• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braveheart vs. Gladiator? You can only watch one for the rest of your life!

Braveheart vs. Gladiator?

• Braveheart

Votes: 66 40.7%
  • Gladiator

Votes: 96 59.3%

• Total voters

Inspector Q

Gladiator is basically a 10/10 for me and is one of my favorite movies ever and yet I voted for Braveheart.

The soundtrack and just sheer emotion of Braveheart eclipses all other movies for me.

AnoZeZ.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
All men betray. All lose heart.

I don't want to lose heart. I want to belieeeeve, as he does.

Always loved that scene. Going with sugar tits Mel on this one.

According to my mother Braveheart was the first time I teared up while watching a movie. Why was I allowed to watch it as kid? I have no idea. But when she needs to embarass me she shouts "FREEEEDDDOOOMMMM"

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Gladiator is basically a 10/10 for me and is one of my favorite movies ever and yet I voted for Braveheart.

The soundtrack and just sheer emotion of Braveheart eclipses all other movies for me.

AnoZeZ.gif
I always reckoned they cut a lot of that out at the end - I mean you can hear him getting cut open but you don't see it. Now its not that I want to necessarily see it however after all the blood and guts in the rest of the film its strange this was omitted unless they couldn't get the rating for it.

Trunx81

Braveheart was utter garbage, made to satisfy Mel Gibsons anglophobia (and came back for a second bite with 'The Patriot') and to provide catnip to the Scottish Nationalist cunteroos.
Speaking of The Patriot - who had the glorious idea that red coats are amazing camouflage material?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Gladiator all day every day. But before I bid fair well to brave heart I will watch it again

My dad hated brave heart and the patriot. Plus u571. He didn’t line how they portrayed the English. In u571 he was annoyed that no Brit’s were portrayed in any roles.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Speaking of The Patriot - who had the glorious idea that red coats are amazing camouflage material?
Back then most units did not want to be inconspicuous, they wanted to be easily identifiable so they wouldn't get targeted by their own artillery or cavalry. There were skirmishers with somewhat more concealing colors.

wD3AQv1.jpeg

Gp1

Back then most units did not want to be inconspicuous, they wanted to be easily identifiable so they wouldn't get targeted by their own artillery or cavalry. There were skirmishers with somewhat more concealing colors.

wD3AQv1.jpeg

Even today the soldiers in Ukraine uses bright red and blue tapes in their gear to differentiate friend and foe.

And not only that, imagine thousands of men firing black smoke imprecise rifles for hours, cannons/artillery at point blank range...
The bright colors are to know where to shot at.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Gladiator.

I like Braveheart, I've watched it maybe 10 times. Sometimes if I'm in a certain mood it's just the corniest thing ever and I can't stop just laughing at it.

AgatonSax

No offence but Braveheart is for simpletons who probably cry like bitches. Reminds me of that Monkeydust sketch. This will probably get some of you bawling…

Madflavor

Gold Member
I just rewatched Braveheart and shit, I don't know. They're both such excellent films. I think there are a few things Braveheart definitely has over Gladiator, but I think what I enjoy more about Gladiator is that the last 10 minutes of that film is just perfection, whereas the last 40 minutes of Braveheart is just miserable. Not bad, just miserable and depressing. Gladiator's ending is sad yes, but it's also triumphant and incredible satisfying.

Last edited:
Braveheart walked so Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, and The Last Duel could run. Braveheart any day for me. It has a better music score too imo.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm watching the extended edition of Gladiator for the first time right now, haven't seen Gladiator in quite some time but the thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is Hans Zimmer's soundtrack during action sequences.

it is so insanely similar to Pirates of the Caribbean it just trainwrecks the atmosphere. It gives super serious moments a weird swashbuckling vibe.

His more ambient stuff is amazing though, as always.

Sybrix

Both great films, but Gladiator trumps it for me, Oliver Reed is such an epic actor, this scene alone takes the movie to biblical status:

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
I'm watching the extended edition of Gladiator for the first time right now, haven't seen Gladiator in quite some time but the thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is Hans Zimmer's soundtrack during action sequences.

it is so insanely similar to Pirates of the Caribbean it just trainwrecks the atmosphere. It gives super serious moments a weird swashbuckling vibe.

His more ambient stuff is amazing though, as always.
Oh interesting.
I only saw one of the ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ movies, and only watched it once back when it originally came out, but I love A/B-ing (comparing) shit. I’m gonna have to listen to the score/soundtrack of each film side by side

Muffdraul

I voted Braveheart simply because I can barely remember any of it except the end. Gladiator isn't my favorite movie or anything, but I remember most of it.

Top Bottom