• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands star Jamie Lee Curtis apologizes to Kevin Feige for trashing the MCU at SDCC

ManaByte

Gold Member
So at SDCC the star of the upcoming bomb Borderlands had this to say about Marvel:

And now today:

Kevin Feige probably told her he's seen borderlands and reminded her about glass houses (and how Deadpool & Wolverine will probably still steamroll her movie)

HAYA8U5A

Having to apologize for a one word joke (That wasn't wrong at that) sure is something.
Duck Dynasty GIF by DefyTV

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

She reached out to Kevin Feige to apologise? WTF. I doubt he even knew what she said let alone gave a shit. Am I in a dimension where he is a messiah or something? I doubt her burn would affect her career, unless she wants a Marvel role.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I can't tell if that apology is part of the joke.

It's not like Marvel/Disney themselves aren't saying they gotta course correct a bit (for whatever reason) so just "bad" isn't really a shit take.

Maybe she wants to be Dr. Dooms mom?

Eiknarf

Banned
"iT's 2024, I hAve tO apoLoGize OR do bEtt3r"

After you say something, just move on! Leave it there! Leave it alone!

Like Johnny Lawrence says to Daniel San in the original Karate Kid before BEATING THE SHIT OUT OF HIM, "You couldn't leave well enough alone, could ya, little twerp?"

ZehDon

Reads like a nicely worded PR message from her team. Either she's contractually obligated due to anti-disparagement clauses, or she wants some of those Disney bucks.

FeralEcho

This is pathetic...."I will do better" is not something you say for a fucking joke.One aimed at a multibillion dollar company at that.

God,these people have no spine whatsoever! Worthless people who can't stand by anything they say.

Maybe be better by standing by what you say next time and not pussy out like a little bitch.

You know what's tragic and what pisses me off?! These are the people that are role models...This is what the newer generations learn from these people.

"Don't stand by anything you say if it offends anyone at all."

admins GIF

winjer

Gold Member
That was actually funny. And it has some truth to it.
There is no reason for her to apologize, for such a simple joke.

thefool

It's insane she has to apologize for nothing. But this is what happens when you live in an authoritarian freakshow, dissidence is not allowed.

Last edited:

Lambogenie

Even if you want a Marvel role, do they even pay much if you're not already RDJ or someone above that outside of Marvel?

After you're in Marvel, your chance of success after isn't even high either! So my point is, fuck it if you don't get a job with Marvel. You may end up better of anyway!

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I can understand why she's apologising for what seems a pretty mild comment.

I think she had a bit of a wilderness period where she didn't really appear in anything particularly high profile. I actually assumed that she had chosen to retire, but now she's got a bit of momentum again, she'd be foolish to risk upsetting someone powerful, it has serious career derailing potential.

Look at Megan Fox. Upset some powerful people and went from lead actor in blockbusters - at the time a bigger star than JLC is now, to being known as someone who used to be in films and is now someone's girlfriend.

I think people assuming someone can burn bridges with one part of the Hollywood establishment probably aren't considering that it's all interlinked and is a relatively small industry where everyone knows each other.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
She didn’t trash the Marvel virus enough, as far as I’m concerned - and she had to apologise?

Oh, Hollywood. What did they do to you? From Orson Welles and Paul Newman to men in tights and capes. Just destroy this industry already.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm sure she was considered for the role of Wasps mom that went to Michelle Pffifer. Casting a "known" older actor for these types of support roles is the marvel way, plus she has a ton of footage when she was young for deaging cgi artists to use for the inevitable flashbacks.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Wow we clearly needed another MCU thread for this very important news.......

Also the MCU has been shit since Endgame (included).

Neon Xenon

What Jamie Lee Curtis said about the MCU is very tame compared to some of the criticism of the MCU you could find online. All it takes is just a few steps to find people being MUCH harsher towards Marvel's overall film output (Deadpool & Wolverine being a recent exception) than just saying the word "Bad" when asked what phase it's in. Maybe it's unexpectedly honest in terms of what an actor/actress is expected to say about a movie, but, is she wrong?

Her apology to do with Marvel or wanting to get a Marvel role. It was Disney. She got in trouble with Disney because she's filming Freaky Friday 2 for Disney right now.

untitled-design-2024-06-25t145522-490.jpeg
This seems more likely.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Her apology had nothing to do with Marvel or wanting to get a Marvel role. It was Disney. She got in trouble with Disney because she's filming Freaky Friday 2 for Disney right now.

If this film doesn't have the Lohan character complaining for AT LEAST 20 minutes about how everything hurts when in the Curtis body...I'm walking out :p

I feel like the recent Jumanji films really took this concept to all the extremes but I do like the FF concept. Especially the OG :p

cEvu7D5.jpeg

Pigenator

Is Feige a new force of nature in Hollywood that everyone needs to bend a knee to?
Sounds like her agents told her to whip an apology asap lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
Is Feige a new force of nature in Hollywood that everyone needs to bend a knee to?
Sounds like her agents told her to whip an apology asap lol

I don't think she knew Disney owned Marvel and she's filming a Disney movie right now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
JLC head always looked like a dude. Great milfy body in True Lies. But major butter face and hair so short I think I had longer hair than her as a kid.

The funny thing is there was a video or article years back where she bragged she was so great looking and such a great actress. No joke.

Fbh

Well to be fair no one who is in the Borderlands movie should have any right to criticize other shitty movies/franchises.

daffyduck

Her apology had nothing to do with Marvel or wanting to get a Marvel role. It was Disney. She got in trouble with Disney because she's filming Freaky Friday 2 for Disney right now.

But if anything, wouldn’t the joke have worked even better, in that case? Someone at Disney is easily offended.

You don't shit on the movie studio you're making a movie with. Shia LaBeouf learned that the hard way and nuked his entire career.
True. At the same time, rather than "I will do better" being said by an adult like they were a child who misbehaved, I think she should have just said that she liked the new Deadpool and was looking forward to Avengers. The way she handled things just makes everyone look bad, although I'm guessing she only did what she was asked to do.

Soodanim

That one on the right looks vaguely like Lindsay Lohan but after years of drugs and getting plastic surgery in an attempt to fix herself.

:messenger_anxious:

I just realised that this apology is probably doing more for Borderlands publicity than anything about the film itself ever did or will. I'm here posting on NeoGAF and I wasn't aware that the Borderlands movie existed - if I ever knew then it was pushed out of my mind for something more interesting like the time I counted my feet.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Lol. Fucking pathetic.

She's acting like she's been called out for bigotry.

She made a harmless joke about the MCU. Disney and Kevin Feige have serious problems if they can't handle light criticism.

Ownage

The only times ppl will apologize is if they're forced to by the bosses (studios), strongly recommended to by their agents because the studios privately demanded capitulation, or if they ultimately want to participate in that program (payday).

Kevin is much too high profile to feel impacted by anything most people would say, including JLC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom