cages too.

Speaking of snow, karma is a bitch. I don't have proper clothes or tires for this!

FE3jqfi.jpg

So what are some of the most recommended lighting systems? I'm really tired of just the cheap 20 dollar handlebar mounted lights. Currently, I just have a little pocket LED flashlight strapped to my helmet but I'm changing the batteries often. I don't mind spending more, but please GAF recommend me something good!

Cygolite and NiteRider make nice lights. There are cheaper options but these work pretty well for riding at night. I believe my Lumina was around $150.

vidcons

Banned
Damn! Run out to Walmart and get a pair of their cheap stuff. They're surprisingly not terrible for being ~$10.

Looks like it might be some stuff that'll stick around for a day.

All of the snow we got today has already melted. I don't understand this town.

Lights: I figure either a stronger handlebar light or a headlamp will do the trick.

Jobiensis

I should say that was 3k+ft / 30 miles up a hill from where I live. Biggest problems were not being able to feel my feet for 3 hours and the roads being incredibly slick. I'm using Conti GP4000s and they have fairly decent wet traction, but hard pack snow is a different story.

Do you use shoe covers? Climbing I was OK except my feet. Descending, well, it was very cold, but I would rather freeze on a descent than roast on the ascent.

I have two of these. One is branded by Spoke Grenade (discontinued now) and cost me $80. I bought that one for the warranty, but really should have just bought two of cheaper ones. All of them are pretty much the same exact thing except different temps and accessories. The Spoke Grenade I wear it on my helmet on the trails and the other I put on my bars, both road and MTB. I bought this diffuser for the bars and it adds a good amount of horizontal throw. The CREE came with a smaller battery, and honestly I had to open it because the solder points broke after one charge. I'm not sure if it was bad luck or what though.

Top is the CREE with diffuser, bottom is Spoke Grenade.
Image%202013.01.29%207-58-52%20PM.png

If you want real quality though, NiteRider stuff is supposed to be awesome.

vidcons

Banned
I should say that was 3k+ft / 30 miles up a hill from where I live. Biggest problems were not being able to feel my feet for 3 hours and the roads being incredibly slick. I'm using Conti GP4000s and they have fairly decent wet traction, but hard pack snow is a different story.

Do you use shoe covers? Climbing I was OK except my feet. Descending, well, it was very cold, but I would rather freeze on a descent than roast on the ascent.

No, but that's only because I never have my shoes on me when I head out to a store. I'll probably pick some up this week. What I've been doing is a thermal silk sock underneath a pair of Smartwool or DeFeet.

Careful with the 4000s, my experience is that they'll puncture easily when wet, despite how they handle. I saw Conti's Four Season tires on sale a while ago, might be worth looking into.

I can't bring myself to leave my bikes alone in public spaces, locked or otherwise. I just can't do it.

As a general rule for myself, I won't leave my Bianchi locked up outside alone for more than around 10 minutes at a time. And that's with a pretty beefy Kryptonite U-lock.

It just gets too much attention to leave it out longer than that. When I bought it I never thought people would as drawn to it as they are - I've come back to my bike to have people gawking and taking pictures of it, taking pictures of me riding it and I get stopped pretty often because people just want to ask questions about it; usually "why just one brake?" or "aren't fixed gears dangerous?"

Roadies will occasionally chat me up about my bike also, and I really enjoy those conversations.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've always wanted to get "into" bikes, but have never been able to. I ride my bike everyday, but I can't get interested about fixing it up and making it look cool and stuff. Part of me wants to, but it's not the kinda thing you can force.

I've always wanted to get "into" bikes, but have never been able to. I ride my bike everyday, but I can't get interested about fixing it up and making it look cool and stuff. Part of me wants to, but it's not the kinda thing you can force.

Just ride your bike and focus on enjoying it. If the urge comes to upgrade great, if it doesn't that is even better. :)

First day back cycling was horrible. My worst average speed ever and it's clear that there's been a not insignificant amount of damage done to my leg. :(

Worse than that, the rain, wind and cold got so bad (especially at the peak altitude) that I very nearly just curled up and died. Was all I could do to keep going and my hands and feet were agony (I forgot my sealskins and it turns out that my gloves aren't actually waterproof).

Large sections of the trail were completely flooded and took significant time to bypass (or in one case, wade through). Annoyingly there were a couple of gates flooded too and there's basically no way to avoid those unless you want to try and climb over a barbed wire fence.

Not happy. :mad:

Top Bottom