• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

blood will tell kinda rocks!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i've played through the first three chapters, and killed 16 of its 48 fiends. it's not as if i don't understand the reviews -- the camera's a mess, the in game animation borders on inept, and the fighting's nowhere near as forceful or dynamic as something like ninja gaiden. in fact, forget ninja gaiden: blood will tell is clunkier than practically the entire damn crop of contemporary 3d action games. but hang on a moment -- it has a lot going for it.

it's not exactly a straight action game. there's lots of hidden stuff to root out, and there are a few different kinds of stat building. and while the cutscenes aren't spectacular or overbearing in an mgs style, they're smartly plotted and well animated, and they do a really good job of lending your actions context. it's at least an adventure game. wouldn't be a huge stretch to call it an action rpg...it'd certainly be one if the world was continuous rather than delivered in chapters.

it's an intriguing world, anyway. a lot of the pleasure is in the world rather than the action. the writing isn't great. it tends to be crudely expository. but the basic idea of a clockwork samurai wandering from one bombed out village to another hunting demons and reclaiming his body part by part is enjoyable. it has sort of a phantasmagorical samurai western thing going for it. the comic must have been a big influence on blade of the immortal, whose hiroaki samura contributes the game's character designs. the level designs are nicely atmospheric, and a lot of the fun is in returning to levels and scouring them for hidden fiends (seems like roughly half are optional).

the merits of the level designs don't end at atmosphere -- they're smartly paced and choreographed as well. again, the game is really good at context; you never feel as if you're just walking down a path and bopping mooks, even when that's precisely what you're doing. i don't want to spoil it, but there's a very good bit where hyakkimaru (the samurai) and dororo (the kid) coordinate to take on something very, very big. it's fucking cool.

it occurs to me that i hadn't mentioned the kid yet. that's reprehensible. the kid is great. thanks to strong animation and voice acting, he's charming where he might have been really irritating. and the sections where you take control of him nicely break up the action. plus you can assign him to root out secrets for you, and you're in no way responsible for protecting him. this makes him one of the very few likeable sidekicks in gaming.

i've said the action is clunky -- and it is -- but it's fun all the same. you can't block at all. you have to dodge everything or simply attack your enemies first. this works really well. particularly in the numerous and often well-designed boss encounters. the game's one novel mechanic is the "slice attack" system (or something of the sort), in which you follow an onscreen button sequence to prolong your combo, like parappa without the rhythm. i really like the way it's implemented. it can be interrupted by other enemies, so you have to set it up carefully. it's fun to see how many attacks you can cram into the short window you're given (i've gotten as many as 28). and critically, a successful slice attack makes enemies drop items, and the longer your combo, the better the drop.

i've already written a lot more than i meant to. but i'm really enjoying it. and if you can forgive some clumsiness in a very clever game, you should check it out.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
i'm a bit of a hiroaki samura worshipper myself (in fact, on this trip to tokyo, i picked up two volumes of mugen no jyuunin that won't be published in the u.s. for another 16 months), which is why i'm glad to read that the game has lots of atmosphere. i've seen folks on EGM play it for review, and nah, it's no ninja gaiden, but the samura character designs and the funky ronin with hard ass enemies thing just screams blade of the immortal to me. hence, i will pick up this game first thing when i get back.

they had this huge dororo poster up at TGS in the sega booth right next to beserk. every time i saw it, i had an urge to go stand in line.

here is mugen no jyuunin:

6.jpg

drohne

off topic, but it's criminal how slowly the translated blade of the immortal volumes are coming out. just picked up the new one. i can't even remember when the last one was. and i find that i have to reread the entire series because i can't remember what was going on, or indeed half of the characters' names. not that i mind rereading blade of the immortal.

there's no samura art in the blood will tell instruction manual. but i bet there'll be a gallery once you beat the game.

chespace

drohne said:
off topic, but it's criminal how slowly the translated blade of the immortal volumes are coming out. just picked up the new one. i can't even remember when the last one was. and i find that i have to reread the entire series because i can't remember what was going on, or indeed half of the characters' names. not that i mind rereading blade of the immortal.

there's no samura art in the blood will tell instruction manual. but i bet there'll be a gallery once you beat the game.

well, the thing is, the manga is being released in japan at a monthly pace as well. apparently, samura is a slow worker. they could possibly translate about the two or three volumes worth now in the u.s., but then they'd run out of material to buffer for the u.s. monthly schedule... (which, i am going to assume makes darkhorse plenty of $$).

but i agree, it is absolutely criminal. :)

you just gotta love the Itto-Ryu.

weirdos.jpg

blade of the immortal. blade of the immortal. blade of the immortal.

That's what this reads like, not a bad thing at all to hear repeated. I've only skimmed impressions of this game so far and didn't even know about the "slice attack". I was pretty sure that the large number of mythical fiends sealed a purchase - now, guess I have to buy another game then... thanks a lot, you just spent my money. again.

drohne

you mean that shinsengumi game? the rurouni kenshin guy is doing the character designs for that.

i would be well pleased if the dororo team immediately went to work on a blade of the immortal game. maybe set it before manji gets the bloodworms. that would get around the "playing as an immortal character" problem. but that's just an idle fantasy.

and i've been reading the blade of the immortal trade paperbacks, which come out like once every six months. once it was a year between releases. it's pretty irritating. particularly compared to vagabond, which releases monthly. i'd consider picking up the comic issues (er, i dunno what you'd call them), but i prefer to read in decent-sized chunks, even if i have to wait.

chespace

just got back from TGS. yeah, i checked out that shinsengumi game actually. was pretty disappointed. moved like ass, and looked shit. didn't play it cuz unsurprisingly, the line was long. shinsengumi is probably being released this year to coincide with the conclusion of the NHK TV series of the same name (which i watch once in a while. it was certainly better than that NHK musashi series).

drohne, that's a great idea actually, a game detailing manji's past -- and how he got to kill 100 cops and at the end of the game, you see that old lady give him the kessen-chu. but then again, i want to fight the itto-ryu, those fucking hard-asses.

anyway, is dororo out? i'll pick it up tomorrow if it is.

oh, and i got a couple copies of phantom dust from the producer/designer (who happens to be the same guy behind Panzer Azel/RPG on SS). he was super nice, and i am really looking forward to playing some phantom dust tonight. looked absolutely phantastic. ;) that and assault suits valken i guess.

guess i'll post impressions of all that plus the playable demo of From Soft's metal wolf chaos on my blog later.

chespace

OT: jesus, i just tried assault suits valken on ps2... what a piece of junk. 42 bucks down the tubes. oh well.

According to Toren Smith on Studio Proteus's site, they are going to stop translating manga and are handing all their licenses over to Dark Horse, which will probably mean a few books of Blade of the Immortal a year instead of the single monthly (usually) issues.

A fun samurai comic that's been out for a while but I just picked up not long ago is Samurai Legend, a one-shot about Yagyu Jubei. Vagabond is my favorite realistic samurai manga by far and far surpasses the Samurai Trilogy in scope and drama as well as characterization. Also, anyone who has never read Lone Wolf and Cub owes it to themselves to try at least a few books out.

chespace

i love vagabond. it's really interesting to see how much takehiko inoue grew from the beginning of slam dunk and now vagabond -- a complete evolution of technique and mastery over visual storytelling. he recently drew two original full page-sized sketches of the two slam dunk heroes in a major tokyo paper thanking his fans for having sold like 100 million copies of slam dunk worldwide. i kept 'em of course. :)

that manga about the yagyu jubei legend sounds interesting... who's the artist? and publisher?

XS+

Banned
Chespace: Check your PM plz.

And the Shinsengumi demo looked liked a free-roaming, un-supernatural Onimusha to me..

Samurai Legend is by Taniguchi Jiro who drew Benkei and writer Furuyama Kan. Central Park Media published it in the states. It is nothing special, but it is a fun story. There are some cool ties to the Meiji restoration in the story.

I will probably get Dororo, as i love Samura's art, but even more because the prospect of a good Samurai adventure excites me. The only Samurai games that have not disappointed me were the Bushido Blade, Last Blade, and Samurai Shodown (1-2) series. Games like Way of the Samurai, Soul of the Samurai (which came close, but just wasn't enough), Kengo, Onimusha, and others have always failed to deliver what I wanted.

Takuan

chespace said:
he recently drew two original full page-sized sketches of the two slam dunk heroes in a major tokyo paper

SCAN PLS! I love Takehiko Inoue's works. I need to pick up Vagabond 13 and 14 when I get a chance. And if I ever head down to Japan, I'll have to buy the SD re-releases, even though I can't read a word of Japanese.

Anyway, what is this game? Got any pictures? I haven't heard of it 'til now.

Edit: Nm, did a google and found some pics. The game looks whacky.

chespace said:
he recently drew two original full page-sized sketches of the two slam dunk heroes in a major tokyo paper thanking his fans for having sold like 100 million copies of slam dunk worldwide.

According to the report I saw, there were six ads to six papers, at a total cost to himself of around 100 million yen.

Crazy.

I just hope he ends his Vagabond hiatus soon.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I have to disagree with Che; I think Vagabond is ok but I totally fell head over heels for the Shinsengumi game -- even if only because it's way better than Genki's shot at it.

chespace

just got Blood Will Tell (thanks DFS!) ... wow the cover is actually very nice. it's actually what i imagined samura's work would look like if you rendered it in 3D.

will post impressions later when i play it at home.

p.s. - phantom dust = teh rox

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This game gave a really poor first impression yesterday. The prologue and first chapter just didn't really win me over in terms of action, drama, or required technique. The graphics are dated, the control clunky, collision detection occasionnally screwy, and the camera hideos.

Still, the metroid-esque ability upgrades and promise of 48 unique bosses to plunder did drive my curiosity, cooler stuff began happening in Chapters 2 and 3. Boss patterns became less of a pure hit and dodge affair(or even just a mashfest). The puzzles and environments got a lot more interesting, even the narrative began to really grown on me.

It really is a unique game, very cinematic, but with plenty of secrets, originality, and game content to match. The wonky 8-bit era technical quibbles can almost be considered an homeage as the game sorta does feel like playing one. Infectious in a way, Hyakkimaru's quest has won me over. I like it.

chespace

fennec fox said:
I have to disagree with Che; I think Vagabond is ok but I totally fell head over heels for the Shinsengumi game -- even if only because it's way better than Genki's shot at it.

what does shinsengumi the game have to do with vagabond the manga? :)

but yeah i can see someone digging shinsengumi... i just thought it was a tad too goofy for me. i like my samurai games to be less superhero costumes (read: bushido blade character designs) and more grit. the whole combo system (where you repeatedly slash a guy over and over again) just doesn't scream swordplay to me. i don't know!

Brandon F

chespace said:
the whole combo system (where you repeatedly slash a guy over and over again) just doesn't scream swordplay to me. i don't know!

This is half the reason why i dug what Onimusha attempted with it's Issen attacks. I spent the whole of 2 and 3 just trying to perfect the timing needed to slaughter my foes in one deadly focused strike. It was pretty great how each enemy had a totally unique pattern and window to focus on.

chespace

Brandon F said:
This is half the reason why i dug what Onimusha attempted with it's Issen attacks. I spent the whole of 2 and 3 just trying to perfect the timing needed to slaughter my foes in one deadly focused strike. It was pretty great how each enemy had a totally unique pattern and window to focus on.

that's also why i love the charge-up attack with the dragon sword in ninja gaiden. one hit kills are the shit.

Brandon F

Just wanted to bump since I beat the game before the debates this evening. This includes finding all 48 body parts.

I was particularly surprised by the narrative mostly(Tezuka's astroboy game similarly kept me enthralled in the background events), nice twist in the end there. Beyond that, I really dug the unique handling of the level layouts, aside from the occasional dry slog, Sega really shook this ginsu brawler with unique obstacles and events in each chapter that really separate this from the Onimusha's, Shinobi's, and whatnot out there...yes that does include some intensely grating platforming now and again.

I wasn't too happy with the boss encounters though. It's great that so many were in the game and even the 'repeats' had different patterns, but they all mostly go down with the same extended combo strings and fearless offensive pounding. Very few stood out from the pack as anything I would term 'heated'. Much like Metroid, much of the body parts increase your power and output substantially, making it a pretty simple affair to the end.

Regardless, it had a great cast and an interesting hook dynamic. Can't disagree with the scores it has received, but it wasn't all that bad.

Top Bottom