• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Simmons going to HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Man every morning after I get in at work I click that Grantland bookmark. There's a big hole in my killing-time-at-work list of sites now.

Bill hired former NFL network exc to run the Bill Simmons Media Group.

see,s like he is going to be creeating a new website

http://deadline.com/2015/11/eric-we...l-simmons-media-group-nfl-network-1201635697/

NFL Network executive producer Eric Weinberger is joining former ESPN and Grantland honcho Bill Simmons as President of the newly formed Bill Simmons Media Group. Weinberger will be one of the EPs of Simmons’ upcoming HBO talk show. He also will oversee the building of a new content website and a podcast network and help to develop scripted and non-scripted projects, shortform digital content and other creative projects, as part of Simmons’ first-look deal with HBO

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The thing I liked best was Lowe's ability to totally disarm Simmons and some of his more windbaggish analysis. "Bill, please. Just stop." Zach was real good at that.

I missed that part so much. Simmons was like the old uncle ranting about "back in the day" and Lowe was the younger nephew who could get Simmons to think about what he was saying.

bigkrev

Robert Mays announced he is going to MMQB for the rest of the season, which means the hope of a Grantland NFL podcast rebirth is dead for now :(

Brakke

Banned
Been p into the Bill Simmons Podcast Network lately esp with Andy Greenwald pod back in action. That's right, the "Bill Simmons Podcast Network". They keep having sponsors use offer code "BSPN" ayy.

Jeesh Haralobob was firing shots at Zach Lowe's podcast earlier on twitter, well more in the direction of Shane Battier. Having listened to that podcast I'm inclined to agree, the guy really is a walking cliché.

jtb

Banned
Haralobob is one of my least favorite of Bill's guests. He always comes across as so humorless and smug.

ryseing

Been p into the Bill Simmons Podcast Network lately esp with Andy Greenwald pod back in action. That's right, the "Bill Simmons Podcast Network". They keep having sponsors use offer code "BSPN" ayy.

Channel 33 has been dope. Juliet Show with Wesley and Sources Say have been the standouts.

Fjordson

Haralobob is one of my least favorite of Bill's guests. He always comes across as so humorless and smug.
He is kinda smug, but I love it. He's really smart when it comes to the NBA and just rips into people (especially bad coaches).

Jeesh Haralobob was firing shots at Zach Lowe's podcast earlier on twitter, well more in the direction of Shane Battier. Having listened to that podcast I'm inclined to agree, the guy really is a walking cliché.
Yeah, it was about Battier who does indeed suck,

Ralemont

not me
Listening to the latest Klosterman pod and it's so great. Chuck and Zach Lowe were always the best guests because when Simmons tried to sneak in points that most people would just agree with to move on, they go "Uhhh, I don't agree with that."

Funniest part is when Simmons is talking about Brady being accused of lying and he says there's no proof of any of it, including the balls ever being deflated. Klosterman responds, "Now wait a minute, Bill. Are you saying that you can never accuse someone of lying without proof?"

Ice cold Chuck.

Funniest part is when Simmons is talking about Brady being accused of lying and he says there's no proof of any of it, including the balls ever being deflated. Klosterman responds, "Now wait a minute, Bill. Are you saying that you can never accuse someone of lying without proof?"

Ice cold Chuck.

I like how that interview starts with Klosterman pointing out how shady Brady was about the GQ interview, implying that Brady is somewhat guilty of at least something, then Simmons pivots the discussion into defending Brady yet again.

I realize Simmons is biased with Boston sports, and that he doesn't hide his biases, but holy cow Bill, give it a rest already. Even your own father thought Brady was guilty.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Listening to the latest Klosterman pod and it's so great. Chuck and Zach Lowe were always the best guests because when Simmons tried to sneak in points that most people would just agree with to move on, they go "Uhhh, I don't agree with that."

Ice cold Chuck.

I know what you are saying there, but I think that there is evidence that Goodell lied about Ray Rice and the videotapes.

I like how that interview starts with Klosterman pointing out how shady Brady was about the GQ interview, implying that Brady is somewhat guilty of at least something, then Simmons pivots the discussion into defending Brady yet again.

I realize Simmons is biased with Boston sports, and that he doesn't hide his biases, but holy cow Bill, give it a rest already. Even your own father thought Brady was guilty.

no way

i find it hilarious every time

Bill Barnwell said:
Excited for @fierman, @runofplay, @hollyanderson, and @mollylambert to lay waste to the earth in service of MTV

Oh shit Fierman's starting up a breakaway Grantland republic over at MTV! This is most interested I've been in MTV since Celebrity Deathmatch was cancelled.

gazele

Banned
Catching up on some older podcasts and listening to the Judd Apatow interview is so painful

Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey are comedic geniuses? What? The last 15 years for both have been pretty horrible

I can understand as an interviewer being nice to your guest though

They both just seem kind of out of the loop on twitter and the way the world works today

spyder_ur

Burfict Strangers A++

That was a great line. The made up TV shows is a great bit.

Catching up on some older podcasts and listening to the Judd Apatow interview is so painful

Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey are comedic geniuses? What? The last 15 years for both have been pretty horrible

They both just seem kind of out of the loop on twitter and the way the world works today

I generally skip any podcasts with Bill and celebrities. A bunch of ass-kissing and uninteresting conversation. I just generally don't enjoy them.

ryseing

Michael B Jordan's was great.

Yeah, it seems like MBJ and Simmons are actually friends. Their conversation was something you wouldn't expect out of a regular interview, even a podcast one.

Oh shit Fierman's starting up a breakaway Grantland republic over at MTV! This is most interested I've been in MTV since Celebrity Deathmatch was cancelled.

Holly was FANTASTIC guesting on some of SB Nation's stuff recently.

I really want an RSS feed collecting the ex-Grantland contributors.

legend166

I don't think calling Jim Carrey a comedic genius is some crazy opinion. Just because he hasn't done anything good comedy wise for 15 years doesn't really mean anything. Most comics shine bright for a short time then fade away. Eddie Murphy is a comedic genius.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Jack O is the best guest.

Johnny is definitely my favorite of Simmons' regular guests. I greatly enjoy all of his appearances, be they about politics or baseball. Although I won't lie, his sky is falling attitude about the Republican party is ... wonderful.

Johnny is definitely my favorite of Simmons' regular guests. I greatly enjoy all of his appearances, be they about politics or baseball. Although I won't lie, his sky is falling attitude about the Republican party is ... wonderful.

I enjoy these Trump calls because at the start, JackO was simply amused by this clown, then things started getting more serious and he was really confused. The last podcast they did he was legitimately worried about the prospect of Trump being the candidate, and this episode it's full blown anger and resentment. I fully expect to see depression and acceptance after the Iowa and New Hampshire primaries.

That's a damn nice arc Johnny just got from the writers there.

gazele

Banned
I don't think calling Jim Carrey a comedic genius is some crazy opinion. Just because he hasn't done anything good comedy wise for 15 years doesn't really mean anything. Most comics shine bright for a short time then fade away. Eddie Murphy is a comedic genius.

Ok, maybe comedic genius isn't the right word for it, I agree they both are that, despite what sandler has done lately

Into

JackO sounds so out of touch.

He is the same person who completely dismissed Trump, and even laughed at him. Then a podcast about being "slightly worried", then "worried" and now a complete meltdown. He so clearly drank the kool aid from the media, about Trump being nothing but a entertaining clown. But hey Yankee fans are usually out of touch and lost

Looking at the landscape and the numbers so far, its absolutely not impossible that Trump could win it all.

If that happens, i want a Bill and JackO podcast, where JackO is on a boat sailing to Japan and cutting a 2 hour promo on "WTF HAPPENED BILL!??"

Vyer

JackO sounds so out of touch.

He is the same person who completely dismissed Trump, and even laughed at him. Then a podcast about being "slightly worried", then "worried" and now a complete meltdown. He so clearly drank the kool aid from the media, about Trump being nothing but a entertaining clown. But hey Yankee fans are usually out of touch and lost

Looking at the landscape and the numbers so far, its absolutely not impossible that Trump could win it all.

If that happens, i want a Bill and JackO podcast, where JackO is on a boat sailing to Japan and cutting a 2 hour promo on "WTF HAPPENED BILL!??"

JackO is getting hit hard with the cold reality of what his party has become.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Eek. JackO really was off the handle on this podcast. Sounded like a total nutjob. Not in has comments about Trump btw, which mostly made total sense, but in his Glenn-Beck-like ranting about how the country is falling apart because...there's a chance we might help people go to college? He and Simbo have always been pretty good at just kind of cheekily discussing politics but this was legit awkward at moments.

Eh, he states he's a moderate Republican, then pulls the same "OMG, our soldiers were on their knees in Iran" BS.
If Reagan were president he would have rode across the sea on his iron steed and shot those Iranians down with his six guns.

I actually sympathize with Jacko a bit. But its not a reflection on the Republican party to me, more about how dumb so many Americans are. Which is way worse.

Eek. JackO really was off the handle on this podcast. Sounded like a total nutjob. Not in has comments about Trump btw, which mostly made total sense, but in his Glenn-Beck-like ranting about how the country is falling apart because...there's a chance we might help people go to college? He and Simbo have always been pretty good at just kind of cheekily discussing politics but this was legit awkward at moments.

Yeah, I kinda found it funny how Bill, who can usually respond with a joke or a line about something basically let there be a pregnant pause, then basically went, "but boy, isn't it weird that Trump is winning, Jacko?"

Fjordson

Well I mean JackO describes himself as a hardcore republican. I wasn't really surprised by any of his comments. And he's disgusted by he Trump circus, so he can't be too crazy.

I love when he's on. As a liberal I disagree with some stuff he says, but he's always been a good guest imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom