• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa now out in Early Access. $20.

Well I found this on crouch jumping:

"Not sure about the new free version but retail now has an optional "auto crouch jump" feature. I was actually one of the team members hugely in support of crouch jumping the way it was in our mod, but the auto crouch jump has totally won me over. It's so good."

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/i...iries-about-the-mod/?postID=599432#post599432

That's some excellent news. The crouchjump moves bothered me in an otherwise excellent gaming experience.

Played the free version when it originally came out and I just bought this version. Such an awesome way to play the first Half Life. I'm cool with supporting these dudes.

The multiplayer is a little rough.

The maps don't feel... right, they're really dark and I have a hard time figuring out where I am compared to where that place was on the old version. I kept getting lost on maps I had been on a million times

I also crashed when picking up a shotgun.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I would say good on Valve for allowing this; but Valve is still going to be getting a cut of this and had to do literally no work on it.

Even if that was true, which it isn't because it's just a remake of a game by Valve, your grocery store doesn't grow the damn food on your table, and Amazon doesn't make the shit they ship you, but they still get a cut of the product price too.

Why do you think that is?

Yarbskoo

The most notable change is probably the Marines. Not only did our lead programmer rewrite their AI entirely, their values and behaviour were adjusted a lot too. They're no longer aimbots, but are instead much more like HL1 in that they run around a lot (and move fast), and are very good at finding angles and applying pressure on you with nades and tactics. Testers and the team seem to think they're way more fun and less frustrating to fight now, and I certainly think that too. In particular some of the tougher set pieces like the QE ambush are really fun now because there's a lot of unpredictable, run and gun action. The LAV is also tough now.

The auto crouch jump feature sounds good, but I'm much more interested in seeing the new AI in action. The aimbot AI was one of my biggest complaints about the original mod version. Hopefully the revision isn't such a step back from the original in this regard.

Mman235

Well I found this on crouch jumping:

"Not sure about the new free version but retail now has an optional "auto crouch jump" feature. I was actually one of the team members hugely in support of crouch jumping the way it was in our mod, but the auto crouch jump has totally won me over. It's so good."

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/i...iries-about-the-mod/?postID=599432#post599432

Oh shit they've confirmed that you can change Vortiguant charge speed now (and tweaked it already); that was like my #1 issue outside the Marine balance as the old implementation completely ruined their role IMO. Hopefully it can be made difficulty dependant like the original too.

shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

I decided to wait when I heard this would be an official Valve endorsed game through steam. I am definitely down to pay for it also. I heard they did a fantastic job from friends who have played the free version. I can't imagine the hardwork/love they put into this.

warheat

What happened to reading more thoroughly?

02aa091833.png

What's your point? They never plan to sell it until Valve give them permission to then they change their original plan because

"Our decision to sell Black Mesa rests on two key points. One is we believe we can make the game even better by having full access to the Source engine. This lets us tackle and fix limitations instead of working around them. The second is because frankly, our team could really use the financial help.". source

That being said, it doesn't change the fact that they going back on their words and the additional text you posted was added later in the wiki page so what happened with checking source before posting?

Wiki history can be found here : http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/index.php?title=General_FAQ&action=history

You guys are seriously arguing having to pay for this version? They put in all that FREE work and let people play it already.

The free version is floating out there in the ether if it isn't on Steam. I personally think it's funny to be upset over this, as why shouldn't these guys be paid for their work? I played the mod a few years ago when it released and was very impressed by the amount of effort and work that went into it. They updated and changed things for the better in quite a few ways. Music, sound effects, graphics, pacing were very much improved(mostly) in my opinion and it was fun to go back and play a WAAAYYYYY better looking version of Half-Life 1 that I hadn't played since I was 11. It was like my minds nostalgic memories version of a very dated looking game right in front of me but actually looks as good as I felt it did as an 11 y/o. It was pretty bad ass considering it didn't cost me a single cent to play.

They put a ton of effort into the remake and not a simple up-port or reskin and it shows. They deserve to be paid for that if you're interested in playing an even better(presumably) version of the game that came out 2 years ago. All that said, money is more focused on an eventual GPU upgrade(980 Ti) and I won't be picking this up immediately, but those interested should definitely at a minimum, download the mod from a few years ago and relive some memories. I'm more curious(as I haven't looked into it) as to whom from the original mod team is still around/on the team and what they've become since then. Are they now a studio?

Revenile

It will be worth the money...once Xen is out. 2.5 years later and they redid what they had already... It's great that they improved what they had, but I've seen projects go into a never-ending loop of 'fixing the old' stuff and never finishing. $20 is fine for this, or it will be once it is finished. It's on my watch list and will be on my 'to-buy' list when xen is put into place. So...2017ish?

The M.O.B

Entitled gamers, possibly the worst breed on the planet.

Loved going through the mod even if did need more tweaking for the gameplay.

Lazaro

Interesting. I played this awhile ago when it released. I'd gladly pay for it.

Would be awesome if Valve and the devs ported this to Xbox One and PS4 consoles. Since Valve is currently absent on Consoles.

MiguelItUp

Played multiplayer for a bit over an hour, had a good time! I wasn't having any issues, but it sounded like some other folks on the server were. So it's definitely a bit rough, but it's a lot of fun!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

They "fixed" the Idiot Pipe that made DarkSydePhil famous.

...Well, I guess sacrifices had to be made now that this is a retail product. I'm going to miss seeing people get stuck on that.

eot

Banned
The guy who did the uncut versions has since joined the team. They won't be officially included, however he will upload them to the workshop in a couple of weeks.

That's a shame, because Surface Tension is one of the best chapters and the version in BM really felt like it was missing something. His uncut version hit the mark much better. On a Rail is actually a chapter I like too. Even though the trains are annoying, there arer some great firefights in there.

The main thing I hope they improve though is the HECU Grunts. Their hitscan mp5s made them no fun to fight, and their AI sadly didn't live up to HL1 either.

edit: saw the post on the last page, great

jambo

That's a shame, because Surface Tension is one of the best chapters and the version in BM really felt like it was missing something. His uncut version hit the mark much better. On a Rail is actually a chapter I like too. Even though the trains are annoying, there are some great firefights in there.

It really is a pity about Surface Tension, jut bad timing with the mapper leaving the team.

I actually prefer the shorter On A Rail, the original was just looping sections and it was always terrible annoying when you would miss a turn signal and then have to loop all the way around whilst being shot at.

kch

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

...Well, I guess sacrifices had to be made now that this is a retail product. I'm going to miss seeing people get stuck on that.

Haha! Thank you for sharing that. Amazing.

I'll buy this to support the devs. MP sounds like it could be fun times as well.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
From what I played of the original release an even more polished and finished version is definitely worth the 20. Glad to see Valve be cool with it. Maybe it'll inspire the guys to work on HL3 :lol

vladdamad

Anyone else playing the multiplayer? Feels a little janky to me, but the map layout is really good. I'm not a big fan of the default pistol but I suppose that's kinda the point. I feel like it needs some more game modes for it to really stand out, maybe capture the flag or something. At the moment it really does feel a bit bare bones.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That whole "controversy" is coming back to me now. :lol

Newboi

I bought in. I already played the mod version, but I really want to support the team any way I can. They truly put a lot of love into this (and mostly with their own money and free time).

Also bought Wolfenstein: Old Blood. I have way too many games to play and not nearly enough time. Maybe I should just use all of my vacation to stay in my room and play video games...

jambo

Having a great time with this. Hard mode against soldiers feels much less aimbot-like.

Still love some of the custom effects, like the Garg fire and Bullsquid acid.

Plus the new MP5 is perfect. Pretty much all the weapons have great new animations.

EDIT: ​
AomFnBY.png
​

Pretty sure this is the Stanley Parable voice actor, he lets you in to the test chamber.

I don't see an issue with the paid version. They get to sell it, make some money, have valves approval, access to the source engine code, upgrade the engine/models/etc.

And there is still a free version that is the majority of original mod for no cost.

Bought, but I probably won't actually play it for some time. I played the mod version the day it came out and loved it; happy to finally give my money to this project, as it is very obviously a labor of love for the team.

The bitching I see about Black Mesa going retail is pathetic. I mean, holy hell, I hate the word "Entitled" since I often see it used to silence people criticising genuinely greedy practices in the industry, but in this one particular instance...

Entitled.

The bitching I see about Black Mesa going retail is pathetic. I mean, holy hell, I hate the word "Entitled" since I often see it used to silence people criticising genuinely greedy practices in the industry, but in this one particular instance...

Entitled.
I agree 100%. This was known from the beginning that they were charging for the Steam edition. They deserve what ever money they can get for this awesome release. They have MP, Steam Workshop, and the promise of additional content down the line.

Having a great time with this. Hard mode against soldiers feels much less aimbot-like.

Still love some of the custom effects, like the Garg fire and Bullsquid acid.

Plus the new MP5 is perfect. Pretty much all the weapons have great new animations.

Awesome, I was hoping they would have an update for the MP5, I really didn't like the last one.

jambo

Awesome, I was hoping they would have an update for the MP5, I really didn't like the last one.

The weapons are also so much better thanks to the new recoil system.

It's back to old school run and gun in the steam version.

Grunts are much improved too, more grenading and running, and less aimbot.

I'm not 100% sure, but yep, he sounds very similar to the Stanely's deus ex machina.

Apparently they got the same guy, Kevan Brighting!

Played a bit this morning, definitely worth the bucks. I like that Kleiner and Vance look like younger versions of their HL2 models, rather than muppets like in the original game.

Jumped into the MP, played a couple of maps (a couple of devs were there), and it's pretty good. Need to get the feel for it and also tweak some stuff, but it's fun. This might be a good companion to Dirty Bomb.

Tomorrow will check out the SP.

Top Bottom