• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Knight Sword |OT| Praise the Suda!

Vert boil

bannertemp2e3pz8.png

sm4qvi.png
sm4qvi.png
sm4qvi.png
sm4qvi.png
sm4qvi.png
sm4qvi.png
sm4qvi.png
sm4qvi.png
sm4qvi.png
Launch trailer || Debut story teaser || Gameplay trailer

Developer: Grasshopper Manufacture
Publisher: Digital Reality
Release Date: PSN US 11th Dec (EU tba), XBLA 12th Dec
Formats: PSN, Xbox LIVE Arcade
Price: 800msp/10$

Black Knight Sword is a fresh, modern and interactive interpretation of a dark fantasy fairy tale: The Black Knight is led by the sword fairy through a whimsical world of eye-catching environments filled with curious looking creatures, only to discover who really caused the nightmare tragedy that he now finds himself trapped in...

A throwback to the classic platformers for the 8 and 16-bit era of games, Black knight Sword harkens a simpler time when simple yet addictive and challenging gameplay dominated the scene.

A tale from the warped mind of Suda51, styled after a Japanese paper drama with influences from the west including Terry Gilliam's work on Monty Python. The game was produced in Japan by Grasshopper with Akira Yamaoka composing the music.

You play as the Black Knight with a sword that contain a spirit, the Black Hellebore. Your goal is to hack and slash through the world on a quest to reach the evil princess.

The sword can be swung in multiple directions, you can charge up strikes or perform special attacks and evade enemy strikes. The Black Hellebore can be cast out of the sword and use to interact with the world.
Enemies drop hearts that can be spent in shops to increase your power. Throughout the world you can collect Cat head grass.

Gameplay Modes

Story

Arcade - Unlocked once you reach Stage 5 in Story mode. Arcade mode is a high score chase. There is a timer counting down 24 minutes and you have to hack and slash through a large number of enemies.

Challenge Mode - Challenge mode is skill based. The aim is to traverse or hack 'n slash through small missions in the quickest time possible.​

The game looks a bit naff in screenshots. Check out a video to see the dynamic backgrounds in action.

sm4qvi.png
sm4qvi.png
sm4qvi.png
sm4qvi.png
sm4qvi.png
sm4qvi.png
sm4qvi.png
sm4qvi.png
sm4qvi.png
Launch trailer || Debut story teaser || Gameplay trailer

Links,
PSN Trophies, XBLA achievements

Reviews,

Cheat Code Central - 4/5
Destructoid - 6.5/10
Hardcore Gamer - 3/5
IGN - 6.9/10
OXM - 7/10
PSX Extreme - 7/10
Push Square - 7/10

Vert boil

So is this a real GHM game or is it another Digital Reality game a la Sine Mora? Not gonna be fooled twice.

There's hardly any info out there about the game since they've been so quiet about it but when it was announced Yamaoka said that it was being developed in Japan.

Tizoc

Well if the game's going for $10, I'll prob. get it if I end up liking the demo.
Also Sine Mora PS3+Vita bundle for $15 plox.

But La Sine Mora was awesome. Eitherway.

The game prob. sparked for him an interest in furries...could be why he dislikes it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Looks seriously awful in screens, they don't convey the neat paper puppet show effect.

Hopefully the game's tight.

Aucool

Nice op man, good work. I'm a Suda51 fanboy so I'buy it as soon as possible, waiting tomorrow for the 360 release.

Kajiba

I Remember this game. Almost forgot that it was coming out. When I see this it always remind me of the side scrolling parts in shadows of the damn.

Uh, anyone find it a little odd that it was released under the radar like that? And that there doesn't seem to be any gameplay footage that isn't over a year old?

Vert boil

Is there a reason why we haven't heard for a long time about this? I was shocked that this will be released this week.
Uh, anyone find it a little odd that it was released under the radar like that? And that there doesn't seem to be any gameplay footage that isn't over a year old?

It is a little odd but it's rare that PSN/XBLA titles get a lot of press before release.
They've shown the game at PAX east 2012 and in Japan a few weeks ago. Cam footage from PAX on youtube but it was just the same areas that were originally shown at gamescom 2011.

It is a little odd but it's rare that PSN/XBLA titles get a lot of press before release.
They've shown the game at PAX east 2012 and in Japan a few weeks ago. Cam footage from PAX on youtube but it was just the same areas that were originally shown at gamescom 2011.
Yeah, but I figured it would've been kind of a bigger deal though. There just doesn't seem to be much coverage or information out there, even for a downloadable title. I'm interested in it, but I can't say I'd feel confident enough in it to just download it day 1 without hearing more impressions at least. I wouldn't have realized it even released if not for this thread.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Black Knight Sword demo Its not bad but it isnt something that makes me jump to buy it.
+Great Presentation
+Great Music
+-Ok Platforming
-Repetitive combat
-Enemy Design could have been better.

Maybe if the game fleshes out later I would jump on it but at the moment I'll be passing.

They should have also let me fight that first boss.
Quoted

I'm pretty intrigued by this so I'll definitely give the demo a shot when it releases tomorrow on XBLA. I'm pretty mixed on GHM overall so hopefully this turns out to be one that I like.

Yuterald

Just tried the demo. I came off liking this 10x more than the Sine Mora demo. Game looks nice, controls are tight, first level seemed pretty interesting. It's got a Ghost 'N Goblins-like armor system too (on top of a traditional health bar, however). Boss looked cool at the end of the demo. Too bad you couldn't fight it.

I'm pretty tempted to impulse download this. Not the biggest fan of Grasshopper anymore, but I always find myself playing their games or at least being drawn to them. I don't know what to think about this Digital Reality collaboration either. I really couldn't get into Sine Mora, but this game is doing me for me from the little I played.

Hmm...well, there IS a giant face boss teased on the ad "buy this now!" splash screen at the end of the demo...Fuck it, buying it!

Rolf NB

The demo is pretty good, but limited. Controls are nice and tight, and the combat mechanics seem very flexible, but as others said before, there's nothing in the first stage that really makes you use it. It all depends on enemy design later on.

Stab up/down mid-jump gave me a good Zelda 2 flashback, if that still means anything to anyone.

ironcreed

Banned
Well worth the $10.00. Game is neat as hell and a great little change of pace. Especially love the art and the story telling. Cat head grass and goodie filled microwaves here I come.

ironcreed

Banned
Just tried the demo. I came off liking this 10x more than the Sine Mora demo. Game looks nice, controls are tight, first level seemed pretty interesting. It's got a Ghost 'N Goblins-like armor system too (on top of a traditional health bar, however). Boss looked cool at the end of the demo. Too bad you couldn't fight it.

I'm pretty tempted to impulse download this. Not the biggest fan of Grasshopper anymore, but I always find myself playing their games or at least being drawn to them. I don't know what to think about this Digital Reality collaboration either. I really couldn't get into Sine Mora, but this game is doing me for me from the little I played.

Hmm...well, there IS a giant face boss teased on the ad "buy this now!" splash screen at the end of the demo...Fuck it, buying it!

Yep, I had to as well. Game has a lot of character and just a really cool dark fairy tale sort of vibe. Great little side-scroller and is a fantastic change of pace.

It really has the GNG sort of vibe. But I don't know. Are there more weapons to unlock later or is it all the time only the sword and the head? NG+?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It really has the GNG sort of vibe. But I don't know. Are there more weapons to unlock later or is it all the time only the sword and the head? NG+?

I'll just quote my impressions from the weekly PSN Thread to here:

Black Knight Sword DEMO: Wow, it's a Ghouls and Ghost and Goblins-a-like, with modern day production values, lots of blood, and a narration! The demo might leave you thinking your knight is limited in moves, but reading the options reveals Magic, Sword Wave, Special Slash, and Charge abilities await use in the full game.

Well, that's dumb. SHOW us these things in gameplay, don't hide them in the "How to Play"! How many people read THAT?!?

I really liked what I played, especially for a $10 game. Reminds me of GnG on PSP. The presentation seems very well refined, and it seems like the kind of game you don't really expect to be made too often now-a-days; arcadey, well-polished, and with a tight, focused gameplay that depends on developing substance to each attack given, rather than just spewing out useless attacks that'll never be used, because they overlap in use and effectivness. (Though I can't say this for SURE, until I play the Full Game.)

----

No idea if there's a new game plus. I really wouldn't expect any future weapons in a game named as this one is (Even the floating head projectile is just the spiritual manefestation of the sword, or something of that effect), but I think it's cool they offer some magic, and special attacks (the Sword Slash move even seems to be done with a half circle forward + Square, according to the "how to play" guide!)

Vert boil

Had a quick play and reached the
shmup
section of stage 3 before getting my first game over (dumps you back at the start of the stage. Losing one life just puts you back at the last checkpoint).
Quite nice so far. The game got it's first middle finger earlier in stage 3 but the section was easy to clear on my second pass. The few goofy bits so far have been amusing and there have been quite a few hidden doors/microwaves that give out hearts or 1-ups.

Top Bottom