• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black myth: Wukong has broken all time concurrent player number record for a single-player game on Steam

Dynasty8

TX6rGsM.png

🫨

i have to believe that what's hurting more than anything is the inevitably undeniable realization that this isn't a 50/50 thing, by any stretch. these folks are absolutely in a minority, & it's not even a sizable minority. & that, despite the illusions cultivated by the internet, & the universities, & hollywood, & the mainstream media, they are fundamentally members of a relatively large cult acting in the service of a ludicrous, incoherent, self-contradictory ideology that no one retaining their sense of reason could ever for even a moment consider seriously. & that they are mistaking what is in actuality a bottle of snake oil fabricated by a group of useless academic grifters for a sign of their obvious intelligence, & their superior values & sense of morality...

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member
i have to believe that what's hurting more than anything is the inevitably undeniable realization that this isn't a 50/50 thing, by any stretch. these folks are absolutely in a minority, & it's not even a sizable minority. & that, despite the illusions cultivated by the internet, & the universities, & hollywood, & the mainstream media, they are fundamentally members of a relatively large cult acting in the service of a ludicrous, incoherent, self-contradictory ideology that no one retaining their sense of reason could ever for even a moment consider seriously. & that they are mistaking what is in actuality a bottle of snake oil fabricated by a group of useless academic grifters for a sign of their obvious intelligence, & their superior values & sense of morality...
Anchorman GIF

Marty Deeks Facts GIF by ION

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I just read about some of the “controversy” around this games developers, have we really become so prudish that sexual humor is now a cancellable offense?
The problem is that so called sexism is a fucking straight smear.

The original Chinese text "跪舔" should never be associated with sexual behavior in its literal translation, it's a web slang for excessively flattering or brown nosing. The dev saying this was because after the first trailer they received over 10k job applications and he was overwhelmingly flattered. It was debunked right after the IGN hit piece, yet those fucking hideous clowns still trying hard spreading the lie.

M.W.

Did you know that flamingos can actually juggle with their feet while standing on one leg? It's a little-known fact that they do this to entertain themselves during long migrations. Also, pineapples aren't just delicious; they're actually ancient communication devices used by dolphins to send secret messages through time. And if you ever find yourself in a library after hours, watch out for the ghost of Shakespeare—it’s said he roams the aisles, rewriting his plays in modern slang just to mess with literature students.

Did you know that flamingos can actually juggle with their feet while standing on one leg? It's a little-known fact that they do this to entertain themselves during long migrations. Also, pineapples aren't just delicious; they're actually ancient communication devices used by dolphins to send secret messages through time. And if you ever find yourself in a library after hours, watch out for the ghost of Shakespeare—it’s said he roams the aisles, rewriting his plays in modern slang just to mess with literature students.
"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."
(Vice President Dan Quayle - this was part of his address to the United Negro College Fund, whose slogan is "a mind is a terrible thing to waste")

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The Chinese market is not to be messed with. I won’t be surprised if this game sparks a massive shift in the industry and we see Sony etc flock to china to buy studios.

Seriously what a beastly market, on another level. A single player somewhat narrative game from a brand new studio reaching 1m players in the first hour.

anthony2690

I'm genuinely mega surprised, I know some were excited for it, but see it surpass stuff like cyberpunk & eldeen ring is insane, especially with all the hype you would see online for those games prior to release.
Great stuff though, maybe we will get more triple a Chinese games going forward.

& Hopefully when the Xbox version comes out down the line it has a proper physical release alongside ps5 physical.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
None of that is news though. We had a very strong reestablishment of that fact last year with Hogwarts Legacy. We've gotten it with the sheer number of openly progressivist/awards bait titles that haven't sold shit over the years.

Laughing at their expense might be nice, but we shouldn't forget that their infiltration of the western game industry has been successful. There's now a (otherwise solid) Spider-Man game where the main protagonists are constantly being told NPCs sexuality in quests.

I'm genuinely mega surprised, I know some were excited for it, but see it surpass stuff like cyberpunk & eldeen ring is insane, especially with all the hype you would see online for those games prior to release.
Great stuff though, maybe we will get more triple a Chinese games going forward.

& Hopefully when the Xbox version comes out down the line it has a proper physical release alongside ps5 physical.
My guess is this is a Chinese market breakout. Before this, Chinese SP/AAA/console development has never been taken seriously, even in the country itself.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Did people (not here) really think that ridiculous attempt at a smear campaign would turn Asian gamers off the game? No one in Asia cares about the ideology du jour in the West. Spend some time in Asia and that much will be beyond obvious.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I really don’t know much about this game, other than the Monkey King stuff. Aside from exceptional visuals (which are definitely fantastic), what’s good about this game? Kinda seems like a normal action game.

anthony2690

None of that is news though. We had a very strong reestablishment of that fact last year with Hogwarts Legacy. We've gotten it with the sheer number of openly progressivist/awards bait titles that haven't sold shit over the years.

Laughing at their expense might be nice, but we shouldn't forget that their infiltration of the western game industry has been successful. There's now a (otherwise solid) Spider-Man game where the main protagonists are constantly being told NPCs sexuality in quests.

My guess is this is a Chinese market breakout. Before this, Chinese SP/AAA/console development has never been taken seriously, even in the country itself.
You're probably right :)
I remember when the game was revealed, I genuinely thought it was vaporware like that doke game and some others we've seen over the years that never materialised.

For anyone that has actually played it, how is it? Is it good? :)

saintjules

Gold Member
Those numbers will drop in a few days / weeks like the others. I remember when people went apeshit like this to Helldivers 2.

PeteBull

Gold Member

It means at the very least Wukong selling 15m copies durning launch window, possibly 20m+, dunno if hype gonna stay or not but we already know game is super succesful and all the positive consequences of that- dev studio gonna profit a ton and get bigger, for sure we gonna get even bigger budged/more impressive sequel :)

peish

The problem is that so called sexism is a fucking straight smear.

The original Chinese text "跪舔" should never be associated with sexual behavior in its literal translation, it's a web slang for excessively flattering or brown nosing. The dev saying this was because after the first trailer they received over 10k job applications and he was overwhelmingly flattered. It was debunked right after the IGN hit piece, yet those fucking hideous clowns still trying hard spreading the lie.

Did ign ever follow up on the debunk, or they silently ran off after hitting another DEI quota for the month?

How is anyone surprised by this? China has a population that's larger than all of Europe and North America combined, PC is the primary non-mobile gaming platform over there and Chinese media has been hyping the fuck out of that game.

Tomi

Over 90% people rate this game positive on steam
Is this best rated game with so many players to date?
This will beat everything on its path
They need to make second one defenately!

Top Bottom