• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

vidcons

Banned
So, Bicycle-GAF!

I have a question. My mom doesn't have a car right now (I'm planning on buy one for her by the end of the year) and she has to go to work Monday to Friday, walking. Now, her work is not very far away. Like 1.5 miles.

Well... I want to buy a bicycle for her, but keep in mind that she is 51!

So, do you guys have a recommendations? I would like to buy her a smaller bike than the typical 26"... basically, what I want is to buy her a very comfortable bicycle. I guess a 24" with a nice gel seat would be ideal.

But I want to hear the opinion of the experts, please!

Felt Cafe

Asimov

Banned
The wife has one of these: Cannondale Women's Quick. Great bang for the buck and comfortable to boot.

Well... I trust your word that that's a good bike, but those are the ones I'm trying to avoid. The ones with the seat almost the height of the handles. Remember, my mom is not that young anymore.

I guess I want one with a much lower seat. I don't know if you guys understand me (English is not my primary language).

SmokyDave

Anyone got any experience with 73mm external BBs and chain guides?

If I set it up correctly (chain guide in place of 2.5mm drive side spacer), the chain line is miles out. I need to remove the chain guide and pop a 2.5mm spacer in the non-drive side to get the correct chain line. I'm starting to worry that my frame is misaligned. I miss the simplicity of square taper BBs and DCDs :(

Here you go! I actually found a place to install them the day I got the forks. They ride so sweetly, plush while being laterally stiff. An incredible improvement! This is my 2001 Specialized Enduro with a BETD needle bearing link that goes up to 6 inches. I have it set at 5". Everything except the frame, shock and hubs have been upgraded over the years.

FSRMInute.jpg
Mmmm, she's lovely. Same colour scheme as my GT Lopes but reversed. I missed the FSR boat until I picked up an 09 FSR XC Expert and now I can't believe what I was missing. Plush enough to roll down the nastiest hills, but light and responsive enough to get back up again. Glad the new forks are working out for you!

davidnic

If you want an awesome Road bike Training Tyre get the Maxxis Re-Fuse, I change had change my back Tyre cause it had 1 hole in it and was also going flat on top but the front one is still going strong.

I been on the set before I went to the Paralympics and live in Australia Qld where the road are not the best. I highly recommend these Tyres.

Jobiensis

Hit a bird today. Don't know what the hell the thing was thinking, I wasn't even going that fast.

Training cycle almost done, should be nice weather for a nice long mountain ride on Saturday.

Can anyone recommend a handy guide to basic bike maintenance online? I bought a brush, degreaser, and lube, but the manual that came with my Trek FX isn't too helpful for a visual guy such as myself. I'm just now getting around to finally servicing my commuter hybrid. I've rebuilt cylinder heads before, but somehow I find bikes more complicated......

Also, is there anything I can do to increase chain tension? I seem to be getting a bit of noise from the chain rubbing the derailleur, but its only during pedaling under load and not back-pedaling.

Yep that workout would of sucked mate. I hope you drunk alot of water\ sport drink during that workout or after?

I managed to get through a litre bottle. Seemed barely sufficient.

Can anyone recommend a handy guide to basic bike maintenance online? I bought a brush, degreaser, and lube, but the manual that came with my Trek FX isn't too helpful for a visual guy such as myself. I'm just now getting around to finally servicing my commuter hybrid. I've rebuilt cylinder heads before, but somehow I find bikes more complicated......

Also, is there anything I can do to increase chain tension? I seem to be getting a bit of noise from the chain rubbing the derailleur, but its only during pedaling under load and not back-pedaling.

Park Tools's website is a good place to start. A lot of their articles are geared to getting you to buy their tools, but they're pretty damn comprehensive.

Well... I trust your word that that's a good bike, but those are the ones I'm trying to avoid. The ones with the seat almost the height of the handles. Remember, my mom is not that young anymore.

I guess I want one with a much lower seat. I don't know if you guys understand me (English is not my primary language).

I don't know if decathlon will ship to you (countries at bottom of page), but this sounds like what you want

Couple of other varieties here.

So, Bicycle-GAF!

I have a question. My mom doesn't have a car right now (I'm planning on buy one for her by the end of the year) and she has to go to work Monday to Friday, walking. Now, her work is not very far away. Like 1.5 miles.

Well... I want to buy a bicycle for her, but keep in mind that she is 51!

So, do you guys have a recommendations? I would like to buy her a smaller bike than the typical 26"... basically, what I want is to buy her a very comfortable bicycle. I guess a 24" with a nice gel seat would be ideal.

But I want to hear the opinion of the experts, please!

