• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

vidcons

Banned
Hot damn, got back from team practice. Looks like I might also be racing a team time trial this weekend. Wooooo

Got a big confidence boost from the coach who had me as one of the 3~4 guys on the team to be identified as a sprinter. That felt really good, although I didn't feel up to snuff and just lost against other sprinters at the line. Still came away with a lot of knowledge from the captain and coach.

So pumped for this weekend.

vidcons

Banned
I'm at that prime age where I'm racing against guys who are 2 years younger than me and it feels sort of bad, but I also want to crush souls with my seniority.

Just gotta get the legs working.

e; how many old men are you going to make cry?

Amusingly I ran into a couple of (now senior) ex cross country champions a few months back who would quite happily do an entire trail, eat some crumpets and then do the trail again before I'd even made it through two thirds of it.

So I'll stick to being faster than morbidly obese riders and very small children.

Jobiensis

Nice going vidcons. Take it from someone that is probably 10 years older than Psychotext, don't show any mercy, crush those younglings.

I met a 70 year old racer the other day on a ride back from hill repeats. He was pretty damn fit.

Jobiensis

What is everyone's opinion on the bikes sold at REI? We just had one open up in town, the first in Florida, and when one of the sales employees was rattling off the brands they carry and would be getting, I hadn't heard of any of them aside from Diamondback. Obviously Novara is their store brand, but I was thinking some of those other brands may be their generics as well. My research online shows that they are fairly-decent low-end component bikes that basically come from the same factories in Asia as any low-end bike from the major manufacturers. They had a really awesome cruiser there that was fully tricked out, including internal hub gearing.

I hope they become one of the stores permitted to carry Cannondale and the other big names.

It just depends, like you say some REI's carry Cannondales and I don't think any sane person would call them dept. store bikes. I would look for reviews of the specific bike you are looking at. Sporting goods stores do sell some decent bikes, but if you have questions or problems, LBS generally have more knowledgeable people. I had some guy at a Sport Chalet that didn't even know what a quick-release skewer was (and he was working on putting together a bike!). Called out his supervisor, and he tells me those are called spokes.

http://www.betabrand.com/bike-to-work/bike-to-work-britches.html

Has anyone here seen a pair of these? They look decent enough but $100+ is a lot of money. A jacket I wear every day makes sense but pants?

You don't wear pants every day? ;)

What is everyone's opinion on the bikes sold at REI? We just had one open up in town, the first in Florida, and when one of the sales employees was rattling off the brands they carry and would be getting, I hadn't heard of any of them aside from Diamondback. Obviously Novara is their store brand, but I was thinking some of those other brands may be their generics as well. My research online shows that they are fairly-decent low-end component bikes that basically come from the same factories in Asia as any low-end bike from the major manufacturers. They had a really awesome cruiser there that was fully tricked out, including internal hub gearing.

I hope they become one of the stores permitted to carry Cannondale and the other big names.

Well I picked up my Scott from REI as they were the only Scott dealer in my valley. They have some good bikes if you know what your looking for.

ameratsu

Guys I need help.

I am given a physical activity credit at my current job. I get $620 per year which is paid as a lump sum at the start of the year. However, I have resigned and this entire sum needs to be spent by tomorrow.

Please give me suggestions on how to spend the $550 I have left. I could use some carbon wheels for my road bike, i guess? I don't know. I am also considering buying a chinese carbon cyclocross frame to build up but researching different models is making my head spin.

Guys I need help.

I am given a physical activity credit at my current job. I get $620 per year which is paid as a lump sum at the start of the year. However, I have resigned and this entire sum needs to be spent by tomorrow.

Please give me suggestions on how to spend the $550 I have left. I could use some carbon wheels for my road bike, i guess? I don't know. I am also considering buying a chinese carbon cyclocross frame to build up but researching different models is making my head spin.

You can't go wrong with wheels for your road bike. I don't know enough about Chinese carbon cyclocross frames to give advice on them.

cbox

Ok after cycling for many years, I think I'm going finally try clipins. Can anyone recommend a good brand for the money? I don't want to break the bank as I'm not sure I'll like them very much. I'd need both the clips and shoes,

Jobiensis

I'm not sure I'd want to ride on a $500 set of carbon wheels, for that price I'd stick to alloys.

I have Speedplay pedals, they are nice in that you can use them without the cleats for a short spin and don't have a top side. SPD-SL are also popular and I believe you can find them for cheaper.

Typically you will get cleats and pedals together and then just choose a road shoe. Shoes can get incredibly expensive and each mfgr is slightly different sized. Most important is that they fit and then they should be stiff. Buy them from a bike shop that will set up the cleats for you.

brentech

Ok after cycling for many years, I think I'm going finally try clipins. Can anyone recommend a good brand for the money? I don't want to break the bank as I'm not sure I'll like them very much. I'd need both the clips and shoes,
I don't know what type of riding you're doing, but these shimano pedals aren't too costly and can be used effectively for road or trails.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WYAENC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Pedals come with the cleats that go into your shoes, so you'd just have to find a shoe from there.
I think once you go to clips you really won't want to go back. Key is to remember the small things like heel out to disengage. Also, if you know you're coming to a stop soon or expect some terrain you're not real confident with, just unclip at least one side and you should feel pretty confident.

davidnic

I think if you are buying pedals\ cleats for 1st time you should go to bike shop and advice on how use them set up the cleats.

I reckon if Shimano shoes and cleats you can't go wrong the last forever and there good quality. I use Sidi shoes but will like to change to Shimano one day, but I Shimano cleats\ pedals are there are great.

cbox

Thanks Guys! I'll check out my local bike shop on the weekend. I'm 100% on the road, and I found my performance stagnated last season and I want to try new pedals to see if that's what the cause was.

equap

Banned
can you guys recommend a good solution to mounting your cellphone (in this case my phone a Galaxy Nexus) to a road bike?

Jobiensis

First two races down, got my ass kicked, but it was great fun.

vidcons, why did you troll the Bob Ross thread? lol Hope your race went well.

http://www.betabrand.com/bike-to-work/bike-to-work-britches.html

Has anyone here seen a pair of these? They look decent enough but $100+ is a lot of money. A jacket I wear every day makes sense but pants?
I have a pair of their bike-to-work pants in khaki that I picked up from Betabrand a couple years ago. They fit pretty well on me and I like the cut. It seems like they've made a bunch of improvements over the years, so I'd assume the newer ones are even better. You can get discounts on their stuff if you click the 'model citizen' button and submit a picture, and they also have sales occasionally if you want a better deal on something.

This the place for bike advice? Newbie, want to get into biking as a hobby for fitness (to complement lifting/running) and entertainment. Not hardcore usage, probably only going to be riding for 30 mins - 1 hour a few days a week with longer rides on Saturdays. But I am fit and so I'll want to be going as hard as I can across terrain varying from pavement to dirt to possibly gravel. No mountain/downhill stuff, but would still like something durable.

I'd like something like a hybrid, I guess, since I'm not sure enough to commit to a road bike or a mountain bike exclusively. I'd like to keep it under $500.

Any recommendations of websites or brands or guides to start with? I'm in the Raleigh NC area so I should have access to a good assortment of bike shops.

I've finally got around to buying one of those power line networking things so I can leave my laptop in the garage now for all my trainer road goodness. Far less hassle than connecting / disconnecting it all the time.

Now if only I could work out how to get the temperature right in there.

muu

3 more weeks before I get to see a doctor... Less pain but trying things out on a bike, I can definitely tell I'm not doing it any service by riding on it.

Got recommendations on a chiropractor from a coworker so I'm going to see him first this week, who knows if there isn't some magical cure by aligning my spine.

brentech

Man, took my bike off the trainer and had I had a decent ride outdoors like 2 weeks ago. Now the weather is cold as all hell again and it seems like it won't go away. bike just hanging in the garage for now. Spring needs to hurry up.

joevigilante

Neo Member

F0NZ

Man, took my bike off the trainer and had I had a decent ride outdoors like 2 weeks ago. Now the weather is cold as all hell again and it seems like it won't go away. bike just hanging in the garage for now. Spring needs to hurry up.

I think rules #9 and #5 are applicable in this case (The Rules).

brentech

I think rules #9 and #5 are applicable in this case (The Rules).

Yeah, I don't give a shit about makeshift rules.

7423914058_d491a00d36_z.jpg

8005104268_f099fd8168_z.jpg

I'm still trying to get my ankle to harden the fuck back up after that disaster. 3 fractures and quite obviously a dislocation. I'm back to totally fine on daily activities, but it lacks good explosion.

Jobiensis

I believe he was referring to your whining about the weather, not your injuries.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...h-horrendous-milano-sanremo-conditions_278215
Last week's Milan-San Remo was raced through a blizzard so no complaints!

I agree, spring can't come soon enough

Well, to be fair a fair number of riders dropped out and they did eventually stop it.

But still...
DuB045Y.jpg

they get some hardass points

MJT6KDul.jpg

Jobiensis

I know this. But in the cold or wet my ankle still swells/aches and I'm just making the point that I'll ride when I'm damn well comfortable to ride.

Understood, but if you say it is too cold to ride, expect some good natured ribbing. :)

3 more weeks before I get to see a doctor... Less pain but trying things out on a bike, I can definitely tell I'm not doing it any service by riding on it.

