• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Roblox's pedophile problem

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2024-roblox-pedophile-problem
(.....much more at link, gated content)

Doc claimed to be one of the highest-paid developers on Roblox, boasting about it to his community on the chat app Discord. There, thousands of fans who’d filtered over from Sonic Eclipse got to know him as Jadon Shedletsky, 28, “a Game Developer, Industry Visionary, and a bit braggadocious,” as he wrote in his bio. He was the California-based younger brother of Roblox legend John Shedletsky, the platform’s longtime creative director, or so he said. No one knew what Doc really looked like, but he told anyone who asked that he was buff, with blond hair and teal blue eyes.

When he posted a joke about rape, one fan replied, “10/10.” When he called young girls who helped him develop Sonic Eclipse “sex slaves,” it became a running gag. He quipped about being “the old man with kids in his basement.”

Some were also quick to defend his honor in September 2020, when a Sonic Eclipse player posted screenshots on Twitter of a private chat Doc had had with a preteen:

“You’re 12, I expect you to be a little slow on the upbringing, but soon I’ll corrupt you beyond your wildest dreams.”

“Words cannot explain what I want to do with you.”

“You’re the reason why I’m gonna end up behind bars 😂.”

The person who posted the screenshots was one of a group of gamers who’d grown tired of the homophobic, racist and predatory tirades Doc shared on Discord and had started digging into the person behind them.

Gamers speculated that he’d killed himself. Then, a few months later, a player sent an alert on Discord: “Doc finally got arrested.”

Posted below was an article from a New Jersey news site, with the headline: “FBI: Groomed-For-Sex Indiana Girl, 15, Rescued After Paterson Man Pays Uber To Bring Her To NJ.”

Since 2018, police in the US have arrested at least two dozen people accused of abducting or abusing victims they’d met or groomed using Roblox, according to data compiled by Bloomberg Businessweek. Some were already on sex offender registries or had been accused of abusing minors; there were also a sheriff’s deputy, a third-grade teacher and a nurse. In just the past 13 months there have been seven arrests, including those of a man in Florida accused of trying to kidnap a teen he played with on Roblox; a man charged with abducting an 11-year-old New Jersey girl he met on the platform; and a California man who allegedly abused a kid he, too, had met on Roblox. These predators weren’t just lurking outside the world’s biggest virtual playground. They were hanging from the jungle gym, using Robux to lure kids into sending photographs or developing relationships with them that moved to other online platforms and, eventually, offline.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Frustrated Discovery Channel GIF by Discovery
Working Orange Jumpsuit GIF

reinking

Gold Member
Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2024-roblox-pedophile-problem
(.....much more at link, gated content)

Doc claimed to be one of the highest-paid developers on Roblox, boasting about it to his community on the chat app Discord. There, thousands of fans who’d filtered over from Sonic Eclipse got to know him as Jadon Shedletsky, 28, “a Game Developer, Industry Visionary, and a bit braggadocious,” as he wrote in his bio. He was the California-based younger brother of Roblox legend John Shedletsky, the platform’s longtime creative director, or so he said. No one knew what Doc really looked like, but he told anyone who asked that he was buff, with blond hair and teal blue eyes.

When he posted a joke about rape, one fan replied, “10/10.” When he called young girls who helped him develop Sonic Eclipse “sex slaves,” it became a running gag. He quipped about being “the old man with kids in his basement.”

Some were also quick to defend his honor in September 2020, when a Sonic Eclipse player posted screenshots on Twitter of a private chat Doc had had with a preteen:

The person who posted the screenshots was one of a group of gamers who’d grown tired of the homophobic, racist and predatory tirades Doc shared on Discord and had started digging into the person behind them.

Gamers speculated that he’d killed himself. Then, a few months later, a player sent an alert on Discord: “Doc finally got arrested.”

Posted below was an article from a New Jersey news site, with the headline: “FBI: Groomed-For-Sex Indiana Girl, 15, Rescued After Paterson Man Pays Uber To Bring Her To NJ.”

Since 2018, police in the US have arrested at least two dozen people accused of abducting or abusing victims they’d met or groomed using Roblox, according to data compiled by Bloomberg Businessweek. Some were already on sex offender registries or had been accused of abusing minors; there were also a sheriff’s deputy, a third-grade teacher and a nurse. In just the past 13 months there have been seven arrests, including those of a man in Florida accused of trying to kidnap a teen he played with on Roblox; a man charged with abducting an 11-year-old New Jersey girl he met on the platform; and a California man who allegedly abused a kid he, too, had met on Roblox. These predators weren’t just lurking outside the world’s biggest virtual playground. They were hanging from the jungle gym, using Robux to lure kids into sending photographs or developing relationships with them that moved to other online platforms and, eventually, offline.

Thank you for posting. While I have drilled internet safety into my daughter's head as she was growing up, and now my granddaughters, it is a good read for them to see how these predators operate.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I try to monitor heavily what games my son plays on Roblox. It is a lot of fun, but holy buckets is that thing the Wild West.

Me growing up my parents had to worry I would see a fatality in mortal Kombat. Me I have to worry my son won’t be exposed to an online diddler, racist , etc.

Told my wife we just need to ditch the game or only curate 5 we confirm he can play on it. Only stuff we approve with no form of communication.

lmimmfn

Why even bother politicizing this? This has been a serious issue for a long time and it's worth highlighting to, at the very least, inform parents and kids about the fucked up things happening in Roblox.
Yeah, drag Queens reading to kids is OK now apparently, ffs, it's sick.
This is the extreme left norm, along with encouraging prepubesent kids to transition. It's all sick, call it politicising all you want but it is what it is.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Reminds me of this PSA

I imagine it’s pedo paradise. Kids are given devices and told to “have fun” while pedos sign up to meet them in whatever they’re doing. You’ve got lots of parents giving their kids tablets because it’s the modern day babysitter. My kid can’t play Roblox anymore. I listened to this podcast where this ethical hacker went into a chat room in Florida, pretended to be a 11 year old girl, and in minutes had over 15 chats from adult men asking weird questions.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm not sure there's a better venue to be a pedo in than Roblox. Kids love it, adults don't understand it, and you'd never suspect a thing by merely glancing at the proceedings. Speaking as someone who loves crass humor and creepy-ass jokes, it's scary.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
lol I hate when folks try to target 1 software for this as if pedos care.

The INTERNET has a Pedo Problem.... This is just like when people are like "if TicTok didn't exist" like, the fuck? They would just be doing dumb shit on Vine, make Vine die, they'll do it on Youtube, kill Youtube, they are doing it on that Jackass show, look people who do this shit, do not just do it cause platform existed, the platform existed because people be doing this shit =)

So I feel in situations like this, it doesn't matter if its Roblox cause to that Pedo, it was Minecraft last week and Fortnite before that and Wii Chat before that or something.

Teach about keeping kids safe that game online, singling out Roblox makes it sound like that is a ROBLOX issue vs a real life, can happen to you anywhere issue...

El Muerto

Gold Member
Parents need to teach their kids about predators. I was taught about it when i was a kid. I remember after school specials about it too. I've seen parents let their kids play Roblox for years with no issues. But some parents don't monitor their kids or educate them on the dangers of being online. They just put their kids in front of a screen so they dont have to babysit.

Who wants to talk to kids? They’re all annoying and stupid. I can’t even stand the Rec Room lobby area. I jump into a game asap.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
lol I hate when folks try to target 1 software for this as if pedos care.

The INTERNET has a Pedo Problem.... This is just like when people are like "if TicTok didn't exist" like, the fuck? They would just be doing dumb shit on Vine, make Vine die, they'll do it on Youtube, kill Youtube, they are doing it on that Jackass show, look people who do this shit, do not just do it cause platform existed, the platform existed because people be doing this shit =)

So I feel in situations like this, it doesn't matter if its Roblox cause to that Pedo, it was Minecraft last week and Fortnite before that and Wii Chat before that or something.

Teach about keeping kids safe that game online, singling out Roblox makes it sound like that is a ROBLOX issue vs a real life, can happen to you anywhere issue...
You're right. It's everywhere. But "everywhere" is nebulous.

"how do you keep pedophiles away from kids on the internet?"
"I don't know it's the internet. Where do you start?"

Singling out Roblox puts pressure on it's owners to do a better job of policing their platform. Right now they're doing a below subpar job of it.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
You're right. It's everywhere. But "everywhere" is nebulous.

"how do you keep pedophiles away from kids on the internet?"
"I don't know it's the internet. Where do you start?"

Signaling out Roblox puts pressure on it's owners to do a better job of policing their platform. Right now they're doing a below subpar job of it.

Look, I'm not saying no that idea, its a good place to start, simply a more broad conversation must be had about the subject.

Its dangerous enough that I feel a conversation must be had about safety across all online channels should be taught to kids by parents.

player posted screenshots on Twitter of a private chat Doc had had with a preteen:

“You’re 12, I expect you to be a little slow on the upbringing, but soon I’ll corrupt you beyond your wildest dreams.”

“Words cannot explain what I want to do with you.”

“You’re the reason why I’m gonna end up behind bars 😂.”

images-13.jpg

Loomy

Look, I'm not saying no that idea, its a good place to start, simply a more broad conversation must be had about the subject.

Its dangerous enough that I feel a conversation must be had about safety across all online channels should be taught to kids by parents.
You're absolutely right. In meantime, let's try and keep as many pedophiles as possible off Roblox

PeteBull

Gold Member
Kids love roblox, so ofc pedos will be drawned to that game too, those degenerates get arroused by kids same way normal hetero guys are aroused by women, and we go to clubs for just one purpose despite it being big pita, in comparision playing roblox is super effortless and u can meet tons of minors there.

Why even bother politicizing this?
Nah man, stop politicizing this.

>A problem with the body politic? And it happens to align with the values of one of the representative parties? Heh, well, ackshually that's all in your mind and you're just politicizing it. Stop politicizing sexuality. And before you ask, no, using public education resources to teach your 8 year old about homosexuality, trans people, or pride month isn't politicizing sexuality. Checkmate, chuds.

It's insane how much people who have hyper edgy humor are essentially just joking about fetishes or perversions that they have.

That's why when James Gunn received all the flak for his CP jokes...I'm like...one joke is joke, if you're using that same joke over and over, your computer should probably be flagged for search.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
My daughter plays Roblox and we have always taught her to be savvy about this kind of things (maybe we tell her too much but I don't care, online safety is too important now) so she has pretty good radar for it and yeah they're there.

It's not generally someone dumb enough to be overtly sexual, it's just an obvious adult being overly complimentary ("You're so cool") and hanging out with obviously very young players, nothing you could actively report but you just know.

One time, when she was 7, she alerted us to one of these guys and my wife hopped on, and she was like "This is my mommy" and the guy thought it was a roleplay and started talking to her like a kid and she goes "No, I'm her actual mom" and from that alone he goes "I swear I wasn't trying to fuck your kid," like no one even accused him of anything, but it was obvious. Makes your blood run cold.

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

>A problem with the body politic? And it happens to align with the values of one of the representative parties? Heh, well, ackshually that's all in your mind and you're just politicizing it. Stop politicizing sexuality. And before you ask, no, using public education resources to teach your 8 year old about homosexuality, trans people, or pride month isn't politicizing sexuality. Checkmate, chuds.

News Facebook GIF by INTO ACTION

Acidjuice

It's insane how much people who have hyper edgy humor are essentially just joking about fetishes or perversions that they have.

That's why when James Gunn received all the flak for his CP jokes...I'm like...one joke is joke, if you're using that same joke over and over, your computer should probably be flagged for search.
The crossover between i joke about this edgy thing constantly, and i actually do this edgy thing in real life is fucking STAGGERING.
but plausible deniability is a bitch

This is the extreme left norm, along with encouraging prepubesent kids to transition. It's all sick, call it politicising all you want but it is what it is.
Its ok when drag queens touch kids. Lgbbq people are oppressed and they have every right to touch kids. You are bigot if you disagree with their right.

My daughter went to some summer camp at the insistence of my ex wife these past couple of months. This last week they were "coding games" (playing Roblox). I was shocked when she told me they let her class online with instructions simply to "not talk to anyone". Yeah, not good enough for me thx. This is part of the reason I have no interest in sending her off to these "camps" (glorified day care).

Last edited:

Loomy

To be clear. The issue that we're asking you not to politicize is this:
"Since 2018, police in the US have arrested at least two dozen people accused of abducting or abusing victims they’d met or groomed using Roblox, according to data compiled by Bloomberg Businessweek. Some were already on sex offender registries or had been accused of abusing minors; there were also a sheriff’s deputy, a third-grade teacher and a nurse. In just the past 13 months there have been seven arrests, including those of a man in Florida accused of trying to kidnap a teen he played with on Roblox; a man charged with abducting an 11-year-old New Jersey girl he met on the platform; and a California man who allegedly abused a kid he, too, had met on Roblox."

I would imagine that no matter what your political leanings, we can all agree that this is a massive fucking problem. Politicizing an issue that is inherently not political just muddies the actual productive discussions that should be happening around the topic.

Grow up. Stop projecting whatever issues YOU have. Funny you bring up Drag Queens yet most of the people listed who were caught were people with everyday jobs and heterosexual. Just because someone is subjected to something. Doesn’t mean there’s a direct influence. If that was the case we’d all be mass murderers from playing video games. Go touch grass.

Top Bottom