How about a Townie? Very comfy with their foot forward pedals.

electra_comfortcruiser_townie.jpg

On another note, I just scored 2 Nevegals 2.35 DTC on ebay for @ $25!! it will be nice to have fresh rubber on my ride. My current tires are about 7 years old.

Oh! Didn't know GAF had Bicycle age! Here is my dutch bike that I imported from the Netherlands a couple years back:

28625_135344236476191_7160082_n.jpg

And here are my female friends modeling them for me just because I know GAF likes girls on bikes:
32525_136268406383774_4242189_n.jpg

32525_136268613050420_7074512_n.jpg

6533_102483856428896_5766686_n.jpg

Girls love my bike, what can I say...

vidcons

Banned
Cookies? An entire night of drinking and dairy delights to wash it all down. Then I can burn it all off with a huge effort tomorrow.

and Sunday.

and maybe I'll be in shape for the upcoming race.

Jobiensis

Hills are always easier the second time around!

I'm sure no one cares, but alcohol is terrible during the recovery period. The alcohol mucks up gylcogen synthesis in the liver, so while you'll get the carbs, they won't go where they are needed.
/debbie downer

vidcons

Banned
Yeah, beer probably isn't the best thing, but I also just got a 3 week old bottle of Pliny The Elder.

I'll be good some day.

Jobiensis

Just ruined another Mavic rim. :/

My fault, I was descending, taking the lane. Moved over to let someone by, corner comes up, and see a nice rock in my way. Car on the left, rock in front, crushed lava rock on the right. Figure I could just make it on the right and keep out of the gravelly crap. Made the mistake of looking at the rock at the last second, which caused me to slightly go left and nail it. Don't know how I managed to stop right side up. Good 40mph to zero test. Brake track is slightly smooshed, wheels aren't too out of true. Knowing Mavic, they'll want to replace all the spokes.

I think I'll get a more aero wheel that uses standard spokes and hubs now. For the time being I guess I'm back on Fulcrum 7s. Really like Zipp 101s, but probably going to opt for something cheaper.

Picked up my Niner Jet 9 RDO frame a couple weeks ago. It'll be awhile till I build it but I'll post it here and there as I get some parts. I got a good deal on a Chris King headset so I had that installed today. Looking at getting a Fox Float 32 120 CTD, SLX groupset with 1x chainring, carbon seatpost/bars. I might do some XT parts on the drivetrain, not completely sure yet.
agasrdghasf.JPG

sfasgsasdgsr.JPG

Got my Niner built up. Lets ride some dirt.
Yay, another Ninerd! Very nice.

vidcons

Banned
Just ruined another Mavic rim. :/

My fault, I was descending, taking the lane. Moved over to let someone by, corner comes up, and see a nice rock in my way. Car on the left, rock in front, crushed lava rock on the right. Figure I could just make it on the right and keep out of the gravelly crap. Made the mistake of looking at the rock at the last second, which caused me to slightly go left and nail it. Don't know how I managed to stop right side up. Good 40mph to zero test. Brake track is slightly smooshed, wheels aren't too out of true. Knowing Mavic, they'll want to replace all the spokes.

I think I'll get a more aero wheel that uses standard spokes and hubs now. For the time being I guess I'm back on Fulcrum 7s. Really like Zipp 101s, but probably going to opt for something cheaper.

Damn, you're lucky.

What Mavic wheels were you running?

e; Just ran the course for next weekends race. Not that upset with my placement on the Strava boards considering every corner had a good chunk of loose dirt I needed to slow down for. Feeling really good about this race. Guess I'll be doing sprint work all week.

Jobiensis

Damn, you're lucky.

What Mavic wheels were you running?

Yeah, that could have easily gone very badly. My previous assessment was off, the wheel is not even close to true, swapped over completely to the Fulcrums. I'm trying to work the spousal sympathy angle to get some new wheels.

They are Mavic Ksyrium Elites, and I like them, but the company is a pain to deal with. I'll probably end up with some Velocity A23 variant. I'm incredibly hard on equipment, I ride rough roads, dirt, gravel. I need something that if I bend a rim I'm not basically replacing the entire wheel.

e; Just ran the course for next weekends race. Not that upset with my placement on the Strava boards considering every corner had a good chunk of loose dirt I needed to slow down for. Feeling really good about this race. Guess I'll be doing sprint work all week.

Cool man, Good Luck! What cat are you? I'm signed up for my first real race next week. Tail end of a rest week, so I'll have to do with just some short intervals and hope I don't get dropped too quickly.

vidcons

Banned
Yeah, that could have easily gone very badly. My previous assessment was off, the wheel is not even close to true, swapped over completely to the Fulcrums. I'm trying to work the spousal sympathy angle to get some new wheels.

They are Mavic Ksyrium Elites, and I like them, but the company is a pain to deal with. I'll probably end up with some Velocity A23 variant. I'm incredibly hard on equipment, I ride rough roads, dirt, gravel. I need something that if I bend a rim I'm not basically replacing the entire wheel.

Cool man, Good Luck! What cat are you? I'm signed up for my first real race next week. Tail end of a rest week, so I'll have to do with just some short intervals and hope I don't get dropped too quickly.

Shimano RS-10s are pretty killer training wheels. They're low end and I'm sure that my set is one of the rare cases of them not going bonkers with alignment. Still, they're solid and have hit enough hard shit to have me recommend them.

I'm riding collegiate so Men's C but I'd be a Cat 5 if I had the extra money to upgrade my license. Are you doing a race or a crit? By the end of the season (or at least summer) I'll hopefully be in the B's and 4's.

Jobiensis

Doing a crit on Sat, followed by a road race (only 39 miles though) on Sunday. Only goals for these are to not get dropped and not crash. :)

Aha! Didn't realise there was a bicycle-GAF. Any UK bikers up in this? I like to do mountain trials like Gisburn forest, Coed-y-Brenin, Grizedale and some others I can't remember the names of. Any recommendations, GAF?

Here's my weapon of choice:
carrera-fury-20-mens-mountain-bike-08.jpg

I assume Carrera get a bad rep for being affiliated with a chain like Halfords, but it really is a great frame. My dad and I both prefer it to his GT which cost about £200 more.

FAKE EDIT: After a quick Google, it seems that the AM Fury series is actually held in pretty high regard. Rightly so; great bike for the money.

davidnic

Doing a crit on Sat, followed by a road race (only 39 miles though) on Sunday. Only goals for these are to not get dropped and not crash. :)

Good luck mate, a trip for the crit is to stay up the front otherwise you with be sprinting hard out of every corner if you out the back or last wheel and oh course it will easier up the front if you stay there crit's in my experience is all about balls to corner and push people out of the way.

Aha! Didn't realise there was a bicycle-GAF. Any UK bikers up in this? I like to do mountain trials like Gisburn forest, Coed-y-Brenin, Grizedale and some others I can't remember the names of. Any recommendations, GAF?

Coed-y-Brenin is fantastic. Where are you based? If you're willing to venture outside of the trail centres you could try this one: Foel Fadian - Machynlleth (I've not tried it yet, I copied it from a book which has provided me with some great rides). Depending on how close you are to North Wales you could also try Coed Llandegla, which is really good, or one of a bunch of North Wales trails listed here. There's also Nant-yr-Arian near Aberystwyth, though I've not tried that yet.

As for the Fury, they're great bikes. Who cares if it's from Halfords when it's got a spec like that. My missus has a 2011 Fury which I think spanks my bike on the whole.

Unrelated, riding after finishing 2 hours on the trainer only 6 hours earlier (and only after 4 hours of sleep) is not a fun thing to do - First hill basically broke me. That said, not as much as it broke my nephew, who ended up needing to use an inhaler, and then 10 minutes later threw up. lol

SmokyDave

Here's my weapon of choice:
carrera-fury-20-mens-mountain-bike-08.jpg

I assume Carrera get a bad rep for being affiliated with a chain like Halfords, but it really is a great frame. My dad and I both prefer it to his GT which cost about £200 more.

FAKE EDIT: After a quick Google, it seems that the AM Fury series is actually held in pretty high regard. Rightly so; great bike for the money.
UK-Bike-GAF represent!

I'm a lot closer to Sherwood Pines than anywhere else but I'm hoping to try out a few of the further afield trail centres this summer. Fingers crossed for some nice weather.

I dig the Carrera. They're great value for money and remarkably competent out on the trail, from the ones I've ridden. Halfords do sell some dodgy crap but it's not fair to lump all the Carrera models in there too.

I got the chain guide fitted to the GT on Saturday. Took an awful lot of filing down on the chainring bolts and the upper & lower cages but finally fitted without fouling anything. Chain line seems to be about right, there's a little jump between 4th and 5th but nothing major. Took a quick shot with my iPhone while I was out:

I'm infatuated with this bike. Edit: I'm aware the front disc is on backwards and both brake hoses need cutting! She's a work-in-progress.

Coed-y-Brenin is fantastic. Where are you based? If you're willing to venture outside of the trail centres you could try this one: Foel Fadian - Machynlleth (I've not tried it yet, I copied it from a book which has provided me with some great rides). Depending on how close you are to North Wales you could also try Coed Llandegla, which is really good, or one of a bunch of North Wales trails listed here. There's also Nant-yr-Arian near Aberystwyth, though I've not tried that yet.

