• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braveheart vs. Gladiator? You can only watch one for the rest of your life!

Braveheart vs. Gladiator?

• Braveheart

Votes: 66 40.7%
  • Gladiator

Votes: 96 59.3%

• Total voters

Eiknarf

Banned
Braveheart vs. Gladiator?

You can only watch one for the rest of your life!
Which would you choose?
(So, "Braveheart vs. Gladiator, which is better?")

Audiophile

Probs Gladiator, I'm not usually bothered by most stuff (heck, Requiem For A Dream is a fave of mine I've watched 4 times) but Bravehart's ending kinda curdles my stomache a bit.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Both fantastic films but I would give it to Gladiator. Ancient Rome is just a better setting than 13th Century Scotland, and the final 10 minutes is just perfection in its directing, editing, storytelling, and music.

As a father, Maximus’s quest for revenge hits a lot harder now, and that ending fucks me up way more than it used to. In a good way.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Gladiator and Braveheart are both fantasy stories with a historical backdrop tbh.

Agreed.

I will add that Gladiator is more historically accurate. That says a lot about Braveheart, which is so inaccurate it's actually insulting to both the English and Scottish. Complete fantasy with story, clothing, weapons, battles....... complete bullshit.

I'd rather watch neither film, but if being forced at gunpoint it would have to be Gladiator.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Agreed.

I will add that Gladiator is more historically accurate. That says a lot about Braveheart, which is so inaccurate it's actually insulting to both the English and Scottish. Complete fantasy with story, clothing, weapons, battles....... complete bullshit.

I'd rather watch neither film, but if being forced at gunpoint it would have to be Gladiator.
Yeah, people like Marcus Aurelius and Commodus are portrayed vaguely similarly to their real life counterparts at vaguely the right place in history with vaguely the right kind of things going on. By Hollywood standards even getting 10% of the way there is above average.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Commodus is one of the all time greatest scumbags in Cinema. Gotta give credit to Edward Longjeans too though. When comparing the two films, it's easily to see how amazing both are. Maximus is a fantastic protagonist, but so is William. Gladiator has a great soundtrack, but so does Braveheart. There's no wrong answer to this question.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Braveheart by a bit. But horniness, gladiator has Connie Nielsen!

It’s weird, I think gladiators fight scenes should be better because they are big spectacles like the starting fight in the forest and roller derby chariot scene. But I like bravehearts Mano on Mano melee scrums. And the fight where he single-handedly raids that small fort.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

I voted Gladiator, love them both though.

Not many people know a sequal come out a few yrs back to Braveheart called Robbert the Bruce played by the same actor. Its fucking shit thought , just the cunt being depressed about being a dirty traitor and wanking off to some spider in a cave, if you watch it expecting swash buckleing swing an axe to the skull type of stuff your going to be very sad.

Mossybrew

Well I watched both of these once back in the day and never had any desire to watch them again. I think I enjoyed Gladiator more.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Yeah, people like Marcus Aurelius and Commodus are portrayed vaguely similarly to their real life counterparts at vaguely the right place in history with vaguely the right kind of things going on. By Hollywood standards even getting 10% of the way there is above average.
Don't get me started on Hollywood inaccuracy, the US capturing an enigma machine in some ww2 movie really fucking annoyed me but tbf to Mel he really knocked it out of the park with Apocalypto capturing the dying empire brilliantly

bender

What time is it?
Braveheart kind of sucks so I'll default to Gladiator. I'd could easily live with a neither option.

j0hnnix

Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

Braveiator..

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Love both movies but Gladiator gets a yearly watch in this household, it really is a timeless classic, deffo one of Scott's best

Last edited:

Madflavor

Gold Member
So here's my take on Braveheart. I think it's a fantastic film, but I would say the first half of Braveheart is a 10/10, but the second half is an 8/10. Still great, but it's got issues. His whole romance subplot with the Queen of France is fucking stupid and kinda hurts the character imo. Also the last 10 minutes of Braveheart, is just miserable and depressing, whereas the last 10 minutes of Gladiator is so satisfying. It's a perfect mixture of triumph, sadness, and optimism.

"I will see you again, but not yet. Not yet." Is such a wonderful outlook on life and death.

Melon Husk

My heart says Braveheart. Gladiator is too serious and "Hollywood". I would get tired of rewatching it.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
It’s been years since I’ve seen either of them, and if I had to choose based off recollection I’d give it to Gladiator. It has more memorable scenes, but that Braveheart theme song was a banger. I think the storyline was also more intense and enthralling in Braveheart. Fuck, I don’t know.

RIP James Horner.

lachesis

As a movie, I like Gladiator better. Braveheart has Sophie Marceau though, as I have soft spot for her since my youth days in 80s.

Billbofet

I honestly don't know. I haven't seen either in years, but I feel Gladiator has a lot more downtime.....I'm not sure.
Damn, now I have to rewatch both!

My gut tells me Gladiator.

BlackTron

I watched Braveheart exactly once over 20 years ago. I don't know if I should watch it again before voting, or maybe that is my vote.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I watched Braveheart earlier this year and... I really didn't like it very much.

Agreed.

FFS they depicted the Battle of Stirling Bridge on a hill with no water or bridges around it. Like, I get dramatic license, but Mel, please.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I watched Braveheart earlier this year and... I really didn't like it very much.

FFS they depicted the Battle of Stirling Bridge on a hill with no water or bridges around it. Like, I get dramatic license, but Mel, please.

I could actually forgive that if the rest of the film was accurate. I might even forgive the ridiculous clothing (Kilts weren't worn until the sixteenth century) if the film wasn't revisionist nonsense.

Good example. In the film we're shown that William Wallace bangs Isabella of France and gets her pregnant. This would mean the future King Edward III, one of England's greatest kings, was fathered by William Wallace and is half Scottish!

In reality Isabella and Wallace never came into contact. Isabella was 10 years old and living in France when Wallace died in 1305.

That's just one example of historical revisionism in that film.

Fuck, I hate that movie.

Top Bottom