• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodbornes Chalice Dungeons is an awesome concept for GaaS

Mr Hyde

Over the years I've been playing a lot of Bloodborne, and a lot of those hours are dedicated to the games optional Chalice Dungeons, the randomized Diablo -styled dungeons you can explore. And I can't stop thinking what an awesome concept it is and how it could be something truly unique if it just had the chance to evolve beyond this first attempt.

It would be perfect to spin off the Chalice Dungeons as a live service game, continuously supporting it with new dungeon layouts, weapons, unique bosses, enemies, items and perhaps even quests. You can do PvE or PvP, co-op or solo, maybe 4v4 or exploring the dungeons with even more hunters, like a group of six just going deeper and deeper in to the tombs. You can have different seasons coming out, just pumping the game full of awesome content. It can either be dungeons that are randomized or have a set design from the get go.

The gameplay loop in Bloodborne is so damn good that I would be all for a spin off like this. I normally don't have any interest in Gaas but a live service Chalice Dungeon game would be cool as fuck. I feel that From Software had the intentions to improve and evolve this feature, as you can see they have different categories in the menu where chalices are displayed, but since this optional content of Bloodborne wasn't received very well, they dropped it.

What do you think? Would a live service game that take the concept of Bloodbornes Chalice Dungeons be something that you would like?

near

Gold Member
Not sure if I'd be able to handle a FromSoftware GaaS in vein of Chalice Dungeons. There is only a finite amount of dying I can do in game before I end up dying irl from stress.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
giphy.gif

I don’t want any GaaS shit anywhere near FROM games.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh Christ, false alarm. Whew.

Sorry, I have a google alert set for any headline that has “Bloodborne” and “GaaS” in the same sentence. You really freaked me out there for a second.

Bernardougf

Gaas and Bloodborne in the same sentence ... I dont have enough vomit in me to express my disgust, you just keep this filth word from my favorite souls game and favorite game from ps4 gen.... show some respect.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gaas and Bloodborne in the same sentence ... I dont have enough vomit in me to express my disgust, you just keep this filth word from my favorite souls game and favorite game from ps4 gen.... show some respect.

I don't see the issue. The majority of the people who loved Bloodborne didn't care much for Chalice Dungeons, so why not spin it off to a live service game and then, if ia sequel comes along, it just consists of a very well made main game without CD? It's a win-win.

bender

What time is it?
They were pretty terrible as you could recognize the building blocks in a few short hours. A lot of the side dungeons felt like they were developed using this method but then were tweaked manually to give it the human touch. /wild ass speculation

Ge Os

I don't see the issue. The majority of the people who loved Bloodborne didn't care much for Chalice Dungeons, so why not spin it off to a live service game and then, if ia sequel comes along, it just consists of a very well made main game without CD? It's a win-win.
Then you clearly never farmed for some top tier gems, my fellow hoonter.

Mr Hyde

Why the fuck I EVER want GaaS in my games? The part I like about FROM game even they have online feature I can still play them completely offline if I want to.

Did you even read the OP? It's not about turning Bloodborne into a live service game. It's about spinning off Chalice Dungeons as one. The main game in BB is fine as it is. Also, it's clear you have a severe lack of reading comprehension so you might want to work on that before turning up here all triggered like you always are.

Perrott

giphy.gif

I don’t want any GaaS shit anywhere near FROM games.
GaaS doesn't necessarily have to mean multiplayer, online-only, microtransactions, battle passes or anything like that.

At it's core, a games-as-a-service stands for a game that is planned around receiving additional content updates regularly that keep it going, so even the most traditional, no bullshit, singleplayer game could actually be a GaaS if the studio behind it does plan for a frequent delivery of post-launch content.

Now, not all game concepts would welcome this model the same, but in the case of From games, well, who wouldn't have wanted for Bloodborne to receive a The Old Hunters-sized expansion every year (expanding and fleshing out the BB world) for, say, the first four years after launch? With additional content and variation being introduced for free to the Chalice Dungeons in between major releases.

Danjin44

Did you even read the OP? It's not about turning Bloodborne into a live service game. It's about spinning off Chalice Dungeons as one. The main game in BB is fine as it is. Also, it's clear you have a severe lack of reading comprehension so you might want to work on that before turning up here all triggered like you always are.
you made thread about asking people want FROM to make Chalice dungeon GaaS game I don’t want FROM wasting time making GaaS games…it that simple.

Mr Hyde

"Awesome concept" and "GaaS" in the same sentence, sir?

As I said in the OP, I normally don't give a fuck about GaaS, but Chalice Dungeons is a perfect concept for it. It's probably the only one I would like to see turning into a full fledged live service game. It has the potential to be awesome.

Mr Hyde

you made thread about asking people want FROM to make Chalice dungeon GaaS game I don’t want FROM wasting time making GaaS games…it that simple.

It's not that simple. You're not elaborating on anything, you're just rude and hostile, as you always are when you feel "your games" are being discussed in a way you don't agree with. Honestly, you come off as a massive twat who defaults to knee jerk reactions.

This isn't about From Software specifically. He is suggesting a concept that would be fun for gamers and profitable for the developer, as a win/win.

Basically, what if Capcom had actually released Deep Down.

Edit: Or better yet, think of Dot Hack GU and how it's core dungeon system is. Now imagine that as an optional multiplayer game that keeps getting content updates over time.

Last edited:

Danjin44

It's not that simple. You're not elaborating on anything, you're just rude and hostile, as you always are when you feel "your games" are being discussed in a way you don't agree with. Honestly, you come off as a massive twat who defaults to knee jerk reactions.
I never liked live service/Gaas game structure, I’m sorry that sound “rude” I just don’t like them and don’t want my favourite developers wasting time making one.

You think it’s ”awesome“ idea but to me it’s terrible idea.

Danjin44

Edit: Or better yet, think of Dot Hack GU and how its core dungeon system is. Now imagine that as an optional multiplayer game that keeps getting content updates over time.
.hack had MMO before and it didn’t do well, the whole point of .hack series it SP JRPG that takes place MMO setting but I personally don’t want actual multiplayer for that game.

.hack had MMO before and it didn’t do well, the whole point of .hack series it SP JRPG
Something that occurred well before it's time, much like the SMT MMO, doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad idea.

It simply released way too early when we didn't have the type of easy interfaces we have today and the franchise wasn't ready.

I think Deep Down could have been a success if Capcom stuck with it like they stuck with Lost Planet 2.

Ge Os

I have played BB for over 1000 hours. I've seen everything the game has to offer, seen the deepest depths of the CD and farmed the best gems ever to be found.
I have around 500+ hours and I only started playing in 2020.
Made something stupid last year out of boredom.

Danjin44

Something that occurred well before it's time, much like the SMT MMO, doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad idea.

It simply released way too early when we didn't have the type of easy interfaces we have today and the franchise wasn't ready.

I think Deep Down could have been a success if Capcom stuck with it like they stuck with Lost Planet 2.
this might good idea in perspective of someone who likes MP but for someone like me who doesn't like ANY MP games at all it just not all that attractive.

what you really telling me is “how would like all your favourite IP turn in to MP and live service game?”…..So my clear answer is absolutely NOT.

Last edited:
this might good idea in perspective of someone who likes MP but for someone like me who doesn't like ANY MP games at all it just not all that attractive.

what you really telling me is “how would like all your favourite IP turn in to MP and live service game?”…..So my clear answer is absolutely NOT.
It can’t be your favorite IP if it’s brand new

think-smart-meme.gif

Bernardougf

qhO6VI4.jpeg

Top Bottom