• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

Tomasooie

I would, but since i'd probably be playing invasion with most of the people here, it seems like they ended up going PS3 version. That and I like my PS3 headset more than my 360 headset.

I meant check Newegg for the PS3 version; it's $45 with free shipping.

Tomasooie

Honestly, I'd have rather ordered it from Amazon (I have Prime) at a slightly higher price if only to get the game here faster.

I had no problems with the speed of their free shipping. Ordered it on Friday, it came in on Tuesday. That's 3-day shipping! But others might not be so lucky.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Boy, I don't recommend anyone plays this before playing the third entry in a certain third person shooter that came out this week.

It's really jarring how much the combat of the latter is stagnated.

Played some more multiplayer.

-I noticed that one of the skills boosts the amount of held ammo. That's going to be way necessary for Invasion mode.
-Lag/Characters teleporting is pretty cruddy at times. Also there have been times where I've been shot through objects.
-The lack of variable respawns is really bad. Team death-match is basically rushing the opponent's spawn and camping all possible ways out.
-Team death-match is all I can speak on is because it's the only mode I can actually find players in.
-The store-bought weapons are pretty beastly...which is to be expected. If you grab the assault rifle you'll down most everyone in three shots. Also the store-shotgun is insane. Like I don't want to say Gears of War level but it will one-shot in most situations.

So eh...not really feeling it.

Strongest aspect of this game is definitely its single-player, I'm on my 2nd playthrough now and it's just as enjoyable. Trying different guns and teams keeps things pretty fresh.

Will give Invasion another go if I can get with three other players all w/ the ammo boost (360 version).

Tomasooie

Played some more multiplayer.

-I noticed that one of the skills boosts the amount of held ammo. That's going to be way necessary for Invasion mode.
-Lag/Characters teleporting is pretty cruddy at times. Also there have been times where I've been shot through objects.
-The lack of variable respawns is really bad. Team death-match is basically rushing the opponent's spawn and camping all possible ways out.
-Team death-match is all I can speak on is because it's the only mode I can actually find players in.
-The store-bought weapons are pretty beastly...which is to be expected. If you grab the assault rifle you'll down most everyone in three shots. Also the store-shotgun is insane. Like I don't want to say Gears of War level but it will one-shot in most situations.

So eh...not really feeling it.

Strongest aspect of this game is definitely its single-player, I'm on my 2nd playthrough now and it's just as enjoyable. Trying different guns and teams keeps things pretty fresh.

Will give Invasion another go if I can get with three other players all w/ the ammo boost (360 version).

Oh wow, I just found the nanomachines menu. This should make the multiplayer a bit more interesting...
I have the ammo boost. Let me know if you ever want to give it a go.

Ken

Don't have the game (yet) but what do you mean by store-bought? As in, microtransactions?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Boy, I don't recommend anyone plays this before playing the third entry in a certain third person shooter that came out this week.

It's really jarring how much the combat of the latter is stagnated.

If you're talking about ME3 then I still find it fun as hell, even if BD controls tighter. They are wildly different games and I have no idea why they keep getting compared in this thread and the demo thread.

Whoops I should have explained that better.

During multiplayer matches you accumulate points from kills + other stuff. You can spend that in-between spawns on additional equipment like more grenades/claymores/medkits/etc. You can also buy a handful of guns.

Of course the catch is that if you get killed your gun could fall in enemy hands(and unused equipment usually ends up lost).

Finished it last night. Beat the final boss on the first try so wooo

Anyway,

LOVED LOVED LOVED IT

Truly is tragic how little reception this is getting =(

finished my 3rd playthrough, made a point to get all the nano's this time. and i missed one. fuck

dan(danny boy you're a freakin star man)'s maximum assault rifle is easily one of my favorite video con weapons ever. it's funny to hear the chattering of the fire speed up and slow down to the tune of the framerate.

i wish there was more stuff to do with that rifle.

Chapter 6 spoilers:
So is it possible for Cain to reappear at all at the end? My Trust with him was pretty damn low, so I wasn't surprised that he never showed up again. In my game, Big Bo betrayed me and got into one of the mechs himself, while Rachael took a hit for Faye from the final boss and died. But I just saw a playthrough on Youtube where Big Bo stayed with the team, and he was the one who took the hit for Faye instead. I wonder if it's possible to get an outcome where Big Bo lives...

Whoa!

Yeah the last part is the ending I got

Such a great game, I can't believe how happy I was with the conclusion and other general feelings after beating it.
It's not the greatest game ever and has problems, but it's a real little gem.

I want to play this so bad but it's still low availability on GameFly.

which means more people are renting it instead of buying?

=(

Anyhoo,

Jumped into invasion right before work to see if anyone was actually playing and surprisingly there was

Woo! Gonna have to give a good whirl now and it's something I can actually play during the day with my son in the room

which means more people are renting it instead of buying?

=(

Anyhoo,

Jumped into invasion right before work to see if anyone was actually playing and surprisingly there was

Woo! Gonna have to give a good whirl now and it's something I can actually play during the day with my son in the room

If it were on PC I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But I'm currently borrowing a 360 so it's my only option. :-(

Preface: Damn, this game is awesome. Sure, the core gameplay is Gears of War, but it has the upgrade system I've always wanted in these games and the UI design is so good I can only assume they poached from Square-Enix. The story varies being weird, interesting, and summer-action-movie, but the VO delivery makes up for it.

you should fire toward the the missiles before it hits you then you can use the rocket launcher.
i like that battle , it was brilliant IMO.

That...doesn't really help. Generally speaking the problem isn't the missiles; it's those stupid flying robots that come in and form a defensive shield while you're trying to establish a stinger lock. Even on easy, they seem to respawn and re-form before you can get a missile lock. My teammates are useless at clearing the way, sadly.

That...doesn't really help. Generally speaking the problem isn't the missiles; it's those stupid flying robots that come in and form a defensive shield while you're trying to establish a stinger lock.

At first it was super annoying. But then i realized how smart that actually is, i mean heck, thats some thinking right there :D

I razed the immediate flying robots with the assault rifle and then fired off a single shot with the stinger. After that it's rinse-repeat though. It's more annoying stumbling around getting more ammo for it constantly being knocked down.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Absolutely brilliant game, LOVED IT!! God I hope this sells well enough to warrant a sequel!

In my ending,
Bo betrayed me, but not really, and ended up taking a crushing blow from a mech to save Faye, and then he died himself, while everyone else lived.

Also, after the credits,
I loved Dan showing up not wearing his Rust suit and laying waste to stuff with that mammoth gatlin gun, and then chasing off the actual humans, lol!

mattfabb

Banned
Preface: Damn, this game is awesome. Sure, the core gameplay is Gears of War, but it has the upgrade system I've always wanted in these games and the UI design is so good I can only assume they poached from Square-Enix. The story varies being weird, interesting, and summer-action-movie, but the VO delivery makes up for it.

That...doesn't really help. Generally speaking the problem isn't the missiles; it's those stupid flying robots that come in and form a defensive shield while you're trying to establish a stinger lock. Even on easy, they seem to respawn and re-form before you can get a missile lock. My teammates are useless at clearing the way, sadly.

OR, you could just forget about the stinger and use the mounted gun and take down everything that flies with that....

OR, you could just forget about the stinger and use the mounted gun and take down everything that flies with that....

There's a mounted gun? And it works on the boss? Huh...gotta look out for that. I had to spend most of the battle inside because half of the time when I stepped out some explosion would just instantly nail me. Eventually learned they were missiles, but I guess I never see them coming.

eshwaaz

Just started Chapter 3 - incredibly entertaining game so far. The combat is satisfying (surprisingly so for me, as I typically hate robotic enemies), encounters are fun and well-designed, and locations are diverse and varied. This is the most enjoyment I've gotten out of a third person shooter in a long time. Expertly paced as well.

My only real complaint is the voice actor for Dan - every line feels forced, overly-hammy and self-aware. He doesn't come across as a natural, believable character at all, even within the established context of the game. By contrast, Big Bo, whom I feared would be a cringe-worthy stereotype is largely countered by the understated performance of his voice actor. Despite having to endure finishing every other line with "a'ight", he still manages to come across with some integrity.

I fear this game will bomb, which would be criminal as it's superior to many TPSs that have received higher ratings and (likely) stronger sales.

Watching the credits for BD.
Bo sacrificed himself for Faye. I even had a high trust with Cain, so I was surprised at his failure to revet back during that certain scene. Sad too, I adored Cain.

If this came out for the PC, I would have bought it in a heart beat, but alas, I decided to rent it. I'm part of the problem.

Binary Domain got better as it went along. I didn't really do much for me at first, but I fell in love with it during the ride.

SimonM7

Does anyone else have problems with the sound mixing in this game? Specifically, the music is really, really low, to the point where it kinda deflates some of the more dramatic bits of the score.

I'm about to put this into a review, but wanted to check if it's widespread or if it's just my setup that's somehow off.

This is the 360 version by the way.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So guys, is Binary Domain the most overlooked awesome game in early 2012 or what? :D

I'll agree with that. It's a really awesome game that certainly deserves a lot more attention.

I'm sure a number of other people have already picked up on this but wouldn't the sequel to this game be the most epic thing?

Major spoilers
The Government mentions that there are 108 people born from mecha and human parents. Think about it. 108...stars of destiny. Yep. Imagine the next game being some Water Margin/Suikoden deal where Faye travels the remnants of the world recruiting these men and women to not only fight for their survival but for a future where everyone can co-exist peacefully.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, sounds like I was right to be interested in buying this game.
Reviews and early buzz seemed to make out like the game was fairly average, I had my interest piqued when Gamespot, I think, mentioned how fun it was to shoot robots, that sold me lol.
Awesome, this is so bought, gonna grab this along with ME3, SSX and the like. Can't wait to see how it plays.

I'm sure a number of other people have already picked up on this but wouldn't the sequel to this game be the most epic thing?

Major spoilers
The Government mentions that there are 108 people born from mecha and human parents. Think about it. 108...stars of destiny. Yep. Imagine the next game being some Water Margin/Suikoden deal where Faye travels the remnants of the world recruiting these men and women to not only fight for their survival but for a future where everyone can co-exist peacefully.

Interesting...I never knew of this reference.

Randomizer

So I just finished this and have to say what an amazing game it was. It basically came out of nowhere for me too. I think I saw a trailer last year and dismissed it as some generic third person shooter trying to appeal to the west, well how wrong was I. But thanks to this thread I may have already played my GOTY or at least a solid contender. The shooting mechanics are probably the best I have experienced in a 3rd person shooter. It's hard to articulate but the feel and weight of the shooting was just perfect. Blowing away and crippling the scrap heads was just so damn satisfying. The story was a nice surprise too reminded me of a late 80's early 90's anime and had a unique twist on the whole Blade Runner setting.

It's games like this that make me love being a gamer and so thankful to be part of a gaming community that doesn't allow gems like this to be overlooked. Games that are under exposed and under hyped by the press or by not having a huge marketing budget. Seriously without places like this I would have missed out on this, Nier & Deadly Premonition.

I'm getting ME3 tomorrow and I am really worried that it will not stack up to this gameplay wise. Story/character wise is also a concern especially after ME2 which was mostly a let down in that regard.

Ran straight into some more rough spots last night. I really love and hate this game. Combat is smooth. AI is just stupid as mud in the ozone room. The "shoot the monkeys off the guy" sequence was infuriating. Between those two scenes I lost a half hour that I'll never get back. But then you get the wacky
french robot
and everything gets awesome again.

Randomizer, I'm actually having some of that problem right now, alting between ME3 and this. ME3's core combat ends up playing a lot clunkier (to some extent by the nature of its more RPG-like gameplay) and Shepard isn't working quite as hard to be entertaining as Dan is. But ME3 has a much different feel. Again. It's not quite ME2 and not quite ME1. The most offputting thing to me was how it just throws you in - had no idea I would start at Level 30!

Generally speaking I don't recommend alting those games, though. I miss some of ME3's melee options in Binary Domain, and conversely I miss the voice actions in ME3. (Would be great to periodically piss off squad members with that system, heh)

JEKKI

whooo~!!! started this game and it's awesome!!!

but mother freakin 15 year old girls man...

really Japan?!?! u need to stop that.

STOP. IT. JAPAN.

Top Bottom