• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blurry pics of Microsoft's media player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aYqZI5U2Snnc

Microsoft Plans to Release IPod Rival for Christmas

July 5 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp. is planning to have a portable music and video player out by Christmas in a challenge to Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod.

The digital player will have a wireless Internet connection, enabling users to download music without being linked to a computer, a feature the iPod doesn't offer, according to people briefed on Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft's plans.

Microsoft, the world's largest software maker, is seeking to take share from Apple's iPod, which commands 77 percent of the $4 billion U.S. market for digital music players, based on figures from market researcher NPD Group Inc. Apple's iTunes music store is used for 72 percent of music downloads. Microsoft has spent the past six years relying on partners to make players that use its software.

``None of Microsoft's partners are doing the job that needs to be done,'' said Michael Gartenberg, an analyst with Jupiter Research in New York. ``Apple has set it up so Apple music flows only to Apple devices. It locks Microsoft out and gives Apple more of a hold.''

Microsoft hired music industry executive Chris Stephenson, who is among Microsoft officials who have met with music and Hollywood companies to seek licenses for their content, according to industry officials with knowledge of the plans. J Allard, 37, a Microsoft Xbox vice president, is overseeing the development of the device, the people said.

Microsoft met with music companies including EMI Group Plc and Universal Music Group, and TV broadcasters NBC, Fox and CBS Corp. to gain content for a music and video store to compete with Apple's iTunes, according to people familiar with the meetings. Sally Julien, a spokeswoman for Microsoft, declined to comment, as did representatives of the music companies and TV networks.

Challenge

Microsoft's device will be able to connect to the Internet and other devices using the wireless fidelity, or Wi-Fi, standard, which iTunes doesn't have, the people said.

Microsoft is also promising the screen will have a better quality picture than the iPod, according to the people, who saw the slideshow Microsoft is using to promote the device.

The music and TV companies are interested in working with Microsoft in order to blunt Apple's power in the market, according to people close to the media companies.

Since Apple Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs introduced the iPod in October 2001, the company has sold more than 50.8 million players. Apple also is talking with Hollywood studios to add movies to the music, television shows and podcasts already offered on iTunes, Variety magazine reported on June 19.

Microsoft shares fell 28 cents to $23.42 at 2:29 p.m. in Nasdaq Stock Market composite trading. They have lost 9.4 percent this year through yesterday. Shares of Apple dropped 97 cents to $56.98 and are down 19 percent.

Bach Influence

Microsoft's device is being developed under the supervision of Robbie Bach, who leads the unit that produces the Xbox video- game console. Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer last year tapped Bach to take on the added role of overseeing Microsoft's music strategy. With the Xbox, Bach, 44, had overseen the most significant of Microsoft's few forays into building its own hardware.

``This would not be the first time Microsoft has decided it needed to take control of its own destiny with regard to hardware,'' Gartenberg said. ``Not coincidentally, the last time they did that it was in video games and the guys doing it were named Robbie Bach and J Allard.''

Stephenson has been senior vice president of sales and marketing at House of Blues Entertainment Inc., a concert promoter and manager of music and restaurant venues.

Urge

Microsoft's MSN Music store has 3 percent of the market for music downloads. The company has a partnership with Viacom Inc.'s MTV on a music service called Urge and any new subscription service Microsoft builds for its new device would compete with Urge. Microsoft also promotes RealNetworks Inc.'s Rhapsody service as part of an antitrust lawsuit settlement.

In a February interview, Ballmer said Microsoft is ``committed to doing what it takes to succeed'' against Apple.

Microsoft has relied on partners including Milpitas, California-based Sandisk Corp., Creative Technology Ltd., Toshiba Corp., Dell Inc. and Sonicblue Inc.'s Rio unit to sell hardware with Microsoft software.

Sandisk is the closest competitor to Apple's iPod, with a market share of less than 10 percent, Port Washington, New York- based NPD said.

Supposed pics of the device(they're blurry)
http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/04/cringingly-blurry-pics-reveal-microsofts-ipod-killer/

microsoft-ipod-01.jpg

microsoft-ipod-03.jpg

microsoft-ipod-06.jpg

B'z-chan

Banned
Hopefully its good but why announce something if its not coming out for months? Havent they learned suprise launches like the revamps of Ipods is good for buisness. Make us wait months and we'll most likely get an IPOD instead.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Agent Icebeezy said:

You have to wonder what Apple is coming up with next- I doubt they will be passed by. Vista is coming out next year and Leopard when it is shown next month it will probably already have its best features (that the Mac OS does not already have naturally).

I don't trust J Allard that much- he is a salesman first and foremost. He only wants Wi-Fi so people can spend money that way buying music (obviously) but God knows what else for it.

