• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Book: John Paul II used belt to whip himself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Book: John Paul II used belt to whip himself

VATICAN CITY - Pope John Paul II whipped himself with a belt, even on vacation, and slept on the floor as acts of penitence and to bring him closer to Christian perfection, according to a new book by the Polish prelate spearheading his sainthood case. The book "Why He's a Saint" also includes previously unpublished speeches and documents written by John Paul, including one 1989 signed memo in which he said he would resign if he became incapacitated.

At a news conference Tuesday, Oder defended John Paul's practice of self-mortification, which some faithful use to remind them of the suffering of Jesus on the cross.

"It's an instrument of Christian perfection," Oder said, responding to questions about how such a practice could be condoned considering Catholic teaching holds that the human body is a gift from God.

In the book, Oder wrote that John Paul frequently denied himself food — especially during the holy season of Lent — and "frequently spent the night on the bare floor," messing up his bed in the morning so he wouldn't draw attention to his act of penitence.

"But it wasn't limited to this. As some members of his close entourage in Poland and in the Vatican were able to hear with their own ears, John Paul flagellated himself. In his armoire, amid all the vestments and hanging on a hanger, was a belt which he used as a whip and which he always brought to Castel Gandolfo," the papal retreat where John Paul vacationed each summer.

While there had long been rumors that John Paul practiced self-mortification, the book provides the first confirmation and concludes John Paul did so as an example of his faith.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
This is absolute truth. In no way would somebody ever write something inflammatory about a dead personality in order to sell books.

That weirdo Pope guy.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Wow. Add this to the list of things (speaking tongues, having visions) that, if done by a non-religious person, would land them in a psychiatric institution to seek treatment, but when done in the name of religion are perfectly logical and admirable.

xnwzd4.gif

xelios said:
Wow. Yet another example of something that, if done by a non-religious person, would land them in a psychiatric institution to seek treatment (along with speaking tongues, having visions etc.), but when done in the name of religion is perfectly logical and admirable.

xnwzd4.gif

this point has never been made before about religion, how new and interesting

bachikarn

xelios said:
Wow. Yet another example of something that, if done by a non-religious person, would land them in a psychiatric institution to seek treatment (along with speaking tongues, having visions etc.), but when done in the name of religion is perfectly logical and admirable.

xnwzd4.gif

I'm not sure if whipping yourself would send you to a mental institution. Nice try though.

xelios

bachikarn said:
I'm not sure if whipping yourself would send you to a mental institution. Nice try though.

I'm pretty sure anywhere civilized, people are recommended to seek treatment for self-mutilation and other forms of self abuse. Nice try though.

WanderingWind

Also, most Christian churches don't do the speak in tongues or having visions things anymore.

I've only ever been to one that did, and it was full of freaks.

Hari Seldon

Self mortification is kind of frowned on these days by most western bishops. But it still goes on with the hardcore especially in latin america. With the shit the JPII has seen in his life by being in Poland during WWII I don't blame him for being pretty hardcore about it.

But the other things about sleeping on the ground and fasting for lent, that is definitely a bonus to get him into sainthood.

Ironborn

Banned
uh uh no way said:
if this point has been made so often, surely you have some arguments to counter this common and so very silly claim? :lol

WanderingWind

Ironborn said:
if this point has been made so often, surely you have some arguments to counter this common and so very silly claim? :lol

You may want to actually read the thread before you're banned.

Ironborn said:
if this point has been made so often, surely you have some arguments to counter this claim? :lol

it's not that I disagree or that I'm religious. For some reason, I just feel like stating these things is pointing out the obvious nowadays and is more of a "look how astute and forward-thinking I am, internet!" comment. (although with this particular claim, I doubt whipping yourself every so often or even speaking in tongues would get you admitted. Unless you're a teen and your parents do it.)

xelios

uh uh no way said:
(although with this particular claim, I doubt whipping yourself every so often or even speaking in tongues would get you admitted. Unless you're a teen and your parents do it.)

Though it'd certainly not be seen as a virtue outside of religion.

SUPREME1

Banned
xelios said:
Though it'd certainly not be seen as a virtue outside of religion.

So what? Why does that bother you so?

It's done within the context of religion as a sacrifice of sorts... It's seen as a virtue within the context of religion... so again, why does that bother you so? Why the fixation?

Remember how Mother Theresa would make people suffer to not giving them proper medication and tying disabled people to trees because it got them closer to their deity?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
highroller said:
Yep, was actually wondering if the book referenced by the OP was written by Dan Brown

Brown didn't invent Opus Dei

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
uh uh no way said:

Note: Before sticking your head up above the others here, make sure you were not previously permabanned, right MamesJ?

Ironborn

Banned
uh uh no way said:
it's not that I disagree or that I'm religious. For some reason, I just feel like stating these things is pointing out the obvious nowadays and is more of a "look how astute and forward-thinking I am, internet!" comment. (although with this particular claim, I doubt whipping yourself every so often or even speaking in tongues would get you admitted. Unless you're a teen and your parents do it.)
yeah, if you put it that way, i guess it kinda is like beating a dead horse

WanderingWind said:
You may want to actually read the thread before you're banned.
i read the OP, but that doesn't mean i have to make a reference to it in my post.
with that said, i am kinda surprised, because john paul II wasn't nearly as backwards as some of his comrades...

edit:
Vennt said:
Note: Before sticking your head up above the others here, make sure you were not previously permabanned, right MamesJ?

what a tweest! :lol

WanderingWind

Vennt said:

As a general rule, I don't quote mods. But this was funny.

xelios

ImperialConquest said:
So what? Why does that bother you so?

It's done within the context of religion as a sacrifice of sorts... It's seen as a virtue within the context of religion... so again, why does that bother you so? Why the fixation?

The idea of things which are considered unacceptable in secular society becoming justified in the context of religion, because they're done to garner favor from God, is unsettling to me. I keep up with current events and have some knowledge of history, so I know what people do to themselves and others to earn God's love. Not just beating themselves, but blowing themselves up, mutilating themselves, real sacrifices--not just ones of sorts--among other things.

Things that in secular society are considered disturbing, and even in religious society considered disturbing in other cultures even though they're done for the same reasons (Africa for instance). Admittedly most of the time much worse than a pope beating the crap out of himself, but with the Catholic Church having one billion followers I find it disturbing for anyone to suggest something like this puts you closer to God.

No one said you have to agree with my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom