• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brave Frontier |OT| No puzzles, just dragons

Pbae

(T_T)

I give up. I've been running level one Alma for the longest time and still no drops. Hopefully I get to pull something good from the next Rare Summon pull to equal out all this schadenfreude. Hopefully I can make a team that's able to tackle the level 2 of Arctic Garden.

Phades

(T_T)

I give up. I've been running level one Alma for the longest time and still no drops. Hopefully I get to pull something good from the next Rare Summon pull to equal out all this schadenfreude. Hopefully I can make a team that's able to tackle the level 2 of Arctic Garden.

You still one more day for Alma. I don't know if the chick in the Arctic Garden is worth it (could have a good leader skill like Alma, so not sure). She does AOE damage + sick status effect (reduces healing). If you rely heavily on regen effects from a Phoenix or Rantoul, the fight will be kinda rough. She doesn't hit super hard though against non-fire units, so if you defense buff (undine/siren, Elimo, Aero if you have to) and bring some supplementary healing items and tonics, it should go fairly smoothly. I haven't managed to land a status effect on her yet, so I have no idea if she is weak to anything or not. Managed to clear it with a thunder kicks, rantoul, maria, gaia fist, and siren (siren lead for damage reduction) and a thunder eze support. None max leveled, ~15-30 tops with def ranging from the 400-500s in the low end.

She will spam her aoe attack a lot early on though, so early buffs and guarding might be required. I imagine Lv3 will be far more rough than Alma, but if you want the gem for completing all 3, gotta go for it...

Hellers

Added myself to the GAF sheet.

I'm actually in a weird spot - stuck on T2, 3rd Forest dungeon. The Undine at the end is just kicking my ass every single time. I can kill everything else fine, but I can't outheal her crazy AoE attack.

There's always a pattern to the boss AOE attacks. For example the boss in the last T2 forest dungeon fires it off every third turn. The trick seems to be to make sure you're as healed as possible and then put everyone in guard mode, ride it out and then heal up again. I tend to save my healer's brave burst for the first one of those.

If you can't survive it in guard mode you probably need to level up a bit for more HP.

Jinko

You still one more day for Alma. I don't know if the chick in the Arctic Garden is worth it (could have a good leader skill like Alma, so not sure). She does AOE damage + sick status effect (reduces healing). If you rely heavily on regen effects from a Phoenix or Rantoul, the fight will be kinda rough. She doesn't hit super hard though against non-fire units, so if you defense buff (undine/siren, Elimo, Aero if you have to) and bring some supplementary healing items and tonics, it should go fairly smoothly. I haven't managed to land a status effect on her yet, so I have no idea if she is weak to anything or not. Managed to clear it with a thunder kicks, rantoul, maria, gaia fist, and siren (siren lead for damage reduction) and a thunder eze support. None max leveled, ~15-30 tops with def ranging from the 400-500s in the low end.

She will spam her aoe attack a lot early on though, so early buffs and guarding might be required. I imagine Lv3 will be far more rough than Alma, but if you want the gem for completing all 3, gotta go for it...

I just did lvl 3 with a mono electric team and only had to spend one stone. (and that's only because I accidentally entered with my arena team .. no healer :O)

Got a frikkin Oracle of all things, :(, guess I'll keep trying for an anima.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There's always a pattern to the boss AOE attacks. For example the boss in the last T2 forest dungeon fires it off every third turn. The trick seems to be to make sure you're as healed as possible and then put everyone in guard mode, ride it out and then heal up again. I tend to save my healer's brave burst for the first one of those.

If you can't survive it in guard mode you probably need to level up a bit for more HP.

It's actually Cordelica -> Lomass Forest -> The Bandits' Trap

I think Cordelica is T3. Whatever the case, if you're already that far and have spare stam, try it out. There's definitely no pattern to Undine. She'll do some rounds with 3 attacks, some with 2 attacks and an AoE, some with 1 attack and 1 AoE, and some with 2 AoE attacks. What sucks is when she does 2 double AoE turns in a row. I can't heal through that with anything. It's super frustrating.

chrono01

I made a mistake on Juggernaut last night and killed him accidentally. Just 150,000 points away from the 850,000 requirement. ~_~

Here I go again!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I made a mistake on Juggernaut last night and killed him accidentally. Just 150,000 points away from the 850,000 requirement. ~_~

Here I go again!

Just a heads up that some people are finding their accounts locked/banned because of this exploit. I believe you can get your account back if you email them though.

Dumb question, but...how do you Guard, and what percentage of defense boost does it give you? There are some games where it does nothing but waste a turn and some that make it so that you take, like, 1 damage even from the biggest attacks, so I'm curious about this game.

Also, looks like I just got the earth starter from the common machine.

Phades

I just did lvl 3 with a mono electric team and only had to spend one stone. (and that's only because I accidentally entered with my arena team .. no healer :O)

Got a frikkin Oracle of all things, :(, guess I'll keep trying for an anima.

Nice. I don't think I can complete the level 3 yet, need more levels.... I don't have the characters for a mono electric team either.

I just got her as well (also Oracle). She is very different than she is an opponent. A walking BB crystal battery basically.

Edit: note Paralysis can stick on her invalidating one of her turns. I haven't seen weakness, injury, or posion stick.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Dumb question, but...how do you Guard, and what percentage of defense boost does it give you? There are some games where it does nothing but waste a turn and some that make it so that you take, like, 1 damage even from the biggest attacks, so I'm curious about this game.

Just swipe down.

As for how much it helps, it's hard to say. I can't remember, but the best thing to do is try it on some regular enemies. There's not a ton of data available for this game.

Phades

I'm not sure if it an absolute value change in defense or if it is % increase in defense. Casual observation would put it close to the difference that elemental bias gives (fire over earth for example). In short, it does make a noticable difference, but it isn't an overwhelming advantage.

You can get your defense high enough to where you only take 1pt of damage from incoming attacks, but I think your total defense will need to be near 2x~2.5x their attack value after all modifiers. This is a rough guess based off of what I've seen with my characters. For example, my 3rd teir (5 star) lava character has a defense of 1219 currently. Scrub earth element characters with attack around 500 do single digit damage to lava without defending. Although enemies in encounters tend to have properties that aren't represented with units that are captured, so I'm just estimating here.

chrono01

Just a heads up that some people are finding their accounts locked/banned because of this exploit. I believe you can get your account back if you email them though.
Yeah, I've read about that. It seems to be a mistake, though, since no hacks or anything is involved in the high score. If you email them, not only will they restore your account, but they'll also credit you with four free gems [apparently].

I guess it just looks suspicious for such high scores, but the strategy involved is a legit one. You're essentially tanking the boss with a "resist" team. Nothing wrong with that!

Thanks for the warning, though. I'll probably fail...again, since I'm already tiring of it. :/

Marvelous

I have 30 gems saved up and I want to use them... but I also want to wait for the next batch of units that may come out this month. :(

I'm getting by fairly okay with 5* Lodaga(?), 4* Lorand, 4* Selena, 4* Liddith and 3* Mimir so maybe waiting is the best option for me.

commish

I have 30 gems saved up and I want to use them... but I also want to wait for the next batch of units that may come out this month. :(

I'm getting by fairly okay with 5* Lodaga(?), 4* Lorand, 4* Selena, 4* Liddith and 3* Mimir so maybe waiting is the best option for me.

I need the next batch of units has some good units that are still used to clear the hardest content in Japan. I'd probably wait if you can... should be later this month, I think.

Marvelous

I need the next batch of units has some good units that are still used to clear the hardest content in Japan. I'd probably wait if you can... should be later this month, I think.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna wait. Guess I'll just continue farming for some Blood pelts and guardian eyes, haha.

Btw, I went to the Brave Frontier forum on appinvasion and apparently there's supposed to be a patch coming soon?

chrono01

Four hours later, Medulla Gem obtained! To those not determined, the Juggernaut farm strategy is not for the weak-willed [or the sane]. It's a very monotonous, soul-crushing process. :/

Regardless, I am done! \(^_^)/

As for the Rare Pulls, the only one I got that was any good was my first one [FIre Knight Lava]. I think I might wait to use my Gems until there are more Four/Five-Star ones, if just so I don't get so many useless ones. ~_~

Lan_97

Congrats on the medulla gem, I saw your Lava decked out with it this morning. I found out about the Juggernaut strategy a couple days too late to work up a proper team. Maybe next time.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Congrats on the medulla gem, I saw your Lava decked out with it this morning. I found out about the Juggernaut strategy a couple days too late to work up a proper team. Maybe next time.

Yeah, same. I finally got my Merith ready, but I thought I had time to run it today. I must have misunderstood the date. Whatever the case, I'll hopefully pick up one next time it's available.

Jinko

Lol you guys are crazy to even consider 4 hours of grind.

Servers are under maint, is today patch day ?

chrono01

Thanks, it was a long grind for sure, but music in the background helped retain my sanity [somewhat].

I'm sure they will make them available in more situations soon. The game is relatively new, after all!

Now to get to work on evolving my Fire Knight Lava...

Yeah, same. I finally got my Merith ready, but I thought I had time to run it today. I must have misunderstood the date. Whatever the case, I'll hopefully pick up one next time it's available.
Best of luck, my friend.

Lol you guys are crazy to even consider 4 hours of grind.

Servers are under maint, is today patch day ?
Honestly, it was a lot of time, and it's not recommended for those not as determined as I was. I did get a lot of other Spheres out of it, though, so it wasn't purely for the Medulla Gem. But mostly, it was. I need it!

I'm excited for the new Units, though. Of course, I only have five Gems so I can't actually summon them [or rather, try to], but when I do I can at least look forward to it.

Pbae

I'm fairly certain this game hates me.

3 pulls from the Rare Summon machine and I get a...

3* Weiss
4* Luna
3* Lario

plus no Alma drops...

I feel so defeated...

chrono01

Im almost tempted to put some cash down to try and get one of these new characters.
Same.

However, I already sink money into Puzzle & Dragons on occasion, so I'd rather not start here as well. I know once I do there will be no stopping me.

I do need more Fire members for my team, though, namely a Healer. :/

Phades

Im almost tempted to put some cash down to try and get one of these new characters.

I'm on the verge of being able to advance again and earn another 3 gems total. Mistral/Cordella/lv3 special dungeon, which will put me at 5. I was a little disapointed I couldn't manage to get further in the frontier hunter netting me a few more gems (3 for the maxwell stage clear flag). I just ran out of juice on the winged mimic fight and couldn't power through the one after it.

Gems come slow, but there should still be a few more to be had for most people by just playing the game for completion, rather than only farming.

Hot chef and phoenix only so far, so good luck with that. :(

Maybe wait for an event boosting odds of fire pulls before you do to narrow down the odds a bit...

Shouta

I wanted Alma too but I've had no luck at all with her. The new Arctic Garden one is a bit easier so I'll just focus on her because there's no time for Alma left, lol.

Jinko

Same.

However, I already sink money into Puzzle & Dragons on occasion, so I'd rather not start here as well. I know once I do there will be no stopping me.

Plus unlike pad you can pull something awesome and still get trolled with an oracle lol.

Edit:- Hot chefs sprite looks awesome in its final evolution.

chrono01

Hot chef and phoenix only so far, so good luck with that. :(

Maybe wait for an event boosting odds of fire pulls before you do to narrow down the odds a bit...
I would love to get a Lava/God Phoenix, even a Lancia would be amazing. I know I will not, however, I generally have horrible luck with these kinds of things.

I might just wait until there's an event, as you said. Would improve my odds of success.

Congrats. :)
Thanks! I have a feeling my mostly-fire team is going to get stomped in the Arctic Whatever dungeon, though.

As for a healer, I'm just using the light one I picked up from Alma's dungeon. I mostly have her guard until she needs to heal everyone. I did pick up a Trent, though. Does that eventually become the big tree everyone's raving about?

Also, aside from how she looks, what is so amazing about Alma? The version I picked up is Lord.

Jinko

Also, aside from how she looks, what is so amazing about Alma? The version I picked up is Lord.

BB guage fills after each turn, her 7 combo AoE is pretty decent in her final form.

Problem is Light and dark are pretty crappy for PvE because they both get trashed from their opposite element, good for Arena though.

chrono01

Thanks! I have a feeling my mostly-fire team is going to get stomped in the Arctic Whatever dungeon, though.

As for a healer, I'm just using the light one I picked up from Alma's dungeon. I mostly have her guard until she needs to heal everyone. I did pick up a Trent, though. Does that eventually become the big tree everyone's raving about?

Yeah, I'm using the Healer Merith that I leveled for Frontier Hunter. She's only a two-star, so it's not ideal, but it should hopefully suffice until I can manage another.

That Treant doesn't evolve into the God tree everyone talks about, unfortunately. He's only available via Rare summon. :(

As for Alma, I'm not entirely sure. I wanted her just because I need more powerful units. :/

Phades

I would love to get a Lava/God Phoenix, even a Lancia would be amazing. I know I will not, however, I generally have horrible luck with these kinds of things.

I might just wait until there's an event, as you said. Would improve my odds of success.

That would be the most sane approach, especially if you intend to drop down real cash for it. The waiting part would be the kick in the jimmies though, but not as strong of a kick compared to dropping down cash and getting 2nd teir mifune/zephry/Tactician/Luna copy #4 that you could have just farmed on your own.

Going to preface my next statement by saying phoenix helps a lot and is very tanky, but there are many times when you get hit with a big series of aoe and really need that big direct heal to the team instead. With actual healing items limited like they are, there is still a very real place for having characters similar to Maria within your roster to power through stuff like that. A lot of phoenix's healing can go to waste, since a lot of the time only 1-2 characters are really getting beat on enough to really warrant needing to be healed. The coverage gives insurance, but for only 3 turns and most of the time you need 4 to refill the bar (this is where +def boost characters can turn into perma defense stone boosts for the team regardless of element present as they last 4 turns typically).

If you want to get a feel for what phoenix healing is like, capture the water unit rantoul and evolve him. Not as good as phoenix stat wise (and wrong element for you), but the healing effect is basically the same. Similarly, if you could figure out how in the name of Zeus's bunghole to capture a dryad and evolve it into a high elf, you would have a earth character that can not only regen, but buff the defense of everyone at the same time.

Jinko

I've found for a lot of the lvl 3 stuff I've needed 2 healers, alternating between then whilst the others BB gauge fills up.

You lose some burst but generally the fight goes much smoother.

Phades

Alma is an alternate for Aem for passive BB gauge filling. She has decent stats all around, but otherwise fairly generic. Aem has a better attack value though.

If you were building a light team with Alma, Aem, Luna, etc, they would be fairly potent together I think without having to try and rely on stuff like the Archangel for a filler unit.

I've found for a lot of the lvl 3 stuff I've needed 2 healers, alternating between then whilst the others BB gauge fills up.

Yep, no arguements there. Unless you are fighting something that doesn't use status effects and you have a plethora of divine lights laying around, it seems difficult to avoid having 2 characters like that.

chrono01

That would be the most sane approach, especially if you intend to drop down real cash for it. The waiting part would be the kick in the jimmies though, but not as strong of a kick compared to dropping down cash and getting 2nd teir mifune/zephry/Tactician/Luna copy #4 that you could have just farmed on your own.

Going to preface my next statement by saying phoenix helps a lot and is very tanky, but there are many times when you get hit with a big series of aoe and really need that big direct heal to the team instead. With actual healing items limited like they are, there is still a very real place for having characters similar to Maria within your roster to power through stuff like that. A lot of phoenix's healing can go to waste, since a lot of the time only 1-2 characters are really getting beat on enough to really warrant needing to be healed. The coverage gives insurance, but for only 3 turns and most of the time you need 4 to refill the bar (this is where +def boost characters can turn into perma defense stone boosts for the team regardless of element present as they last 4 turns typically).

If you want to get a feel for what phoenix healing is like, capture the water unit rantoul and evolve him. Not as good as phoenix stat wise (and wrong element for you), but the healing effect is basically the same. Similarly, if you could figure out how in the name of Zeus's bunghole to capture a dryad and evolve it into a high elf, you would have a earth character that can not only regen, but buff the defense of everyone at the same time.
Thanks for this. I'll definitely keep it in-mind. :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I wonder if I could take on Alma lvl 3 with my wood team. I typically run Phoenix as a healer, but I could add Elimo or a fairy or something. Level 2 is manageable, but Alma still hits pretty damn hard.

commish

I wonder if I could take on Alma lvl 3 with my wood team. I typically run Phoenix as a healer, but I could add Elimo or a fairy or something. Level 2 is manageable, but Alma still hits pretty damn hard.

I did it with my black team with just a 4-star tree as a healer.

Phades

Thanks for this. I'll definitely keep it in-mind. :)

Hopefully you and others get the pulls you want sooner rather than later. The feeling of being stuck is strong with this game and probably the only real bad thing about it. Other aspects like the energy regen could use a tweak, but aren't terrible.

Could go Elimo and Phoenix with 3 attackers. Fairy would have to be guarding a lot while with a defense buff from Elimo, you could get by with less guarding or need to use defense potions/stones. Have Elimno lead heal after the first real wave of damage you get, then use Phoenix the following turn to keep the team realitvely healthy and just pop a potion if someone gets singled out and repeate the cycle 3 turns later. Should be rock solid.

Top Bottom