• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biggest tech flops of the decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Osaka said:
Except they're not talking about games, they're just mocking the consoles that they don't own/like/whatever. Which wouldn't really stand on the gaming section, either, really.
Some are, but others are talking about whether they are flops according to various metrics. Meh, doesn't really bother me either way, but shuris post was a bit over dramatic.

CTLance

JoshuaJSlone said:
Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it other than read encoded product barcodes into Notepad for laughs. .C3nZC3nZC3nYChz2Cxb7CxnX.fHmc.DxvXCxD7ENn7C3r1.
There's actually a moderate amount of useful stuff that can be done with those, after you "neuter" them.

Example howto.

They're pretty neat if your webcam isn't good enough for cataloguing software like Libra or Delicious Library.

Burai

shitonmychest57
maharg said:
God yes. For all the bitching this forum did about HD-DVD, there's so much that it *did* get right as a *content* format. While nearly every HD-DVD I owned had a streamlined overlay menu and instant movie startup, Blu-Ray has been nearly the opposite. I dunno if it was just that the studios on HD-DVD cared about that, or there was some kind of imperative to do it as a competitive feature or what, but I liked that a lot and I really miss it.

HD-DVD was the best format by miles from a consumer point of view, but, Blu-ray offered all of the DRM shit that Disney, Sony and Fox insisted on. They were never going to jump ship to the red camp in a million years. And with Toshiba loss-leading like mad with their players, there was absolutely no room for any other manufacturer, so they all stayed Blu too.

I was happy when Warner ended the war because it meant I could finally buy some fucking HD movies already.

I think he's talking about Negroponte selling out and putting Windows and Intel on the device even though they weren't the best options. There was some serious moneyhatting going on (the Nigerian case being one of the worst examples). The olpc laptop is still very good for kids in the third world, hackers are still refining and adding stuff to sugar, but once I got an iPhone I never turned mine on again and eventually sold it. :(

Oh, I agree, but by that point it was already too late. The Classmate was already shoring up every potential market the OLPC could have hoped for.

The deal with the devil was the last throw of the dice. They were damned if they did or didn't.

GSG Flash said:
Wasn't the difference between the regular old mini disc players and the Net MD that you could record songs onto the Net MD using a USB cable? I remember it being advertised fairly heavily next to portable MP3 players, so I assumed that it was meant to compete with them.

That was a difference, but I'd still say it's old tech with a new feature, not new tech.

FWIW, I had MD both before and after NetMD, and until mp3 players came down in price/went up in capacity, they were awesome.

aoi tsuki

AiBO was not a flop. It was a product sold to tech enthusiasts and those with more money than sense. It was never a mass market product and never would be at its price point. The "floppiest" part about it was that when all was said and done, you were paying something like $3000 for a robot dog that really didn't do much. i don't think it was until the later models that they would actually walk themselves to the charging station. Software upgrades were in the hundreds.

Regarding NetMD, another big difference between the older MDLP-only Minidisc recorder/players and the new NetMD models is that the later often lacked the optical line in for recording digitally from sources. Later the NetMD models would get rid of line in altogether.

As much as i hate proprietary formats, MD and ATRAC3 was better than the CDRs and limited storage of the MP3 players we had at the time. People forget or just don't know that the first MP3 players were typically 128MB or less, which made them novelty devices that could hold at most three CDs of "CD quality" music. It wasn't until you transcoded them that you could fit more.

i won't even go into the cool, "collectible" MDs which were durable as hell or the fact that players had awesome sound quality. They also got awesome battery life, particularly for a device with motor. ATRAC3 was a much better format than MP3, and was more comparable to MP4 in terms of compression ratios. Sony drug their feet releasing transfer software that didn't suck ass, and then with releasing software. They're far better in comparison now, but back then they were their own worst enemy. In the face of the oncoming flash media player onslaught, MD was a doomed format, sure, but it could've been relevant for longer in the US had Sony not been so inept. Hell, it lasted way into the iPod's life in the UK and of course Japan.

Xbox and Gamecube... failures? Xbox was Microsoft's foot in the door. A box that was friendly enough to hacking and piracy which helped establish the brand. It succeeded as part of Microsoft's "toss money into a market until we're relevant" strategy, and on the first try. And the Gamecube, was not popular, but profitable. The Dreamcast was the biggest failure of the decade (distant second to Nuon), and i say that was a big Dreamcast/Sega hardware fan.

Don't even get me started on Zip drives. The only flops in that line were the Zip 250 and 750 which didn't work in the Zip 100 drives and competed with CDR discs that were cheap enough to add more sessions to until it was full. Even for those of us who had a CDR drive (read: Not a CDRW drive), the Zip 100 was the easiest way to transport those "too big for a floppy" files.

GhaleonEB

Timedog said:
Huh? I had a CD burner in 2001 that I bought for I think 125-150.
They were nowhere to be found on campus, and that's still way too expensive for me, a poor college student with kids (at the time). Point stands - the Zip drive filled a needed gap in tech. Didn't last long, but was a godsend at the time.

aoi tsuki

Skiptastic said:
I'm glad they got off to such a great start including technology from last decade in this one (Dreamcast).
9-9-99... God you're right. Don't know how i could've messed that one up.

gbovo

Mr. Snrub said:
Holy shit :lol

From the sidetalkin site: http://www.sidetalkin.com/page-1.html

AP_Talking.jpg
lololololololololol

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
eggandI said:
microsoft-surface-3.jpg

Microsoft Surface, anyone? I've never seen one of these. Anywhere.
I saw one of those (or something incredibly similar) in a hotel when I went to PAX. The whole weekend I never saw a single person that wasn't having significant issues getting it to work correctly.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
DMczaf said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c2/WindowsMEbOXcovershot.png

Oh God yes. Win ME was fucking trash. I remember installing it years ago, and less than 10 minutes after the installation was done, it gave me a BSoD. What a piece of shit that OS was. Going from Win 98 SE to Win ME almost felt like downgrading.

Zhund0r said:

While the launch of Vista undeniably was a flop in terms of reception and popularity, I'd say the OS was decent enough as soon as MS rolled out the service packs and the driver support got better. Win 7 is superior, though.

GhaleonEB said:
They were nowhere to be found on campus, and that's still way too expensive for me, a poor college student with kids (at the time). Point stands - the Zip drive filled a needed gap in tech. Didn't last long, but was a godsend at the time.

Yup. When I was in college until 99, Zip drives were a necessity. CD Burners were not common enough and the write speeds were slow as hell. CDRW was even worse and unreliable. Zip was for larger file sizes that you needed to access and rewrite on a lot, which was handy in photoshop and 3dsmax classes. Jazz drives were in use too, but only a few classes.

Zip was great for the time before USB Flash drives started coming into rampant use.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Burai said:
HD-DVD was the best format by miles from a consumer point of view, but, Blu-ray offered all of the DRM shit that Disney, Sony and Fox insisted on. They were never going to jump ship to the red camp in a million years. And with Toshiba loss-leading like mad with their players, there was absolutely no room for any other manufacturer, so they all stayed Blu toot.

10 years to break

lol.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
worldrunover said:
zip_250mb_usb_drive_media.jpg

LOL I had to use these things in college. Only 100MB and there were different ones formatted for PC and Mac. Thank God for the USB thumb drive!
Holy Shit YES this x

talk about getting left behind

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
maharg said:
As for Minidisc, it's still the device and format of choice for live recording of stuff like interviews. That's a niche that mp3 players haven't even attempted to touch. To call it a failure is ridiculous.

Ignatz Mouse said:
That was a difference, but I'd still say it's old tech with a new feature, not new tech.

FWIW, I had MD both before and after NetMD, and until mp3 players came down in price/went up in capacity, they were awesome.

Well I was specifically talking about the NetMD players (as you can see in my original post), since Minidiscs came out in the early 90's it'd be kinda hard to classify that as the flop of the decade :lol

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
~Devil Trigger~ said:
Holy Shit YES this x

talk about getting left behind
hasn't this been covered like a dozen times by now? It's 90s technology, and it was very useful with no alternatives for a decent period of time.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The Ngage QD was actually a pretty cool as a phone.
My friend had one when it came out. The port of TonyHawk was actually pretty if I remember.

maharg

idspispopd
GSG Flash said:
Well I was specifically talking about the NetMD players (as you can see in my original post), since Minidiscs came out in the early 90's it'd be kinda hard to classify that as the flop of the decade :lol

Ah I see. I just have a hard time considering NetMD a discrete technology. All it really was was a usb port on an existing device.

ToxicAdam

What about Spore?

Although it's unfair to think of a single video game as "tech", Spore promised to be unlike any video game before it. Then when you factor in the time and money spent in developing it, you would have to call it one of the biggest flops of the decade (for video games).

GSG Flash

maharg said:
Ah I see. I just have a hard time considering NetMD a discrete technology. All it really was was a usb port on an existing device.

I guess so, but would you agree that NetMDs themselves weren't so successful even if the underlying technology was and still is widely used?

ToxicAdam said:
What about Spore?

Although it's unfair to think of a single video game as "tech", Spore promised to be unlike any video game before it. Then when you factor in the time and money spent in developing it, you would have to call it one of the biggest flops of the decade (for video games).

Man if we're including flop video games, the list wouldn't be finished until well into next year :lol

ToxicAdam

GSG Flash said:
Man if we're including flop video games, the list wouldn't be finished until well into next year :lol

True, but I can't think of a game that was the same scope and promise of Spore. It was supposed to be the ultimate god game with the customization of the Sims.

GSG Flash

ToxicAdam said:
True, but I can't think of a game that was the same scope and promise of Spore. It was supposed to be the ultimate god game with the customization of the Sims.

Spore would be pretty high up on the list, as would Fable.

demon

ToxicAdam said:
Reminds me of Project Ego, actually. Unprecedented levels of open-endness, interactivity and organic game world, and we end up getting Fable.

demon

Well Fable can suck my cock either way, I spent years obsessively following Project Ego closer than any other game ever.

CiSTM

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
Ironically, we call both games "flops" but both have sold over a million units. (At least, I'm pretty sure Fable did)
Spore is over 3 million and i'm pretty sure same goes for fable 2.

maharg

idspispopd
GSG Flash said:
I guess so, but would you agree that NetMDs themselves weren't so successful even if the underlying technology was and still is widely used?

Sure, it wasn't very successful, but it's not like Sony was banking anything serious on it either. It was an attempt to breathe some last life into a dying format (as far as consumers were concerned), and it did that to some extent but obviously didn't last. Meanwhile, Sony was making mp3 players and pushing memory sticks like there was no tomorrow.

I don't think flop is really synonymous with unsuccessful.

KevinCow

Banned
Was the Segway really a flop? I mean obviously it didn't CHANGE YOUR CONCEPT OF THE ENTIRE FUCKING UNIVERSE like they said it would, but the things still managed to stick around, even if only as novelty things. There's actually a Segway store in my town (which I've been meaning to check out for a while but haven't gotten around to it for some reason), and I see mall cops on them all the time.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
KevinCow said:
Was the Segway really a flop? I mean obviously it didn't CHANGE YOUR CONCEPT OF THE ENTIRE FUCKING UNIVERSE like they said it would, but the things still managed to stick around, even if only as novelty things. There's actually a Segway store in my town (which I've been meaning to check out for a while but haven't gotten around to it for some reason), and I see mall cops on them all the time.

Didnt Jobs call Segway like "the most important invention in all of human history?" Well Segway fell short of that so i consider it a flop.

edit: im serious! i got hyped up like a fool thinking the invention was some kind of super cheap abundant energy thingie or some kind of new medicine or something.

Number 2 said:
Didnt Jobs call Segway like "the most important invention in all of human history?" Well Segway fell short of that so i consider it a flop.

edit: im serious! i got hyped up like a fool thinking the invention was some kind of super cheap abundant energy thingie or some kind of new medicine or something.

Wasn't it Wozniak? And didn't he say that it would be the best invention since the Internet?

stilgar

Sony-PSX.jpg

PSX : It's like a dream! Oh, we slightly butchered every features a couple of weeks before launch, but it's still wonderful!

And also, it's 925$

Spwn

The original Game Boy Advance. Ok, it sold well, but as new technology it failed because of the dark screen that made it almost unplayable. Fortunately that was fixed for the later versions.

XCell9200 said:
I use apple tv :D

Me too. I think it all comes down to what you want out of it. I want to put my library of music on the the Mac upstairs and access all of it on my home theater downstairs.

This does exactly what I want it to do, elegantly, and is unobtrusive next to the TV.

NekoFever

Buckethead said:
:lol I watched that the other day and thought what a great GIF that moment would make.

Also, no way are Zip Drives and MiniDisc flops. Zip drives were awesome up until large capacity flash drives came out - it certainly had advantages over CD-RWs - and I remember loads of people having MD players, not to mention how prevalent they were (are?) in radio. When you can hear them changing discs around on the radio, those are MDs that they're changing.

HD DVD was a flop, but I still like some of its benefits. On top of the aforementioned ones it was also completely region free, which was awesome when you don't live in the US. Perversely, the advantages that we've cited are big reasons why it didn't get support from certain studios, because the likes of Disney and Fox are the absolute worst when it comes to trailers at the beginning and region coding. From a consumer perspective it was also nice that it had less DRM, which both avoided the early compatibility problems with stuff like BD+ and makes it easier to rip.

Burai said:
And with Toshiba loss-leading like mad with their players, there was absolutely no room for any other manufacturer, so they all stayed Blu too.
To be fair, I remember reading that manufacturers weren't happy with the Blu-ray market, because the PS3 had it tied up. It's only now that you can get cheaper players that approach what people are used to with DVD players in terms of size, speed, functionality, etc that standalones are gaining market share.

Almost every major metropolitan police department in the US uses the Segway instead of on-foot officers and sometimes in place of bicycles.

... and a lot of national news organizations use the Microsoft Surface for their broadcasts. NBC and MSNBC of course, that is a given.

Slacker

eggandI said:
microsoft-surface-3.jpg

Microsoft Surface, anyone? I've never seen one of these. Anywhere.
Actually, I have seen one of these...

.. at the Microsoft Technology Center. That girl wasn't there, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom