• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Thanks guys. Only problem I have is that
I turned around the stairs and took out Living Failures and no I have no idea where the dude is now lol. I'm assuming you can turn the stairs around by going back to the top of it.
So, I'll do that and see what happens.

Edit : So I
went back to Ludwig with some church stuff on but he had an arrow in his head :( Did I mess something up?
Also,
nice that we get the Moonlight sword. So I'm guessing its for arcane builds since it starts with a C in arcane. Would a pure phyiscal build get anything out of this or is it not worth it?

I don't remember if you can turn the stairs back but there are two elevator shortcuts that connect every level of the lab.
Forgot about Ludwig. He's killed by a certain hunter if you leave for the next area.

It's gonna be okay guys, we all know what the real GOTY is ;__;

Like okay...BB losing to Ori for Art Direction...could have gone either way...okay...

Goty..okay was gonna be difficult seeing as how mainstream gamers enjoy their big open world ARPGs with horrible combat...okay

But not being nominated for Action-Adventure, or the bigger travesty BEST SOUNDTRACK...thats a horrible.

MrHoot

Kinda a bit let down it didn't win best art direction.

And yeah, not in action adventure but asscreed is ? I don't expect it would've won but c'mon, nomination.

Aaaah well watchu' gonna do

When Splatoon beat out Destiny and Titanfall for best multiplayer, I had a glimmer of hope that Bloodborne might actually be able to get the GOTY award =(

When Splatoon beat out Destiny and Titanfall for best multiplayer, I had a glimmer of hope that Bloodborne might actually be able to get the GOTY award =(

Kinda a bit let down it didn't win best art direction.

And yeah, not in action adventure but asscreed is ? I don't expect it would've won but c'mon, nomination.

Aaaah well watchu' gonna do

GAF Vote will vindicate it. We all know what the best most complete package of a game was this year.

Like okay...BB losing to Ori for Art Direction...could have gone either way...okay...

Goty..okay was gonna be difficult seeing as how mainstream gamers enjoy their big open world ARPGs with horrible combat...okay

But not being nominated for Action-Adventure, or the bigger travesty BEST SOUNDTRACK...thats a horrible.

If it were up to me it would be up for best narrative too but "lol who plays souls for the story" or "loooore isn't narrative". Never had a shot in hell for that award, sadly.

Cotrip

Well, it's 2011 all over again, with Skyrim winning GOTY awards over Dark Souls.

But we all know which game turned out to be superior over time...

MrHoot

GAF Vote will vindicate it. We all know what the best most complete package of a game was this year.

Witcher 3 winning GOTY doesn't bother me at all. It's a hell of a good game, and it's huge. At least it's not Fallout 4 that won, cuz I would've been incredibly disappointed

Sealed

Banned
I also think Bloodborne got shafted for the awards.

Also just wanted to pop in to say that the Old Hunters has a damn amazing score. The
Ludwig Holy Blade
theme (which is also the trailer theme) is so fucking on point. I keep listening to it lol. The
Maria
theme is also awesome.

(Major first DLC boss spoilers)
I wish I could leave a message that said "The real Demon's Souls starts here" because part 2 of that fight looks like a great homage to one of the later boss fights in Demon's Souls.

which one?

Correct. When I saw the nominees for that category and didn't see BB......WAT?

At least it got nominated for a few other categories. There were plenty of other excellent games that also got nominated but didn't win. And we all know that -- with a few exceptions -- usually these awards are played safe and given to multiplatform games.

Hopefully it'll shine more light on BB for more sales. Pretty sure there were plenty of people watching the conference tonight who hadn't heard of BB in the past. Now maybe they'll buy it.

If it were up to me it would be up for best narrative too but "lol who plays souls for the story" or "loooore isn't narrative". Never had a shot in hell for that award, sadly.

This so much. Lol if people actually put in as much effort to understand the lore/narrative in this game as they do in going around running errands for people in huge RPGs theyd be blown away at the depth and complexity of it all. This isnt to say TW3 is some fetch quest of a game though, apparently its on the goodg-great end in that aspect.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Bloodborne was nominated in best RPG, not best action-adventure. But yeah it's no surprise that it didn't win anything, you guys should know better by now that these GotY awards/lists are shite. :)

Bloodborne was nominated in best RPG, not best action-adventure. But yeah it's no surprise that it didn't win anything, you guys should know better by now that these GotY awards/lists are shite. :)

I usually dont care or get this invested into these things but this year the salt hit me like a ton of bricks lol

aly

There's always Dark Souls 3 right? Right?!

Lol no. These games never seem to win awards like this. All great nominees too, but it sucks that Bloodborne got the DiCaprio treatment. But we knew that when they were talking about it in the pre-show.

Fhtagn

Not only that, but the "best" stuff usually is the best by being willing to alienate some people, so GOTY, much like Album of the Year or Movie of the Year is usually a much less interesting award than being nominated and having people gripe years later about how you didn't win.

For example, Forest Gump won over Pulp Fiction for best picture. Chew on that for a bit.

Getting bent out of shape over awards is silly.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think ironically, Demon's Souls, the most niche and single-platform one, is the only one of the Soulsborne series to have ever won GotY from a major publication (Gamespot).

silva1991

"from the people who gave the GOTY 2014 to Dragon Age"

" and gave the title of best action game to Shadow of Mordor over Bayonetta2 and Dark souls2"

they are always predictable.

congrats to CDPR, but there was no competition really. the winner is always obvious n these shows.

Kudo

I'd be lying if I said I weren't little disappointed that BB didn't win the goty. TW3 feels so outdated compared to it, but yes like people are saying.. sadly it's not the best game that wins these.

Rich Stanton seems like a great guy, his tweets speak for the truth.

This so much. Lol if people actually put in as much effort to understand the lore/narrative in this game as they do in going around running errands for people in huge RPGs theyd be blown away at the depth and complexity of it all. This isnt to say TW3 is some fetch quest of a game though, apparently its on the goodg-great end in that aspect.

Witcher 3 is well written, certainly no slouch in that arena. Lots of good moral ambiguity, characters, complex political situations and motivations. My issue is that, yeah Witcher 3 is well written, but its still just you sitting there watching people talk for half the game.

Bloodborne has really compelling narrative where how its told meshes with the themes of the horror it deals with, and the gameplay mechanics and characters situation in the world, and is so detail oriented where items locations and enemies locations tell stories of there own blows my mind. There are minimal cutscenes, and what reading you do have to do to understand the story is like a sentence or two at a time, really elegantly written, and is directly tied to the function of items and things in the world you interact with.

So not only does Bloodborne tell a really good story, but it does so in a unique and interesting way that fully complements every aspect of its design.

It's my personal GOTY and all but come on now, Souls games' narrative are essentially social experiments. You need thousands of people ruminating the story together over a period of time to make any sense out of it, and in the end it's still all guesswork.

Or you can do it on your own and use evidence the game provides to make educated guesses on the things the game doesn't outright say. And the things that involve guesswork and speculation are directly related to incomprehensible beings that drive anyone mad that try to understand them. The story itself, and its themes, are not really obfuscated or relegated to guesswork in anyway.

traveler

Not Wario

Witcher 3 is incredibly popular. And arguing against it on a content basis is insane. I think it's easily the favored game going into the GAF goty vote. Fallout 4 isn't nearly as popular here, and its vote will be somewhat cannibalized by the W3 vote, so I could see BB beating it. I just don't see BB taking first over W3. Would be happy to be wrong though!

The mechanics, skill curve, and design set it apart, but I don't those will matter as much to the mass vote as writing or open world appeal.

zma1013

Lol no. These games never seem to win awards like this. All great nominees too, but it sucks that Bloodborne got the DiCaprio treatment. But we knew that when they were talking about it in the pre-show.

I never expected it to win the BIG award, but something in one of the other categories seemed plausible.

This so much. Lol if people actually put in as much effort to understand the lore/narrative in this game as they do in going around running errands for people in huge RPGs theyd be blown away at the depth and complexity of it all.

Yeah, it's a shame. I predict Edge will award it GotY, it's their only ten after all.

Heh. Stanton keeps fighting the good fight.
https://twitter.com/RichStanton/status/672634776201895936?s=09

I shouldn't be too salty about it I guess, but like Bayo 2 last year, it would be nice to see these rich Japanese games get their moment of glory.

There's always the GAF GotY thread I guess. :)

I'm not sure why you guys thought Bloodborne would win anything. A small panel of journalists who likely couldn't make it out of Central Yharnam if their life depended on it aren't going to vote for Bloodborne in any category.

That said, Ori for art direction and TW3 for GotY were good picks... just not the ones I would have made. Ori not winning best soundtrack was pretty ridiculous as well imo.

Witcher 3 is well written, certainly no slouch in that arena. Lots of good moral ambiguity, characters, complex political situations and motivations. My issue is that, yeah Witcher 3 is well written, but its still just you sitting there watching people talk for half the game.

Bloodborne has really compelling narrative where how its told meshes with the themes of the horror it deals with, and the gameplay mechanics and characters situation in the world, and is so detail oriented where items locations and enemies locations tell stories of there own blows my mind. There are minimal cutscenes, and what reading you do have to do to understand the story is like a sentence or two at a time, really elegantly written, and is directly tied to the function of items and things in the world you interact with.

So not only does Bloodborne tell a really good story, but it does so in a unique and interesting way that fully complements every aspect of its design.

The bolded is why I'd personally rate it above TW3. It takes full advantage of the medium to tell its story. Unfortunately that is too much work for some.

Akara

Banned
Well Bloodborne did win in the Golden Joystick Award Best Original Game and Playstation Exclusive so there's that.

The snub was real though, it's not a surface level game, its very difficult, of course this wouldn't appease mainstream audiences.

I think ironically, Demon's Souls, the most niche and single-platform one, is the only one of the Soulsborne series to have ever won GotY from a major publication (Gamespot).
Kinda surprising. No other major publication since then has given a Souls game the nod?

I wonder if BB will buck the trend. I can't imagine it will get snubbed at each and every other publication, but weirder things have certainly happened....

Bloodborne's not GOTY...it's GOTG.

Anyway, DS3 is supposedly the last in the series, so that should give it extra award points for next year.
Best RPG next year will go to Persona 5, if it goes to any RPG from Japan.

Persona series is an absolute media darling. No way it won't get a nomination if not the win, regardless of actual quality (granted, I think it'll be awesome).

Kinda surprising. No other major publication since then has given a Souls game the nod?

I wonder if BB will buck the trend. I can't imagine it will get snubbed at each and every other publication, but weirder things have certainly happened....

I think Edge institutionally regrets not awarding it to Dark Souls over Skyward Sword back in 2011. They retroactively increased the score from a 9 to a 10 and named it game of the generation a year or two ago.

Imru’ al-Qays;187836216 said:
I think Edge institutionally regrets not awarding it to Dark Souls over Skyward Sword back in 2011. They retroactively increased the score from a 9 to a 10 and named it game of the generation a year or two ago.

Didn't they name it best game of all time in that recent list? Or was that someone else?

EDIT: Yes, they did. And Bloodborne at #4!

Bloodborne's not GOTY...it's GOTG.

Anyway, DS3 is supposedly the last in the series, so that should give it extra award points for next year.

Uncharted 4 releases next year lol. No biggie though. I personally believe Souls will be those games people look back on in 15-20 years and remember as the classics of the age.

I can't do it.. I can't beat
Ludwig
at the level I'm at and I am getting really tired. I'm going to have to overlevel to see more of the DLC especially since I'll most likely be starting another game tomorrow.

I haven't been this embarrassed since I couldn't beat O&S on my first character.

It sucks too because
the second phase seems easier, but it is basically luck if I get to that point
. This build just might be really bad (it has to juggle two attack stats which hurt my vit), I don't know.

Top Bottom