I'm based up in Preston, Lancashire. Near Bolton, Blackburn, Wigan, Blackpool etc. I actually have been to Machynlleth, it's pretty good! Lots and lots of berms if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the suggestions and the warm welcome, everyone. Will definitely check some of these out when it gets a bit warmer ;)

I'm in South Wales, so I'm quite lucky to have access to a hell of a lot of trails within an hours drive. A ridiculous amount if I'm willing to push that to 1hr 45m.

I don't generally like driving more than that though. It's not so much fun when you're driving as much as you're riding.

ameratsu

Very strongly considering building a bike for the first time ever. Looking at getting a Soma Double Cross frame and buying a 105-equipped road bike on craigslist to strip down and use for parts. I have a poor assortment of cycling-specific tools, so I assume I will have to get a shop put in a headset and install the BB.

Any tips on where to find cheap bike-specific tools? Also possibly a shopping list for tools. The only thing I have is hex keys; would also like a recommendation for a mechanic stand for ~$100.

edit: is this a good value? Or are there a bunch of tools I won't really use?

The home mechanic and advanced mechanic kits here will give you a rough idea of where you should start.

http://www.parktool.com/category/tool-kits

Personally I'd say something like... chain whip, appropriate socket to remove your cassette, torque wrench (low range), cone spanners, chain breaking tool, spoke key and an adjustable spanner. Maybe also a rubber mallet, just for fun. :) I assume you have tyre levers.

Addons are things like bottom bracket tools, cable cutters and crank pullers.

Edit - That set has you pretty well covered for most things. Can't speak for quality though. Maybe have a look on Bikeradar.com to see if they've reviewed any kits.

Jobiensis

Good luck mate, a trip for the crit is to stay up the front otherwise you with be sprinting hard out of every corner if you out the back or last wheel and oh course it will easier up the front if you stay there crit's in my experience is all about balls to corner and push people out of the way.

Thanks, I honestly have no idea what to expect. I wouldn't consider myself very fast or strong, and the breadth of talent here is insane. The fact I've done no training for this event isn't going to help either. Fully expect to get destroyed, but should be a fun experience regardless.

Edit: Ameratsu, for bottom bracket and headset, anything that is press fit (not all bottom brackets are) will probably be more cost effective to have a shop do. There are different types that require different tools. PT broke down the list of necessities real well. Craigslist might be your best bet for a bike stand.

muu

Must have pulled something on the hip or groin when I went down last week. Progressive pain on the outer left hip and in the groin. Gonna have to stay off the bike now as there's definitely some discomfort sitting.

Faithless

Bicycle GAF, I just bought my first brand-new bike, for city riding and grocery shopping. Wanted a Dutch bike but the entry price for an import was cost-prohibitive. Between the skirt-style Linus and this one, I decided I liked the feel and look of the Rosewood Mixte 3 better. And because my bike is so casual, I've ridden it 10X more than my old mountain-bike. Love it.

muu

Injuries suck. I'm still very nervous of any leg pain after my DVT. :(

Sucks even more now that I call up the dr's office for orthopedics/sports med, and I'm told my appointment is in a month. I mean holy shit, seriously? Hopefully I can find somewhere else that's got less than 2 weeks of wait time but it seems I may just have to let time do the healing here.

davidnic

The home mechanic and advanced mechanic kits here will give you a rough idea of where you should start.

http://www.parktool.com/category/tool-kits

Personally I'd say something like... chain whip, appropriate socket to remove your cassette, torque wrench (low range), cone spanners, chain breaking tool, spoke key and an adjustable spanner. Maybe also a rubber mallet, just for fun. :) I assume you have tyre levers.

Addons are things like bottom bracket tools, cable cutters and crank pullers.

Edit - That set has you pretty well covered for most things. Can't speak for quality though. Maybe have a look on Bikeradar.com to see if they've reviewed any kits.

Parktool is a good band for tools.. The the park tools I have are good!

Brera

Banned
Sweet! My new fork and headset came in today. A Manitou Minute Expert 130mm and FSA Orbit XLII . Finally time to replace the tired Rock Shox on my bike.

IMAG0671.jpg

Sweet!

My Bike has a Manitou Marvel Expert. Seems like a great company and something a bit different.

What is everyone's opinion on the bikes sold at REI? We just had one open up in town, the first in Florida, and when one of the sales employees was rattling off the brands they carry and would be getting, I hadn't heard of any of them aside from Diamondback. Obviously Novara is their store brand, but I was thinking some of those other brands may be their generics as well. My research online shows that they are fairly-decent low-end component bikes that basically come from the same factories in Asia as any low-end bike from the major manufacturers. They had a really awesome cruiser there that was fully tricked out, including internal hub gearing.

I hope they become one of the stores permitted to carry Cannondale and the other big names.

Top Bottom