Got recommendations on a chiropractor from a coworker so I'm going to see him first this week, who knows if there isn't some magical cure by aligning my spine.

Good Luck

7423914058_d491a00d36_z.jpg

8005104268_f099fd8168_z.jpg

I'm still trying to get my ankle to harden the fuck back up after that disaster. 3 fractures and quite obviously a dislocation. I'm back to totally fine on daily activities, but it lacks good explosion.

IMAG0296.jpg

Hey, we almost matching hardware! But I only had 2 fractures and no dislocation. You'll make it back on the bike! Keep your physical therapy going.

brentech

I already have ridden, just makes it a bit harder in the cold or wet weather. Seems I have a bit of the arthritis that comes with metal put in ya.

It's largely never a problem, but when I try to run or something I still feel weak there. I'm already done with PT and working again.

davidnic

Our Road season starts on Sunday with a 20km TT I look found to this every year cause I am keen to race... but this I might have miss it cause I am slowing recovering from a hamstring injury :(

Plus I hadn't been TT in 3 weeks cause of injury.

I've decided that 2.5hrs to 3.0 hrs is definitely my limit on the trainer. I nearly fell asleep, even with the movies. Plus after about 2 hours you really start to notice every little niggle with your seating position because you're not having enough time out of the saddle.

muu

man it's like Injury-Age in here!

Had the visit w/ the chiro. The good thing is that it didn't take 5 weeks to visit the guy, but I'm getting mixed feelings about this -- he did some force tests and told me my hands have weak grip because of neural compression, and that my pelvis might be slightly out of alignment because of falling off my bike. The grip thing I'd think would come off more from the bike riding (I think I've read something about weak grips due to long-term riding and gripping on handlebars), and the pelvis thing... wouldn't that affect the right leg, too?

Got two soft pushes on pelvis and neck, which didn't seem to do much at this point. Still don't feel comfortable to ride on this (groin gets sore just sitting down for longer periods), and it sucks that I can't get an ortho opinion on it till middle of next month. Posts I've found of guys suffering w/ ill-treated minor groin pulls for years are scaring the shit out of me. At this point I'm giving up on the spring Rando rides, hopefully I can get back on the bike by July to ride STP w/ some friends.

Jobiensis

Does seem like a lot of people are hurt, hope all of you heal up.

I've been dropping my handlebars slowly over the last couple of months. Want to get my flexibility good enough to have a nice aero drop. So far neck exercises have been working well, but I need to work on my lower back strength. I guess I should be doing more core work.

I've decided that 2.5hrs to 3.0 hrs is definitely my limit on the trainer. I nearly fell asleep, even with the movies. Plus after about 2 hours you really start to notice every little niggle with your seating position because you're not having enough time out of the saddle.

I think anyone that can ride on a trainer for longer than an hour should be subjected to a mental health check.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Can someone who works in the biz explain why there is a dealer monopoly (like cars - I get the retail component kind of) that excludes online purchasing of major decent brands? The reason you can't buy a CAR online is dealer collusion and monopolistic garbage.

davidnic

Does seem like a lot of people are hurt, hope all of you heal up.

I guess I should be doing more core work.

I think anyone that can ride on a trainer for longer than an hour should be subjected to a mental health check.

My hamstring is coming along nice.

I do core work 4 times a week for 10 minutes, if do it core work regularly it really helps. I have been going on road even the weather has been crapping as I don't really want ergo for a couple of weeks.

Put on some new cotton tape, and gave her a cleaning while I was at it:

GrS3Rhml.jpg

Been my main transportation to work for quite awhile now. Don't use my car much any more and I save tons on gas and I luckily live in the downtown area of my city so I can get anything I need without riding too far anyway, so usually there isn't a temptation to just drive. :p

Put on some new cotton tape, and gave her a cleaning while I was at it:

GrS3Rhml.jpg
Shiny things!

Unrelated, can anyone point me in the direction of any stretching / yoga routines aimed at cyclists? I've never really trained just cycling before now and I'm starting to feel seriously tight / unbalanced.

Would like to sort it out before it becomes an issue (though I'm planning on swapping to a general fitness / training regime in about 8 weeks).

quick question: how difficult would it be to change handlebars? I don't mean just a replacement, I mean moving from a flat handlebar to a drop bar. I feel like I'm too high up when I'm on my bike and the drop bars would lower me a bit. I've been looking at various bikes when I see them and it would appear I would need new brakes at the least, possibly an entirely new shifter setup at the most. I'm a commuter and do between 10 and 30 miles a day depending on conditions and bus availability. Thanks.

Top Bottom