• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black myth: Wukong has broken all time concurrent player number record for a single-player game on Steam

Draugoth

Gold Member

#BlackMythWukong has broken all time concurrent player number record for a single-player game on Steam​

faHz3HE.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see the east/west split. While it's had some hype in the west, nothing suggested these numbers, the chinese market must be huge.
It's the first global AAA game release by a Chinese developer based on the most popular IP in China, so the reaction is expected.

NeoLed

It's the first proper AAA release from China, so I think the country is hard carrying it. I bet the split is something like 70% China, and 30% rest of the world.
Sun Wu Kong popularity in East Asia and SE Asia might contribute too

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
"hurr durr, why isn't the rest of the world chronically online like us!?"
oZuWuFl.jpeg

It’s not enough that entire AAA budgets have to be sacrificed on the altar to pander to resetera crowd like Concord. Every game and every consumer must past their purity test and the whole industry must revolve around their fringe politics. The sense of entitlement is unreal. Thankfully we can see the market rejecting their nonsense in realtime.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Honestly, even though this is almost exclusively due to china (the fact that its midnight here and only 6am in europe pretty much confirms this is all from the china release), I have to give credit where credit is due.

A few things:
- One of the few china/south korean vaporware games that actually released
- One of the few next gen games that actually didnt get a major downgrade
- One of the few games from an indie/first time studio that delivered an epic AAA game with insane setpieces and boss battles. SSM take note.
- Old school single player when other major studios are/were chasing gaas trash. ND should take note.
- A truly great action game with next gen graphics proving you can have both graphics and gameplay. something hellblade devs forgot.

Looks like Crimson Desert by Pearl Abyss will be releasing soon. Maybe its time to move on from western devs who have disappointed over and over again as they chase cross gen, gaas, and insanely woke stories with millennial dads, spoiled gen z kids, and lesbian girl boss leads. Crimson desert looks even more insane in terms of scale and ambition. Both are something I wanted out GOW.

This game might still flop in the west but i hope it succeeds for the reasons above. Good to see devs get rewarded for making games players actually want to play.

Last edited:

laynelane

What the fuck?

How is this game so popular?

I guess the Chinese market is much bigger than I expected? Wonder what the regional split is

It might not just be the Chinese market. 'Journey to the West' is popular in other countries too - eg. Dragon Ball is loosely based off of it as is Black Myth Wukong. It may not have as much cultural impact in North America and Europe, for example, but the same can't be said for many other places in the world.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Honestly, even though this is almost exclusively due to china (the fact that its midnight here and only 6am in europe pretty much confirms this is all from the china release), I have to give credit where credit is due.

A few things:
- One of the few china/south korean vaporware games that actually released
- One of the few next gen games that actually didnt get a major downgrade
- One of the few games from an indie/first time studio that delivered an epic AAA game with insane setpieces and boss battles. SSM take note.
- Old school single player when other major studios are/were chasing gaas trash. ND should take note.
- A truly great action game with next gen graphics proving you can have both graphics and gameplay. something hellblade devs forgot.

Looks like Crimson Desert by Pearl Abyss will be releasing soon. Maybe its time to move on from western devs who have disappointed over and over again as they chase cross gen, gaas, and insanely woke stories with millennial dads, spoiled gen z kids, and lesbian girl boss leads. Crimson desert looks even more insane in terms of scale and ambition. Both are something I wanted out GOW.
Or maybe it’s time to make more games with monkeys. How about a macaque next?

Top Bottom