GhaleonEB

B'z-chan said:
Hopefully its good but why announce something if its not coming out for months? Havent they learned suprise launches like the revamps of Ipods is good for buisness. Make us wait months and we'll most likely get an IPOD instead.
They're not announcing it, this is all based on speculation and "insider" information. Microsoft has not commented on the "media player" at all.

sharukins

Banned
Microsoft will let people download all the music they have on iTunes for free after scanning your iTunes.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/06/microsoft-planning-wifi-enabled-portable-media-player-working-o/

To attract current iPod users Microsoft is going to let you download for free any songs you've already bought from the iTunes Music Store. They'll actually scan iTunes for purchased tracks and then automatically add those to your account. Microsoft will still have to pay the rights-holders for the songs, but they believe it'll be worth it to acquire converts to their new player.

maynerd

Banned
sharukins said:
Microsoft will let people download all the music they have on iTunes for free after scanning your iTunes.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/06/microsoft-planning-wifi-enabled-portable-media-player-working-o/

To attract current iPod users Microsoft is going to let you download for free any songs you've already bought from the iTunes Music Store. They'll actually scan iTunes for purchased tracks and then automatically add those to your account. Microsoft will still have to pay the rights-holders for the songs, but they believe it'll be worth it to acquire converts to their new player.

MS is KERAZY!

GhaleonEB

sharukins said:

That's actually a pretty clever work-around to the iTunes DRM.

sharukins said:

If they are kind enough to do that for me, I'll be kind enough to buy their new handheld. Go MS. :)

Snaku

Banned
sharukins said:

ituneslogovp2907041hq.jpg
=
cenakidowned0xl.gif

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
at this point MS looks to have the best chance of seriously nibbling into Apple's lead, so long as the player in question offers a solid battery life, good UI/navigation and easy software synchronizing i'm there.

m0dus

Banned
Hmm. pics of that mockup have a nice big screen. Good for widescreen viewing and such.

As far as DRM goes, I don't give a ****. I'll happily pay for content if it's content worth having. My only desire is that I am able to use the music in my current library--most of which was ripped from my own CDs anyway.

LuCkymoON

Banned
sharukins said:

Is there any more info on this? Like what formats does it support? .h264, .ape, etc...?
I hope this also make the ipods cheaper. At the moment its not worth the price they ask for it.

jobber said:
I'm not sure if you guys have seen the NEW Toshiba Gigabeat players but I'm betting MS player will be just like it with a different design.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2006/06/toshiba-gigabeat-s30-s60-review.php#more

It uses the Media Center software interface. Microsoft is going to do all the firmware updates also. The only downside to it is that you have to convert all your video :\

wow that site kicks ass thanks!

hadareud

The Translator
so is this also the supposed xbox handheld?

If it is an mp3 player you can play arcade like games with I am interested.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Looks a bit like a Pocket PC as far as screen ratio and navigation button. Screen like that doesn't seem ideal for video (it's not widescreen). Very good idea about having free Itunes music, but there needs to be some other good reason for people to convert before that will work.

I will consider it if it has a capacity of 80GB or more.

Not likely. But if it does, I am interested.

What most pundits miss is that mp3 players are 99% the same. They play mp3s. That's what mine does. I want it to hold more, not be bigger, and not have a shorter battery life. I'll pay a premium for all of that.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Personally, I don't want MS scanning anything on my computer. What are they going to do when their software detects files that weren't purchased from iTunes or ripped from CDs?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i hope it has winCE available to use and that screen is a touch screen

and... wi-fi MCE support :)

hadareud

The Translator
Marconelly said:
Looks a bit like a Pocket PC as far as screen ratio and navigation button. Screen like that doesn't seem ideal for video (it's not widescreen). Very good idea about having free Itunes music, but there needs to be some other good reason for people to convert before that will work.
I dunno, it looks like it could be widescreen if you turn it sideways. Not that I can tell much from that pictures.

The price has to be right though, no more than 100 quid please.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I'm confused, does this mean MS has ditched their strategy of providing the software for current manufacturers instead of challenging the iPod head on? How will this change their relationship with companies like Creative, etc. that use the Microsoft software? I mean, they're already tied in with the DRM, right? Are they going to use Napster as their music service provider as well? I'm so confused.

Wow! People cheering for MS to overtake Apple's market dominance! :lol

While this is interesting, it's also a lot of speculation at this point. I do want to see the player, and what it can do, especially when connected to an X360. Obviously it'll work like an iPod when plugged into the 360, but will it allow streaming of video as well? That would be cool.

Oh, and for anyone asking about what formats for video it will handle, think about it. It's MS. It'll play Windows Media files and that's it. Count on it.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Ignatz Mouse said:
I will consider it if it has a capacity of 80GB or more.

Not likely. But if it does, I am interested.

What most pundits miss is that mp3 players are 99% the same. They play mp3s. That's what mine does. I want it to hold more, not be bigger, and not have a shorter battery life. I'll pay a premium for all of that.

When my Archos worked, I loved the hell out of it, when it worked. Paid 600 for that damn thing, the 80GB version.

maynerd

Banned
Wellington said:
Personally, I don't want MS scanning anything on my computer. What are they going to do when their software detects files that weren't purchased from iTunes or ripped from CDs?

PIRATE! :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Bluetooth is too slow I think? WiFi is the only good solution for file transfer and streaming.

hadareud said:
The price has to be right though, no more than 100 quid please.
That's probably going to depend on storage medium.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Oh, and for anyone asking about what formats for video it will handle, think about it. It's MS. It'll play Windows Media files and that's it. Count on it.

uhh, despite what you may think, Microsoft isn't run by retarded monkeys. They say what happened to Sony trying to push ATRAC on the masses ... and realized that it wouldn't work. I'd bet plenty o' money on the fact that it will play all the "default" standards (MP3, MPEG-2, MPEG-4) as well as the "Microsoft" ones. What it won't support is competitor's stuff like Quicktime or open, non-widespread standards like OGG or FLAC. If they do something else, they'll fail, and they know it.

(I know you don't think MS is run by retarded monkeys, but it makes for a funny mental image. Like that commercial).

Wellington said:
I doubt they'll do anything. Word would come out very quickly and its potential as a serious rival would cease to exist. MS won't do anything that will threaten its popularity, at least in this first release.

hadareud

The Translator
Marconelly said:
That's probably going to depend on storage medium.

Of course, but MS may decide to sell at a loss with their first generation player - they did it before.

60GB hdd for 100 or so pounds, that would be very interesting. Sound quality is a big one for me as well, no MP3 player has impressed me so far. That's probably more to do with the file format though, so I'm not holding my breath.

Nerevar said:
uhh, despite what you may think, Microsoft isn't run by retarded monkeys. They say what happened to Sony trying to push ATRAC on the masses ... and realized that it wouldn't work. I'd bet plenty o' money on the fact that it will play all the "default" standards (MP3, MPEG-2, MPEG-4) as well as the "Microsoft" ones. What it won't support is competitor's stuff like Quicktime or open, non-widespread standards like OGG or FLAC. If they do something else, they'll fail, and they know it.

(I know you don't think MS is run by retarded monkeys, but it makes for a funny mental image. Like that commercial).

:lol :lol :lol

I hope you're right. I'd love to see it play multiple formats, but looking at Microsofts track record, I'd still bet on Window Media files because of DRM and it allows them to push their own format. Still, I'll remain optimistic until the specs are announced at least. :D Hey MS, throw DIVX in while you're at it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Wellington said:

How different would that be from iTunes doing it now?

VALIS

Hmm. Wifi plus a larger screen than my iPod video is tempting. If it has some good as-yet-unmentioned features like a web browser, e-book/txt/pdf reader and a nice screen, I'll want one. Not sayin' I'll buy one right away, but I'll want one.

The PSP comes close to being this uber-device, if it only had a hard drive. Memory cards suck moose nuts.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I hope it uses the sexy WMA format, that way it will be almost as rad as any music player sony makes.

mrmyth

sharukins said:

Must be nice being ****ing made of money.

My greatest hope for this thing to succeed is Bill Gates no longer running MS. He's the worst of old greedy crush/kill/destroy Microsoft. They might have some sense without him at the helm.

mollipen

Nerevar said:

You mean how the Xbox 360 supports things like MPEG2 and MPEG4? Oh wait...

It'll support WMA and WMV, and then MP3 because MS is forced to support MP3.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Kung Fu Jedi said:
:lol :lol :lol

I hope you're right. I'd love to see it play multiple formats, but looking at Microsofts track record, I'd still bet on Window Media files because of DRM and it allows them to push their own format. Still, I'll remain optimistic until the specs are announced at least. :D Hey MS, throw DIVX in while you're at it.
you're right - because Windows Media Player versions 8-11(beta) have come standard without any mp3 playback or ripping capabilities...

mrmyth said:
Must be nice being ****ing made of money.

My greatest hope for this thing to succeed is Bill Gates no longer running MS. He's the worst of old greedy crush/kill/destroy Microsoft. They might have some sense without him at the helm.

Yeah, he's so damn greedy he's given billions to provide health care and medicine for kids in Africa. That greedy bastard!

scorcho said:
you're right - because Windows Media Player versions 8-11(beta) have come standard without any mp3 playback or ripping capabilities...

I didn't say it wouldn't support MP3. They pretty much have to support that. See the post above your own. And, last time I checked, MP3 wasn't a video format.

hadareud

The Translator
shidoshi said:
You mean how the Xbox 360 supports things like MPEG2 and MPEG4? Oh wait...

It'll support WMA and WMV, and then MP3 because MS is forced to support MP3.
Give it another 6 months and the 360 will support other formats. I even remember reading an interview where some of their tech guys said they were looking into it. As long as enough people bitch about it they will do it.

Or was it a video interview? Can't remember.

hadareud said:
Give it another 6 months and the 360 will support other formats. I even remember reading an interview where some of their tech guys said they were looking into it. As long as enough people bitch about it they will do it.

Or was it a video interview? Can't remember.

Was the video interview in WMV? :D J/K!

While I'd love to see it support other formats, I'll believe it when I see it. Of course, you do still need to have WMCE or Vista to stream video, so we'll see.

mrmyth

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, he's so damn greedy he's given billions to provide health care and medicine for kids in Africa. That greedy bastard!

Not Bill as a person. The Microsoft he ran was/is the one that tries to kill other companies rather than compete. I love the man for his charity. I'm also damn glad he's quitting to do more of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom