• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Botanicula |OT| A Game by Jaromír Plachý and Amanita Design

HoosTrax

Minor quibble, but I wish the developers had include English translations of the Czech achievement names. Like one of the earliest ones you can get is called "Brambora", which apparently means feathered potato or something.

This is definitely a game that must be played with the sound on, the music and silly gibberish moonspeak makes the game so much more charming.

Btw, has anyone been able to find this creature? ("Mura" means "moth" in Czech)

murar.png

The only one I haven't found so far.

randomkid

I only paid three bucks for the bundle since I just wanted to try this game out, but I've been enjoying the art and music and voices so much that I want to pay more for this game now.

Anyone have any info on the artbook GOG is offering for the preorders? I want to put some money somewhere for it, is it impossible for me to get?

Finished this last night. Lovely stuff, not quite as good as machinarium for me, and a felt that a lot of the stuff was designed to be played on a touchscreen primarily.

The music is brilliant, reminds me of Sigur Ros.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Solid game, but the gameplay wasn't exactly up to Mach level. The style and the music are awesome, but IDK how to describe the gameplay but it seemed a little "simple."

Maybe it's just that it felt like a touch screen game on a traditional desktop/laptop like the previous poster said. I'll admit about 5-10 mins in I thought to myself hmmm seems like this would be a really good game for an iPad, and I don't even own one. Mach definitely had the feel of leanings towards a more traditional old school point and click..

Still a solid game though!

epmode

Machinarium was always a lot better than Samorost. With Samorost 3 on its way, I was hoping that this would do more to differentiate itself. Oh well, it's worth it just for the art/sound.

Crub

Did enjoy this very much. Perfect for a person like me who suck at point & click games. Probably first game in this genre I have been able to beat completely without the help of guides.

Definetely on par with Machinarium for me.

Anyone have any info on the artbook GOG is offering for the preorders? I want to put some money somewhere for it, is it impossible for me to get?

You can only get it from GOG if you bought the game before the 20th. It's nothing special anyway; half of it contains in-game screenshots. It looks like something someone at Amanita threw together in 15 minutes just to keep the GOG people happy.

I completed this just a bit ago and got all 123 cards but I didn't get this "Mythology" achievement. From what I've read elsewhere it's bugged right now? Has anyone gotten it?

nny

Minor quibble, but I wish the developers had include English translations of the Czech achievement names. Like one of the earliest ones you can get is called "Brambora", which apparently means feathered potato or something.

This is definitely a game that must be played with the sound on, the music and silly gibberish moonspeak makes the game so much more charming.

Btw, has anyone been able to find this creature? ("Mura" means "moth" in Czech)

murar.png

The only one I haven't found so far.

That's the most recent I got, so I think I remember the steps I took:

In the part where you need to collect several big-legged animals (to power a machine), in the screen with many rooms you can go to, in the bottom of the screen there's a small room filled with junk (a ball, a camera, a piano, a spring, an umbrella,, a clock, etc.). Click around until there are some balloons in the room, then drag them down close to spring and click the spring to pop the balloons...the Mura will come out.

daviyoung

Banned
It's all right. It's charming and funny and sweet but boring. I can't play more than 20 minutes at a time because it seems to blow its puzzle load after the first level and everything else is just more of the same.

Amanita should start thinking about branching out into more meatier projects, because these dull click fests are grating.

I completed this just a bit ago and got all 123 cards but I didn't get this "Mythology" achievement. From what I've read elsewhere it's bugged right now? Has anyone gotten it?

Is there any difference between the gold and grey cards? Is it whether they give you steam achievements or is it something important?

Is there any difference between the gold and grey cards? Is it whether they give you steam achievements or is it something important?

They all count towards the 123/123, which I'm almost positive is the Mythology achievement. I honestly didn't keep track of which ones gave achievements but the times I thought to look when an achievement popped up it seemed like it was always a gold card.

HoosTrax

Same here -- I got 123/123 (thanks to nny for explaining how to find Mura) at the end of the game, along with the three little cut scenes. But no unlock for Mythology.

Nert

I tend to be completely terrible at figuring out adventure games, so Botanicula's relative simplicity is very welcome. I guess I could understand this game feeling a little dull or trite for genre veterans.

The only other recent game that made me smile as much while playing it was Rayman Origins. The sound design here is outstanding.

Nert

After finishing it this morning, I immediately started up a new file and played for another half an hour. Now that I know the solutions to all of the puzzles, it's really fun to just speed through the environments and watch all of the animations again.

HoosTrax

Bonus has been added for everyone who bought the game through Humble Bundle:

Humble Botanicula Debut said:
Humble Botanicula Debut Bonus Content
Amanita Design is upping the ante with oodles of bonus content: a Botanicula art book & map collection, a Kooky bonus pack featuring behind-the-scenes photographs & concept art film, the independent album Zorya from Machinarium soundtrack artist Floex (a.k.a. TomᚠDvořák), and the independent album HU from Botanicula soundtrack artist DVA.

Kooky bonus pack (101 MB)
Botanicula maps (4.8 MB)
Botanicula art book (34.8 MB)
Zorya – Floex (MP3) (111.4 MB)
Zorya – Floex (FLAC) (321.2 MB)
HU – DVA (MP3) (127 MB)
HU – DVA (FLAC) (329.2 MB)
And finally, Amanita Design's experimental interactive music project Osada has been added to the main download list above.

I'm guessing the artbook is the same one that's the "consolation prize" for people who pre-ordered through GoG.

I was going to wait for this to show up in another bundle, or a Steam sale, but I just sampled the soundtrack and damn it I can't resist. I paid full price for Machinarium at launch (which I don't regret) and then I bought the soundtrack on vinyl (which is pretty cool to listen to when stoned) and I think after I play this I'll end up ordering its soundtrack on vinyl also. I'm thinking amber?

I was going to wait for this to show up in another bundle, or a Steam sale, but I just sampled the soundtrack and damn it I can't resist. I paid full price for Machinarium at launch (which I don't regret) and then I bought the soundtrack on vinyl (which is pretty cool to listen to when stoned) and I think after I play this I'll end up ordering its soundtrack on vinyl also. I'm thinking amber?

Shit, I had no idea the soundtrack was on vinyl! Thanks for posting that.

BluWacky

It's all right. It's charming and funny and sweet but boring. I can't play more than 20 minutes at a time because it seems to blow its puzzle load after the first level and everything else is just more of the same.

Amanita should start thinking about branching out into more meatier projects, because these dull click fests are grating.

Did you play Machinarium? That was pretty much a full-blown adventure game, certainly compared to Samarost and Botanicula.

Just finished this up... damn adorable. Can't stop listening to the soundtrack either.

I needed help in one spot...
the sun token thing from the root area. Could not find that. Had no idea the lines could actually take you higher so once I learned that, I pulled out pencil and paper and did trial and error path notes.

Anyone know how many gifts you get for 123 cards? I found 116 without really trying...
though I would have been pissed if I had been trying because I clicked on the tongue guys so many damn times... then the turtle moved and I got the seed and he never showed up again - so I would have missed out on that card. Would have missed out on Mura too but that one was just me not looking that hard versus knowing I had one and then not getting it.

Otherwise, very happy with it. Makes me want plush pillow of all of them that when you squeeze it, it goes "oooohhh hoooo!". :)

Steam version has an update that, according to the Steam forums, fixes the Mythology achievement. For those curious about how to get it:

You need to talk to that elder mushroom all three times.

HoosTrax

Steam version has an update that, according to the Steam forums, fixes the Mythology achievement. For those curious about how to get it:

You need to talk to that elder mushroom all three times.
Yep, just tried it and it works now (I had a convenient save file luckily).

Btw, did anyone else get flashbacks to LIMBO
during the puppet show where they start pulling legs off the incapacitated spider archnemesis?

flowsnake

Did you play Machinarium? That was pretty much a full-blown adventure game, certainly compared to Samarost and Botanicula.

I decided to play Machinarium after Botanicula and remembered part of why I stopped playing it the first time - the abstract logic puzzles that seem to outnumber the usual adventure game environment/item puzzles. There's just so many of them...it really bogged it down for me. The sliding block puzzle was at least an easy one though.

I thought Botanicula was a nice middle ground between Machinarium and the even more clicky Samorosts, and that's why I like it most.

Played a little tonight, I really enjoy the moments where you're almost composing by play. The little helicopter type creatures buzzing around was the first moment where I really got that feeling.

Makes me really hungry for Samorost 3.

HoosTrax

I decided to play Machinarium after Botanicula and remembered part of why I stopped playing it the first time - the abstract logic puzzles that seem to outnumber the usual adventure game environment/item puzzles. There's just so many of them...it really bogged it down for me. The sliding block puzzle was at least an easy one though.
Yeah, Machinarium was one of the more puzzle-drive adventure games I've played since Sanitarium.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This game is pretty amazing. It's just so delightful.

The music is amazing, especially with how it integrates into the game.

The controls can be infuriating, especially anything that requires mouse movement.

Danielsan

Bought it yesterday after watching the quick look. Finished it this morning. Overall the game took me a bout 3 hours. Such a wonderful trippy game. Sometimes the controls aren't great, but it hardly effected my overall enjoyment of the game.

daviyoung

Banned

Haven't got round to that yet, just played Samarost and that Windowsill game, if it's a game. Machinarium's next after Botanicula, cheers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm stuck in the room with veiny fluff balls that turn red when you mouse over. I can't even get out. Help? :(

Weird orange jelly things are in here too. When I click them they move around the orb.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
everybody, stop madly searching for the answer to my question above, my amazing brain worked out the solution.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hmm, I had no problem flicking the white fluffy creatures off the kid while running full screen/100% size.

Just started playing last night, I just made it to
where you have to find the 14 chicken/hamster hybrid thingies
. Extremely charming and funny game, the animations and music has already put a whole bunch of grins on my face.
The singing toads, the whole genie part, and whenever you get to pick one of the 5 characters to try and solve a puzzle
being favorites so far. Some slightly unresponsive controls would be my only very minor complaint (game seems like it'd play much better on a touchscreen device).

That said, I have some questions... seems the game has a few "red herrings" in it, puzzles that I can't really tell have a purpose or whether or not I've been successful with them:

-In one area, there are 3 giant luminescent cocoons. If you press them in a certain sequence, a praying mantis creature will fly over to them, and it jumps and buzzes if you click on it. Is there any purpose to this?

-In another area, there are a bunch of ants and a funnel. Flicking an ant up and into the funnel, and the funnel melts down. But nothing else really happens after this.

-Another area, there's a woodpecker-esque creature that when you click on it, regurgitates stuff ranging from a leaf, a little enemy figure, and a giant flying bug. You can drag and move the woodpecker creature left and right... There's also an anthill, that when you click on... an ant moves to take a nearby leaf back to the hill. Any point to this?

-Finally, there's an area where a small insect jumps between leaves. If you keep on dragging off the leaves to remove the insect's hiding spot, he jumps in an anthill and then the stick-like character looks in the hole with his eyes. You can then click on your character to have him move his eye, but the insect will jump up and attack your character, resulting in a funny scene. Any point?

HoosTrax

There are a lot of "easter eggs" that involve interacting with things until a creature appears, usually unlocking an achievement. They're not required to advance, it's just meant to reward you for exploring / being thorough.

daviyoung

Banned
That said, I have some questions... seems the game has a few "red herrings" in it, puzzles that I can't really tell have a purpose or whether or not I've been successful with them

None of those are needed to progress onto the next map or level. However, they're needed if you want to collect all the cards and get all the achievements.

djtiesto

There are a lot of "easter eggs" that involve interacting with things until a creature appears, usually unlocking an achievement. They're not required to advance, it's just meant to reward you for exploring / being thorough.

Do you know if there is anything more I needed to do in those places mentioned above? I don't have it on Steam so I don't have achievements (not that achievements really matter much to me).

randomkid

Finally beat it, this sure was a lovely experience, pretty sure I'm Amanita 4 LYFE now.

Really weird how little attention the game's been getting, I get the feeling the bundle wasn't even as successful as they usually are? I just found out that they added the artbook I was looking for along with a whole mess of other stuff, kicked in some more money just for the generosity of it all.

Just finished the game, it was fantastic. Another extremely charismatic game from Amanita, the art and the music are beautiful, and the characters were really special.

I liked the part were you see
the Samorost cameo
. Also the whole
genie part
was amazing.

djtiesto

I just finished the game. Amazing game.

Yup, awesome game, I just beat it myself...
116/123

Really sad to see this game didn't get much attention on here, it's been a strong year for games so far but this one is definitely up there. It just oozes charm, my only complaint is some of the mouse controls don't work as well as they should... this became most annoying in the
escape from the worm sequence
and the
shooter sequence against the spiders at the end

Top Bottom